Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

yea but also who gives a poo poo it's jimi hendrix lol if you listen to that on the reg.

hey man some of us are in middle school and just getting into real music y'know not that fake poo poo on the radio

have you heard of this band pink floyd they got this song about how we don't need no education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hey man some of us are in middle school and just getting into real music y'know not that fake poo poo on the radio

have you heard of this band pink floyd they got this song about how we don't need no education

Haha pink floyd, u should get on sum real poo poo like beatles and nirvana dude

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Dirt posted:

Controversial opinion: Jimi owns. SRV sucks.

Edit: Both are worshiped by Bluesdads so actually they are both terrible I guess. Just Jimi less so.

If SRV didn't have that pansy-rear end squeaky clean production he'd be alright.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Flip Yr Wig posted:

If SRV didn't have that pansy-rear end squeaky clean production he'd be alright.

wasn't texas flood (the album) an unrehearsed demo?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Of course yeah but what's the fun in only listening to music released in 2017. I still find new things in old records every time I play them regardless of how familiar I am with the content. Hearing the roots of the music I make today is always going to be cool.

I don't mean old music, I mean music that is so imprinted in our culture that it's probably encoded into our DNA at this point. I never need to listen to Back in the USSR ever again. I discover crazy old music I've never heard before quite often.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don't mean old music, I mean music that is so imprinted in our culture that it's probably encoded into our DNA at this point. I never need to listen to Back in the USSR ever again. I discover crazy old music I've never heard before quite often.

This is the problem with radio - creating a cycle of hits -> listeners who enjoy the hits -> play more hits. There are so many songs by bands that are so well known that we almost never hear, just because they're B-sides or on unusual periods of the band's discography. That's not to say anything of the also-rans of the era (i.e. everyone has heard 'Kill Em' All', but few people have heard Sacred Reich's album which IMO is just as good!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hendrix would have dug hthe whammy pedal probably

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
SRV lore:

quote:

The band was already a hit on the Texas club circuit, but their 1982 gig at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland had brought them a new level of fame. David Bowie saw the show and invited Vaughan to play on his “Let’s Dance” album, and Mr. Browne offered free studio time to the group, which, at the time, was unsigned and unrecorded.

“We didn’t go out there to make a record,” Mr. Layton (SRV's drummer) said of their 72-hour session at Mr. Browne’s studio in Los Angeles. “We just played our songs three times through, live. To us, we were just making some tapes because a cool guy said he’d give us his studio. We didn’t even bring tape. We recorded over used tape. There are old Jackson Browne songs under ‘Texas Flood.’ ”

That's it. They played it live, and the best takes were released as the debut album.

In my heart, there is Texas Flood, and Couldn't Stand The Weather. Then there's Soul to Soul which is kind of a mess. They barely got it finished. By then only the keyboard player was still reasonably sober.
Live Alive is, as mentioned before, a fully coked-out band with SRV doing overdubs to fix his mistakes in the mobile studio van overnight, between gigs, while drinking Crown Royal with cocaine in it; because he had no time for sleeping. That's why his speech during "Life Without You" is such an embarrassing ramble. Nothing recorded after really matters to me. Happy SRV wasn't the SRV I listened to when I was 14, when I decided I had to learn to do that. Whatever that was.

I've mentioned before that I saw SRV at Dorton Arena in Raleigh, NC in like 1987, February I think; and he came out wearing a faded "Hugs Not Drugs" t-shirt and I swear I never saw him open his eyes. I was right up against the fence in front of the stage and was dead center, my friend and I had been there waiting to get in since school let out, so we were right up front. Tommy Shannon nodded at me! :smug: Lonnie Mack opened that night. I was too young and naive to know how truly wasted Stevie was, and I couldn't tell by his performance. It was a great show.

Now, In Step is a good studio album but it does not compare favorably to the first two studio albums. It's too polished and happy and 12-step-program-ish. The first two are the real, blood-n-guts SRV sound to me. Nothing after In Step really matters to me, and that one gets a pass because Stevie sounded so goddamn happy. I loved him. When he died I took it hard. Catching his Austin City Limits reruns was like watching the Challenger disaster again. I still have a hard time with it sometimes. I forget how truly awesome he was at what he did.

I was 14 and Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather were the darkest, meanest, most powerful thing I'd ever heard (and I'd heard Hall and Oates, friends. AND REO Speedwagon.)

P.S. - Sorry about the meltdown. I got a bit carried away thinking about those days.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 16, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyPvUIt_YWg

now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQysB8XLtGg

:dogbutton:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

If I watch that second one long enough will it eventually turn into Rebel Meets Rebel, or does it stay lame the whole time?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Way back when I tried over and over again to get my dads parakeet to say "crush the priest". I don't know if parakeets ever talk but goddamn it I yelled in that birds face long enough it should have figured it out.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Don't be sorry, you speak the truth. SRV was a guitarist that started so many of us down our paths and still stands up. The Live at the El Mocambo show, roughly from that period, is amazing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Norway: "hold my beer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzHR2J6sGA

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just finished building a Rat clone with clipping toggle for Led/Silicon/None. I leave it on LED because it sounds the best so I guess that makes it a Turbo Rat?

Anyhow, here's some stupid music poo poo: I haven't hosed with a Rat in probably 20 years and hey guess what you guys it sounds amazing and is a brilliant circuit. WHO KNEW RIGHT?! Oh, everyone? Ok.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Iirc the first few slayer albums were made with an eq pedal and a rat plugged into a JCM800

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I spent like a decade in bands trying to nail down the sound I really wanted and then I tried strat + tubescreamer and strat + rat and it's like "oh yeah that's why everyone has these".

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Iirc the first few slayer albums were made with an eq pedal and a rat plugged into a JCM800

trey azagthoth's used a rackmount rat into a jcm900 since forever, and a 800 before that

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I bought an R2DU off of ebay a long time ago for next to nothing. It had been languishing since I moved and misplaced the foot switch. I recently found a schematic and built a new one. I forgot how muchI liked this stupid thing. If one rat is good two cascaded into each other is better, right? In the past I ran one at the start of the pedal chain and one at the end but that takes more cables when I can just use a short lead to jumper them together.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Just tried this in Amplitube, it sounded pretty nice -- for a given value of "nice", anyway.
I also screwed around with their Big Muff analog and I had the damnedest time finding a setting between "off" and "gently caress EVERYTHING :black101:"
Bad modeling or is that how real Big Muffs are too?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Holy poo poo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
no way he doesn't cum by shouting 'OH YEA-AH!"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

no way he doesn't cum by shouting 'OH YEA-AH!"

Wrong era James.

Unless that was Black Album James, then. lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
any of the three samples on the top right would be what I imagine his o-face noise to be:

http://jameshetfieldsoundboard.com/

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wrong era James.

Unless that was Black Album James, then. lol

around december of 87

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

Just tried this in Amplitube, it sounded pretty nice -- for a given value of "nice", anyway.
I also screwed around with their Big Muff analog and I had the damnedest time finding a setting between "off" and "gently caress EVERYTHING :black101:"

I generally keep my muff at noon or dimed, I'm not super-happy with either setting. I almost bought a rat today but guitar center had it priced at $100 which is like, loving nope. Not even a turbo, just your standard $60 black box.

in retrospect it was probably just mislabeled.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Muffs are Muffs. It does that Muff thing and that's pretty much it- I had one for about a year and after the first 2 or 3 months I never touched it again before selling. It's by no means a bad sound, just not the tone for me.

The Metal Muff, on the other hand, you can pry from my cold dead feet. I have never held onto a pedal as long as this (around 7 years) and can never see myself getting rid of it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Muff variants can be sick as hell. The Fuzzrocious Grey Stache can sound absolutely fierce.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was getting some nice Sabbath-y sounds out of it I liked, it just had no dynamics whatsoever. Even with input volume way down and the volume on my guitar almost all the way off it was still ALL THE GAIN:black101: until I turned the gain knob down to about 2, and then it was MOST OF THE GAIN:black101:. I don't think it's an Amplitube problem, their Rat knockoff reacted to dynamics just fine.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
AmpliTube can be hit or miss on pedal models I found. The Muff model is okay-ish to me. Sometimes I get a great sound but most of the time it just sucks. That's not a Muff-only thing either as if I run a real Muff into AmpliTube it sounds a tonne clearer and more controllable. Conversely, as said, their Rat model sounds pretty gosh dang good. Their TS model is good too. I think their Muff model is the worst model they have honestly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Non analog fuzz is gross

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

I cannot emphasize this enough: the distortion pedals in Amplitube are a joke. They sound nothing like the real things.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

As I said in the other thread do NOT gently caress with Amplitube distortion pedals.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Non analog fuzz is gross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A7VFxIBj84

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Anime Reference posted:

I was getting some nice Sabbath-y sounds out of it I liked, it just had no dynamics whatsoever. Even with input volume way down and the volume on my guitar almost all the way off it was still ALL THE GAIN:black101: until I turned the gain knob down to about 2, and then it was MOST OF THE GAIN:black101:. I don't think it's an Amplitube problem, their Rat knockoff reacted to dynamics just fine.

Muffs aren't Fuzz Faces and don't clean up nicely, but modelled fuzz is notoriously inaccurate anyway. Something very difficult to capture in exactly how a fuzz reacts to input impedance. On muffs in general; I used an American BMPi for a long time and yeah they just do that one trick. A great trick, but not anything I'd want to use these days.

Just got back from a ridiculous hot gig and loving how my rig sounds at the moment. Rickenbacker into an AC30 with a Rat for boost. Massive big Townshend power chord sound as standard, and I was getting all kinds of crazy feedback going with the Rat. I did an hour with the Rick going out of tune constantly from the heat and then switched out for my Tele for the final twenty minutes, which was almost as much fun. Total bag of nails sound.

Bitcrushers are literally designed to sound kinda lovely though. Love them for mashing up synths.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 18, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

YOU CANT USE ANDY PLAYING THROUGH FUZZ, ITS CHEATING. ITS MY ULTIMATE WEAKNESS AND YOU KNOW THIS.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
you guys are all tripping, the best guitar player to emulate and live by is CLEARLY dick gaughan.

anyway I was trying to find a specific thread for it but I guess it can go in here. i found it, i found the worst ever cover. the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-jeYSPQZ0

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
their live videos are funny because it's them taking their thing really seriously and the rest of their band who aren't nearly as committed to the lifestyle and you can see the growing looks of regret and shame on their faces as they play

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also if steve vai had been born in the 90s he'd probably be in a steampunk barbershop quartet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coohoolin posted:

you guys are all tripping, the best guitar player to emulate and live by is CLEARLY dick gaughan.

anyway I was trying to find a specific thread for it but I guess it can go in here. i found it, i found the worst ever cover. the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05-jeYSPQZ0
These are the most punchable looking people I've seen in a good long while

• Locked thread