Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zeris posted:

It was a CIA plot to test needles that had been used for vaccinations for Bin Laden's DNA, hoping that his kids were just strolling around whereeverthefuck, Pakistan.

It's not like a CIA plot was really necessary to get the Taliban chasing after aid workers though. That hobby goes back to the 90s.

The bin Laden thing wasn't the first or last time that tactic was used. USAID for example has had its mission undermined for decades because people don't trust the legitimate aid workers aren't spies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Good news for those fire victims, UK government has let them stay in some luxury flats nearby the tower (yay Corbyn)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40357280

Edit and more news, police officer stabbed in Michigan airport

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/877562977309704193

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 21, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeris posted:

1. Having lived in Wardak, green makes sense.
They're talking about Wardak the Defense Minister, not Wardak the province. Unless you were his secret Bacha Boy top...

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Good news for those fire victims, UK government has let them stay in some luxury flats nearby the tower (yay Corbyn)

lol, nope, they're next to luxury flats. The flats themselves are "social housing", so...

BBC posted:

Sixty-eight social housing flats in Kensington, London, are to be made available to survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire, the government has said.

The one, two and three-bedroom flats are located in two blocks that stand alongside a large luxury development, where private homes go for up to £8.5m.

[The luxury development] includes a 24-hour concierge service and a private cinema, the website of developer St Edward says, but it is thought unlikely the new tenants from Grenfell will have access to such facilities.

e: ahahaha goddamn, the article is like an ad for the housing development that gloats about how much better the luxury flats are compared to the social housing.

BBC luxury housing ad posted:

Nestled off Kensington High Street, and a short distance from Westfield shopping centre, Kensington Row is the perfect example of London's booming real estate market.

It's £700 a week to rent a one-bedroom flat - for that price you get to live in the same borough as Prince William and Simon Cowell.

Builders are beavering away to finish the new blocks for the incoming residents, whilst placards that surround the site promise you can "find yourself in the clouds" after you move in.

You get a true feel for the development from the flats already completed.
On the hottest day of the year so far, the sun reflects off balconies and glass panels onto the tree-lined street and busy main road. The flats all have the luxury finish you would expect of this area - but of course the social housing blocks won't have the same trimmings.

Anta fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 21, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

Coincidentally, Ossoff made the election a referendum on Handel's wasteful spending and avoiding statements on policy instead of saying "Handel will do everything Trump and the Senate want, including destroy your employer-backed healthcare". Handel tied Ossoff to Pelosi, ISIS, and the dude who shot up the Congressional Baseball Practice.

(pro tip: Republicans don't actually give a poo poo about spending, they care about whether that spending was used on anything besides tax cuts/the military.)

Democrats will continue to lose close elections because they offer no policy difference from the Republicans (aside from stupid poo poo like gun control), nor do they have the balls to paint their opponents as terrorist lunatics. Therefore, why should a Republican electorate settle?

The factually incorrect second part of your post aside, you're really missing the point here. Democrats took a district won by the previous Republican incumbent by 23 points in 2016 and chiseled that lead down to 4. Them winning against that kind of headwind was never going to really happen, but what's surprising is that they managed to shift that number of votes over. In the South Carolina race, they took a race won by 20 points by the previous Republican incumbent and shrank the lead to 3.

More broadly, every single special election this year involved seats in ultra-conservative areas. The Democrats managed to shrink the margins considerably. The idea is that if this kind of shift can be applied to competitive districts, they'll stand to flip a large number of seats in 2018.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 21, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This would be like some random R showing up in Pelosi's district and losing 52/48

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A NATO F-16 buzzed a Russian plane over the Baltic, it happened to be carrying their defence minister.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

A Nato official later said in a statement that the alliance "can confirm that three Russian aircraft, including two fighters, were tracked over the Baltic Sea earlier today (Wednesday)".
"As the aircraft did not identify themselves or respond to air traffic control, Nato fighter jets scrambled to identify them, according to standard procedures. Nato has no information as to who was on board. We assess the Russian pilots' behaviour as safe and professional."

Does freedom of navigation work in the air just like the sea? Obviously only applicable to militaries of course.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:laffo:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

hobbesmaster posted:

Does freedom of navigation work in the air just like the sea? Obviously only applicable to militaries of course.

