Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SMG regularly treats me like the worthless piece of poo poo that I am and for that I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Yes? I do tend to get mad at hypocrisy...??

And again, as I have been repeatedly saying, it's not "that post wasn't that bad" it's more "that post wasn't bad at all, it's not even remotely the worst post you would find in any given hour if you skimmed just a handful of CD posts". The month long probation, okay I disagree with the length but I get him being punished based on the actual content of the post. And hell, he probably would have posted something like that again. He didn't there, not remotely. He posted something that you would see in the majority of CD posts where someone disagreed and said "nah that's dumb". Like all of our posts in this exchange in this thread are more heated with more insults, and I don't think either of us are remotely close to getting probated here. So you may as well set the bar at "he posted, at all" which is why I disagree with it so vehemently.

But yeah, just keep insulting my intelligence over and over and over again. You aren't an infamous enough poster to get punished for it so what the hell, go nuts.

I'm not insulting your intelligence :confused: I think you're taking the tone of my posting much harsher than I'm intending it.

I mean, I'm using dense in the sense that you're not allowing new info in and pushing out the same argument. I'm sure your very intelligent but I also don't think you're actually engaging with my argument.

Like my point is that it wasn't the post alone and even now you're saying" well no one else would have been banned for that post and, yes, that's because he wasn't banned just for the post. It wasn't about the fact he said "get out" it's about he fact that he's had a pattern of being rude and dismissive to an extensive degree, he has been warned about it, he had just been probated a month for it and here was a post, that in a vacuum was not unusual, was him being rude and dismissive. It was a tip of the iceberg situation.

Anyways, he's not even banned anymore so this is all moot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh I'm not dumb I'm just willfully ignorant okay thanks

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
SMG has poo brain but, like, who else is gonna make giant effort posts like the ones in the A:C thread? Who's gonna do that? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? SMG has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Tezzor and you curse the effortposters. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: That Tezzor's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And SMG's existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

Ferrinus posted:

No, he just happened to discuss more recent material. I remember SubG just loving dissolving Star Trek: TNG in acid but because he was doing a sort of meandering retrospective in the general chat thread rather than posting about it in TVIV at the same time it was airing you just didn't get the same kind of brand loyalty/creeping insecurity lurker backlash.

I don't entirely agree--most of the stuff that sets people off (Prometheus, Man of Steel, Zack Snyder in general) is pro. I think it's more people feeling threatened intellectually (what, you're so stupid you didn't realize 300 is a satirical comedy?)

porfiria fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 22, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Guy A. Person posted:

Uhhhh yes??? Did you even fully read mine? Not only did I respond to your points I gave specific evidence in the second half of the drat post. What the hell?

If it's been so consistent for 7 years and it "starts to wear thin" then how come he only had 3 short probations in 2016? That was a drop in probations from previous years. Did he either 1) get better for a year which invalidates your point that he's been doing it consistently or 2) was treated differently for a year which invalidates your point that mods had been treating him consistently?

I didn't go back to "the post he was banned for wasn't even that bad!" but at the bare minimum I would think that the post he was banned for be remotely bad at all. I legitimately do not think the post he was banned for would have even merited a six hour probation - hell even a warning - from any other poster on the subforum, and it's not even close. If you're whole argument is "he was bad and he was warned so he was on extra notice" why not just loving ban him on sight? Why not just permaban him several years ago?

Honestly, I am trying to sincerely figure out what changed that he had inconsistent punishment for a few years, never a probation longer than a week and all of a sudden he gets a week -> a month -> a ban in rapid succession in the first half of 2017 when his probations had previously slowed down the previous year.

But apparently this makes me "willfully dense"? Where the hell do you get off insulting people for engaging in honest discussion at the same time that you're saying other posters are so smug that it warrants booting them from the site?

glam rock hamhock posted:

Okay a few things

First off I think part of the reason it dies down because we get new mods. Clumsy's punishments got more and more severe, then Penismightier liked SMG so he put up with him but now he actually had to deal with the consequences of his behavior, that built over time and punishments got worse and worse and then he quit, then Vargo liked SMG but had to deal with the consequences of his BS over time, the probations for worse and worse and then he quit and now we have Gonsmithe who likes SMG but has to deal with the consequences of his bullshit and actually got to the point of banning him before quitting. Also sometimes SMG would settle down for a bit, just to start up again.

Like your asking why things aren't consistent like that even matter. He was asked to stop doing something by a mod, he didn't and he got banned. I don't see what the big injustice is.

I mean the reason I was calling people dense is because gonsmithe said it wasn't that post it was his behavior over time and then responded, but that post wasn't that bad and then your first point in your response to me was "but his post wasn't that bad" which to me says you're not even reading what I'm saying because your literally responding back to me with the argument that in my post I said was irrelevant. Like even now you keep going on about how the post wasn't even that bad, when that really isn't why he was banned. He wasn't banned on that post alone but on behavior that post was endemic of over the last eight years and that he had just put on a month long probation for doing.

I mean he keeps pissing off mods and shows no sign of stopping which is the type of thing that gets you banned here. Like I think it was you in the other thread that said you worried that reregging him would be pointless because he'd just get banned again and yes, that is what happens when you get banned for something and then do that thing again.

Also, I never called him out for being smug (I specifically didn't care), and I'm sorry to offend for calling you dense but what you were posting in there is the same in here where you seem to be ignoring what I'm saying in order to beat on the same point over and over like it hasn't actually been responded to. The ban wasn't based just on that post and it was a rapidly escalated because that's what happens when you get probated for something and keep doing it.

Also, he's not barred from posting. He just has to rereg. $10 from anyone will let him post again, as is the way this forum works.

Also, you're getting angry at me for being rude and dismissive while at the same time you're defending a poster that was banned for being rude and dismissive so :shrug:

Not going to probate either of you but cool it with this. I understand you're both trying to defend your thoughts but there's no need to get so personal.

There's a reason I said people can keep talking about it in here, because I understand that people still want to talk about it, and I still want to talk about it because I like being open with everyone about my decisions.

I understand I've upset some people but I want to make things are clear, and there's no reason to fight over this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh I'm not dumb I'm just willfully ignorant okay thanks

...I don't think I said that???

Eh, I'm sorry to offend. It wasn't my intent. I just didn't think people were engaging very honestly with the argument and you still are arguing points that I thought I covered. This is already more than I really wanted to type on the topic, so once again, sorry if I offended you, SMG isn't banned anymore anyways so let's all just move on to something else.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

GonSmithe posted:

But when someone actively encourages people to want to stop posting and engaging with them, I think it's a problem. As Is aid in the QCS thread, there are plenty of people who engage with SMG, myself included. And there are plenty of people who don't agree with him, and argue with him, and that's fine and good. But consistently, and especially as of late, SMG was not interested in actually arguing, he was interested in telling someone they were wrong and that he was better than them because he was right. There was no engagement to be had, even for people who went out of their way to write up well-thought out and reasoned responses (and trust me, I know that this was not always the case with the people engaging with him). He would continue to explain that they were wrong until one of two things happened a)they agreed with him or b) they stopped engaging because of how abrasive he was being towards them. I understand what some of you are saying in "well they shouldn't get so upset," etc., but I think their reaction is also valid.

SMG has made some very good posts, and made me think about a lot of movies very differently even if I didn't agree with what he was saying. But constant abrasion and acting superior does not sit well in my book, and that is the point that his posts got to. Taking the time to not belittle someone because they disagree with you is not hard, and most of the content he posted over the years was not this. I stand by my decision, and think it was the right thing to do.

I don't see a difference between his older posts and his more recent posts, and more importantly I don't see the difference between "actually arguing" and "explain(ing) that they were wrong until .... they agreed with him or they stopped engaging". In general it is not consistent for you to tell us that it's okay to call things stupid, say stuff is wrong, disagree, etc, but then at the same time probate and ban someone for being arrogant or acting superior. It's just not sensible or sustainable to police tone in that way and what ends up happening is people get punished because their writing style happens to rub the mod the wrong way rather than because they've done something deleterious to the community. If I'm disagreeing with you about a movie and I think there's something about it you simply haven't grasped or haven't noticed, I am at some point going to have to insult your perception or apprehension - make the claim that I succeeded where you failed, that I saw and grasped something you just didn't - or else our discussion can't continue.

Like, SMG's thesis on the new Alien movies is that people's negative reaction and/or misreading them comes from a concern for the brand and franchise rather than for the movie. Implicitly, this is insulting to a whole swathe of people who didn't like and/or "get" the movie. But... what, is he supposed to hide that he believes this?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy SMGs crazy readings. I only a agree with maybe a quarter of what he says, but his long-winded flights of analytical fancy are harmless, and I don't understand why anyone would get mad or give a poo poo that someone posted some crazy bullshit.

What I don't like is that he's not interested in a dialogue about film. He doesn't argue in good faith and he isn't interested in educating people, only establishing superiority. He's a goalpost moving, equivocating dick. And in a forum that is supposed to be about discussing films, he's only interested in a onesided smackdown. This is what drives people who are actually interested in discussing "out-there" readings, because he won't actually engage with you except to tell you that you're wrong.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 22, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

porfiria posted:

I don't entirely agree--most of the stuff that sets people off (Prometheus, Man of Steel, Zack Snyder in general) is pro. I think it's more people feeling threatened intellectually (what, you're so stupid you didn't realize 300 is a satirical comedy?)

Well, nowadays, sure. But he (was one of the people who) riled up a lot of fans by criticizing Transformers 1 and Tron: Legacy and Avengers and whatever else, and while the specific movies he chooses to criticize or defend has changed his basic thesis (that those who disagree are acting shallow and fanboyish and failing to read art critically) has not. ...but this is Cinema Discusso, you're supposed to be able to say that here. That's why there's a Baby's First Film Discussion forum now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Snak posted:

he won't actually engage with you except to tell you that you're wrong.

This, yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ferrinus posted:

Like, SMG's thesis on the new Alien movies is that people's negative reaction and/or misreading them comes from a concern for the brand and franchise rather than for the movie.

Also it's just flatly true. In the thread and in the critical reception both, and pretty much everywhere else you care to look.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like SMG :unsmith:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also it's just flatly true. In the thread and in the critical reception both, and pretty much everywhere else you care to look.

It's a shithead thing to say.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

ruddiger posted:

Where?!

Tonight they're showing a 70mm print of The Thing at the Egyptian Theater in LA. :mmmhmm:

IFC Center in West Village, playing twice a day all week

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's undeniable! And it's not like we needed him to tell us, he just marshaled the best production values in the course of doing so.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pirate Jet posted:

Like I said in the QCS thread, they made an entire new forum to avoid what has become the CineD trademark way of discussing movies and it died almost immediately. The lesson to take away is that that kind of discussion just isn't sustainable. We had numerous goons claiming that they wanted to discuss movies not in the CineD way and when it came time for them to put up or shut up, they collectively did the latter.

That's probably because it's fairly pointless to have a second one no one knows about around.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm not allowed to cum until i've caught up on every post in blockbuster video

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Make the padded-corners hugtime movie forum the main forum, and make CD a subforum of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ferrinus posted:

Make the padded-corners hugtime movie forum the main forum, and make CD a subforum of it.

Where does this forum exist because Blockbuster Video is just an FYAD-lite.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Blockbuster Video: Come here to cum here.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This took an odd turn

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I shat all over Hannibal in the TVIV thread and while many people disagreed with me they didn't flip their poo poo or anything, I don't think SA's gotten worse at taking criticism of popular media, unless it's very low-effort trolling. Games is the only place people get super defensive and mad and can't handle someone saying their current favorite thing is poo poo, but I don't think video game people have ever been good at that, especially anime video game people.

What are you talking about, video gamers are always rational about video games. (It's about ethics in journalism, Roger Ebert is a fraud, If Anita Sarkeesian doesn't like attractive women in video games why does she wear make-up, and also I'm going to phone in a bomb threat whenever she tries to speak in public)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wait guys. Wait!

SMG

S M G

smug

S M u G

SMUG

holy poo poo we're through the looking glass here people.

:mason:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's not a shithead thing to say. Accurately describing behaviour is not being a shithead.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I dunno, I thought it had pacing issues and I could not give less of a gently caress about xenomorphs one way or another (except I'm a little of sick of them I guess). I am a capitalist liberal pigdog though I admit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It's not a shithead thing to say. Accurately describing behaviour is not being a shithead.

Actually, the opposite interpretation, is true.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

See that's actually something I agree with SMG on, and I don't have a problem with him saying that. Saying that audiences and critics have this idea of a franchise context that is inhibiting them from judging the film on its own is not lovely or mean or anything.

I'm in a weird place in this whole thing, because it's so polarized.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

To scroll back a bit,

Snak posted:

I really enjoy SMGs crazy readings. I only a agree with maybe a quarter of what he says, but his long-winded flights of analytical fancy are harmless, and I don't understand why anyone would get mad or give a poo poo that someone posted some crazy bullshit.

What I don't like is that he's not interested in a dialogue about film. He doesn't argue in good faith and he isn't interested in educating people, only establishing superiority. He's a goalpost moving, equivocating dick. And in a forum that is supposed to be about discussing films, he's only interested in a onesided smackdown. This is what drives people who are actually interested in discussing "out-there" readings, because he won't actually engage with you except to tell you that you're wrong.

See, I would tell you that he argues in completely good faith, he just makes a performance piece out of it.

A lot of times when two people can't or don't want to come to an agreement, they will each say of the other that ah, he's not arguing in good faith, he's not interested in real dialogue, blah blah blah. Sometimes this is true of both of them and sometimes it's true of just one, but it sure as hell isn't a unique quality of the guy currently banned or, indeed, a bannable offense. Why, if it was, everyone who'd ever disagreed with me about anything would be perma'd!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snak posted:

See that's actually something I agree with SMG on, and I don't have a problem with him saying that. Saying that audiences and critics have this idea of a franchise context that is inhibiting them from judging the film on its own is not lovely or mean or anything.

I'm in a weird place in this whole thing, because it's so polarized.

It's a shitheaded way to frame your comeback in a conversation about a movie

hmmmm actually you're blinded by your own ignorant fetishization of the brand hmmmmmm

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SMG is a national treasure. :smug:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Magic Hate Ball posted:

hmmmm actually you're blinded by your own ignorant fetishization of the brand hmmmmmm

What's the polite way to say "you're blinded by your own ignorant fetishization of the brand?"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Schwarzwald posted:

What's the polite way to say "you're blinded by your own ignorant fetishization of the brand?"

while giving me a handy j in the regal 21 dumpster

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
BYOB is the forum for being nice all the time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He didn't do that, though. He literally opened with that, not responding to someone. It's a totally fair way to set the stage for the rest of his reading. If I was going to write a review of Covenant, I would start with a similar disclaimer.

As you can see, there are more than two sides to this argument.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Snak posted:

He didn't do that, though. He literally opened with that, not responding to someone. It's a totally fair way to set the stage for the rest of his reading. If I was going to write a review of Covenant, I would start with a similar disclaimer.

As you can see, there are more than two sides to this argument.

You're presupposing that I know what I'm talking about, which goes entirely against my philosophy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

John Wick is cool as hell

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I don't really know how to explain myself any more than I have already. I think there is a way to explain yourself and to argue with people without needing to personally insult their intelligence, no matter how divisive the argument might be (like the franchising argument in the Alien thread which I agree with) and I don't think that it's conductive to a positive posting environment, which is all I try to do as a mod.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

John Wick is cool as hell

Hell yeah

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Just say words that mean things sometimes and don't get mad

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's really funny is that SMG's tone and mode of engagement with others are an essential element of his posts. I don't just mean like a signature style or something, but that they provide additional context and content for the argument being presented. Like it or not, it's pretty tough to take the argument without everything else and end up with the same understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Y'know what I don't get: why do some filmmakers never put their shorts online? Like usually the vast majority of shorts I see where I see those things end up online because, really, what else are you going to do with a short? Like I can understand that some people want to sell their shorts and some spend years on the festival circuit but some just never show up online.

I only say this because like seven years ago I saw this short called Negativipeg and I've been dying to see it again and it is nowhere outside of a small clip. I mean, if I could pay for it, I would but a few times every year I look and always come back disappointed. I'm sure it won't be good as a remember because everything's better at a festival but I still wanna see it again.

After I search I usually look through what other shorts I liked that I'e never seen posted and I look until I find one which always leads to a

Short of the Day
Ten Meter Tower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8-Oc_TOPDI
Warning: a very funny and endearing look at people at their most vulnerable. Also extremely, mildly :nws:. Like so much to that it's probably not

• Locked thread