Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

That doesn't justify not giving the option to skip tutorials.

You can skip them but they could have saved a lot of time by just giving you a blanket question at the beginning instead of asking you every time it pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

Every game will be someone's first game in the genre. Or maybe even first game overall.

Mario and Luigi Dream Team was literally my first Mario RPG, and the first JRPG style game I played since Dragon Warrior on the NES in the early 90's.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every game should use the BOTW tutorial system of "if you can get out of the starting room you've learned the game"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fremry posted:

Mario and Luigi Dream Team was literally my first Mario RPG, and the first JRPG style game I played since Dragon Warrior on the NES in the early 90's.

I hope you've gone back and played Mario RPG and Paper Mario since!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I am going to try the GBA one, but the older I get, the more I'm convinced that I just have no interest in turn based RPGs.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fremry posted:

I am going to try the GBA one, but the older I get, the more I'm convinced that I just have no interest in turn based RPGs.

Funnily enough, I'm enjoying turn-based... anything more and more as I approach middle age. I can barely play RTS games anymore because I simply can't keep all of the metaphorical balls in the air, but I have a great time with turn-based games like Panzer Corps/General, Order of Battle and so on.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes because the only people that play Nintendo games are adults who've been playing games for 30 years

When we we kids we did just fine without all the handholding. :bahgawd:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

seriously the tutorials would be tolerable if you could just skip them or they weren't so wordy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Fremry posted:

They're remaking that one on the 3DS later this year if you don't mind waiting.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Runbow Pocket came out yesterday in both NA and PAL regions. It's New Nintendo 3DS exclusive. NA has a regular and a "deluxe" edition, the Deluxe includes:

• Original single player game
  • Satura's Space Adventure
  • All 4 Costume & Music packs
  • 4 Nintendo 3DS Home Menu Themes

Regular is $14.99, Deluxe is $29.99. PAL price is not showing for me on the web for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Xz-LiHJRQ

That looks like it'd work perfectly fine in an O3DS.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

I got Cave Story+ for Switch and was curious if there was a way to switch between old and new graphics? Since it was a feature in older ports, I assumed it would be here, but it appears to only be the new look.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Nope, but the "new" look (which is like 8 years old by now) kicks rear end and looks great.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah. It looks fine, but I do have a weird gripe how there is a weird light that surrounds certain things like the bubbles of the Bubbline.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

Nope, but the "new" look (which is like 8 years old by now) kicks rear end and looks great.

Nah, they changed it a little from that version as well. It doesn't necessarily look better or worse but it sucks that they don't give you the choice of playing with the older and/or original visuals.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/877881855021686785
Is it the week of Sonic or something?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I guess they want to get some value of them before people stick to their whole free games on mobile plan: http://toucharcade.com/2017/06/21/sega-forever-first-impressions/

Maybe even entice people that love cheaper games, but hate playing on mobiles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

River City Knight of Justice is now out! Also a demo for Hey! Pikmin.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm not sure whether NOE have forgotten to update their website or what :effort: e: They seem to be updating it now, Oceanhorn has appeared.

Switch

ACA NeoGeo Fatal Fury 2 | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Cave Story+ | NA | $29.99 (eShop/Retail) (June 20)
Oceanhorn - Monster of Uncharted Seas | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £13.49 / €14.99 (eShop Only) (June 20 NA / June 22 PAL)

WiiU

Daikon Set | NA | (free) (eShop Only)

3DS

Ever Oasis | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99 (eShop/Retail) (June 23)
Hey! PIKMIN | PAL | (demo)
River City: Knights of Justice | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £13.29 / €14.99 (eShop Only) (June 20 NA / June 22 PAL)
RPG Maker Fes | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £ 34.99 / €39.99 (eShop/Retail) (Jun 27 NA / Jun 23 PAL)
RPG Maker Player | NA | free (eShop Only)

New 3DS
Runbow Pocket | NA | PAL | $ ? / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only) (June 20)
Runbow Pocket Deluxe Edition | NA | $29.99 (eShop Only) (June 20)

Yet Another NeoGeo fighting game (seriously, was that system 95% fighting games?) in ACA NeoGeo Fatal Fury 2. Also on Switch, Cave Story+ has dropped in NA for an extortionate amount of money. I think I'm the only person who doesn't own that game already. And the Original Character Do Not Steal game Oceanhorn - Monster of Uncharted Seas is also available. It actually looks pretty good, but apparently is only "ok".

On WiiU, there's Daikon Set, a weird collection of "3 mini games influenced by first generation home dedicated video game consoles and the retro coin-operated arcade era." It's free though, so whatever.

On 3DS, RPG Maker Fes will be available on Friday (PAL) or next Tuesday (NA). There's also the standalone player available on the eShop in NA. No idea whether it's also on the PAL eShop. Ever Oasis is also releasing in both regions, and NA have gotten the Kunio-Kun game River City: Knights of Justice. Finally, there's the New 3DS-Exclusive Runbow Pocket. As mentioned earlier in the week, NA got a Deluxe Edition, which isn't available in PAL regions for some reason.

Sakurazuka posted:

River City Knight of Justice is now out! Also a demo for Hey! Pikmin.
On the PAL eShop? It's not on the site, but it seems like they forgot/just haven't updated it yet. How much is it in the Queen's money?

