Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I've been playing through open source Morrowind (openmw.org), and though I have a few slight niggles its definitely the way I would go as a first time player. I'm playing essentially vanilla with only the watercolour palette mod and a few less generic npc mods.

I always found that I would:

spend a few hours modding like 40 small mods onto the game

realise even on my very good computer distant land made the game chug and have to spend another few hours fiddling with settings

remember how unstable the game is, eventually leading to a crash due to mod conflicts a few hours in

then lose interest.

On the other hand, I've been playing this installation of OpenMW for 40-50 hrs with zero crashes and perfect framerate. There have been no mod conflicts but if there are its easy to add/remove mods without destabilising the installation. I honestly would not want to play it any other way at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Seconding the OpenMW recommendation. For me it runs better & faster than vanilla Morrowind, even with distant land enabled in the settings file. Not as fancy as MGE-XE's distant land (yet) but it's there. I haven't even played OG Morrowind in like a year, just been using OpenMW.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

No don't

The AI and damage in openmw are hosed

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

No don't

How do you mean?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm sure this is sacrilegious or something, but at this point, the only way I really see myself running through Morrowind all the way again is if a mod changes the magic casting system to MMO tab targeting and hotbar button pressing.

When I fight an enemy, let me tab target it, then I'll go about doing my normal dancing around and spamming left click combat routine, but when I want to cast a spell, I just want to hit a number on the keyboard and have the spell automatically fly straight toward the target and even change direction if it needs to. Maybe even calculate a chance-to-miss percentage to make it fair. I just don't really want to have to manually aim spells when I cast. Simple as that.

Welp that's my mod wish. Thanks for listening.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Have you tried increasing whichever GMST governs the speed of projectile spells? I don't really see the need for homing spells as most combat seems to take at short range and most enemies don't move quickly anyway except for cliff racers which have a large aggro range and get into melee range quickly. Then again I am used to the projectile speed of BTBs mods which are several times that of vanilla Morrowind.

Also, I think there are mods for more quick key bars.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Give all your spells a 5 ft radius and aim for the floor in front of people or walls near them.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mak0rz posted:

Hi, I installed Morrowind... for the first time!

I'm new to TES and the remotely closest things I've ever played to it are Fallouts 1-3 and New Vegas. I didn't grow up on PCRPGs like a lot of people I know did. What are some general tips for a beginner like me?

There are a ton of factions in this game. Find a few you like and start doing quests for them. For me, the best part of the game is the feeling of my character "living" in Morrowind instead of just loving around in Morrowind. It's easy to gently caress around in Morrowind because the ai is so goofy and there's so much stuff you can steal, but the more you try to have your character do things their way instead of the quickest path to power, the more fun it can be.

That said, ~ brings up the console. type tcl to turn off clipping. There will be a day where your legs get caught in a rock or a log and you will need this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vavrek posted:

Top two 'mod' recommendations are the Morrowind Code Patch and MGE-XE. The Code Patch fixes bugs and allows for a variety of quality-of-life improvements (like showing ownership). MGE-XE is used for additional resolutions/ratios, as well as viewable distant land if you don't want to rock distance fog like it's '02.

I'm not sure if there's any way to add fast travel like there is in any of the Fallouts; Morrowind has a collection of teleport spells to get you out of sticky situations, and transit networks between major cities. Going from town to a dungeon or quest objective is always done on foot.

General tips: Look for synergies in race/class mixes. Try to have a weapon skill above 50 at the start of the game. A Redguard favoring Long Blade is good for this. Custom classes are cool, and allow you to focus a bit tighter (you generally don't need as many weapon/armor skills as default classes come with).

Something I haven't seen other people mention much, but which I've found useful: The Fighters and Mages Guilds of each town have restocking supply chests, with a collection of handy potions, available for any members. They're also usually right next to each other in town and the Mages Guilds will teleport you between guildhalls. If you meet entry requirements (grab Mysticism as a class skill, it's good for those teleports, and then the Mages'll let you in), you can quickly teleport all across the island and grab like 80 potions.

Welcome to Morrowind.

This is helpful. Thanks! The normal game seems to run fine so I'll skip using OpenMW.

Cephas posted:

That said, ~ brings up the console. type tcl to turn off clipping. There will be a day where your legs get caught in a rock or a log and you will need this.

I have like 180 hours logged in Fallout: New Vegas alone. I'm no stranger to having to tcl my way out of tight spaces :)

Can someone confirm this for me?

Mak0rz posted:

I'm using the Steam version in Windows 10 64-bit. Do I need to reinstall it in a different directory?

I don't want to go through the nonsense of changing my Steam library folder and whatnot.

Edit: I'm trying to install the Chocolate Patch using the included WyreMash and I must be dumb because I have no idea what I'm doing. I open Mash, select the install directory, and then... nothing happens. The window disappears.

Also is there actually a list of poo poo the patch contains and an explanation of what each mod does?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 21, 2017

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

No don't

Well, I've played through Morrowind twice before playing openmw and noticed no difference so...

If there are differences I'd say they are small enough to not matter to 99% of users. Morrowind AI was always terrible.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

How do you mean?

