Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been trying some Op too in light of recent discussion. To me it seems like OpMo gets farther than anything else; push unarmed, go Oka to get a good hat or Gozag for the stores, and you can actually hit things and kill them! One guy I got the tentacle-claw mutation and he was doing pretty good. That said, I've only gotten 2 runes max on any Op so maybe I'm just talking out my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
spiderform is definitely better than OpMo

doesn't take a ton to get it active and it makes your unarmed way better

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I have a track record of failure, but I'm liking Fedhas, Ru, and Hep for octopode transmuter- they don't make you better at what you do, but they do keep you alive- and I need all the help I can get with this combo.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Getting an OpTm going has been my latest obsession. Its not going so well. I've made it past lair once.

e: I took a break to play a DrEE. Got grey, so got lucky with the apt there. then I found a staff of conjuration...whats my play? I don't have any equipment of note other than that staff, no extra books. Haven't chosen a god yet.

ee: NVM that edit. Got wrecked running away from an OOD big ugly thing and running into sigmund and a player ghost whilst running away. Back to OpTm facepalming.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 22, 2017

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Finally my first 15 rune win :woop:

code:
16166690 Inde the Swordmaster (level 27, 281/281 HPs)
             Began as a Formicid Fighter on June 21, 2017.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on June 22, 2017!

The game lasted 11:08:30 (97031 turns).

Inde the Swordmaster (Formicid Fighter)            Turns: 97031, Time: 11:08:31

Health: 281/281    AC: 54    Str: 26 (29) XL:     27
Magic:  42/42      EV: 15    Int: 14      God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold:   12985      SH: 23    Dex: 10 (11) Spells: 13/56 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +9 triple sword (holy)
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   p - +2 large shield of the Dolphin {Regen+}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   R - +9 gold dragon scales "Ekhiann" {rPois rF+ rC+ rN+}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   (helmet unavailable)
rElec    +         Reflect  .   F - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   c - +1 pair of gloves of Lusa {rElec rC+}
MR       +++..                  X - +2 pair of boots "Biocvirch" {rCorr Int+2 Dex-3}
Stlth    ..........             T - amulet of regeneration
Regen    1.4/turn               h - ring "Qaanomn" {AC+2 Dex+3 Stlth+}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               Z - ring of Qaqeafuw {rPois rF++ Slay+3 Stlth-}

@: glowing
A: permanent stasis, dig shafts and tunnels, four strong arms, antennae 3, icy
blue scales 1, rugged brown scales 1, thin metallic scales 1, clever 1, clumsy
1, robust 1, no potion heal 1
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer
a: Dig, Shaft Self, Divine Shield, Cleansing Flame, Summon Divine Warrior, Brand
Weapon With Holy Wrath, Renounce Religion

a - a +9 triple sword of holy wrath (weapon)
 b - a +5 triple crossbow of velocity

b - Passage of Golubria   Tloc           N/A          1%          4    ##.....
c - Lesser Beckoning      Tloc           ######....   1%          3    None
f - Aura of Abjuration    Summ           ######....   1%          5    ####...
I really like Formicid, the controlled digging on command lets you make killholes on demand which is incredibly strong when you're outnumbered and can make a ton of situations trivial by turning massive fights into a long string of 1v1's inside a wall. Of course it doesn't work everywhere, but even in normal situations some heavy armor and a large shield can give a ton of survivability so you can move to more favorable positioning. The dig shafts thing I'm less keen on - I'm more of an 'explore everything' type and not so much a diver, and it seems to take several turns to activate so it's not the greatest escape mechanism either. I feel like Passage of Golubria is crucial though if planning to do anything beyond a 3 rune game, you don't need it often but when you do it is incredibly good as the only mobility option, giving you the ability to run from bad situations where you can't just hide in a wall.