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 22, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
How is Ever Oasis? I managed to miss the Treehouse presentation but liked the sound of it from the initial announcements.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

£13.49 which seems pretty reasonable.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Meldonox posted:

How is Ever Oasis? I managed to miss the Treehouse presentation but liked the sound of it from the initial announcements.

There's a demo of it on the eShop.

I tried it and loved it. The game is cute as heck and looks extremely my jam. Visually and tonally it's similar to Fantasy Life.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

£13.49 which seems pretty reasonable.
Yeah it's $14.99 US and €14.99 too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meldonox posted:

There's a demo out if you want to try it, game isn't out til tomorrow. My only issue was the movement speed is way too slow for the amount of running around they want you to do. And side quests seem very MMOy collect five things but there was only one in the demo so.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Still not really sold on Hey Pikmin after playing the demo :saddowns:

maybe I'll replay Pikmin 3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was okay to me, I think wether you like it or not is going to depend entirely on if the slow pacing puts you off. The main thing it reminds me of is one post-Lemmings puzzle games of the early 90's like Humans or King Arthur's World.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don't understand how anyone can think any game but Partners in Time is the worst Mario & Luigi game.

Color Splash update: I got new glasses and now I can actually distinguish most of the blank spots. Still suck at 97-99% on a bunch of levels which is frustrating!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it was the first one I played so I have some fond memories of it.

Still, the others are pretty top-tier.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

bizarre deformity posted:

I don't understand how anyone can think any game but Partners in Time is the worst Mario & Luigi game.

Color Splash update: I got new glasses and now I can actually distinguish most of the blank spots. Still suck at 97-99% on a bunch of levels which is frustrating!

It received a few memorable reviews that touched on it being not as good as SS. With only Paper Mario, Super Star Saga and Thousand-Year Door to compare with, it was the worst of the bunch. But then we got like 4 or 5 worser games between the M&L and PM series in the years going forward, and Partners in Time just retained that legacy of being "the worst one"

It's really just the worst of the best, rather than the worst game in the entire series.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mierenneuker posted:

I guess they want to get some value of them before people stick to their whole free games on mobile plan: http://toucharcade.com/2017/06/21/sega-forever-first-impressions/

Maybe even entice people that love cheaper games, but hate playing on mobiles.

No one sane would be satisfied with these mobile ports except for the Christian Whitehead Sonic ones. The emulation is some of the worst I've seen recently.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I had never heard of Knights of Justice until this thread just now, but I am buying the poo poo out of that. I am a huge mark for any of the games in that universe.

Also, I've always wanted them to re-release King Arthur's World on another platform. It's one of the few SNES games I own a cartridge copy of.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

irlZaphod posted:

Yet Another NeoGeo fighting game (seriously, was that system 95% fighting games?

50% fighting games, 50% beat em' ups/shoot em' ups and 10% great sports games.

NeoGeo had 110% of fun.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I had never heard of Knights of Justice until this thread just now, but I am buying the poo poo out of that. I am a huge mark for any of the games in that universe.
As a fan of the previous 3DS one I was seriously disappointed. And that's saying something because the first one had a lot of faults of its own!

It really is a 1 step forward, 3 steps back kind of thing. Spells are kinda cool and it's neat you can more or less keep weapons, but everyone is way too spongey and the moves actually got worse (there's no reason to not just use the standard combo the whole time as Skills are nigh useless. Grappling is non-existent now, too). There's a couple choices involved but they're incredibly minor and confusing (what, you didn't know you had to go here again while randomly doing this?), and there's no new game plus or anything like that. The random battles are annoying and usually occur every time you move between two map points (which can mean a dozen random battles just to get to a quest), and most of the time you literally get the same fight against 2 weak goons the whole game. There's only really a couple unique "bosses" and everyone else uses the exact same fighting style. It's very short (5 hours if you don't just start running from battles) and the localization is confusing. Oh, and speaking of quests there's no quest shop, so have fun talking to literally every single person in the game over and over to see if you missed one. Finally, while the number of enemies/allies on screen has improved (though there's slowdown now, at least on my original 3DS), very rare is it to have a level that's anything than just two or three screens with no paths or anything.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 27, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are a few download-only Kunio games for 3DS and they're all at that level of quality.

River City: Rival Showdown, the River City Ransom remake coming later this year, is probably the best of all the 3DS games but it's not massively better than Tokyo Rumble.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I disagree, I found it worse than Tokyo Rumble.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just to be clear, you know I'm not talking about River City Ransom Underground, right?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, sorry, I meant Knights of Justice. Even Tokyo Rumble was kind of a "you gotta make your own fun" kind of game that reminded me more of those weird Japanese imports you'd get on the GBA all the time. I'm actually still interested in the remake but thought I'd warn others off this one.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Goddamn we need a loving chart for all these RCR games

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Where does Super Dodgeball fit into the Kunio-kun timeline?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

irlZaphod posted:

Where does Super Dodgeball fit into the Kunio-kun timeline?

And what about Nintendo World Cup?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWI5FOneLs

I love how it was a legitimate option in that game to just KO everyone on the opposing team. No referee there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lest we forget Super Mario Galaxy 2 coming with an instructional DVD on how to play the game.

Wait that was real? I always thought that was just a Mega64 joke.