Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
2lbx10 and 2 mediums is what i run on my iic. But that was a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Commoners posted:

The K-9 is a horrific death machine. 5 MPL seemed like the optimal choice, but 5ML, STD 180, and 14 heat sinks is a loving death machine. Being able to deadside with an urbanmech is horrific, and even if you lose both sides you can still blast people with your two CT lasers.

how did you fit so many heat sinks?

also can someone choose a clan faction for WoL this time?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 21, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He means 14 total, counting the 7 you get build into the 180 engine.

In other news, Competitive Mode does not reward any C-Bills. Hey, guys! Here's this great new game mode with zero incentive to play it. Have fun!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Skippy McPants posted:

In other news, Competitive Mode does not reward any C-Bills. Hey, guys! Here's this great new game mode with zero incentive to play it. Have fun!

lol

im kinda tempted to bind the K9 sirens to my left click

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 21, 2017

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I got accused of pay2win in an urbanmech.

Feelsgoodman.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
The thing that pisses me off most about this patch is that it cleared out my 10x map multiplier.

Also hey, if we have someone who could set our WoL faction tonight before the end of the scouting event, I'm two wins away from the war horn...

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 21, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't have a problem with this, you play competitive because it is fun/a chance to get to go to Mech_Con. In fact I like it better without any rewards, makes it so that only the most competitive people sign up.

Do you guys think that we will be able to get 8 people that want to play? It seems kinda a stretch to be honest. I want to do it but since I'm EU I would probably need to be one of the "alternate" members" so we need at least 9 total.

quote:

• Team Rosters are limited to a maximum of 12 members.
• To participate in Competitive Play, Teams must be comprised of at least 8 members.
• Teams must have at least 7 Primary Members (aside from the Captain), and can have no more than 4 Alternate Members. The Captain counts as a Primary.

Edit: Consumables in comp mode are not consumed:
May as well also clarify at the same time that using Consumables in a Comp Match does not 'consume' that item from your inventory, nor does it charge you for it. https://en.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/6ihkt1/competitive_queue_what_is_the_max_number_of/dj6d4f3/

Eeeh, really, that's kinda bad because that means we'll see like 16 airstrikes per game or everyone packing double coolshots.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 21, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

I don't have a problem with this, you play competitive because it is fun/a chance to get to go to Mech_Con. In fact I like it better without any rewards, makes it so that only the most competitive people sign up.

But see, the problem with that is most people know they won't get a ticket to Mech Con, so they have no reason to play Comp over QM so... they don't.

You need match incentives to encourage the average player otherwise there aren't enough people to stock the queue and then nobody gets to play. Which is exactly what's happening. Since the system went up, there have been a grand total of 6 Comp games and 4 out of those 6 were just EmP clowning on people.

TjyvTompa posted:

Eeeh, really, that's kinda bad because that means we'll see like 16 airstrikes per game or everyone packing double coolshots.

Yeah, if you watch any of the MRBC vods that's pretty much how things go. The first four of five minutes of a match is both teams hiding behind cover and dropping a double dozen airstrikes on the other side.

It's real dumb.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 21, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Commoners posted:

The K-9 is a horrific death machine. 5 MPL seemed like the optimal choice, but 5ML, STD 180, and 14 heat sinks is a loving death machine. Being able to deadside with an urbanmech is horrific, and even if you lose both sides you can still blast people with your two CT lasers.

I like your idea and I'm stealing it.

It's... beautiful. Can't wait to spend some time in it this weekend.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 21, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I would play comp but I'm not in WoL and without divisions it's just going to be going up against EmP, SJR, etc.

Having it set up with no consumable costs but no payouts is the smart play, actually. Having a billion airstrikes per team is the meta right now because it's infinite range 0 ton 0 slot heatless damage, and a fuckton of damage at that. It's going to be the meta whether or not it costs money, and the best teams are going to do it regardless of how much it costs them. Making consumables cost money is only going to disadvantage teams that are already probably not that great because they are in a position where they have to care about money.

Skippy McPants posted:

You need match incentives to encourage the average player otherwise there aren't enough people to stock the queue and then nobody gets to play. Which is exactly what's happening. Since the system went up, there have been a grand total of 6 Comp games and 4 out of those 6 were just EmP clowning on people.

I really hope the competitive queue goes well because even though I will probably never play in it unless they add 1v1s, I want EmP out of the group queue. We had the pleasure of playing against them for a game earlier tonight where they played it like it was comp, a billion airstrikes going off, absolute slaughter in minutes, failure cascaded the four man we had going on in mumble.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 21, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah running into EMP's smug "#1 MWO team" greeting followed by running face first into poptarts is probably one of the most unfun things in this game. I just go play other games when I start to run into them a lot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey Commoners, can you get us on a contract for the CW challenge later today?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I did the patch, let's shoot robit

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I'm in the mumble but I need more beer to play this game. But I'm down for robot

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
I see a big sale coming up, is there anything really good for a new player in there? Resistance 1 mech deal worth it? A good mc pack+mech? Any of the credits/mechs for MC sales must have mechs?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Why do they even have that many variants in those packs? The only thing, imo, that is appealing about those packs are the color unlocks.

Edit:

Which Crab variant should I pickup?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 22, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If I want to completely waste some Cbills on a stupid, worthless, garbage mech, how do y'all feel about the Ice Ferret?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Any goons running faction invasions for tonight's mission?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sterling_Archer posted:

I see a big sale coming up, is there anything really good for a new player in there? Resistance 1 mech deal worth it? A good mc pack+mech? Any of the credits/mechs for MC sales must have mechs?

NOpe. Nothing there is all that exceptional.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

If I want to completely waste some Cbills on a stupid, worthless, garbage mech, how do y'all feel about the Ice Ferret?

Well it is probably better than the Vindicator.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Artificer posted:

Well it is probably better than the Vindicator.

So... I should get a vindicator then...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Agrajag posted:

Why do they even have that many variants in those packs? The only thing, imo, that is appealing about those packs are the color unlocks.

Edit:

Which Crab variant should I pickup?

They're all pretty solid but I think the 27B is the go-to still. Don't quote me on that though.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Cyrano4747 posted:

NOpe. Nothing there is all that exceptional.

I was considering buying the Grasshopper 5h(c) and the Urbanmech R60 during the sale. Worth?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

CRB-27B still best crab. Fill it with MPLs and a 250 standard, take the survival and firepower trees then go hurt people. Very precisely.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sterling_Archer posted:

I was considering buying the Grasshopper 5h(c) and the Urbanmech R60 during the sale. Worth?

Don't spend real money on champion mechs. They're pointless.

Some of the chill mechs are good and discounted. I was mostly speaking towards the real money aspect. That urbie is good, although with the patch others may now be better.

The grasshoppers are fine but I personally don't care for them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

It's a tall fat, fast box that can't mount any decent weapons in spite of being Clantech.

It's a `Mech that should have all the advantages but shoveled all of its potential straight into the incinerator fusion reactor.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a tall fat, fast box that can't mount any decent weapons in spite of being Clantech.

It's a `Mech that should have all the advantages but shoveled all of its potential straight into the incinerator fusion reactor.

It got a considerable bump with the skill tree and mobility changes, enough to make it pretty okay.

Unfortunately, the cSPL nerf puts it right back in the dumpster, as it doesn't have enough hardpoints or tonnage to deal damage with anything else. So if you're looking for a garbage mech, it's a good pick!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

New sale and...stuff?

https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/06/1846-summer-blast-rheroes-leaderboard-smoking-deals

Edit: Any cbill sale mechs that are standouts? I've got a MX90 and a Grasshopper of some sort already as well as an Urbie.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah it's pretty lame. It probably buy a cheapish wolfhound but that's just because it was my favorite light in middle school and I've got more cbills than sense right now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah it's pretty lame. It probably buy a cheapish wolfhound but that's just because it was my favorite light in middle school and I've got more cbills than sense right now.

I liked the Wolfhound for a little bit in MW4 but it isn't spectacular enough for me to shell out for it at the moment, nor did I play it in MW4 enough for me to care about it enough to buy it at the moment, I think.

Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/6ioea1/the_comp_queue_is_in_the_communitys_hands/

I can't believe that these people's heads have swelled to this size.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Artificer posted:

I liked the Wolfhound for a little bit in MW4 but it isn't spectacular enough for me to shell out for it at the moment, nor did I play it in MW4 enough for me to care about it enough to buy it at the moment, I think.

Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/6ioea1/the_comp_queue_is_in_the_communitys_hands/

Lol goddam what tools.

Also yeah when I say I'm doing it because why not, I'm sitting on 120m cbills and something like 10 bay slots. It's basically just Pokémon at this point and like I said nostalgia for my dice rolling days.

Edit lol autocorrect throws the accent on Pokémon.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol goddam what tools.

Also yeah when I say I'm doing it because why not, I'm sitting on 120m cbills and something like 10 bay slots. It's basically just Pokémon at this point and like I said nostalgia for my dice rolling days.

Edit lol autocorrect throws the accent on Pokémon.

I have a fondness for the Wolfhound thanks to starting out with one once in MW4: Mercs.

Anyone got recommendations for the cbill variants of the Wolfhound and how to spec it out?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

CRB-27B still best crab. Fill it with MPLs and a 250 standard, take the survival and firepower trees then go hurt people. Very precisely.

This basically, or the CRB-27SL if you're like me and insist on taking at least one jump jet.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

New sale and...stuff?

https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/06/1846-summer-blast-rheroes-leaderboard-smoking-deals

Edit: Any cbill sale mechs that are standouts? I've got a MX90 and a Grasshopper of some sort already as well as an Urbie.

The Zeus 5S is like an even tougher Victor that deadsides instead of poptarting. I run it with Gauss and 3 large lasers, but you can do the PPFLD build if you prefer.

It used to be the worst variant because it had awful offensive quirks, but now it's the best because those got nerfed for èverybody while it kept its doubled structure bonuses.

For the Wolfhound, there's a bunch of nearly identical builds with medium and medium pulse lasers, and I don't think any of them are good - it's too tall and jumpjet-less to play skirmisher. What i do like is the 3x ERLL build on the -2, it has -15% heat gen and decent mounts, but mostly it's the variant that gets a CBill bonus so racking up a consistent 700 damage nets a lot of cash even if you have to be good not to spread it all over.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 22, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

Also:

What is the problem? If you are going to join a competitive queue you better be ready for some hard opposition. Complaining about EmP being too good or something is just bad form, it's not their fault they are better than most other teams.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

It sounds horrible, I love it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

TjyvTompa posted:

What is the problem? If you are going to join a competitive queue you better be ready for some hard opposition. Complaining about EmP being too good or something is just bad form, it's not their fault they are better than most other teams.

I think it's about how they're acting like the LeBron James of this video game

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
He's mostly right in the stuff he's saying, it's just that he's a douche. Most of the other EMP guys are okay and socialized human beings, but heimdelight is that occasional person you get who has a super ego and can't help but come off as an asshat the moment he touches a keyboard or opens his mouth.

Biggest problem is that MWO's community is so small that most people who play this don't have the time to set aside to practice being good at the game, and the comp scene is going to be dwarfed by the fact that you can only have a roster of 12 people, and eight of them have to be online at once and ready to play to be able to queue in to a 10 minute queue.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 22, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

You do realize at least some of that team have actually aimbotted before, and it royally pisses them off when you call them and other comp teams Team Helios?

I mean, it's not as blatant as EVIL or 228, but it does happen.

That being said, lol @ playing comp in this dumpster fire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I remember playing with goons (we were all dead and spectating) watching an arctic cheetah with a gauss rifle blatantly aimbotting his way to victory while his comp teammates were unironically congratulating him.

Basically lol if you think the comp scene in MWO isn't more bent than a sack of defective nails.

• Locked thread