Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I read the outbreak part of The Stand recently and I've had it on the brain too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BlueberryCanary posted:

But it is seriously unlikely that any of these labs are working on bioweapons or human experimentation. In principle, these diseases could be genetically engineered to be made much worse if you had the resources and a few decades to spare. But there is no way to make them distinguish between friend and foe, or civilian and military. This makes them completely useless for anything but regional genocide and terrorism, and there is always the chance the weapon could backfire and infect the people making it.
If you can live with "close enough", gene-triggered viruses would allow you to skew the odds vastly in your favor - and the technology might not be that far off, given how our capabilities on that front have been expanding. Like, a Northern European group determined to take on the world with a bioweapon could just make one that targeted people without the genetic mutation that allows lactose tolerance, and be pretty much immune to its effects. Ignoring the possibilities of a mutation that just lets the virus run wild at least, but no bioweapon has ever turned on its master.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I will be disappointed if we don't at least get to the point where I can inject myself with a virus in my final moments to transform into a horrifying mutant

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I don't die by way of being exploded by a rocket launcher, then what kind of life have I lived?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just in case none of y'all heard it: the original RE2 voice actors for Claire and Leon aren't coming back for REmake 2 because Capcom's going non-union with the voice actors.

To be honest I can't even remember RE2 Leon's voice all that clearly but I can still hear RE4's plain as day so maybe he can be Leon.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I don't think this guy is the one who played Leon in RE2 anyway. He's about the 3rd or 4th person to have played that character.

To be honest I've never really cared about RE actors except for the guy that played Wesker in RE5 who was loving incredible.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Claire from 2 and Albert "Complete Global Saturation" Wesker are really the one voice actors I ever recognized in RE but they already changed Claire for Revelations 2 and that was fine so while I do think it would be better to have them for the remake it won't ruin anything. Though it is pretty hard to believe that the choice had nothing to do with a potential strike that was being talked about even back then.

Policenaut posted:

To be honest I can't even remember RE2 Leon's voice all that clearly but I can still hear RE4's plain as day so maybe he can be Leon.

I'm betting RE4's VA is union too.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Convex posted:

I don't think this guy is the one who played Leon in RE2 anyway. He's about the 3rd or 4th person to have played that character.

To be honest I've never really cared about RE actors except for the guy that played Wesker in RE5 who was loving incredible.

D.C. Douglas made a video recently celebrating being Wesker for 10 years, and to thank his fans for causing his video game and cartoon VO career to take off.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 21, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

D.C Douglas is an amazing voice actor and I'm glad that he's gotten as much work as he has. The only reason I ever want Wesker to come back to this franchise is so Douglas can keep voicing him.

Kibayasu posted:

I'm betting RE4's VA is union too.

Fuuuuck you're probably right

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also it's super-loving-obvious that it has something to do with the union strike (and fair to a union worker saying it doesn't because bridges and all that) when a company specifically says they're going with "non-union" voice actors just before a potential union strike.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That strike is going nowhere anyway so get used to non union voices for awhile.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good, also death to scabs

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I work with people with intellectual disabilities, and one of my clients gave me a (somewhat) home made booklet today on how to kill Nemesis, because I'm "the only one who can beat his rear end" and he "needs me to do it" :3:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I work with people with intellectual disabilities, and one of my clients gave me a (somewhat) home made booklet today on how to kill Nemesis, because I'm "the only one who can beat his rear end" and he "needs me to do it" :3:
That client owns.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I thought I'd miss the original Claire, but whoever played her in Revelations 2 was pretty good so whatever I guess. I also never thought I'd give a poo poo about Resident Evil of all series's voice acting at all but RE7 and Rev2 had actually pretty drat good voice work so I guess I do care now.

God, that's so weird. RE is a thing with voice acting worth caring about now. The hell is this timeline.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Alteisen posted:

That strike is going nowhere anyway so get used to non union voices for awhile.

oh no, what will we do when we don't hear Troy Baker, Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, Steve Blum, et al talking to each other in every loving game

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Of all the voice acting in the RE series the only ones that I felt have ever mattered are D.C Douglas and Roger Craig Smith.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

oh no, what will we do when we don't hear Troy Baker, Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, Steve Blum, et al talking to each other in every loving game

Oh believe me I agree with you, pretty sick of the usual VAs in loving everything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

God, that's so weird. RE is a thing with voice acting worth caring about now. The hell is this timeline.
The original RE had incredible voice acting that truly elevated the experience.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The original RE had incredible voice acting that truly elevated the experience.

NO

DON'T GO

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Fil5000 posted:

NO

DON'T GO

WAIT! Don't OPEN.........................................that DOOR!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

WAIT! Don't OPEN.........................................that DOOR!

Just TAKE. A. LOOK. AT. THIS! It's Forest! Oh my COD!!!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
What? Don't come this way!!! Nooooo!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aces High posted:

Steve Blum has done work as Roger Smith when he did things off union before so don't count him out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nolan North also fell under the opinion of "we can get things we want without having to do a strike" but now he seems to support it so :shrug:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Also it's super-loving-obvious that it has something to do with the union strike (and fair to a union worker saying it doesn't because bridges and all that) when a company specifically says they're going with "non-union" voice actors just before a potential union strike.

I think they decided on the voices even before that so it's probably just Capcom being 1) cheap and 2) stupid because they've changed the look and voices of their characters so much that there's zero identity to their franchise anymore. Even the games are all over the place, just compare RE6 to RE7 to Umbrella Corps to Revelations 2. There's no consistency with tone or gameplay style so why bother making Chris Redfield look or talk the same over 10 years?