Oh if only...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

The factually incorrect second part of your post aside, you're really missing the point here. Democrats took a district won by the previous Republican incumbent by 23 points in 2016 and chiseled that lead down to 4. Them winning against that kind of headwind was never going to really happen, but what's surprising is that they managed to shift that number of votes over. In the South Carolina race, they took a race won by 20 points by the previous Republican incumbent and shrank the lead to 3.

More broadly, every single special election this year involved seats in ultra-conservative areas. The Democrats managed to shrink the margins considerably. The idea is that if this kind of shift can be applied to competitive districts, they'll stand to flip a large number of seats in 2018.

i will wait until the next round of elections to decide whether or not it is a big deal. it could be an anomaly and the 2018 elections could be back to a 20+ point win for republicans.

what i'm saying is i dont expect democrats to capitalize on this in a meaningful way.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If winning wasn't possible, then spending $30M was a bad decision. Also oddsmakers had dems winning. It was absolutely considered winnable 24 hours ago. This is reality shifting to cover an L. Also Trump barely won the district. Maybe deciding to not run against Trump and instead running on (ERROR: ARRAY UNDEFINED NO DATA) was a mistake.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Dead Reckoning posted:

They're talking about Wardak the Defense Minister, not Wardak the province. Unless you were his secret Bacha Boy top...

gently caress

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Best Friends posted:

If winning wasn't possible, then spending $30M was a bad decision. Also oddsmakers had dems winning. It was absolutely considered winnable 24 hours ago. This is reality shifting to cover an L. Also Trump barely won the district. Maybe deciding to not run against Trump and instead running on (ERROR: ARRAY UNDEFINED NO DATA) was a mistake.

I'm not entirely sure Russia is done influencing elections either.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best Friends posted:

It was considered a complete tossup with a Republican advantage given voting history.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This would be like some random R showing up in Pelosi's district and losing 52/48

Pretend I searched for and posted that Vin Diesel gif from the dumb Furious series where he says that it doesn't matter where you win by an inch or a mile.

Pelosi still wins the seat.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Best Friends posted:

It's not that cut and dry. Political money is weird nowadays - it's almost more of a struggle to spend it than raise it in high profile campaigns. It's not like there were other races to spend it on, and if it weren't for the GA-09 special election that money may not have even been raised in the first place (most of the D money came from within the district). Should they have just saved it for the 2018 house race in that district? Or spent it on statewide races where they stand even less of a chance?

And while it's fair to point out Handel did about as well as Trump there, it's also worth nothing that she performed much, much worse than Price in 2016. Spending $30m to seriously contest a seat that was just a few months ago a foregone conclusion and the media narrative that helps drive ("are Republicans in trouble?") is arguably worthwhile.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

lol

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pretend I searched for and posted that Vin Diesel gif from the dumb Furious series where he says that it doesn't matter where you win by an inch or a mile.

Pelosi still wins the seat.

Pretend that a gif of Vin Diesel exists in which he enters a race that he usually wins by at least 17-20 car lengths. Except this year, he races and only wins by 2-3 car lengths and also has to dump a ton of NOS when he can usually get away with using very little.

He still wins the race and winning is winning. But now other racers from his crew who usually only win by 2-3 car lengths are in trouble because this new :rice: crew are now performing better as seen in Diesels race and could very well beat them at the next race. Diesel still wins the race. Except now the number of people in his crew have dropped by a significant amount, and Paul Walker is still dead. :iiaca:

I don't understand why people are having a hard time seeing the bigger picture. There's no certainty or guarantee in all of this.The democrats can still gently caress this up massively, but the fact they are competitive in those districts means the GOP are going to have issues during the mid-terms at this rate, regardless if you can see that or not. Hell, if the Dems are this competitive in deep red districts, and the GOP needs to dump gobs of money to keep the seat, it's going to be a lot harder when you have 100 competitive races to dump money into.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's not that cut and dry. Political money is weird nowadays - it's almost more of a struggle to spend it than raise it in high profile campaigns. It's not like there were other races to spend it on, and if it weren't for the GA-09 special election that money may not have even been raised in the first place (most of the D money came from within the district). Should they have just saved it for the 2018 house race in that district? Or spent it on statewide races where they stand even less of a chance?

