Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

But the game is entirely story, so, in contrast to something like Uncharted, your choices impact the story a huge amount.

Saying that it doesn't matter when characters die or which characters die seems totally disingenuous in a game that is entirely story. Like, if there were no choices in until dawn, then "none of it would matter" because the game would play out actually the same for everyone, instead of "practically" the same.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter if characters live or die. I'm saying their are extremely few places where characters live or die in general and of those a good portion of them are not really a reflection of choices. There are ones where it works but a lot of the game doesn't even give you that variety, it is just good at making you think it does.

It's also worth noting that it has the problem (mentioned above) of every character having a death point and not effectively existing beyond that point, which does devalue deaths because while they die it doesn't feel meaningful if the choice is basically death or nonexistence.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
The only time I felt like choice was important in a video game is when you confront The Special Someone in GTAIV. It's the real ending of the game in a way.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the only important choice in video games is do you go for that aerial in rocket league or position yourself for defense, nevermind your teammate rammed you into the wall

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If I say David Cage's name three times will he go away

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sakurazuka posted:

Nothing matters, dehumanise yourself

https://imgur.com/HSt0Ycd

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's a comprehensive list of games where choice actually matters.

Fallout New Vegas
Some old CRPGS

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

How dare u leave Alpha Protocol off that list

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah. I always forget that one. Props to them for what they did there, but I could never get more than 3 hours into it because it was so bad in every other regard.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I guess the witcher 3 never existed

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Witcher 2 has at least one really important choice that obviously matters a whole lot.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Then is completely disregarded in W3 and referenced with maybe three lines of dialogue. :v:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

poptart_fairy posted:

Then is completely disregarded in W3 and referenced with maybe three lines of dialogue. :v:

Hey man, choices even mattering in the game you're already playing is already a bridge too far for most devs, let's not shoot for the moon here

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

rabidsquid posted:

How dare u leave Alpha Protocol off that list

My favorite thing in alpha protocol is that if you make the same choices but do it in a different order/timeframe can end up with a completely different outcomes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Teyrn Logain showing up in DAI was cool as hell though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Digirat posted:

I guess the witcher 3 never existed

I can't remember any of the choices affecting the ending more in the witcher than they do in any other game with choices

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Harlock posted:

If I say David Cage's name three times will he go away

We have to destroy his Phylactery. It's a Russian Nesting Doll, tucked away inside the Phylactery for Randy Pitchford.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

https://mobile.pcgamesupply.com/catalog/product/Sony-Playstation-Network-10

PCgamesupply has got %30 off $10 PSN cards, though you can only buy one. Still, free three dollars.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

HZD was great. Story was more straight forward than what I expected but still good enough at least for a video game. Only the bunkers at the end of the game and the audio logs got little on my nerve. The world and combat was amazing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

:smug:

(Jesus that's about a year straight of gameplay)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can't remember any of the choices affecting the ending more in the witcher than they do in any other game with choices

Your choices can lead to three different endings which are each 20 minutes long, take place in different playable locations, and have massively different outcomes for the characters. They're all also extremely well-presented, where the worst ending isn't a throwaway thing but is just as much of a capstone to the game as any of the others. Every part of the epilogue can also change, and this is just the ending. There's a huge number of choices both large and small with visible consequences throughout the game that aren't tied to the ending, such as the fate of the baron and who goes to kaer mohren with you. If those aren't "choices that matter" then what loving is?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Looks like we're getting both Cities: Skylines and Pillars of Eternity in August. I never played them on PC, so I'm pretty psyched.

e: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun as well.

Fix fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 22, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Digirat posted:

Your choices can lead to three different endings which are each 20 minutes long, take place in different playable locations, and have massively different outcomes for the characters. They're all also extremely well-presented, where the worst ending isn't a throwaway thing but is just as much of a capstone to the game as any of the others. Every part of the epilogue can also change, and this is just the ending. There's a huge number of choices both large and small with visible consequences throughout the game that aren't tied to the ending, such as the fate of the baron and who goes to kaer mohren with you. If those aren't "choices that matter" then what loving is?

Pfft. For choices to really matter they should shift narrative and gameplay genres. Let me know when saving the barons wife turns the game into an RTS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't even know Cities Skylines was on console. I believe I now have a reason to resub to Plus.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn't even know Cities Skylines was on console. I believe I now have a reason to resub to Plus.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest they were Plus games, just that they are releasing on PS4 in August.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

:smug:

(Jesus that's about a year straight of gameplay)

Where can you see this? I didn't know they tracked your game hours

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also Wolfenstein The New Order had a pretty hefty choice at the start, giving you different story beats and different characters

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In Obsidian action spy rpg Alpha Protocol, based on your actions some characters can be your girlfriend, a conpanion, or a enemy or even a boss fight. The relations with many characters can change completelly. It had true choices.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tei posted:

In Obsidian action spy rpg Alpha Protocol, based on your actions some characters can be your girlfriend, a conpanion, or a enemy or even a boss fight. The relations with many characters can change completelly. It had true choices.

I'd buy Alpha Protocol on PS4 (got it on PC) because of Heck. Heck owns.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Horn posted:

If I get the HDR video is playing pop up does that mean it's working or is that a red herring? H:ZD looks really nice on my 65" ks8000 but I'm not blown away by it like others are.

You still manually need to change the settings. They've yet to fix this bug.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Fix posted:

Looks like we're getting both Cities: Skylines and Pillars of Eternity in August. I never played them on PC, so I'm pretty psyched.

e: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun as well.

I hope Shadow Tactics controls well with a controller. I'm excited for the game because it looks like Commandos, a series I really enjoy, but my laptop can't handle modern AA titles.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think I asked this once before back when the Pro was announced, but: if I'm considering purchasing a PS4, and I don't have a 4K-capable TV and probably wouldn't notice a difference either way, is it worth paying an extra $100 for a Pro or should I just get a Slim?

The primary thing I'm worried about happening is that every game that comes out in a year or two is gonna be optimized for Pro's better processor and GPU, and a Slim will chug like an Xbox 360 trying to run Shadow of Mordor. Is that a likely scenario or is it overkill?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

loquacius posted:

I think I asked this once before back when the Pro was announced, but: if I'm considering purchasing a PS4, and I don't have a 4K-capable TV and probably wouldn't notice a difference either way, is it worth paying an extra $100 for a Pro or should I just get a Slim?

The primary thing I'm worried about happening is that every game that comes out in a year or two is gonna be optimized for Pro's better processor and GPU, and a Slim will chug like an Xbox 360 trying to run Shadow of Mordor. Is that a likely scenario or is it overkill?

Just spend the extra $100 and get the better model, otherwise you'll just spend your time owning the Slim idly wondering if you should upgrade at some point because of one game or other.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Despite their advertising 4K is the least consequential thing the Pro does better I think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestheHammer posted:

And there was nothing there, and you wondered why you bothered.

I've been doing that since Oblivion, but the playdoh mountain was pretty cool at the time.

quote:

Witcher 2 has at least one really important choice that obviously matters a whole lot.

Witcher 2 is also cool because you can get to the guy you've been chasing the whole game but instead of killing him just talk it out then leave.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 22, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Despite their advertising 4K is the least consequential thing the Pro does better I think.

This. HDR is available on all models. The Pro is quieter and doesn't run as hot and experiences better load times in some games and you can also access the fan without voiding the warranty. It's little QOL stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Morby posted:

This. HDR is available on all models. The Pro is quieter and doesn't run as hot and experiences better load times in some games and you can also access the fan without voiding the warranty. It's little QOL stuff.

Compared to launch models. Slim is the cooler and quieter model now

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
If the OG PS4 is running loud. Chances are that it's already past the 2 year warranty period. So you might as well open it up and dust it off.

If you are still in warranty. Don't do it though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

How bad is this new Valkyria game coming out next week?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was okay until enough people complained it wasn't like the original games and Sega added a bunch of stuff that didn't work with the systems they already had and ended up pleasing nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Morby posted:

Optical port and SSD support are also pretty cool, but won't matter for most people. Cool for us with old sound systems where HDMI audio extractor can't handle more than 4Kp30, though.