Stumiester posted:

Well, I've played through Morrowind twice before playing openmw and noticed no difference so...

If there are differences I'd say they are small enough to not matter to 99% of users. Morrowind AI was always terrible.

AI can't open doors in exteriors and have terrible pathfinding, see related bugs:
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3227
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1997
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2229
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2239
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2305
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3524
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2812

the damage bug appears to have been fixed recently, but there's still some wacky bugs like
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3639
"NPCs shoot slow arrows" slow enough to friggin sidestep them lmao

I also had a few spells go through creatures which pissed me off
https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3372

with MWSE and proper distant land/shader support there is 0 reason to use openmw over MGEXE vanilla unless you think you're cool by running linux

Mak0rz posted:

Also is there actually a list of poo poo the patch contains and an explanation of what each mod does?
it isn't a patch, it's a "pack" of mods. check my post history for a good minimalist list of mods and don't bother with chocolate pack.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sure this is sacrilegious or something, but at this point, the only way I really see myself running through Morrowind all the way again is if a mod changes the magic casting system to MMO tab targeting and hotbar button pressing.

When I fight an enemy, let me tab target it, then I'll go about doing my normal dancing around and spamming left click combat routine, but when I want to cast a spell, I just want to hit a number on the keyboard and have the spell automatically fly straight toward the target and even change direction if it needs to. Maybe even calculate a chance-to-miss percentage to make it fair. I just don't really want to have to manually aim spells when I cast. Simple as that.

this is the most retarded thing i've ever heard jesus christ dude.... absolutely not lmfao

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

it isn't a patch, it's a "pack" of mods. check my post history for a good minimalist list of mods and don't bother with chocolate pack.

I know that (accidentally referred to it as a "patch" in that post), but I would still like my question answered.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I know that (accidentally referred to it as a "patch" in that post), but I would still like my question answered.

well to answer your question the chocolate pack isn't supported anymore and the guy who could answer why things are that way isn't around

it used to have a website with documentation but that doesn't exist either, hence the "don't bother with it" comment

e: shameless plug, the winners of the morrowind modathon got announced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDDz_Iej5lQ
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44989/ <- my entry
second place baby :toot:

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Reported.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

There was a mod that let you cast whatever spell you had selected with your weapon out but it effectively removed the casting animation for you and all NPCs. Any mages you fought could cast their spells all at once and gently caress you up.

What I'm trying to say is: your mod idea should only be allowed if NPCs can do it too and destroy you extremely quickly.

Poniard fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 22, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I love Morrowind's combat and think it could benefit from being more rather than less spergy. Dice roll mechanics are an absolute necessity to prevent Oblivion and Skyrim style damage sponge enemies.

IMO your maximum chance to hit anything should be capped at around 70%-75%, the spell chance/cost formula should make it much harder to cast stronger spells and the penalty for failing to cast a spell should be much harsher and give players penalties that only expire after x amount of hours of gameplay in real time. A damage penetration system a la Pillars of Eternity would be nice too, though the basic armour equations already favour larger rather than more frequent hits.

Also rest/saving restrictions in Dungeons and caves.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Make it so.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The dilemma of playing Morrowind again is that there are cool things (Open MW, Tamriel Rebuilt, etc.) that are still being worked on, so it's almost like I should wait. On the other hand, it's not like these projects are *not* going to stop being works in progress anytime soon.

:effort:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 22, 2017

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

well to answer your question the chocolate pack isn't supported anymore and the guy who could answer why things are that way isn't around

it used to have a website with documentation but that doesn't exist either, hence the "don't bother with it" comment

I'm the Chocolate Pack guy and I'm still around but I haven't looked at Chocolate Pack stuff in a long time and the website's long gone. I'm sure it still works just fine but it's not a one-click install so people new to Morrowind modding should probably steer clear and use something less complicated.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

with MWSE and proper distant land/shader support there is 0 reason to use openmw over MGEXE vanilla unless you think you're cool by running linux

Counter argument, you should be playing it and reporting bugs so it reaches parity sooner rather than later so we can start seeing way cooler poo poo from it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Poniard posted:

There was a mod that let you cast whatever spell you had selected with your weapon out but it effectively removed the casting animation for you and all NPCs. Any mages you fought could cast their spells all at once and gently caress you up.

What I'm trying to say is: your mod idea should only be allowed if NPCs can do it too and destroy you extremely quickly.

I think melee combat should be unchanged.

As for magic, it's not so much that I want to turn Morrowind combat into MMO combat, but something similar to that is the best way I can think of to do what I'm actually thinking, which is just making spells use hotbars and auto-aim so you don't have to play Morrowind like it's a lovely FPS that takes a million button presses to do anything when you play as a magic user with ranged spells.

