Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Fanatic posted:

I've been playing Starcraft 2's Arcade recently. It's improved heaps and has alot of maps ported over from or based on Warcraft 3 & Brood War.

Might be worth checking out if Wc3 is too dead. You can play for free too (I haven't tried it though cos I own Sc2): http://us.battle.net/arcade/en/

Warcraft 3 units and models are available in the map editor too now so the maps aren't restricted to space themes. :)

The Gem TD on sc2's arcade is pretty legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

element td, the greatest td of all time, is still superior in the wc3 version (compared to the dota 2 one).

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Kodo Tag is also still better in WC3 than SC2

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Kodo Tag is also still better in WC3 than SC2

Yeah, the Kodo Tag is really weird on SC2. It has randomly generated terrain and you get random buildings too that you have to build to cycle a new random building.

Kind of a shame cause I really liked Kodo over other tags on Wc3 because the AI controls the much hated "wolf" positions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

element td, the greatest td of all time, is still superior in the wc3 version (compared to the dota 2 one).

speaking of, anyone remember Elements or Elements RPG or whatever it was called? I think it might have been a pre-BW map, just 5 players each controlling 1 unit, I think your character could go up to level 5 and each level required completing a quest and that would morph you into a new unit to represent your new "level". Technically it was an open world map, so you could go around and do anything you wanted

also there was like prisoner rpg or something like that, all of the players started off controlling 1 civilian unit and then everyone would escape from jail and go on an epic quest with similar leveling mechanics to Elements RPG. Pretty sure this was pre-BW, too

man old-school SC1 custom maps were the best

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

also there was like prisoner rpg or something like that, all of the players started off controlling 1 civilian unit and then everyone would escape from jail and go on an epic quest with similar leveling mechanics to Elements RPG. Pretty sure this was pre-BW, too

I remember a Prison Break on Wc3 where if you were a prisoner you had to eat and drink to stay alive. You also had to urinate into a toilet (a Moon Well) or you explode lol.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fanatic posted:

I remember a Prison Break on Wc3 where if you were a prisoner you had to eat and drink to stay alive. You also had to urinate into a toilet (a Moon Well) or you explode lol.

Warcraft 3 UMS maps are the biggest argument that video games are indeed art

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Node posted:

Warcraft 3 UMS maps are the biggest argument that video games are indeed art

I found the map but I misremembered it slightly, it was a hostage negotiation one not a prison break.

Anyway here's the Moon Well toilet in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mICzbfeWMKg&t=380s. I forgot you also have to flush it :v:

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 29, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

counterstrike td owned so much. even the blizzard made azure td was good and pretty tough.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

speaking of, anyone remember Elements or Elements RPG or whatever it was called? I think it might have been a pre-BW map, just 5 players each controlling 1 unit, I think your character could go up to level 5 and each level required completing a quest and that would morph you into a new unit to represent your new "level". Technically it was an open world map, so you could go around and do anything you wanted

There was like a series of elements rpg maps and people made their own spinoffs. There were so many different rpg maps and I loved em all...

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

whalestory posted:

There was like a series of elements rpg maps and people made their own spinoffs. There were so many different rpg maps and I loved em all...

I think one of the downsides of Blizzard including map encryption in SC2 is you don't have spinoffs anymore, which (for better or worse) were a huge part of Warcraft 3 (I think you could only encrypt through 3rd party programs).

I was acquainted with the original makers of Wintermaul TD and Tree Tag (my name was even in the credits of the latter), both of which were plagiarised and had their credits removed. Both guys were pissed off about it. Hell, even DOTA was ripped from Aeon of Strife.

That's where all those crappy DBZmaul, Pokemaul etc. TD's came from but kids liked playing them and in a way they kept old maps fresh. Maybe SC2 needed a spinoff function, where you can edit a map but it's still credited in some way to the original maker. Like the (now-defunct) Xbox's Project Spark gamemaker game had.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 29, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I love editing random maps to give myself a tiny advantage (and then losing anyways) in the sc1 days

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
When I was bored I would edit popular protected maps to remove annoying stuff, mostly unskippable intros.

