Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Got caught texting a backhoe, realizes he made a mistake? It's pretty obvious.

computer

Enhance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

flosofl posted:

They use huge solid steel pins that go in the brackets on the bucket. But the bucket needs to be resting on the ground. The weight of the bucket would make it almost impossible to remove the pins while suspended (if installed correctly).

Most likely explanation is a lovely weld-job, incorrect pins for the bucket size, or metal fatigue with the brackets.

I will furnish my nightclub with stuff like this, along with industry-standard pins

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=n9X3fue&v=3GRSbr0EYYU&s=13

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

https://nucleardiner.wordpress.com/2017/06/19/a-critical-problem/

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rollers can apparently loving move if they want to.

"I have no idea what this is, I wonder what the big deal i-:stare:"

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 21, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

I'm enjoying the chase vehicle not helping him at all.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

At first the scale of this made them look not look very large and I was like that's not that bad until I noticed the sharpie. That's real dumb.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I don't even trust ladders on the ground

:gonk:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Irradiation posted:

At first the scale of this made them look not look very large and I was like that's not that bad until I noticed the sharpie. That's real dumb.

Excellent username/post combo.

I would love to see a model of the neutron flux going on during that photo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's enough plutonium (assuming it is purified and weapons-grade) to make at least one, maybe two bomb cores, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

That's enough plutonium (assuming it is purified and weapons-grade) to make at least one, maybe two bomb cores, right?

If there is concern that them rolling together could cause a criticality accident on a benchtop, then by definition it’s enough to make at least one bomb core.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

If there is concern that them rolling together could cause a criticality accident on a benchtop, then by definition it’s enough to make at least one bomb core.

Enough material to sustain criticality is not the same amount as enough material to become prompt supercritical.

I still suspect you're right, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell, I'll be supercritical if nobody else is going to be: Maybe don't keep explosive radioactive materials sitting about an inch away from each other!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Relevant regarding criticality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh89h8FxNhQ

(This actually happened.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 22, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sagebrush posted:

Almost certainly, I'd say multiple. Even a large modern weapon only requires about 4kg.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Hell, I'll be supercritical if nobody else is going to be: Maybe don't keep explosive radioactive materials sitting about an inch away from each other!

Management for some reason asked for them to be photographed together like that so they were deliberately arranged that way by request.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Enough material to sustain criticality is not the same amount as enough material to become prompt supercritical.

I still suspect you're right, though.

Yeah but eight skinny rods is far from an optimal geometry, and there are so many other factors at work in a warhead.

If it’s borderline like this, shaping it into a sphere and wrapping it in explosives will easily push it over the edge.

Sharpies are five and three‐eighths inches long, if someone feels like doing the arithmetic.

e: Actually, the author of that blog post worked it out today and posted an update.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 22, 2017

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Stealing this for the next time someone asks me why not just stand around under the forklift load.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Management for some reason asked for them to be photographed together like that so they were deliberately arranged that way by request.

Y'know, I think that's an okay cause for telling your manager to go ahead and stuff it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The update says that there's about 4kg of plutonium in the picture, and a critical mass is 11kg. That means the critical mass that would sustain a chain reaction in an uncompressed sphere, right? If you have an implosion system and you're okay with blowing everything to bits you can get away with much less?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Three-Phase posted:

Whenever someone gets pissed at the movie Prometheus for having all these scientists who behave like idiots, I always point to this scene.

They were adjusting that poo poo by tilting a goddamn screwdriver and as a result one of them got to die a slow painful death.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

The update says that there's about 4kg of plutonium in the picture, and a critical mass is 11kg. That means the critical mass that would sustain a chain reaction in an uncompressed sphere, right? If you have an implosion system and you're okay with blowing everything to bits you can get away with much less?

Yes. There are a bunch of other things you can do to reduce the mass you need, too, like surrounding the plutonium in a material that reflects neutrons.

Here is a primer, with an interactive demonstration.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I've read the story a hundred times but that video is still creepy as hell.

What would been the effect if Slotin hadn't pulled the reflectors apart? The official Army report says that everyone in the room would have died, but that would just be because they couldn't get far enough away in time to reduce their dose below a fatal level, right? The assembly wouldn't go off like a nuclear bomb, but I imagine it would probably rapidly melt itself into slag and burn through the floor, emitting intense radiation the whole time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

I've read the story a hundred times but that video is still creepy as hell.

