Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

And More posted:

Couldn't have put it any better. Season two Cooper is one dumb sonofabitch. We're better off with Dougie. :colbert:

edit: At least Dougie knows how to karate chop a guy when the occasion calls for it.

Anyone complaining about dougie really needs to go back and watch Flannel Cooper for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

romanowski posted:

if you think about it literally every bad thing that's ever happened is cooper's fault

Coop did 9/11.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Coop d'etat

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Coop touched Denise's leg a bunch in that cabin, could that have been bad coop as well?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I want to say how much I appreciate Janey-E's apparent obsession/shame with their terrible used cars.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Franchescanado posted:

My take on the Dougie thing:
Coop is pure goodness. Doppel Coop is pure evil. They are the 1 and 7 (or 8). So that means that there are six (or seven) other variations of a "Coop" out there. Dougie lands in the middle, closer to Bad Coop, but not fully evil.

Do you think if there are six or seven other doppelgangers they could relate to the six paths of rebirth found in Buddhism? Could this be related to the Dug-pa the evil buddhist wizards?

http://theosophy.wiki/w-en/index.php?title=Dugpa

Intrinsic Field Marshal fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 22, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cromulent posted:

I want to say how much I appreciate Janey-E's apparent obsession/shame with their terrible used cars.

It's what you would call a pre-owned car!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Do you think if there are six or seven other doppelgangers they could relate to the six paths of rebirth found in Buddhism? Could this be related to the Dug-pa the evil buddhist wizards?

Sure. The third episode of the show is called "Tibet". It's not a stretch, Lynch is pretty open about loving Eastern spiritualism

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Booper is up there with Cocaine Wizard for best unofficial character names in this thread.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm kinda glad none of the latest insanity of the thread had to do with me :v:

For whatever it's worth though, I felt like there was a pretty significant undercurrent of sexual assault both to the Diane scenes, and in the scene with Doc Hayward.

To me, it's not even necessarily significant what happened on that night between Diane and Bad Coop. And I think we can be pretty drat sure it was Bad Coop doing some masquerade as Good Coop.

One of the things I think we forget while watching that scene is all the privileged information we have access to as the audience. Whatever happened between the two of them, as far as Diane has known all this time, it happened between her and Cooper - just Cooper. Up until Gordon and Albert saw Coop in that jail cell, nobody had any reason to believe that there was ever more than one Dale Cooper. And even then, it seems that they were not entirely sure until Diane confirmed it for them.

What I felt Diane was looking for from "Bad Cooper" in that scene was one thing: empathy. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if Dale Cooper had a super-power, it would be empathy. His empathy and his openness were always hallmarks of his character. There was never any false macho bullshit to get in the way of that for him - in fact, Bad Coop doesn't have much false macho bullshit, either.

So anyway, that's why I think Diane brought up "that night" immediately, and was looking him straight-on full in the eye - which was clearly an effort for her. Not only was there no empathy, but there was open menace on the part of Bad Coop. The line that struck me really hard and seemed REALLY menacing was when Diane asked him where it was they had met last time. Bad Coop replies, "At your house" :geno: And then they discussed whether they both *remembered* that night.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out the scene that the encounter reminded me of was the scene from Lost Highway when Bill Paxton first speaks to The Mystery Man played by Robert Blake at the party - the scene where The Mystery Man claims to be "at [his] house". The blank, empty menace of the way Blake delivers the line "At your house" when Paxton is like "you're where right now?" at first sounds very similar. And both times there is something incantatory about the line. It's like evil telling you full in the face that you let them into your house/your being and that they'll never really ever be gone.