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
didn't someone create a custom version of echo isles that was rigged for or against orc and it wasn't discovered for a long time? I googled but I couldn't find anything on it. I remember the map was branded with insignia from sponsors or the replay site or whatever (like http://war3.replays.net) and the random damage was tinkered with either up or down for the orc. pro players played on it for tournaments.

rawr im a tree
Jul 4, 2008

UrAClassAct posted:

didn't someone create a custom version of echo isles that was rigged for or against orc and it wasn't discovered for a long time? I googled but I couldn't find anything on it. I remember the map was branded with insignia from sponsors or the replay site or whatever (like http://war3.replays.net) and the random damage was tinkered with either up or down for the orc. pro players played on it for tournaments.

are you talking about the korean map maker who changed grunt attack speed by like .1 percent for a pro player?

e; this happened during mbcgame mapleague iirc. i'm too lazy to google this.

rawr im a tree fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 30, 2017

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

UrAClassAct posted:

Yeah this happened. The guy who ran a Korean professional league thought that Night Elf was too strong and Orc was too weak so in every match between Orc and NE special versions of maps would be used that nerfed NE and buffed Orc in just about every way that couldn't be easily spotted. Those Korean leagues used to used edited versions of regular maps with sponsors logos and stuff all imprinted upon them so it wasn't weird to have non-standard ladder maps for tournament games.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's trivially easy to spot edited units though. The unit editor helpfully counts and highlights all nonstandard units for you.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20756885804 1.28.3 announcement. Think it's out today

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

1.28.3 is indeed out and wow does it feel good to play with the new 100ms latency cap (down from 250ms). Time for some wig

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The lowered latency cap is exciting. While adapting to 250 was possible it was an annoying issue to deal with in a game that was based around micro.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Flayer posted:

The lowered latency cap is exciting. While adapting to 250 was possible it was an annoying issue to deal with in a game that was based around micro.

w3arena has always been around with the low latency, is this really a reason to move to BNet after all these years?

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

wiggity wow !

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

the return of lljk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so how bad is wc4 gonna be.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

so how bad is wc4 gonna be.

0/10 game, because it's never gonna happen.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
blizzard would have to bring in all the garbage lore from over a dozen years of world of warcraft into another regular warcraft game, it'd be so incomprehensible that i think its for the best that we wont see another one

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I doubt we'll ever see a true Warcraft sequel, short of WoW doing a final end of the world reboot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

blizzard would have to bring in all the garbage lore from over a dozen years of world of warcraft into another regular warcraft game, it'd be so incomprehensible that i think its for the best that we wont see another one

a new game doesn't have to present any of that lore, they already do "throw out everything" alternate timeline poo poo in WOW

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

a new game doesn't have to present any of that lore, they already do "throw out everything" alternate timeline poo poo in WOW

They should just do the events around WC1 and 2 in one game since like 5% of the current warcraft players (in any form) played those.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jokes posted:

They should just do the events around WC1 and 2 in one game since like 5% of the current warcraft players (in any form) played those.

They've been furiously retconning those games for several decades now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They've been furiously retconning those games for several decades now.

Exactly, they could just remake them with whatever new story wankery they've been trying to jam into WOW.

The story is the least difficult part of this, Blizzard is chronically bad at storytelling and is well-known for retconning poo poo out of the blue, they can do literally anything they want with the storyline of a Warcraft 4 and they will sell just as many copies

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Of all the things retconned out of Warcraft 2, I think the one I miss the most is Cross Island.

Seriously, whatever happened to Cross Island? Dalaran used to be built on an island literally shaped like a cross. Just completely abandoned once Warcraft 3 rolled around.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Going by WOW rules Dalaran can just move around to wherever the gently caress it wants

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Going by WOW rules Dalaran can just move around to wherever the gently caress it wants

but it could be a flying cross-shaped island instead of a flying blob-shaped island

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gently caress wow.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

The story is the least difficult part of this, Blizzard is chronically bad at storytelling and is well-known for retconning poo poo out of the blue, they can do literally anything they want with the storyline of a Warcraft 4 and they will sell just as many copies

Can confirm would preorder wc4 tomorrow, no questions asked.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You know I remember WC3 customs being incredibly fun and I spent a good chunk of my highschool years on LAN with friends trying out new ones on weekends - but they remade a lot of the same games in DOTA2 and I cannot get into them at all.

I don't know if my standards were just lower back then

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I remember WC3 customs being incredibly fun and I spent a good chunk of my highschool years on LAN with friends trying out new ones on weekends - but they remade a lot of the same games in DOTA2 and I cannot get into them at all.

I don't know if my standards were just lower back then

A bit of that, sure, but there's also that many of the DOTA2 versions are pretty pale imitations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wc3 had way more units and stuff to make their customs with so they were better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notax
May 14, 2014

STORM, EARTH AND FIRE!! HEED MY GetElementByID