Anyway I did the classic Okawaru - TSO swap, didn't get anything too crazy gifted to me but he did give me the triple crossbow that I sunk a ton of exp into and only really started using from hell-pan-tomb. It was pretty cool being able to kill poo poo at range for once, though throwing might be easier the crossbow definitely felt cooler and you get a metric fuckton of ammo from yaktaurs. Oneshotting tormentors at full screen made it all worth it, and it made clearing tomb easier as well. Other than that I went with swords to maximize the 1v1 killhole capability, and I lucked out and found the +11 Plutonium Sword in a desolation of salt in Elf, which I took all the way through zot:5 before switching to the holy wrath for hells. I also found a vault on D:9 with *4* artifact jewelry, including the ring of Qaqeafuw (right hand) {rPois rF++ Slay+3 Stlth-} which I wore the whole game. I'd say I didn't have amazing luck with gear other than that, but I did have mostly full resists by the end of vaults where i got gold dragon armor so I guess it wasn't that bad! The only truly close call of the run actually came in Zot:1, where a moth of wrath berserked two draconians right by the entrance who came incredibly close to ending it there, got me to 4hp. Other than that it was pretty smooth sailing, I learned a lot from the last almost-successful run to improve this one. Though in Pan I DID get dropped straight into the enemy boss vault TWICE, with gloorx and later cerebov, which was pretty rude, but I was plenty strong enough to just stand and fight them thankfully.

48795 | Slime:5 | Killed a shard shrike shaped Royal Jelly -- thanks plutonium sword

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Inde/morgue-Inde-20170622-191933.txt

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
gently caress the Abyss, lost a great character in there for the second time in a row. I can't kill enough Starcursed Masses to stop getting paralyzed for turns at a time because I keep getting paralyzed for turns at a time while they multiply

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Half of Dracula posted:

gently caress the Abyss, lost a great character in there for the second time in a row. I can't kill enough Starcursed Masses to stop getting paralyzed for turns at a time because I keep getting paralyzed for turns at a time while they multiply

How deep are you diving, cause the top few levels aren't particularly dangerous.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you see a starcursed mass and aren't in a position to kill it quickly or LOS block it, read a teleport scroll. If you read one preemptively you'll get ported out even while they chain stun you.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

How deep are you diving, cause the top few levels aren't particularly dangerous.

Both cases were in Abyss 3 after being Banished (Elf, Vault)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Half of Dracula posted:

Both cases were in Abyss 3 after being Banished (Elf, Vault)

Yeah in that case just read teleport if you can't kill Starcursed quickly

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah in that case just read teleport if you can't kill Starcursed quickly

One was a Formicid, though I admit the other should have shed the -Tele artifact chainmail / more aggressively sought an alternative

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

How do you handle a TrBe using Unarmed midgame around lair when Trog starts gifting you? Assuming you haven't found any noteworthy weaponry up to that point?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Get points in throwing so he'll gift you javs?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yep. And if it's a troll, I think Trog can gift you large rocks? I know Oka can. Large rocks are the best investment in the game. If you can get 50 or 60 of those stockpiled, you can kill everything before it even gets in melee range.

Large rocks + 20 in throwing + dontbestupid = win game

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
For an unarmed be, melee weapon gifts are Trog's way of reminding you to use brothers in arms more often.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Just remember that large rocks now require 26 throwing to get to minimum delay and are Slow as gently caress (base delay 2.0) without at least a moderate amount of throwing skill.

It can be worth it mid-late game to train some M&F (like 4-8) in case Trog gifts some insane large club, especially if you want to do extended.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So I tried FoFi for the first time last night (don't judge) and it was amazing fun. How do you guys handle skill progression with them? I was doing very well and had some really good Ok gifts but as it usually happens, overconfidence ended me in Orc 2.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

So I tried FoFi for the first time last night (don't judge) and it was amazing fun. How do you guys handle skill progression with them? I was doing very well and had some really good Ok gifts but as it usually happens, overconfidence ended me in Orc 2.

Generally what worked for me was focusing my weapon 100% until 8 skill, by then you'll generally have found okawaru's altar, and turn on shields and invocations. Turn shields off at 5 as that removes the accuracy penalty from your normal shield and turn on dodging and armor and catch the defenses up a bit, and turn on fighting after another level or two. You can turn invo off at around 9-10, more might add extra duration to your actives? but I think they last plenty long enough.anyway, just want that fail rate down. After that it's mostly keeping up your weapon, armor dodging and fighting, maybe focusing shields again when you want to upgrade to a large shield, and you may want to add a ranged option in there somewhere, whether its throwing or evocations or a sling or whatever is up to you (I don't think Fo can use bows onehanded, but you can do a crossbow if you really want). Focus your main weapon when you find a decent heavier version and need to get the delay down, make sure it's at least 1.0 or less (2 ranks removes .1 delay). By the time you're clearing vaults and going on your third rune you might be good to start branching into some support magic, if you like. By that point you should be at min delay with your weapon unless you're using something super heavy like an exe axe or something, but your core build is basically complete and you can kinda focus on whatever you need.

Oh and if you aren't already I'd suggest switching to manual training ('/' key in the skill menu) so it splits the xp evenly, the default method can make it hard to train skills you don't use often like invo/evoc.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 24, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

How much would Slay-4 gimp a character? Found a shield with rN+++ rCorr SInv Slay-4.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Earlygame FoFi^oka, as with most melee dudes: train a roughly similar amount of weapon skill and fighting. People seriously underestimate how much of an impact fighting has on your melee damage and accuracy on top of giving you HP. You don't want to put it off.

Once you have heroism, train like 2-3 invo. Once you have finesse, train like 8 invo.
After that, keep training weapon skill until you hit mindelay and fighting until at least 10. When you start training defensive skills is up to you, but you should almost never have less fighting than any of them. My personal rule of thumb is taking shields and armor to 10 once I hit 10 fighting, then turning on fighting/shields until they both hit 15. Weapon skill stays on at the same time if it's not mindelay yet, dodging can happen whenever and is not a priority.

Bear in mind you do not need to even get close to eliminating shield penalties for them to be worth it. On Fo, wear large shield whenever you find one, no matter how early it is. (On other species I will use large shield starting at like 15~ skill.)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

FoFi now has +8 plate armor of ponderousness and a +2 CPA both gifted from Ok. Is one "strictly better"? The CPA I'm assuming once I can enchant it up?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

vulturesrow posted:

FoFi now has +8 plate armor of ponderousness and a +2 CPA both gifted from Ok. Is one "strictly better"? The CPA I'm assuming once I can enchant it up?
Absolutely. Especially as a formicid, since you lose all your other escape options, ponderous will get you killed. It'd be usable if you were worshipping Chei, because then running away wouldn't be an option anyways. But as a Fo of anything else? Don't even touch ponderous.

That being said, good non-artifact CPA is a ridiculously good get, and you'd be a fool to turn it down.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Got a good MiGl of Oka going, but I'm kinda torn on where to go next. I've gotten the runes from Shoals and Spider and I've cleared Vaults down to just before Vault 5, so that's a possibility, but I'm thinking about heading into Elf or Crypt to hopefully pick up some better gear, particularly jewelry. I know I'll need MR for Elf and rN for Crypt, are there any other big "gotta have it" resistances to get before heading in? I haven't played regularly since .14 or so

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Chic Trombone posted:

Got a good MiGl of Oka going, but I'm kinda torn on where to go next. I've gotten the runes from Shoals and Spider and I've cleared Vaults down to just before Vault 5, so that's a possibility, but I'm thinking about heading into Elf or Crypt to hopefully pick up some better gear, particularly jewelry. I know I'll need MR for Elf and rN for Crypt, are there any other big "gotta have it" resistances to get before heading in? I haven't played regularly since .14 or so

my experience as another lapsed player is that Elf and most of Depths are currently easier than Vaults 5, whereas the Crypt monster set is a lot more dangerous now than it used to be (ancient champions, flayed ghosts, etc) and I keep dying in there even with good rN

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I've got a really mess of opinions on Crypt that I can't quite sort out into something coherent right now, but gonna salvage one point from my aborted post.

