Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Andrast posted:

It's going to bad and the writing will be awful just like every other Cage game

*10 seconds later*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
David Cage and Tommy Wiseau should make something together.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

HGH posted:

*10 seconds later*

Yeah, the other day there were some game journalism people on twitter talking about how David Cage has completely different but always clearly prepared answers for the same questions in different interviews in a way that has to be done on purpose, because if not then what the hell is that even about.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

MrLonghair posted:

David Cage and Tommy Wiseau should make something together.

Would you really want to restrict Wiseau like this?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

David Cage talks in exactly the same way that he writes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Tommy Wiseau and Derek Smart should make a game together.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I just hope there will be wastelands full of lavomatics.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

David Cage talks in exactly the same way that he writes.

Well David Cage is a real person (I think) so therefore he is writing very realistically.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Veib posted:

Yeah, the other day there were some game journalism people on twitter talking about how David Cage has completely different but always clearly prepared answers for the same questions in different interviews in a way that has to be done on purpose, because if not then what the hell is that even about.

Hmmm maybe just maybe David Cage is a hack

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for HDR help

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Its 2017, do people still believe it when devs go "your choices matter!"?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Attitude Indicator posted:

I stopped listening to devs saying "see that mountain? you can GO there!" but then BOTW did just that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And there was nothing there, and you wondered why you bothered.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

haveblue posted:

Horizon and Uncharted 4, basically. The Last Guardian definitely supports HDR but I'm not sure about 4K.
Oh yeah, U4, too. The DLC coming out should be a real joy.

Horn posted:

If I get the HDR video is playing pop up does that mean it's working or is that a red herring? H:ZD looks really nice on my 65" ks8000 but I'm not blown away by it like others are.
I played it on non-Pro on my excellent 4K (non-HDR) TV, and I just kept snapping screenshots.

Might be you haven't calibrated your TV or set the RGB Range to Full (or whatever the equivalent is for Samsung).

I usually just borrow the calibration profile from a FlatPanels or TFT Central review, but Darko also makes some great videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb4V6ziwDik

TLOU is literally unplayable for me without the right settings because their games can get so dark. It's the Daredevil of testing black levels.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 21, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

David Cage's hackiness doesn't bother so much as that his games basically demand to be taken with 100% absolute sincerity. I don't think he's ever come across as overly pretentious to me, although it's easy to see why people get that impression after playing one of his games. I'm willing to see how Detroit shapes up and if all that Sony money was put to good use.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

CharlestheHammer posted:

There was the satisfaction of playing a zelda, what more do you need?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah that's what happened when I played Skyrim. BOTW had tons of poo poo, and getting to the top of the mountain felt good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
BOTW had a huge problem of it being an open world with really nothing that interesting in it.

If you like to explore just to explore just to explore its fine but if you like to explore to find cool poo poo it really doesn't work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Other people might disagree but I'd say that Until Dawn did this really well, both in presenting the illusion of choice and the actual permutations of who could survive, and did Cage better than Cage.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Nah that's what happened when I played Skyrim. BOTW had tons of poo poo, and getting to the top of the mountain felt good.

Skyrims have lost of poo poo on mountains. Towns, dungeons, ruins, sometimes a quest, mats. The world of BOTW is much sparse populated, or my version was broken.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

BOTW had a huge problem of it being an open world with really nothing that interesting in it.

If you like to explore just to explore just to explore its fine but if you like to explore to find cool poo poo it really doesn't work.

I disagree. The stuff you found was very similar, falling into the scope of just a few different types of findable things (shrines, koroks, weapons, chests, enemy encounters, ingredients) but there was plenty of it. Koroks in particular were spaced out fairly well, such that you weren't finding them too frequently to make them seem redundant, but not too few to make them seem super scarce. Made looking in every zone for the tell-tale signs that much more important. I never felt like I got somewhere seemingly important and thought "that was pointless".

It's not super dense, but it's not super sparse either. Not to mention that some zones have really neat things to find, such as dragons, mazes, and old temples. Plus, even counting the exploration for exploration's sake, that movement felt really, really good. But different strokes, I suppose.

Tei posted:

Skyrims have lost of poo poo on mountains. Towns, dungeons, ruins, sometimes a quest, mats. The world of BOTW is much sparse populated, or my version was broken.

I felt like there were far fewer opportunities to find neat things in Skyrim, though the fewer things they did have were much more complex and interesting than BOTW. I had the "that was pointless" effect far more with Skyrim than with BOTW.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 21, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah Skyrim has much more to do than BOTW, it's just a huge pain in the rear end to get there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Clutch Rockets are the best rockets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4006HO_5v8

Also, man when you just get into the zone on a hard race, and the music is on your side... it feels SO good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI-CWOfkEMs

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Skyrim has much more to do than BOTW, it's just a huge pain in the rear end to get there.

I can agree with that, but perhaps the way it was spread out in Skyrim left a lot of empty space. I wonder when they're coming out with the next Elder Scrolls game.

Speaking of which, is ESO any good? I picked it up a while back, I think without any expansions, and had a hard time getting into it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
what i don't get is why do devs think players care about moral choices or split paths or whatever the hell

do most people like that kind of stuff? seems to me either you're indifferent to it or it just pisses you off because it isn't done well or "nothing mattered it was an illusion waah" or forces multiple playthroughs to see all the content or whatever

I understand why "open world" became a Thing, but i don't get how branching paths/moral decisions have become such a staple in the industry

who here likes split paths so drat much that they are influencing the way games are made, gosh darn it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theres always something to find in botw.

its just overwhelmingly one of 3 things

1. a seed that increases your inventory but you need way too many of them eventually

2. a shrine that has 2 loading screens, 3 cutscene animations, and a very easy puzzle/fight/nothing at all that will severely hurt my desire to replay the game in anything other than low heart runs because i'm not doing them again ever.

