Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I'm re-reading it too, and I'm reallllly dreading... that part. Like, I remember being a little weirded out as a young teen, despite not totally understanding WHY it was so awful. Now I'm cringing like I just said an embarrassing thing in public about words that will soon enter my private thoughts. Because it gets mentioned in every online mention of King ever, forever.

I forgot how the story was structured, though. I really like the present/past/INTERLUDE thing. Works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I'm re-reading it too, and I'm reallllly dreading... that part. Like, I remember being a little weirded out as a young teen, despite not totally understanding WHY it was so awful. Now I'm cringing like I just said an embarrassing thing in public about words that will soon enter my private thoughts. Because it gets mentioned in every online mention of King ever, forever.

I forgot how the story was structured, though. I really like the present/past/INTERLUDE thing. Works really well.

yeah pretty much i remembered it being bad, and then re reading was like.. poo poo, this is a good book except for occasionally.. wait what the gently caress is this. :gonk:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Stephen King: IT was great except for THAT part

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Stephen King: The Clown isn't the most disturbing part of IT

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you're into collecting King first editions, Cemetery Dance is down to less than 100 copies of the first printing of Gwendy's Button Box. This is the rare situation where the first printing of a modern King novel is actually going to be worth something since CD print runs are small and they're already queuing up the third printing.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I just read Joe Hill's "my father's mask" and I can't shake it at all. Is anything else he's written, even a short story, remotely in the same league?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I just read Joe Hill's "my father's mask" and I can't shake it at all. Is anything else he's written, even a short story, remotely in the same league?

I think Best New Horror and Pop Art are good stories in 20th Century Ghost, and I think Locke & Key is the best thing he's done, and one of the best comic series in the past 10 years.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I think Best New Horror and Pop Art are good stories in 20th Century Ghost, and I think Locke & Key is the best thing he's done, and one of the best comic series in the past 10 years.

Best New Horror is really good

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pop Art is so bittersweet. It's my favorite.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Nos4atu was really really good. It reminded me of old King.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hey what's up I've never posted in this thread before but I read it a ton and the combo of you all talking about it/the movie coming out later this year finally got me to sit down and read "IT." I'm halfway through and, so far, I loving love it. The characters are amazing, and King's prose has never been better. It's the kind of book I relish reading, and just want to live in the universe a little longer (ya know, child-murdering clowns notwithstanding). Honestly, I think this could end up being one of my favorite novels, and yeah, I know the thing that happens at the end of the book. I think the scariest scene I've read thus far is the one I just finished, with Pennywise taunting adult Ben in the library. Really freaked me out. I also really love the structure of the book. It feels like a huge collection of interconnected short stories, which I think helps with the length of it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Hey what's up I've never posted in this thread before but I read it a ton and the combo of you all talking about it/the movie coming out later this year finally got me to sit down and read "IT." I'm halfway through and, so far, I loving love it. The characters are amazing, and King's prose has never been better. It's the kind of book I relish reading, and just want to live in the universe a little longer (ya know, child-murdering clowns notwithstanding). Honestly, I think this could end up being one of my favorite novels, and yeah, I know the thing that happens at the end of the book. I think the scariest scene I've read thus far is the one I just finished, with Pennywise taunting adult Ben in the library. Really freaked me out. I also really love the structure of the book. It feels like a huge collection of interconnected short stories, which I think helps with the length of it.

the thing that happens at the end of the book doesnt play too bad in context. try to forget about it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
IT is a huge gently caress you to depraved insane negligent adults, from a baby boomer

The end is actually the entire town being destroyed by that water tower afaiac*

Biblical flood, skadoosh

*it comes back :ohdear:

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

syscall girl posted:

IT is a huge gently caress you to depraved insane negligent adults, from a baby boomer

The end is actually the entire town being destroyed by that water tower afaiac*

Biblical flood, skadoosh

*it comes back :ohdear:

Probably worth putting that in spoiler tags?

Just finished it myself - I was dreading "that scene" throughout but otherwise loved it. I'd seen the old movie (or parts of it) when I was a kid but I wasn't prepared for the creepy gross leper. I think a big part of the scary/creepy for me was the way It makes people just not give a poo poo and not get involved like when Bev is getting chased by her dad toward the end .

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If I had one nitpick about The Shining it'd be the animals coming to "life" life and attacking. It was so insanely creepy when they only moved when you weren't looking and having an old man fighting one with a gas can was kinda off. But besides that it was fantastic and I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'll spoiler my post if you don't quote it in its entirety, seems only fair

Also, book old

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Man, the trailer for that The Mist series looks so bad. It's a shame. I was sorta looking forward to it.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
can't wait to see what epic new twist ending they come up for the new The Mist

ok just to finish up I finally watched the last episode of Nightmares and Dreamscapes the one with Rock and Roll Heaven. I liked the story and the TV episode was good too I thought. another appearance of the guy from Wings

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
There better be actual monsters in The Mist. I don't care about people imagining monsters. I don't want the monster to be "man" I want dang monsters.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

can't wait to see what epic new twist ending they come up for the new The Mist

ok just to finish up I finally watched the last episode of Nightmares and Dreamscapes the one with Rock and Roll Heaven. I liked the story and the TV episode was good too I thought. another appearance of the guy from Wings

(Steven Weber)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I just finished THE TROOP. It wasn't bad, though I think the one character who's a literal psychopath was probably a bit of overkill. It doesn't need that extra antagonist, though I think I would've preferred it if was a little more subtle with that part.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Still on my reread of IT and I forgot, or just never noticed, how so much about Beverly deals with sexuality. We hear about her panties, how she wants to hold Bills ballsack in her hands and how she takes such a deep breath it literally pops her shirt buttons off and her breasts pop out.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Still on my reread of IT and I forgot, or just never noticed, how so much about Beverly deals with sexuality. We hear about her panties, how she wants to hold Bills ballsack in her hands and how she takes such a deep breath it literally pops her shirt buttons off and her breasts pop out.

King reallly shouldn't write about anything sexual. Even scenes with two consenting adults comes across as creepy. Or you get poo poo like Leland Gaunt telling a woman to "gobble [his] crank".

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Sorry for the repeat question (I've been away and can't be bothered hunting it down)

Are any of the stories in "Full dark no stars" any good?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

dirksteadfast posted:

King reallly shouldn't write about anything sexual. Even scenes with two consenting adults comes across as creepy. Or you get poo poo like Leland Gaunt telling a woman to "gobble [his] crank".

It's not a Stephen King book unless there's 2-3 "sexy" paragraphs that make you feel embarrassed for reading it though

In The Dark Tower multiverse section where poo poo's running together there should have been a monstrous dildo flying through the air or something

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

504 posted:

Sorry for the repeat question (I've been away and can't be bothered hunting it down)

Are any of the stories in "Full dark no stars" any good?

I remember finishing it and thinking that they were all pretty vicious for later King. At least two of them feel like something he would've written around pet sematary. The feeling from reading them stuck with me but I didn't have any urge to go reread them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

I remember finishing it and thinking that they were all pretty vicious for later King. At least two of them feel like something he would've written around pet sematary. The feeling from reading them stuck with me but I didn't have any urge to go reread them.

I was afraid to.

1922 was pretty darn good but ugly. Big Driver was not as good and directly referenced the movie he was ripping off but you can imagine the protagonist as Helen Hunt Jodie Foster if you like.

The one about meeting the devil and being offered a deal was definitely that kind of story and done pretty well I guess.

And the other one was well, possibly his biography

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Full Dark, No Stars is great. 1922 is one of my favorite things that King has written. There's some gruesome imagery in that one that really stuck with me. Love it.

Of the four stories, Big Driver is probably the weakest. Not really bad, though.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

dirksteadfast posted:

"FELLATE me!"

King is the king of Poundcake.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Fair Extension is now my favorite deal-with-the-devil story. Really pulls no punches about people’s capacity for cruelty through indifference.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Blastedhellscape posted:

Fair Extension is now my favorite deal-with-the-devil story. Really pulls no punches about people’s capacity for cruelty through indifference.

Yeah, that's the one I kept thinking about. It was his first story in a long time that just left me feeling lovely. (I mean, in the way he meant for it to.)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Blastedhellscape posted:

It was a great turn seeing a 'deal with the devil' story where there's no remorse, or regret, no scramble of "oh what have I done!" wanting to undo it. Just a petty dude loving over someone and taking silent joy in it despite how bad it got.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Blastedhellscape posted:

Just finished that story. Very enjoyable.. what an rear end in a top hat!

Are there any short story books amount his newer stuff with a twist? In the style of Skeleton Crew?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just finished IT.....amazing....

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Just finished IT.....amazing....

Elaborate.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

*Conrad_Birdie writes 20 paragraphs raving about the symbolism of the sewers orgy scene*

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I'm almost done with IT, been reading it slowly over the last few months.

I have never dreaded a part of a book more than this gang bang in a sewer scene I know is coming up. And not because I'm worried it's scary, but because everyone always collectively cringes whenever it's brought up.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm almost done with IT, been reading it slowly over the last few months.

I have never dreaded a part of a book more than this gang bang in a sewer scene I know is coming up. And not because I'm worried it's scary, but because everyone always collectively cringes whenever it's brought up.

Ben has a big dick because he's fat

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Spoilers goddamnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In spite of all of its many flaws IT has some of the best backstory I've ever read.

The prohibition era shootout (Pennywise page2snypa) the Air Force base non-com bar fire feat. Halloran, the insane bit about loggers and union busting, the initial flare up involving a gay couple getting the full clown treatment

All those were so metal it defies belief that we all have to focus on King's odd treatment of Bev (because obviously it's really hosed up)