What would been the effect if Slotin hadn't pulled the reflectors apart? The official Army report says that everyone in the room would have died, but that would just be because they couldn't get far enough away in time to reduce their dose below a fatal level, right? The assembly wouldn't go off like a nuclear bomb, but I imagine it would probably rapidly melt itself into slag and burn through the floor, emitting intense radiation the whole time.

Later analysis showed that self‐heating of the assembly halted the reaction within a small fraction of a second. Slotin’s move had no immediate effect.

e: I should add that if the Demond Core had been allowed to cool, it might have contracted and started reacting again, but the worst‐case scenario is that it melts into something that’s not sphere shaped and that halts the process.

The reason the fuel in nuclear power plants can tunnel through concrete is that it’s heated by decay. It doesn’t need to react to stay molten.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 22, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

Yes. There are a bunch of other things you can do to reduce the mass you need, too, like surrounding the plutonium in a material that reflects neutrons.

Here is a primer, with an interactive demonstration.

OK I played with that far too long.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Next step is dropping a block of dry ice weighed down so it can travel quickly down because I can imagine it just sitting at the surface.

Then the next other step is to go back in time and get solid sodium the military were throwing into a nearby lake because the metal barrels were super corroded and no train company wanted to take the risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

Throw one of those in. Though I am not sure if anything in the molten rock would take the sodium ions as well as water.. unless we throw in 20L of water in after it :pseudo:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EVIL Gibson posted:

Next step is dropping a block of dry ice weighed down so it can travel quickly down because I can imagine it just sitting at the surface.

If you drop it from a height, it'll go in - assuming no thick crust on top of the lava.

But if you drop it lightly, yes, it'll float. Of course, so will people.

Someone did the maths once and worked out, given the difference in density between the human body and molten rock, a human on lava would be equivalent to dropping styrofoam onto engine oil.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

Like human bodies :science:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I guess the actual set-up was deemed too unrealistic for the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core posted:

Slotin, who was given to bravado, became the local expert, performing the test on almost a dozen occasions, often in his trademark blue jeans and cowboy boots, in front of a roomful of observers. Enrico Fermi reportedly told Slotin and others they would be "dead within a year" if they continued performing it.

Bonus OSHA points: The same core had already gone critical before when a different scientist dropped a tungsten brick on it.

So Math fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 22, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

According to those articles, a technician ignored glovebox limits and arranged the plutonium to take that photo for management. A Los Alamos manager is also quoted in the articles as saying that the criticality safety group was an unnecessary expense. A number of the senior people in the criticality safety group were of my vintage and were expected to retire about when I did. According to the articles, management’s signal was heard loud and clear, and the rest left.

One of the reasons for adding industrial partners to the management of Los Alamos along with the University of California was to improve safety practices. That was done without considering the standard industrial management practice of rotating managers rapidly and the ever-present profit motive. Industry does things better, period. But perhaps not for a singular enterprise like designing and building nuclear weapons.

Every time your boss tells you to do something unsafe so he can feel more efficient, just relax and remember that the same thing would happen even if you were working with loving plutonium.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

https://www.wetp.org More like https://www.wetblanket.org

:colbert:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

So Math posted:

I guess the actual set-up was deemed too unrealistic for the movie.

Bonus OSHA points: The same core had already gone critical before when a different scientist dropped a tungsten brick on it.

And that's why they called it The Demon Core.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Is it wrong to want to hit those with a sledge hammer, just to see what would happen?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

And that's why they called it The Demon Core.

They should have kept it around as a curiosity instead of using it for a bomb. Y'know, like how a bull should get to live if it kills a matador.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/877632095740284930

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lime Tonics posted:

Is it wrong to want to hit those with a sledge hammer, just to see what would happen?

IIRC the more spherical they are, the greater the risk of criticality, so flattening them might make them safer.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Volcott posted:

They should have kept it around as a curiosity instead of using it for a bomb. Y'know, like how a bull should get to live if it kills a matador.

They didn't use it for a bomb. It was supposed to be used in the Operation Crossroads tests but it ended up not being used due to it's radioactivity levels following the criticality accident. It was eventually melted down and used to make other cores.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

Every time your boss tells you to do something unsafe so he can feel more efficient, just relax and remember that the same thing would happen even if you were working with loving plutonium.

As I said in the other thread, "It's not critical unless the rods touch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lime Tonics posted:

Yes; there wouldn't be any risk of a nuclear reaction, but I suspect it would be unsafe for all sorts of other reasons. I am not a chemist, but flattening one of those cylinders would expose lots more of it to the air, and plutonium oxides are pyrophoric, and you really don't want to be breathing any of it in.