Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Elotana posted:

If this were true Pelosi wouldn't have had neutral favorables in 2005, or only-slightly-negative favorables in 2009.

on a national level, everybody hates every member of congress that does not represent them. im going to assume every member of congress has either "negative" or "who the gently caress is that" percentages of favorability among national voters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

HerzogZwo posted:

Dear leader is speaking in Des Moines, live feeds available.

He still thinks he's running for the Presidency.

Well he kind of is, he already registered to run in 2020.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

skylined! posted:

who do you suggest replace her?
I have no idea. I would say the most important consideration is whoever can come closest to replicating her whip skills but that's not the kind of thing I'd know. As I said, I have no problem with her parliamentary chops. I have a problem with her being a very obvious electoral drag and everyone here pretending that she's secretly a non-factor and only fake polls or Republican chaos agents would suggest otherwise.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 22, 2017

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Craig K posted:

on a national level, everybody hates every member of congress that does not represent them. im going to assume every member of congress has either "negative" or "who the gently caress is that" percentages of favorability among national voters
Yes and my point is that over time, "who the gently caress" shifts to "negative" and we need to get back to "who the gently caress."

I do not think this is a particularly subtle or complex point but I guess everyone is too red-assed to read.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Right the fact that one of the largest prescription service cannot negotiate prices probably has something to do with it.

medi-cal, for example, has around 13 million members,

They cannot use this purchasing power to drive down costs because of um

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Elotana posted:

I have no idea. I would say the most important consideration is whoever can come closest to replicating her whip skills but that's not the kind of thing I'd know. As I said, I have no problem with her parliamentary chops. I have a problem with her being a very obvious electoral drag and everyone here pretending that she's secretly a non-factor and only fake polls or Republican chaos agent would suggest otherwise.

welp forgive me for pointing this out then but if you don't have a solution stop jerking off over the problem

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

skylined! posted:

welp forgive me for pointing this out then but if you don't have a solution stop jerking off over the problem
No actually I think I'll keep posting until such time as the mods (MODS? MODS?!?!) require criticism of political figures to be accompanied with detailed recommendations as to a preferred alternative.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FizFashizzle posted:

medi-cal, for example, has around 13 million members,

They cannot use this purchasing power to drive down costs because of um

41 Million people are part of Medicare Part D

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Basically the GOP screamed "PELOSI!" at Ossoff so obviously that's 100% of the reason why he lost

Look if the ghost of Reagan appeared and said he liked the look of that Ossoff fellow, the GOP would say "Fake ghost!" "Liberal necromancers have ensorcelled the great one!" "I never really liked him anyway, he did an immigration amnesty!"

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

skylined! posted:

who do you suggest replace her?

rhymes with Journey Ganders

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

41 Million people are part of Medicare Part D

It's the most blatantly obvious example of bought out legislators

it could lower healthcare costs by billion tomorrow.

but nah.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I will remind everyone that Elotanas response to the temporary two dem votes in the vote count for AHCA was " Nancy Pelosi retire bitch. "

What I'm saying is he's a few mountains short of Montana and you should treat anything he posts as such.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Elotana posted:

No actually I think I'll keep posting until such time as the mods (MODS? MODS?!?!) require criticism of political figures to be accompanied with detailed recommendations as to a preferred alternative.

ok but you sound like a baby idiot

also you didn't respond to this so i'll assume you don't have an answer and just want to continue making GBS threads over pelosi because of polls

can you point to a national election that was definitively a referendum on a single sitting congressperson

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

i'm sensing a teased-out joke but can't tell?

topical - really just some amazing stuff coming out of this trump rally thing

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/877684913406963712

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

skylined! posted:

ok but you sound like a baby idiot

also you didn't respond to this so i'll assume you don't have an answer and just want to continue making GBS threads over pelosi because of polls

can you point to a national election that was definitively a referendum on a single sitting congressperson
Obviously such a thing doesn't exist and there are multiple factors in any race. Which would be a solid criticism if I had said "100% of Ossoff losing is due to Pelosi and removing her will cure all of the ills that plague the Democratic Party."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

skylined! posted:

It's a reference to someone you feel

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know enough about what Pelosi brings as a congresswoman to judge her on that front, but I will say that the notion that the GOP would take longer than like a week to build Bernie or Booker or Warren or literally any democrat to get any national name recognition into a comparable boogeyman seems flatly laughable. The GOP has gotten really good at inventing imaginary boogeymen.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Autism Sneaks posted:

like bernie sanders (I-VT)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

skylined! posted:

If the joke is that I'm a Bernie Bro that's gonna be a real knee-slapper to anyone who has posted on this forum prior to 2010

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

It's a reference to someone you feel

am i missing something or is bernie able to be both a member of the senate as well as appointed to house leader

that'd be uh, interesting i guess

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know enough about what Pelosi brings as a congresswoman to judge her on that front, but I will say that the notion that the GOP would take longer than like a week to build Bernie or Booker or Warren or literally any democrat to get any national name recognition into a comparable boogeyman seems flatly laughable. The GOP has gotten really good at inventing imaginary boogeymen.
Look at the NBC poll. It took them years to put real stink on Pelosi. Unless you think they just weren't trying hard the first seven years.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Elotana posted:

Obviously such a thing doesn't exist and there are multiple factors in any race. Which would be a solid criticism if I had said "100% of Ossoff losing is due to Pelosi and removing her will cure all of the ills that plague the Democratic Party."

k

do you have an data anywhere where a sitting congressperson in one district affected any election in another district, beyond national sentiment

if you can provide this i will crown you king of this petty argument

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

skylined! posted:

It's sad that this doesn't matter since most people just seem to get "He's talking at us, wow!" from Trump

Spiritus Nox posted:

I for one can't wait to see Joe Manchin called a pinko

skylined! posted:

am i missing something or is bernie able to be both a member of the senate as well as appointed to house leader

Bernie Blue and Bernie Red. Is there anything stopping an energy clone of someone already in one part of Congress from running for a seat in the other?

(I think a lot of people forget who's in which assembly)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Actually I wonder if there has ever been a minority leader/speaker/senate majority/minority leader that wasn't from one of the main parties? I wish the joementum-signal still worked

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Trump's just getting in those important middle America rallies since in two years' time the only operable runways in that part of the country will be on military bases.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

skylined! posted:

do you have an data anywhere where a sitting congressperson in one district affected any election in another district, beyond national sentiment
I posted one piece of inductive evidence, not a deductive proof. Those don't exist in politics. You're welcome to ignore it and continue believing that Pelosi's favorables have no effect on House races.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

It's sad that this doesn't matter since most people just seem to get "He's talking at us, wow!" from Trump

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/877685620512104449

just

:psypop:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

skylined! posted:

Does he mean corporate farmers or actual farmers?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think Pelosi is an electoral drag, as Elotana said. What does she cost us? Maybe .25 of a percent? It's small, but non-zero. No, I can't prove that any one election was 100% her fault, and the Ossof would have lost anyways.

I ask again - when was the last time a party leader held on as party leader after losing the majority?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Elotana posted:

I posted one piece of inductive evidence, not a deductive proof. Those don't exist in politics. You're welcome to ignore it and continue believing that Pelosi's favorables have no effect on House races.

ok so actually no you can't prove this thing you are asserting

cool

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Elotana posted:

I think, in general, people don't disagree that she's a drag. They're saying that A) anyone would be a drag, and that B) given A, her positives outweigh her negatives.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is the phase of the action movie where the villain has the band of scoundrels on the ropes, so their morale is breaking and they start questioning the leader

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Also, anyone who is saying "hurr durr you're buying into conservative propaganda" but also said essentially anything bad about Clinton during the election is a Bad Person.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

farraday posted:

a few mountains short of Montana

I love how this has become a running gag in D&D.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Elotana posted:

Look at the NBC poll. It took them years to put real stink on Pelosi. Unless you think they just weren't trying hard the first seven years.

Poll looks to me like people didn't know who she was until she became Speaker Of The House/Minority Leader, at which point partisan politics broke down on now predictable lines.

I see nothing at all there to suggest that any democrat to attain a leadership position or national prominence would not endure very similar phenomena.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Does he mean corporate farmers or actual farmers?

i'm thinking sentinels from the matrix?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

skylined! posted:

your william howard taft did it!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

awesmoe posted:

I think, in general, people don't disagree that she's a drag. They're saying that A) anyone would be a drag, and that B) given A, her positives outweigh her negatives.

That's a lot fairer than what most people were saying.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

skylined! posted:

ok so actually no you can't prove this thing you are asserting
No one can "prove" anything in when it comes to causal factors in electoral politics. At most we can make educated guesses based on polls. Which is not 100% reliable but more so than "always do the opposite of what Republicans want, they couldn't possibly grasp reverse psychology."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Is there a German word for when someone correctly identifies at least part of the cause of a problem but implements the worst solution possible?

• Locked thread