Anyway, y'all can make jokes and call me nuts but those are my feelings after watching it over and thinking about it a bit. I don't necessarily think the reality of what happened is near as significant or imposing as the specter of menace that now exists over what Bad Coop may have done 25 years ago before he "went missing". I'm expecting a really interesting scene with Audrey Horne, at some point very soon I hope.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think you have a point, it doesn't really matter what happened between Bad Coop and Diane, it's her reaction to that scene that tells us all we need to know. It'd be nice to know specifics, but I think as an audience we don't really need it. If Lynch were to leave it like this and we don't get to hear that talk she's promised with Gordon, I'd be fine with that.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
This post is not about rape or a dumb Phish theory so skip it if that's your thing.

I used to follow a band around while in my 20s (who didn't right?). They achieved modest success and peaked by going on a European tour opening for Ok Go. After they came back home here to Michigan, the drummer decided to go off to LA to pursue an acting career. The band never really went anywhere after that. I still listen to their music and reminisce about my quasi hipster youth.

I didn't get into Twin Peaks until the last year but I've trying to follow the thread and keep up with the new episodes. A very memorable character caught my eye and I didn't believe it until the credits rolled by. "The Anvil" made it big gosh darn it and I'm so proud to see him do well.

You know him as the Spike, but to me he's The Anvil" and an awesome drummer from a really fun band called The Hard Lessons.

Ike the Spike playing the drums

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Gravitee posted:

This post is not about rape or a dumb Phish theory so skip it if that's your thing.

I used to follow a band around while in my 20s (who didn't right?). They achieved modest success and peaked by going on a European tour opening for Ok Go. After they came back home here to Michigan, the drummer decided to go off to LA to pursue an acting career. The band never really went anywhere after that. I still listen to their music and reminisce about my quasi hipster youth.

I didn't get into Twin Peaks until the last year but I've trying to follow the thread and keep up with the new episodes. A very memorable character caught my eye and I didn't believe it until the credits rolled by. "The Anvil" made it big gosh darn it and I'm so proud to see him do well.

You know him as the Spike, but to me he's The Anvil" and an awesome drummer from a really fun band called The Hard Lessons.

:captainpop: This is the most incredible thing - that's awesome.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Gravitee posted:

Alright Rick listen theres this Little Midget Fella right, who kills people on behalf of a interdimensional demon also plays drums for a garage rock band

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3lDx8vsVDQ

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Dougie has been a lot of fun but I really am starting to miss the old Coop and I'd like to see him come back sometime in the next couple of episodes. It seems like he's starting to emerge here and there, like his quick "he's lying" in the office meeting (like his lawman's instincts kicking in) and his immediate takedown of the gunman. And it's looking like Cole and Albert are close to finding him. I just hope it happens soon.

I've also been a bit disappointed by all the time spent in places other than Twin Peaks and/or the Black Lodge. I miss the quirky aspect of the show.

Overall, though, I'm just super glad that there's more Twin Peaks. Since Lynch is writing/directing the whole thing I've got faith that he'll pull it off in the end. I wouldn't say no to a fourth season. And Naomi Watts has been truly amazing and is easily the best new character on the show, which is a little shocking to me.

Edit: And I'm not sure what I think about Diane yet. An integral part of her character has always been that she wasn't actually a real character. At least, she was never seen or heard. Actually seeing her is pretty weird.

...! fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 22, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That is very awesome about learning about Ike the Spike's alter ego as The Anvil. I am also comforted to learn those aren't his real teeth. One of the cool things about Lynch is how much he overlaps with the indie music scene and the contemporary art scene, which are both extremely different from one another at times (let alone being extremely different from the Hollywood scene which must be a nightmare for someone like Lynch).

It's really, again, what makes these 18 episodes so goddamn special - I seriously can't imagine him making anything like this ever again - certainly no more films, and I'm fairly doubtful he'll have any other projects that he'd view as worth devoting so much time to. I think this is a story that he has wanted to tell for some time, and that he's extremely fond of many of these characters, as well as the "world" that he's created for them to occupy, which really is pretty singular.

