Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

dentist toy box posted:

When is Boston?

TRIGGERED

I seriously wanted that to happen. IndyCar in my back yard? YES PLEASE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

I'm not trying to rig up a FS GO feed when I've got the WEC one working perfectly fine, but I love the work MP does. Always good to hear from him on Midweek Motorsport, or to catch the podcasts.

Yeah, he's insanely knowledgeable. Though I can't think of a team that has more racing knowledge than him and Robin Miller, even if Miller does have his quirks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Yeah, he's insanely knowledgeable. Though I can't think of a team that has more racing knowledge than him and Robin Miller, even if Miller does have his quirks.

I would dare say Hindy or others on RLM may beat Miller on anything outside Indy, but that's understandable given Robin's experience and history.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Early (really, really early) forecasts for Sunday in Elkhart Lake: 30% chance of rain :getin:

The last wet Indycar race I can remember was New Hampshire :v:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

There's been some good wet races since then other than nola.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

A light sprinkle would be awesome. The rain tires suck in anything more.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1994-05-27/sports/9405260801_1_dick-simon-sixth-driver-fbi

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I think it just said showers, that'd be pretty awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

A light sprinkle would be awesome. The rain tires suck in anything more.

While I agree... Are there any rain tires in any series that truly work well with standing water?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

While I agree... Are there any rain tires in any series that truly work well with standing water?

Ask Max Verstappen, who can make them work somehow.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The wets would probably work better if they didn't parade the cars around for like 10 laps more than they need to be every time it's wet.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

We could watch the 2001 race to prep for it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

you mean surfers 2002 right

e:

theres a point midway through this article that like two separate, distinct pieces got merged

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 19, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141577-mclaren-indycar-return-a-few-years-off-brown
McLaren may likely return to the Indy 500, reiterates a full-season entry is further down the road, if they do.

*edit*
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/robby-gordon-banned-from-racing-in-australia-for-doing-1796242394
Tangentially related, since Robby raced in the series in the Long Ago, but he's gotten in trouble with the Aussies for doing donuts on a city street in his stadium super truck.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 20, 2017

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/fakemarkplourde/status/877255525595062272

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

hopefully his Marsh Supermarkets sponsorship comes through for the 500 next year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeller car battle

https://twitter.com/RLLracing/status/877325646271098881

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That's a drat nice look.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nice. Looks exactly like his old Atlantics scheme. Same sponsor too.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The world is a better place with more yellow/black cars.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Should be the full-time scheme, but it's probably a one-two race deal or something.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Needs to have a dark number on the yellow paint scheme though, yikes. White is real hard to read.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Dammit Graham stick to one color scheme!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/877562721914335232

Best series on the planet.

Accept no substitutes.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Looks like he just pulled into her driveway and didn't even roll his window down all the way to make sure she couldn't reach in. Shoots her a smile before asking where the nearest Taco Bell was and hosed off.

Also if your criteria for a sport to be amazing are the participants going and seeing fans outside of designated venues then you've got a lot of competition.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Looks like he just pulled into her driveway and didn't even roll his window down all the way to make sure she couldn't reach in. Shoots her a smile before asking where the nearest Taco Bell was and hosed off.

Also if your criteria for a sport to be amazing are the participants going and seeing fans outside of designated venues then you've got a lot of competition.

https://twitter.com/jakequery/status/877546671793635328

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

He's still boring af! :colbert:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Holy gently caress, Scott Dixon has some seriously withered looking legs there god drat. That knee is like a dagger.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

NHRA is also cool and good for those reasons.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wirth1000 posted:

Holy gently caress, Scott Dixon has some seriously withered looking legs there god drat. That knee is like a dagger.

Like have you seen any non-NASCAR drivers? 99% of them are anorexic manlets.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

gret posted:

Like have you seen any non-NASCAR drivers? 99% of them are anorexic manlets.

Yeah, I mean even by those standards just look at those knees... I'd be scared.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

FuzzySkinner posted:

NHRA is also cool and good for those reasons.

NHRA sucks and is bad for many other reasons.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wirth1000 posted:

just look at those knees

pretty sure this was a 100% unironic 'but her sharp knees!'

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/06/21/sebastien-bourdais-its-pretty-straightforward-simple-id-dead/412351001/

This is a fantastic article. Read it.

Kind of newsworthy bit:

quote:

“One of the issues all over the world about open cockpit cars is, should they exist?” Trammell said. “Should they have a total enclosure?”

IndyCar is set to take delivery of a prototype windscreen in July. He said the pre-testing is done; now it’s time for ballistic testing. The windscreens are remarkably simple and look like '70s-style Indy-car windshields.

Anyone want to share some examples of that era? Research, you know.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is an awesome article.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

pretty sure this was a 100% unironic 'but her sharp knees!'

Indeed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fauxhawk Express posted:

NHRA sucks and is bad for many other reasons.

If you want me to kick your rear end you can just ask me personally.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

Anyone want to share some examples of that era? Research, you know.

I kinda expect/hope they end up looking like this, from Mario's 84 championship Lola:

I doubt they will be as verticle as they were in the 70s, like in this 77 Parnelli (my dad in the middle of the bottom row)

(ps thats parnelli in the polka dot shirt, lol)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Cygni how was your dad so cool and you so not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Cygni how was your dad so cool and you so not

wait till i show you my grandfather, the ww2 ace in p-51's and p-47's, who went on to be a test pilot with first flights in variants of the f-86 and f-100

and i work at a desk. i dunno man, something definitely got diluted in here somewhere.

• Locked thread