3. a item you shouldn't get attached to.

i really like botw. its an extremely fun world simulation game where your enjoyment is only limited by your imagination to gently caress around with physics and ai and so forth. the developer created content for the game gets lame though imo. i think it gets a pass on a lot of stuff and i'm ready for mario to come out and really be that perfect game that i want

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

what i don't get is why do devs think players care about moral choices or split paths or whatever the hell

do most people like that kind of stuff? seems to me either you're indifferent to it or it just pisses you off because it isn't done well or "nothing mattered it was an illusion waah" or forces multiple playthroughs to see all the content or whatever

I understand why "open world" became a Thing, but i don't get how branching paths/moral decisions have become such a staple in the industry

who here likes split paths so drat much that they are influencing the way games are made, gosh darn it

publishers have like a list of buzzword things that they demand from devs and replayability is a huge one they ask for so its partially that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I love 'em. I started playing WRPGs back in 2014 because I wanted to finally have some control over my game. You have no idea how amazing it was to kick Morrigan out of the party. I've been playing JRPGs for most of my life and never once coul ddo that.

Heavy Rain had some nice moral choices. It's very different from your BioWare/WRPG type decision making, though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
i guess it's pretty neat when done well but as a regular player of all types of RPGs, I don't think a single "take charge of your story" game has provided a better experience than a more traditional, linear storyline (like Persona 5 or Dragon Quest 8),

It sort of feels like devs put a plot together with a bunch of detachable blocks and you get to add/remove modules vs organically altering the story, it just feels cheap and no less linear than a game without choices. Along the same vein many WRPGs feel "soul-less" and lacking in identity (though New Vegas was the loving bomb)

likewise, customizing your party down to their tiniest attribute has not led to stronger character interaction or development vs a pre-canned character with a few customization traits (though i do love me some fashion souls)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Speaking of which, is ESO any good? I picked it up a while back, I think without any expansions, and had a hard time getting into it.

It's mind numbingly boring

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you can't get into it there's not much point sticking with it - mechanically you're doing largely the same thing at level 5 as you are level 50.

The story can be quite fun and interesting - the thief/dark brotherhood stuff especially - but unless you're one to enjoy pootling about, eh.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Other people might disagree but I'd say that Until Dawn did this really well, both in presenting the illusion of choice and the actual permutations of who could survive, and did Cage better than Cage.

I'm other people. Who lives or dies in until dawn doesn't matter at all, it's just triggers for having chris' ugly mug in the background or not.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess it depends on what you think "matters".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing matters, dehumanise yourself

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Until Dawn has incredibly few choices that actually significantly change the story and a lot of plot invincibility that stands out brutally if you let it. It's good at providing the illusion of risk but doesn't actually reflect your choices very much with like two exceptions. For a game about Butterfly Effect there's not a lot of Butterfly Effect to it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I like choice in games, when it actually matters; as in, when I can end up in a few pretty different situations than when I started. Alpha Protocol is an amazing example of that (and not much else) and Dragon Age Origins had enough variation between my male dwarven commoner rogue and female elven mage playthrough that it really did feel different even if a lot of the dungeon crawling was the same. I also haven't replayed Witcher 3 since it's a hundred hours long but it seemed like your choices can make some big differences in the end, but W3 is good at pretty much everything so that's to be expected.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Until Dawn has incredibly few choices that actually significantly change the story and a lot of plot invincibility that stands out brutally if you let it. It's good at providing the illusion of risk but doesn't actually reflect your choices very much with like two exceptions. For a game about Butterfly Effect there's not a lot of Butterfly Effect to it.

But the game is entirely story, so, in contrast to something like Uncharted, your choices impact the story a huge amount.

Saying that it doesn't matter when characters die or which characters die seems totally disingenuous in a game that is entirely story. Like, if there were no choices in until dawn, then "none of it would matter" because the game would play out actually the same for everyone, instead of "practically" the same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He didn't say they don't matter, he is saying they don't matter enough to care.

Which is true.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Snak posted:

But the game is entirely story, so, in contrast to something like Uncharted, your choices impact the story a huge amount.

Saying that it doesn't matter when characters die or which characters die seems totally disingenuous in a game that is entirely story. Like, if there were no choices in until dawn, then "none of it would matter" because the game would play out actually the same for everyone, instead of "practically" the same.

it doesn't matter because it doesn't impact the story in any way. if a character survives beyond their "death point" they won't do or say anything more in the game. if they die someone will say "they dead" and never be mentioned again. their deaths/survival means nothing to anyone in the way it's delivered in the story.
i guess if you were super attached to generic horror character #3 it would mean something to you, but it's hard to care when no one else does.

E: it does go well with the genre though, since everyone in horror movies exists to be stereotypes, then fodder.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Choices are good. "Moral" choices are bad because the good/bad thing is almost impossible to get right in the context of a video game.

edit: the industry seems to have gotten the message about this and ditched it entirely, even under other names. ME Andromeda doesn't have a paragon/renegade thing under any name, right?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 21, 2017