Also, I recall an interview Lynch gave which I read (I wish I could recall where) wherein he says that he had originally wanted to make THREE Twin Peaks movies after the show ended: The first film would be all about the Teresa Banks investigation, the second film would be about Laura Palmer's last week alive. and the third film would take place AFTER season 3 - obviously he more or less smashed the two films together and the result was more or less FWWM. Presumably the third film might have been a much earlier version of what we're seeing now, perhaps, or one or two threads of what we're kinda seeing now. Or maybe it would have been very different, but given the number of references to FWWM in this Revival, I sorta doubt it. Parts of this really feel like they're meant to be seen somewhat briefly after FWWM, maybe.

I sometimes wonder how he gets it all right - like how in this series, he really gets the lighting for the scenes set in Twin Peaks just right. It's like everything has this hazy glow about it, and the dominant colors are always earth tones, shades of brown (wood) and green (trees) with touches of femininity (pink) or danger (red) and there is always a sort of hazy glow or cast to the scenes that I can't quite put my finger on.

This show has also really made me appreciate Robert Forster's face. Seriously - what a fantastic face. Second only to the legendary Harry Dean Stanton in craggy faces on this show

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

kaworu posted:

Up until Gordon and Albert saw Coop in that jail cell, nobody had any reason to believe that there was ever more than one Dale Cooper.

Laura Palmer knew there was more than one before Bad Coop even existed and (as Hawk pointed out) she never even met Coop. :colbert:

If only her prophecies had been known ahead of time. :(

...!
Oct 5, 2003

And hey, why are we calling him Booper? I call him Dale-ppelganger which is much cooler. :mad:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Booper is easier/faster to type than Dale-ppelganger, though you get points for the better portmanteau.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Danzig is still my favorite Bad Coop nickname.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

if the internet doesn't unanimously adopt "coopleganger" soon i'm gonna FREAK

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
IMO you need to go all in and have it be some poo poo like Devil King Cooper or Beast God Cooper.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
My theory for the finale: Lynch will gradually increase the number of new characters introduced every episode and somehow have them all coincidentally end up in the same room and then a bomb will go off killing everyone

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I miss Audrey, she did detective things.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tupperwarez posted:

IMO you need to go all in and have it be some poo poo like Devil King Cooper or Beast God Cooper.

I'd like to recommend Ahpook, for maximum confusion.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Alright Rick listen theres this Little Midget Fella right, who kills people on behalf of a interdimensional demon also plays drums for a garage rock band

"There's these boys, right, and uh, they're really bad at paintin', and drawrin' and... and sculpture, and what have you. So these boys are really bad at paintin' an' that, alright? HL. H. L. Hard Lessons. Right? 'Ard less sons. Artless sons. 'Ard Lessons."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KillerQueen posted:

Bobby: Okay Audrey, what's our strategy for tracking down the new pipeline for drugs into Twin Peaks?
Audrey: We look through a peephole into my Daddy's office and hope he mentions something about it!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've just been calling him DoppelCoop this entire time but Booper is fun too!

CJacobs posted:

:yeah:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm still a fan of Booper, mostly because it pairs so easily with Dooper.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

KillerQueen posted:

Every episode we've gotten so far has increased my anxiety about the possibility Audrey won't be an integral part of the season.

I'm gonna blow such a huge lady load when Fenn finally does show up.

Also I love this season and reading this batshit thread.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Gravitee posted:

the keyboard in that song reminds me of An Albatross, if they did a song longer than 15 seconds. mark me down as a fan.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tend to use Evil Coop or Coolper for the doppelganger, and Baby Coop for Dougie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

I tend to use Evil Coop or Coolper for the doppelganger, and Baby Coop for Dougie.
Majin Coop

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Tupperwarez posted:

Venom Cooper

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i call the hyptothetical return of the real cooper from twin peaks coop-senpai

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
and dougiecooper coop-chan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think that "Mr. C" should be what we cool "Cooper's Nefarious Dopple-Gangstah" and we should call "Dougie Luv's Impersonator" just plain ol' Cooper 'cos that's who he is :colbert: