Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Shangri-Law School posted:

Every gain in American history has been incremental and/or preceded by some massive tragedy. Of course, preaching incrementalism isn't very inspiring, but promising the world causes a backlash when you fail to follow through. It ain't easy to find a happy medium there.

People were talking about the end of the Republican Party in 2008. Politics oscillates.

Nah

Also it's a horrible strategy when the Dems make minor gains anywhere then see the GOP undo that and make it worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ehud posted:

This kid who took pats fan coworker's old cube is a major fidgeter

please advise
Become the Pats fan coworker to his Ehud

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pubic works project posted:

Get him a fidget spinner

He has one and it's really loud!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Eli Wiggum posted:

Become the Pats fan coworker to his Ehud

I found out yesterday that he hates Raising Arizona!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Ehud posted:

I found out yesterday that he hates Raising Arizona!

This new guy is a bigger monster than the last

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
get him the world's best fidget spinner.......a handgun

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

Nah

Also it's a horrible strategy when the Dems make minor gains anywhere then see the GOP undo that and make it worse

That's all I get, a "Nah"? :(

Well, the ACA remains, for now. I hope everyone is calling their Senators!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
:siren:Kittengate Update:siren:

I found a good home for this little guy. So I'll be catching him this weekend to take to his new home with one of my co-workers. I'll also be trying to catch the other cats to take to a local Cat Shelter.

This has made me happy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Good work cool cat man

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Nice cardio sesh!!

Couldn't have been that good a session if it took you an hour for 1 lap :thunk:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That kitty voted for Gary Johnson, boo that cat.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Kalli posted:

Don't worry, he's going in time-out soon.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

Everybody loves milkshake cat

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

John Ossoff was a milque toast weenie who still believes in "going high" while being called a Pelosi boy carpetbagger.

He still picked up a ton of points, just like in Kansas, and while it's okay to be disheartened by this election, you shouldn't take it as a barometer for the nation saying "nah we're cool with Trump."

If you are disheartened, I recommend calling your friends who didn't vote or voted third party (didn't vote) and yelling at them to get their poo poo together by 2018.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Lol the DCCC spent $5 million in GA, but less than $500k in MT and NOTHING in KS. How are they so bad at this

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Diggity! posted:

Lol the DCCC spent $5 million in GA, but less than $500k in MT and NOTHING in KS. How are they so bad at this

What were the Clinton results in MT and KS? Gonna guess they were less than 1.5 points.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Every time a non-Bernie Democrat loses it's because they sucked as a candidate. Every time a Bernie Democrat loses it's because they were sabotaged by the DNC, which has the power to win elections at will but simply chooses not to.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

ulmont posted:

What were the Clinton results in MT and KS? Gonna guess they were less than 1.5 points.

Clinton lost both MT and KS by 20

Quist lost MT by 6

Thompson lost KS by 7

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you care about winning districts as a Democrat stop yelling at your own party and give money to the legal fund in this court case

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/us/politics/justices-to-hear-major-challenge-to-partisan-gerrymandering.html?_r=0

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Diggity! posted:

Clinton lost both MT and KS by 20

Quist lost MT by 6

Thompson lost KS by 7

So...the DCCC put more money in the races in districts where the Presidential vote was closest? Tactical misfire!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

ulmont posted:

So...the DCCC put more money in the races in districts where the Presidential vote was closest? Tactical misfire!

They ignored competitive races for no reason. Those candidates outperformed Clinton by a massive amount while being drastically outspent because the party decided to leave them high and dry. Yes, tactical misfire.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

This just popped up in one of my groupme chats

Bring him back, ehud.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

They ignored competitive races for no reason. Those candidates outperformed Clinton by a massive amount while being drastically outspent because the party decided to leave them high and dry. Yes, tactical misfire.

It could be argued that heavy spending is counter-intuitive. More attention causes higher turnout, and in more conservative districts higher turn-out can backfire. Might be smarter to energize the base with low-key grassroots campaigning rather than turning the election into a spectacle.

SC for example completely outperformed expectations compared to GA last night

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My firm has altered my schedule the last few weeks to accommodate studying for a professional exam to earn a certification. This has generally included a bit of unofficial, unpaid overtime. Management found out this week that perhaps I will be unable to take the exam this year.

Cool, cool.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My gamble seems to be paying off: company I interviewed for on Friday is going to give me a job offer it looks like, hopefully I'll see it today. I interviewed for another company yesterday and they really liked me too, so I'll probably have another offer from them too.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It could be argued that heavy spending is counter-intuitive. More attention causes higher turnout, and in more conservative districts higher turn-out can backfire. Might be smarter to energize the base with low-key grassroots campaigning rather than turning the election into a spectacle.

SC for example completely outperformed expectations compared to GA last night

Re: heavy spending - it's a bit of an arms race though. After the primary there was a shitload of (R) money coming in which can't just be ignored.

Re: SC: possible we were looking at the wrong indicators to actually calibrate expectations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

My 87 year old grandfather has just discovered Taco Bell since they built one near their condos. Bringing it to him today for lunch lmao

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

What did you get him?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ossof lost by five points in a district that he'd "normally" lose by 20. No, that's not an actual victory, but: if the democrats can shift the congressional electorate even five points, they will sweep into power in the house in 2018. It's not great to lose, but the fifteen point shift is gigantic.

The points being made about spending all that money in one district and ignoring the other two are totally valid, though. The democratic party is raising funds like crazy - they can and should afford to contest every election. That starts with identifying strong candidates even in districts they expect to lose badly, though, and that's very hard. The bench is shallow in districts that have been red for decades; you just don't have the city council members, county treasurers, etc. that you'd normally look for in those districts as viable candidates. Ossof was branded as a carpetbagger and that was completely correct, he doesn't even live within the district he was running for; that highlights the difficulty. You want bernie-style candidates? Nevermind whether those people can win in any given election, they're just not available in many of these districts as viable candidates. You can pick "Some Guy, local mechanic" as your far-left candidate for congress if you want, but a total lack of political experience almost always backfires, present president excepted.

You're also fighting a serious uphill battle due to gerrymandering. Republicans successfully took control of a majority of states in 2010 and gerrymandered the gently caress out of them. But here's the cool thing about that: the way you create more republican seats in a purple state is by creating one or two super-democratic districts, and then making all the rest "comfortably" republican. But if you can move the entire electorate 15 points to the left, many of those "comfortably republican" seats become competitive, while the deep-blue districts are permanent democratic strongholds no matter what. That gerrymandering doesn't matter as much in the presidential election but it matters a lot for congress, and if the GA-06 results are even remotely indicitive, it's going to be an absolute bloodbath for the republicans. It means there's 50+ seats in play, perhaps a lot more.

So yeah. "We lost, hurray!" is actually a valid view of yesterday's results. The overspending skews the numbers, but the general data says that even in two districts where hardly any outside money was spent, democratic turnout was way up and the outcomes shifted ten to fifteen points to the left. That's horrible, horrible news for the Republicans in congress.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 21, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

are we getting a piss tape or not

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Ehud posted:

are we getting a piss tape or not

that's my #1 hope

get it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Basically this is what I'm getting at:

http://cookpolitical.com/story/10391

quote:

If Democrats were to outperform their "generic" share by eight points across the board in November 2018, they would pick up 80 seats. Of course, that won't happen because Republican incumbents will be tougher to dislodge than special election nominees. But these results fit a pattern that should still worry GOP incumbents everywhere, regardless of Trump's national approval rating and the outcome of the healthcare debate in Congress.

Put another way, Democratic candidates in these elections have won an average of 68 percent of the votes Hillary Clinton won in their districts, while Republican candidates have won an average of 54 percent of Trump's votes. That's an enthusiasm gap that big enough to gravely imperil the Republican majority next November—even if it didn't show up in "the special election to end all special elections."

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

My 87 year old grandfather has just discovered Taco Bell since they built one near their condos. Bringing it to him today for lunch lmao

Taco Bell has surprisingly good vegetarian options

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

pubic works project posted:

What did you get him?

Tortilla with cheese meat and vegetables

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gonna mix TFF Chat's two favorite subjects in a pot and serve it up like gumbo

That's right, we're going to Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President, the manga from an artist who came to the US for 3 weeks during the election and decided to turn it into a manga.

Featuring Bill and Ellery Clayton

and all the best political infighting you can imagine

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

well that seems excruciatingly terrible

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

well that seems excruciatingly terrible

Uh I think you'll find the self insert lantern jawed japanese senator from New York just wants to make everything cool and good by pantomiming a confused understanding of America.

It's kind of fascinating but didn't feature anywhere near enough grunting about power levels.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

Gonna mix TFF Chat's two favorite subjects in a pot and serve it up like gumbo

Isn't that how we got NFL Rush Zone.

Which somehow got 3 seasons

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I want to lock myself in a bunker with anime and free weights for 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Last night I was playing overwatch with some coworkers and they started talking about anime and then an hour later they were still talking about anime but the entire time I was still just making calls because i don't watch cartoons, I play them

coworker 1: I really like Mushi Mushi Sentai Warriors

Ehud: Roadhog is flanking to the right.

Coworker 2: Yeah it's good but have you seen Super Shanuki Tiger Parade?

Ehud: careful, their Soldier has ult for the next fight

Coworker 3: I just finished Princess Mononoke: Blood Tears

Ehud: Discord on Pharah.

• Locked thread