And while it's fair to point out Handel did about as well as Trump there, it's also worth nothing that she performed much, much worse than Price in 2016. Spending $30m to seriously contest a seat that was just a few months ago a foregone conclusion and the media narrative that helps drive ("are Republicans in trouble?") is arguably worthwhile.

It's also worth pointing out a large chunk of the money Ossoff spent was raised locally, whereas most of Handel's money came from the National GOP and national groups.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 21, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Thanks, bud.

I see the big picture.

I also see that democrats aren't voting like they could.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

If the R's had run someone with any charisma what so ever it would have been way worse. Her seat comes up for election in a bit more than a year, so if the Dem's can find anyone with as much Charisma as Ossof it isn't unlikely to win the district if the Republican party get's a bit less popular.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

EBB can you deliver some truly disgusting Fast and Furious avs so we can finish the simile circlejerk in style?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Edit and more news, police officer stabbed in Michigan airport

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/877562977309704193

The officer was smoking and the civilian was just trying to get home safe.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeris posted:

gently caress

"Yeah man, I pretty much lived in the defense minister's dirty butthole for six months, earned the gently caress out of that deployment ribbon."

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zeris posted:

It was a CIA plot to test needles that had been used for vaccinations for Bin Laden's DNA, hoping that his kids were just strolling around whereeverthefuck, Pakistan.

It's not like a CIA plot was really necessary to get the Taliban chasing after aid workers though. That hobby goes back to the 90s.

Speaking of CIA plots, this particular revelation managed to not be news anywhere I've seen:
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/20...erm=Flashpoints

quote:

64 Years Later, CIA Finally Releases Details of Iranian Coup:

New documents reveal how the CIA attempted to call off the failing coup — only to be salvaged at the last minute by an insubordinate spy.

Not that they tried to call it off due to a sudden influx of foresight mind you, but interesting news nonetheless.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

EBB can you deliver some truly disgusting Fast and Furious avs so we can finish the simile circlejerk in style?

Too busy right now

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Speaking of CIA plots, this particular revelation managed to not be news anywhere I've seen:
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/20...erm=Flashpoints

Not that they tried to call it off due to a sudden influx of foresight mind you, but interesting news nonetheless.

I thought that was common knowledge. I saw that in a documentary last year.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Zeris posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a few pictures of burnt out Porsches on a flash drive somewhere. Will that work?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Keep in mind these special elections were hand picked to fill the positions they moved in to. They were chosen to have no risk at all to the current majority.

Yet they're turning into nail biter races.

There's a loving blood bath coming for republicans, just not before the country finishes slamming it's dick in the car door they chose in November.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a few pictures of burnt out Porsches on a flash drive somewhere. Will that work?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

"When this baby hits 88140 MPH, you're going to see some serious poo poo."

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 21, 2017

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

died like he lived

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A WSJ writer had a source that was basically an arms dealer. The arms dealer later offered him a 10% stake in a new arms dealing company. The WSJ writer took the deal.

The AP found out about it while they were doing a story on the arms dealer.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/877611649678442496

https://apnews.com/d71bf1b8c2304329866441ec4089760f?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics

He was the chief foreign affairs correspondent for WSJ.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 21, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

:vince:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Unsatisfied with with loving people as a reporter, Jerry decided to gently caress third world nations with guns instead.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

A WSJ writer had a source that was basically an arms dealer. The arms dealer later offered him a 10% stake in a new arms dealing company. The WSJ writer took the deal.

The AP found out about it while they were doing a story on the arms dealer.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/877611649678442496

https://apnews.com/d71bf1b8c2304329866441ec4089760f?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics

He was the chief foreign affairs correspondent for WSJ.

Good to see the WSJ keeping people with good business sense

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Zeris posted:

I thought that was common knowledge. I saw that in a documentary last year.

Yeah it's covered pretty well in the book "All the Shah's Men"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EXCLUSIVE: Sen. Tom Cotton Intern Calls British ‘Faggots’ and Paul Ryan a ‘Cuck’ in Audio Recording

This guy literally sounds like an unhinged cartoon character.

Also, come for the "Benedict Arnold was a homosexual" comment and stay for the stupid "only 3% of colonists fought the British, makes you think!" trope.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It turns out being a drunken USA-bro can get you some congressional jobs. Unless this internship was unpaid, in which case lmao, did he just gently caress himself over for "experience?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Turns out interns are idiots

• Locked thread