If you haven't played since around 0.13/0.14 or so, pay attention to Curse Skulls. They've still got mostly the same bag of tricks, but they're no longer stationary but mobile with speed fifteen. They also have 55 HP and 35 AC, which is considerably less then their stationary heyday. If you can get close with a two-handed weapon you can pretty much kill them quickly, while a one-hander with a shield will suffer a bit. Assuming you do not have the ranged or spell means to deal with them, you may find scrolls of fog even more useful than scrolls of holy word. With a little luck you can break LOS before they summon much of anything, and then just bash them in the face when they charge up.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there an updated guide of recommended order for diving? Everything is all funky and all the zones are different and change scares me

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

When did "curare" become a weapon property?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BrandorKP posted:

When did "curare" become a weapon property?

As far as I know its not. The only weapon that has it is the unrand Snakebite.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ah ok

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
We need a form of evocable apportation. Call it a baraki scepter or Prince Ribbit's tongue or something.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Really not feeling the Potion of Mutation situation in newest stable release. Using every potion I get, only when I have a few bad mutations, still leaves my character a complete mess in lategame. Stat penalties is one thing, but Berserkitis, Teleportitis, potion healing reduced, blurry vision, these are devastating

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Half of Dracula posted:

Really not feeling the Potion of Mutation situation in newest stable release. Using every potion I get, only when I have a few bad mutations, still leaves my character a complete mess in lategame. Stat penalties is one thing, but Berserkitis, Teleportitis, potion healing reduced, blurry vision, these are devastating

I typically wait until I have a pile of bad muts before I use them, not just a few; it helps if you treat being a horribly mutated monster like the default state and a potion of mutation as a temporary buff for when you need more control over your environment that your current mutation set allows.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Need some advice (sorry but I can't just a char dump, don't ask why)

FoFi^Ok

Cleared all of dungeon, Orc, 3 levels of spider. XL 18

Currently wielding a vampiric broad axe plus I have a couple levels of regen thanks to a mutation and some equipment. My shield is large with reflect on it and I'm almost maxed on MR. Basically, my ant man is swole and can literally stand in a crowd and murder everything with my hp barely dropping.

But I found the Katana autumn and a really strong great sword as well...its too late to go down that road, right? I'm already up to 18.5 in Axes. LEave te swords alone, right?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Is a broad axe really the best axe you've found? No battleaxes or exe axes?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

someone awful. posted:

Is a broad axe really the best axe you've found? No battleaxes or exe axes?

Ok gifted me a exe axe with antimagic.

But its all a moot point now. gently caress shoals forever

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Half of Dracula posted:

When deciding whether or not to use a Mut pot, the question isn't "is this going to kill me before endgame", it's "is this going to kill me before my next chance to eat the purple?"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

vulturesrow posted:

Need some advice (sorry but I can't just a char dump, don't ask why)

FoFi^Ok

Cleared all of dungeon, Orc, 3 levels of spider. XL 18

Currently wielding a vampiric broad axe plus I have a couple levels of regen thanks to a mutation and some equipment. My shield is large with reflect on it and I'm almost maxed on MR. Basically, my ant man is swole and can literally stand in a crowd and murder everything with my hp barely dropping.

But I found the Katana autumn and a really strong great sword as well...its too late to go down that road, right? I'm already up to 18.5 in Axes. LEave te swords alone, right?
even if you didn't have a weapon skilled up yet there's no reason to ever use anything but a nice vampiric axe for a normal game if it's available tbh

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Isn't a broadaxe a little low damage to sustain HP via vampirism in the late game areas? You're also going to run into issues against enemies that need to die but you can't kill them before they cause mischief.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Half of Dracula posted:

Yeah I feel like removing rmut, cure mutation, and rolling it all into regular mutation was not only a boring design decision but ultimately less fun/more challenging for all the wrong reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

even if you didn't have a weapon skilled up yet there's no reason to ever use anything but a nice vampiric axe for a normal game if it's available tbh

Your thoughts on the broadaxe though? I felt like the damage output was sufficient, especially with vampiric and 2 levels of regen. I just got lazy in Shoals basically.

Someone want to throw some tips at me on early-to-midgame Necromancer?

• Locked thread