I actually hope the voices are really bad, I missed that from the REmake.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Looking forward to hearing rising star non-union actors Alisom Courk and Matew Merker in RE2make

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They should just have you unlock a bad dub after you finish the game once, come on, it takes like 1 afternoon to add in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I think they decided on the voices even before that so it's probably just Capcom being 1) cheap and 2) stupid because they've changed the look and voices of their characters so much that there's zero identity to their franchise anymore. Even the games are all over the place, just compare RE6 to RE7 to Umbrella Corps to Revelations 2. There's no consistency with tone or gameplay style so why bother making Chris Redfield look or talk the same over 10 years?

I actually hope the voices are really bad, I missed that from the REmake.

Maybe, but strikes don't suddenly happen. You have to do a lot of work before hand, like convincing the union members that it's a good idea with a reasonable chance of accomplishing the goals. The strike started in October, discussions within the union would have had to start well, well before that (a quick googling shows a strike action was supporting by some prominent voice actors in 2015) and that kind of talk always makes it way back to the employers.

Resident Evil voice acting definitely isn't going to be the thing that breaks the publishers though, even if you aren't going to see DC Douglas as Wesker (he is part of the stirke).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Capcom isn't on the list of struck companies, so...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Creamed Cormp posted:

They should just have you unlock a bad dub after you finish the game once, come on, it takes like 1 afternoon to add in.

That would be the best unlock ever.

Didn't it come up in this thread a while ago that part of RE1's ridic voice acting was due to language barrier issues?

Like the director had, say, Barry's voice actor record 'Let's hope this isn't Chris's blood' a few different ways with no context as to what the scene was, and then they just pretty much picked one even if it didn't really fit? Or am I thinking of a different PS1 game?

RE: Bad dub randomizer would be brilliant. One playthrough you might get
'Let's hope this isn't Chris's blood' as if he's confused, another playthrough Barry sounds bored, a different time he just screams it at the top of his lungs like a loving madman.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Creamed Cormp posted:

A 1998 mode for voice acting would be hilarious. Especially if they run the script through google translate a few times to give it that weird quality, get some random Capcom interns who speaks English to voice everyone (no acting skills required.

It can't be intentionally, over the top bad though. I always felt those early games were trying to be serious and scary, which made it all the funnier.

"Jill, this house is dangerous. There are terrible demons. Ouch :geno: "

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
As a side note, Capcom seems to be going with completely different voice actors for MvCI as well for pretty much the entire cast, and largely seems worse than MvC3.. I'm guessing they're just keeping up the usual tradition of going as cheap as possible on VA as they can.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Aces High posted:

You probably still will, but they'll have a procession of increasingly transparent pseudonyms. Voice actors use fake names for non-union gigs all the time, especially on smaller productions.

DLC Inc posted:

It's really only reasonably recently that video games A) had long-running franchises that B) featured the same characters more than once which C) made it worthwhile for consistent vocal identity to be a thing which D) made it worth getting actual actors rather than whoever they could find in the studio who wasn't a complete embarrassment.

I actually remember people arguing in the '00s that it was a reason why Metal Gear Solid deserved to take over the universe: David Hayter made Snake's voice identifiable and part of the character, which at the time was reasonably unprecedented. Lara Croft has burned through more than a dozen assorted English brunettes at this point, Sonic has had multiple English voice actors over time, and a lot of characters who started on PSOne games got a vocal overhaul for sequels, as the larger budget meant they could actually hire an accredited actor this time around.

RE in particular has increasingly suffered from there not actually being a plan for where the series is going, or even hiring a single creative director to preside over multiple numbered entries. The closest they came was in the 1998-2005 period when Shinji Mikami had a credit on every game somewhere, and Mikami didn't give a gently caress about plot at all. As I've said before, a lot of the history of Resident Evil from a development standpoint has become a profoundly negative example over time, at least in terms of how not to build a franchise, and the lack of a consistent vocal identity for characters is only part of that.

Miruvor posted:

As a side note, Capcom seems to be going with completely different voice actors for MvCI as well for pretty much the entire cast, and largely seems worse than MvC3.. I'm guessing they're just keeping up the usual tradition of going as cheap as possible on VA as they can.

They've probably run straight into the voice actors' strike. If nothing else, a couple of the characters in the story demo do sound somewhat similar to past performances.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No but they might be in the future. Strikes are ugly affairs and can set up pretty clear sides in the fight and Capcom isn't going to be on the voice actors' side. While Capcom isn't part of the strike they aren't going to look at it with the mindset of "Wow, those voice actors were serious. We better spend the money to improve conditions before they strike against us and we lose their talent." They're going to think "Wow, those voice actors were serious. We better start hiring non-union actors now so we don't have to spend money on improving our working conditions."

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

honestly the entire video game voice acting industry is kinda weird and EXTREMELY cliquey, to the point where it almost feels like a cartel. like how many games have you seen where someone like nolan north provides "additional voices". why the hell is nolan north providing extra voices, that would be like tom hanks playing a guy in the background of a movie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

abagofcheetos posted:

honestly the entire video game voice acting industry is kinda weird and EXTREMELY cliquey, to the point where it almost feels like a cartel. like how many games have you seen where someone like nolan north provides "additional voices". why the hell is nolan north providing extra voices, that would be like tom hanks playing a guy in the background of a movie.

Because... they like work and money and take it wherever they can get it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah my understanding was that video game voice actors don't actually get that much money for individual roles. While it can be a bit annoying to hear the same bunch of people over and over again I can't blame them for it.

Voice actors, like everyone else, deserve a living wage.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Because... they like work and money and take it wherever they can get it?

so what, he slashes his rate in order to make sure that he gets the work instead of anyone else? i dunno, it just seems weird. why does it cost the same for nolan north to be the voice of villager #19 as someone looking to catch their first break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just get Barry's original VA to voice every character. Including the zombies and BOWs.