Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

i mean it's definitely more that the clintons spent literal decades building a machine that can ultimately win a democratic primary and nothing else, largely through favor trading.

that said, when you effectively ARE the institution....yeah, I think it's fair to attribute some poo poo to institutional forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i just want to reiterate that cc posts with an air of authority but he's gotten every major political thing wrong for a while now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

obama brought in a bunch of new voters using leftist rhetoric so i dunno, it does work

lf saw thru that hope and change bs from teh beginning lol

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

I will admit my former dislike of Michael Moore might have something to do with the fact that he was most relevant in the 2000s when my own political views were godawful

go watch tv nation and the awful truth

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Al! posted:

lf saw thru that hope and change bs from teh beginning lol

LF would have won

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Karl Barks posted:

obama brought in a bunch of new voters using leftist rhetoric so i dunno, it does work

soooooort of.

he ran on "putting aside the partisanship of the 90s" in the primaries and kind of coasted on his initial opposition to Iraq to beat HRC, then the financial crisis hit and he jutted his chin at the banks, but he was always about bipartisan centrist poo poo in his speeches

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Karl Barks posted:

i just want to reiterate that cc posts with an air of authority but he's gotten every major political thing wrong for a while now

He also seems to disappear a lot when pressed on specifics, which makes me question his commitment to both concern AND citizenship.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Montasque posted:

Imagine spending $30+ million and getting less votes than a fake candidate that spent nothing.

get this: all the fuckwad know-nothing clintonites are citing his ~improvement~ over the fake candidate with $0 who ran against an unbeatable incumbent as evidence that Ossoffication is the correct choice for the party going forward

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

concern guarantees citizenship

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ohio was a) open, b) held once Bernie had established that he was a plausible candidate and the race had gotten competitive (he'd just had the surprise upset in Michigan), yet youth turnout declined relative to 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

soooooort of.

he ran on "putting aside the partisanship of the 90s" in the primaries and kind of coasted on his initial opposition to Iraq to beat HRC, then the financial crisis hit and he jutted his chin at the banks, but he was always about bipartisan centrist poo poo in his speeches

seriously: obama's main campaign theme was healing the divisions of Bush's incompetency

e: healing the divisions, not addressing the actual problems!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Ohio was a) open, b) held once Bernie had established that he was a plausible candidate and the race had gotten competitive (he'd just had the surprise upset in Michigan), yet youth turnout declined relative to 2008

we need a new Obama, lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You can always find another reason why a progressive (or a centrist) losing a particular place is anyone's fault but theirs, though.

For example, re the above: Ohio is terrible.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vox Nihili posted:

we need a new Obama, lol

pls no

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Boy I wonder why ~the youth~ can be extremely deflated about politics after getting suckered in by a faux-progressive who presided over their lives going to poo poo

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

seriously: obama's main campaign theme was healing the divisions of Bush's incompetency

Pretty sure it was Hope and Change.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i also sort of believe the policies don't matter as much as who is running and the operational competency. that's why it seems weird to me that people say we have to support centrist policies in order to win. i think it's just because thats their prefered policy, they just mask it in that language

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

in terms of charisma, youth, & speaking talent if nothing else

i mean, obama was really an incredible campaigner

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Pretty sure it was Hope and Change.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Oh Snapple! posted:

Boy I wonder why ~the youth~ can be extremely deflated about politics after getting suckered in by a faux-progressive who presided over their lives going to poo poo

loving young people ugh

No money, no hope, no peace...no vote?!? What gives?!?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i don't remember him really every using that language but okay

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This is messed up and I'm very disappointed in Ohio. Also, I'd like to thank you for coming to CC's rescue.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

in terms of charisma, youth, & speaking talent if nothing else

i mean, obama was really an incredible campaigner

and the mainstream dems STILL tried to saddle us with hillary that year too, lmao

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

KomradeX posted:

Well... are you gonna share or just tease us with that?

I'll make a few after work.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im running on a platform of redundancying out one of the Dakotas, and making Ohio illegal

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i love how neolibs try to retcon campaign obama and pretend that never existed

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama inspired people to get involved, convinced them that he was going to give them affordable healthcare, told them he was going to march with them for labor rights.

He passed insurance reform that left many of them hanging, ignored one of the largest teacher strikes in recent memory, and when they had the nerve to get involved via Occupy Wall Street he had the government break it up. Oh he also threw a ton of whistleblowers in jail.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also are we talking about the campaign obama who also said that he was a big Reagan fan

cuz i feel like that was a big tell right there

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hmm when i think about the obama 2008 campaign i think about how he used the words healing and division all the time

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Karl Barks posted:

hmm when i think about the obama 2008 campaign i think about how he used the words healing and division all the time

I do remember this.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Zhulik posted:

This is messed up and I'm very disappointed in Ohio. Also, I'd like to thank you for coming to CC's rescue.

Also, kind of hosed up that the overall primary turnout dropped by 45% between 2008 and 2016. What happened there?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

also are we talking about the campaign obama who also said that he was a big Reagan fan

it was but i'd wager a lot of folks involved for the first time missed it.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

also the 2012 campaign was arguably won in the mid west by pushing the auto bailouts. those companies were basically nationalized and they used that poo poo in the ads

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

i was one of the volunteer kucinich boys so that poo poo was probably in the primaries nobody useful covered :ohdear:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Zhulik posted:

Also, kind of hosed up that the overall primary turnout dropped by 45% between 2008 and 2016. What happened there?

bush was really really really bad

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

there is something so lame about "the resistance" like some hunger games hollywood bullshit

that's because it implies that the Dems are plucky underdog heroes fighting against the great evil, rather than a second evil empire which has lost power through its own incompetence

also, it's so clearly come out of a focus group for the express purpose of being a #twittermeme. there's no authenticity, and the astroturfers haven't figured out yet that real grassroots movements don't start with a hashtag

loquacius posted:

yeesh

this was not a stat I had seen

But it tracks. In elections where both candidates suck and you're basically picking for the one associated with fewer negative buzzwords in your head, the GOP will always win because old people are immune to low turnout.

those numbers say the exact opposite to me - Dem numbers almost exactly matched the previous year's, and the only reason the numbers were closer is because GOP turnout was way down

instead, the big takeaway is that for all the money they spent, all that campaigning, all that leaning rightward to pick up Republican suburbs, none of it worked. they turned out all the people who voted Dem last year, but they didn't manage to flip any Rs. any Republican that didn't want to vote for Handel just stayed home. in the end, all they managed to do with those tens of millions of dollars was maintain last year's turnout. the whole plan to flip Republicans was a huge failure

meanwhile, Tom Price got more votes than Handel literally every single time he ran in GA-06, including the times he ran totally unopposed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

Theres no red america or blue america but the united states of america

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

suck zone in a frenzy today god drat

Karl Barks posted:

also the 2012 campaign was arguably won in the mid west by pushing the auto bailouts. those companies were basically nationalized and they used that poo poo in the ads

that's a good thing right

I can't tell anymore

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karl Barks posted:

quote:

The challenges we face require tough choices, and Democrats as well as Republicans will need to cast off the worn-out ideas and politics of the past. For part of what has been lost these past eight years can't just be measured by lost wages or bigger trade deficits. What has also been lost is our sense of common purpose — our sense of higher purpose. And that's what we have to restore.

quote:

This too is part of America's promise — the promise of a democracy where we can find the strength and grace to bridge divides and unite in common effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Zhulik posted:

Ohio is the worst state north of the mason-dixon line

• Locked thread