In vanilla, casting a single spell starting from melee mode then switching back to melee again can literally take up to 7 button presses/actions:

1. swap to casting stance
2. inventory
3. scroll to spell if it's not visible in the spell menu
4. click on spell
5. close inventory
6. cast spell
7. back to melee stance

If a spell is bound to a key but not selected, it takes 4 button presses:

1. casting stance
2. spell select button
3. cast spell
4. melee stance

What I'm suggesting would make spells take two button presses:

1. target enemy
2. press specifically bound button to cast specific spell

Seven actions just to cast a spell is entirely unnecessary. Four actions compared to seven is better but still too many. Sure that was the way games were back then but it doesn't have to be that way now. Basically, I'm suggesting a mod that allows players to specifically target an enemy, then give the player a hotbar with bindable keys, one key press casts one spell. If balance is a concern, set as high or low of a max chance to hit and/or global cooldown for spells as you want.

I just don't like the tedium of having to press all those buttons just to do something that feels like it should be instant and intuitive for the character. Even if you think having to swap between melee and casting mode is an important mechanical and thematic element to the game, you could still keep that element and also use auto-aim and hotbars for quick casting just as a QoL improvement. There are already mods that add hotbars and one-button casting, but I don't know of anything that auto-aims spells at enemies you're targeting.

Ok that was a big sperg-fueled post but hopefully I conveyed what I'm thinking.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 22, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Malsgrein posted:

People new to Morrowind modding should probably steer clear

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MCP has fastcasting like oblivion where you can be in melee stance and press the spell hotkey and it casts automatically

e: wait you already mention that

lmao nah what you want is insanely dumb tbh

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
MCP also lets you type the first letter of a spell in the menu to jump to it if it's not hotkeyed as well.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
With MCP quick casting + select spell by first letter tweak installed casting a spell in Morrowind is literally a case of "think of spell", right click, type first letter of spell, right click and then press one button to cast, all of which can be done in like less than a second. It is amazing and superior to pretty much any spellcasting selection system in any other game ever.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Nah guys scrolling endlessly circa Skyrims fabulous UI is what Morrowind really needs.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Haven't you been posting these terrible ideas in this and older Morrowind thread for years? I don't think Morrowind is for you man :(

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Haven't you been posting these terrible ideas in this and older Morrowind thread for years? I don't think Morrowind is for you man :(

Probably.

And Morrowind is totally for me. It's one of the best games ever made. I also think it's full of jank and that it could use a new coat of paint every now and then in one way or another. Besides, somebody already made the hotbar+quickcast mod, which is 90% of the idea, and it's pretty universally liked.

I'm sorry you're personally offended that your favorite game isn't perfect though, or that somebody else would love the vast majority of it but would like to have fun with it slightly differently than you would.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 22, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

GreatGreen posted:

And Morrowind is totally for me. It's one of the best games ever made. I also think it's full of jank and that it could use a new coat of paint every now and then in one way or another. Besides, somebody already made the hotbar+quickcast mod, which is 90% of the idea, and it's pretty universally liked.

There's been three of them actually, IIRC. But the MCP one is obviously the best, seeing as it's a binary patch.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

GreatGreen posted:

Probably.

I'm sorry you're personally offended that your favorite game isn't perfect though, or that somebody else would love the vast majority of it but would like to have fun with it slightly differently than you would.

Hey if you love it, excellent, spread the good word. For some reason your ideas posts have stood out in my head, sorry if I got the wrong impression :hfive:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I just went with the Code Patch, MGE-XE, and the better font mod for good measure and now I'm playing the game and having fun thanks goons!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Hey if you love it, excellent, spread the good word. For some reason your ideas posts have stood out in my head, sorry if I got the wrong impression :hfive:

It's cool, friend. Some of the stuff I think would be fun does kind of fly in the face of what the designers were going for, but hey.

I suppose we can agree to disagree about the best ways to play Morrowind. :buddy:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 22, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As somebody involved with the bf42 community I both feel all your pain on being in love with a game fifteen years old and also don't envy the extent dredging up arcane mods are a part of it now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just rested and suddenly I was like 80lbs heavier and over-encumbered. What the hell happened?

At first I thought it was Adrenaline Rush wearing off but it only lasts 60 seconds and the last time I used it was ages before then and if I remember right my actual (not maximum) weight was what actually changed. Maybe I'm mistaken? :psyduck:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A feather spell wore off.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

K8.0 posted:

A feather spell wore off.

Ah, right. I remember seeing the purple feather icon. I guess one of the mages I got into a tussle with in a nearby cave used it on me, but... why? There doesn't seem to be any reason to use it on an enemy. Are enemies in this game like wild Pokemon and just use whatever they have at random with no rhyme or reason?

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Mak0rz posted:

Ah, right. I remember seeing the purple feather icon. I guess one of the mages I got into a tussle with in a nearby cave used it on me, but... why? There doesn't seem to be any reason to use it on an enemy. Are enemies in this game like wild Pokemon and just use whatever they have at random with no rhyme or reason?

Bonewalkers are a great menace and you probably need to cast restore strength.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

a cow posted:

Bonewalkers are a great menace and you probably need to cast restore strength.

Nah, it was definitely the Feather spell. My strength stat is fine and the weight of my inventory was what was actually affected.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Were you making Temple pilgrimages? One of them (Shrine of Muck?) gives 100 pt Feather for, like, a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vavrek posted:

Were you making Temple pilgrimages? One of them (Shrine of Muck?) gives 100 pt Feather for, like, a day.

Yes, actually! That explains it.