Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

keep ur friends close...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

smith is shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland which is one of shittiest cabinet positions

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zikan posted:

smith is shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland which is one of shittiest cabinet positions

haha owned

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He will shock and awe them with his tremendous peenas.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Austerity and inequities are choices, they are NOT necessities" :pusheen:

:bernpop:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anta posted:

Not actual luxury flats, just luxury-adjacent:

speaking of which~

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

speaking of which~

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

In fairness, he's one of the few MPs that could actually be said to give a poo poo about Northern Ireland, which in turn makes him one of the few ministers on either side of the aisle that actually understands their brief.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Vox Nihili posted:

speaking of which~

this is a lucky ducky cartoon made real

(apartment complex burns down, is homeless lost all possessions and maybe even lost family members)
(gets given new housing)
lucky ducky!!!!!!!! :argh:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Fast Luck posted:

this is a lucky ducky cartoon made real

(apartment complex burns down, is homeless lost all possessions and maybe even lost family members)
(gets given new housing)
lucky ducky!!!!!!!! :argh:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They should let people do switcheroos, like trade their house to one of the displaced victims in exchange for getting to live in the fancy new flats.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Vox Nihili posted:

speaking of which~

lol why would you say this out loud

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

those people who lost everything in a fire get allll the benefits!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

rich people

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Anta posted:

Not actual luxury flats, just luxury-adjacent:

oh, so these ones are fitted with flammable cladding?

wouldn't want those poors to think they can live in non-kindlebox housing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Karl Barks posted:

those people who lost everything in a fire get allll the benefits!

lucky ducky!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Karl Barks posted:

london is a disease

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Karl Barks posted:

That's not even the most infuriating comment from that article, that would go to

quote:

I’m very sad that people have lost their homes, but there are a lot of people here who have bought flats and will now see the values drop. It will degrade things. And it opens up a can of worms in the housing market

:qq:My property values!:qq:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/dongoehubaire/status/877708372434272256

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

liberals are loving terrified of left wing people getting in charge lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

liberals are loving terrified of left wing people getting in charge lol

afaik Yglesias's critique of Ossof is that he wasn't willing to outline any policy plans, which meant people would have no idea what they're even voting for. Libs are terrified of having to explain what they want.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The replies to Matt Yglesias on twitter were absolutely insane. There's this bizarre notion cultivated by the centrists for years now, that outlining your political intentions equates to a promise of action in government, and that not fulfilling those intentions due to an obstructionist opposition would be breaking that promise. Therefore, you should just aim low and only campaign on what you can actually expect to get done in legislature, which is gonna be some idiotic half-measure like the ACA or raising the retirement age for social security. Centrist libs just don't get politics at all.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The replies to Matt Yglesias on twitter were absolutely insane. There's this bizarre notion cultivated by the centrists for years now, that outlining your political intentions equates to a promise of action in government, and that not fulfilling those intentions due to an obstructionist opposition would be breaking that promise. Therefore, you should just aim low and only campaign on what you can actually expect to get done in legislature, which is gonna be some idiotic half-measure like the ACA or raising the retirement age for social security. Centrist libs just don't get politics at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNnGxpCjspg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

there were pieces in the right wing papers here about how corbyn was offering bribes to young people to get them to vote for him and young people can't be trusted with voting

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

We've come to a point where every four years this national fever rises up — this hunger for the Saviour, the White Knight, the Man on Horseback — and whoever wins becomes so immensely powerful, like Nixon is now, that when you vote for President today you're talking about giving a man dictatorial power for four years. I think it might be better to have the President sort of like the King of England — or the Queen — and have the real business of the presidency conducted by... a City Manager-type, a Prime Minister, somebody who's directly answerable to Congress, rather than a person who moves all his friends into the White House and does whatever he wants for four years. The whole framework of the presidency is getting out of hand. It's come to the point where you almost can't run unless you can cause people to salivate and whip each other with big sticks. You almost have to be a rock star to get the kind of fever you need to survive in American politics.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i don't know if the british system is preferable but that's what hunter s. thompson thought and also the brits have the NHS and i don't so

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Finally, the future we all want: competent, sharp-elbowed management of a system designed to streamline wealth into the pockets of a few.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

someone should resurrect hunter s thompson so he can see what he's missing

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i don't know if the british system is preferable but that's what hunter s. thompson thought and also the brits have the NHS and i don't so
You'd have had the NHS if it wasn't for Bad Dems and Crooked Doctors in the truman era.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

there were pieces in the right wing papers here about how corbyn was offering bribes to young people to get them to vote for him and young people can't be trusted with voting

Tax cuts aren't a bribe though because uh... um... *does the pulling finger off magic trick only for the skin to slide off from Hapsburg's Hyperhydrosis*

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Parliamentary systems have their issues, but they're way better than having a senate and imperial presidency like we do. The fact that so many presidential republics turned into presidential dictatorships says it all. The one compelling thing I've heard about how parliamentary systems are bad is the threat of not being able to form a government. Well uh, good. If politics are so dysfunctional that the voting public can't even empower a winning coalition, then any government that's forced upon them wouldn't represent the public will.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 10:22 on Jun 22, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
To be fair the US used to be more parliamentary until congress decided it was a much better idea to let successive presidents steal more and more power so they didn't have to make any hard decisions

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Power has shifted massively towards the executive in the Westminster system as well tbf

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Zikan posted:

Jeremy Corbyn Helldumps The Tories

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Obama had to compromise on healthcare so that he could continue to charge up his political capital and unleash an even more progressive kamehameha.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

this is the most damning thing about the ossoff election:

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/877697647645040642

if the democrats managed a similar swing to any of the other elections, places all over the country, they'd have an extra seat right now. instead the perfectly smooth featureless centrist with millions of dollars of backing achieved less than everyone else

evidence is looking pretty good 'articulate a clear policy difference and go left' as a strategy so far, in both UK and US

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

yglesias has been pretty okay recently for a guy who once wrote a pro-sweatshop article (tbf he repudiated it later)

Peel has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol the democrats are so loving incompetent

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the dems could literally just pay people to vote for them and get a better roi

EDIT: hello england

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Jose posted:

someone should resurrect hunter s thompson so he can see what he's missing

He'd take one look around and blow his brains out all over again.

Edit: although before he did, he would write an amazing teardown of all those recent 'maybe Nixon want so bad?' think pieces that have been floating around.