Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched Black Sunday (1960, dp Mario Bava). Or the more accurate title, THE MASK OF SATAN :spooky:

What are some other good movies where the director also was DP? Only movies coming to mind are Killer's Kiss (1955, dp Stanley Kubrick) and Death Proof (2007, dp Quentin Tarantino).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beasts of No Nation (2015, dir./d.p. