Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

goose willis posted:

Is there a reason why vanilla marines can do the combat squads thing while the Chaos marines (who generally have no loving organization to speak of) are somehow unable to split up into five-man squads

Are you asking why a doctrinal force can be more organized than a disloyal, ego-driven group of heretics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
It doesn't seem as much an organizational thing with them as much as "I like these brothers more than these other brothers and I can fight with them because we are a close knit group"

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
When making PL lists, my friends and I tend to just knock off upgrades until our points are more or less in line but without worrying about all the infinitesimal minutiae: "This squad of Acolytes has no flamers anymore, and this other one doesn't have mining drills; so we're both around 1600." It's worked well so far.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

When making PL lists, my friends and I tend to just knock off upgrades until our points are more or less in line but without worrying about all the infinitesimal minutiae: "This squad of Acolytes has no flamers anymore, and this other one doesn't have mining drills; so we're both around 1600." It's worked well so far.

This seems worse than just using points or just using PL, but you should ham however you want to ham.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The worse thing about power level... the very VERY worse thing about power level... is that they made normal points so goddamn awful to figure out to push it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Someone earlier made the best argument I've heard yet for power levels. Wysywig.

In a perfect world, if you played power levels, you'd have to play 100% wysywig. Would make pickup games at local stores very straightforward.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Yeast posted:

Someone earlier made the best argument I've heard yet for power levels. Wysywig.

In a perfect world, if you played power levels, you'd have to play 100% wysywig. Would make pickup games at local stores very straightforward.

100% behind this.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

The worse thing about power level... the very VERY worse thing about power level... is that they made normal points so goddamn awful to figure out to push it.

The problem isn't how they do the points, it's how the indices are organized. If you didn't have to flip around constantly to write a list it wouldn't be nearly as painful. For that matter, just playing a game as Blood Angels with the Space Marine index is terrible because there are like 4 completely separate parts of the book I have to look through depending on which specific model I'm trying to look up.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Are they only five points now? I haven't been keeping up with the changes and obviously at the 15 points they used to be they were effectively hot garbage

5pts, +1 LD for nearby units. Comd squads can take them, scion comd squads can take ones which only affect 'militarum tempestus' units. Not breaking the bank obviously, but you don't need to take a comd squad for your officers now. This makes them a bit pointless. Why pay 30pts for models +10 for a vox and a standard, when you could just get another company commander?

I agree they're cool and I painted one for my regiment as I'm sure many other players have. But the unit is a small unnecessary tax, I wouldn't expect to see many people taking them.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Fluff-wise, how have Ork-Tyranid conflicts gone? Seems to me like they'd be never-ending and that pushing a huge number of Orks in the path of Tyranids would be a great way to keep a hive fleet away

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
It's not an excuse for the bad layout but building lists by hand is way easier if you run off a copy (from your epub or with a copy machine from your book) of the points page, and then have that open while going through the datasheets.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

It's not an excuse for the bad layout but building lists by hand is way easier if you run off a copy (from your epub or with a copy machine from your book) of the points page, and then have that open while going through the datasheets.

Battlescribe has everything I need now aside from Forgeworld. Doesn't change the fact that the space marine index at least is a horror show.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Yeast posted:

WYSIWYG is the only way to play imho

Sorry I mean

MY IMMERSIIOOONNNN :qq:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goose willis posted:

Fluff-wise, how have Ork-Tyranid conflicts gone? Seems to me like they'd be never-ending and that pushing a huge number of Orks in the path of Tyranids would be a great way to keep a hive fleet away

A god-drat meat grinder, presumably, since they can very easily fight each other to a stalemate.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Fluff-wise, how have Ork-Tyranid conflicts gone?

Mysteriously disappeared in favor of Space Marines story focus :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

The problem isn't how they do the points, it's how the indices are organized. If you didn't have to flip around constantly to write a list it wouldn't be nearly as painful. For that matter, just playing a game as Blood Angels with the Space Marine index is terrible because there are like 4 completely separate parts of the book I have to look through depending on which specific model I'm trying to look up.
I starred every generic marine unit I can take as Dark Angels while I was writing in the points values. The indices have a terrible layout, but it is workable with a bit of editing.

I really hope GW will listen to feedback on this. I shouldn't have to reorganize their work to make it properly readable.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

goose willis posted:

Someone diverted a Waaagh! into a Hive Fleet, and all they got was a HF with more biomass and Orks that are even bigger from more fighting.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Yeast posted:

I'll be honest I'm more inclined towards power levels because my GSC guys have a ton of hand flamers and they cost almost double the points they used to and I'm not gonna chop up arms

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A god-drat meat grinder, presumably, since they can very easily fight each other to a stalemate.

I bet the Orks don't destroy the Tyranid spawning areas because they've worked out that is where Tyranids come from.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I haven't looked at Games Workshop prices in a while because I mostly get my material off eBay sales but uh

Sisters of Silence are 80 dollars for ten plastic figurines? That used to be for like a mega battle force back in the day or some poo poo

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Even if you are a casual player don't you still dislike getting stomped? I am not arguing that either power or points does a better job at balancing things cause they were both created by GW, which are normally pretty bad at balance. If you and your friends just dump WYSIWYG armies on the table without any thought of balance isn't there a decent chance one army will be at meaningful disadvantage? I consider myself casual because I am not interested in getting a advantage over my opponent in list building, I prefer two equal armies to meet and to let the dice gods choose who shall be victorious. While I haven't played enough 8th to know this, I imagine neither points nor power will be a decent way to actually balance a game and I will have to do what I did in 7th, just play enough to get a good feel for things and figure it out myself.

That being said I think its super cool that we have essentially two metas and what will be balanced in them will be different. It will add even more variety to games, which I like.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

goose willis posted:

I haven't looked at Games Workshop prices in a while because I mostly get my material off eBay sales but uh

Sisters of Silence are 80 dollars for ten plastic figurines? That used to be for like a mega battle force back in the day or some poo poo

I was going to say you might be looking at australian dollarydoos, but I just looked them up on the US website and welp lol

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The models aren't even that cool and basically look like battle sisters with punk hairdos

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I kind of hate the sisters of silence models, but I love the sisters of battle models.

Why didn't they just make plastic SoBs >:(

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I've wondered for years why they don't just make plastic SOB's, I bet they would sell like hot cakes.

I like the sisters of silence, but I hate the heads

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Black_Nexus posted:

I've wondered for years why they don't just make plastic SOB's, I bet they would sell like hot cakes.

I like the sisters of silence, but I hate the heads

I think they would probably sell like any of the second string lines that have good models. The lack of sweet Chaos plastics is another head scratcher.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
I usually can't stand these guys but I think his criticisms of 8th so far are pretty spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJjRSHR4S9Q&t=1107s

edit: I put him on x2 speed because he triggers me, but now he sounds even more like a squeaky, whiny manchild. :negative:

edit2: lol "I've been married to my wife for 12 years, she's not perfect, there are things I could complain about her. I've got four kids, they drive me nuts, I love them though." - an adult drawing a comparison with a doll game.

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 22, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The only way you're ever gonna see plastic battle sisters is if another company starts mass-producing enough of them to get Games Workshop's legal team on the case and they suddenly feel "compelled" to trademark and produce their very own Sororitas of B'attle

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

:toxx: ban me if I put a Veteran Tactical Squad in my army lists or use the Sacrificial Offering Rite of War for the rest of the year :toxx:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Can Pask give orders to himself?

E:as written he definitely can, but I'm not sure if that was geedubs intent.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Pask is just psyching himself up. Shoot them Xenos!!

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Why did GW provide rules for rolling a D3 to determine a warlord trait when the same paragraph says you can just pick whichever one you want?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Because if you wanna prove you're a True DOOM-MURDERHEAD you'll roll on the table.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Why did GW provide rules for rolling a D3 to determine a warlord trait when the same paragraph says you can just pick whichever one you want?

Same as it works in AoS, along with the tables for Artifacts/Spells/w-e. Some players prefer rolling for them, apparently.

We don't play with those people.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

For weapons that do multiple hits with variable damage, do you roll the damage for each hit, or for the entire volley?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You roll the damage for each wound separately

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So a kinda hilarious thing me and my friends came up with

A 185 point vanguard detachment consisting of 1 company commander and 6 platoon commanders, all with power axes and laspistols. You get guys with 3-4 wounds, 3 attacks, and a 5+ invuln save that hit on 3+, and if they're ever in combat during their shooting phase they can all give themselves Fix Bayonets and immediately make 3 attacks each

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Cross-posting my pink Ham-bois.

Just a few quick photos of the 4 chosen I've finished for my new Emperors Children army. Sorry for the poo poo quality photos, currently waiting on new phone. These pictures don't do the pink justice. It's supposed to be Vallejo Game Color - Squid Pink

The shading is pretty heavy handed, and this is my first go at models this detailed, but I think they came out alright. :shobon:

Still trying to get the process down, and watching a ton of videos. Gonna invest in an airbrush sometime soon and a few new detail brushes so highlights don't end up being so big and messy.

Wanted to go more :sparkles: Emperor's Children. While i was painting a few of these at my FLGS, a few people commented they liked them, but could never bring themselves to field a pink army, thus giving me more confidence that this was the correct decision. Going to do the bases with flowers as well. (Thanks whomever posted the flower links earlier!) Also, here is my terminator sorcerer with a female human head.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

chutche2 posted:

So a kinda hilarious thing me and my friends came up with

A 185 point vanguard detachment consisting of 1 company commander and 6 platoon commanders, all with power axes and laspistols. You get guys with 3-4 wounds, 3 attacks, and a 5+ invuln save that hit on 3+, and if they're ever in combat during their shooting phase they can all give themselves Fix Bayonets and immediately make 3 attacks each

I think Guard are the faction that will have the most fun with the indexes making broken weird stuff before the Codex re-organises them all properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I wish I was insane enough to make a 1000 pt Guard army that is just 300 conscripts, 3 company commanders, and 6 scout sentinels with autocannons.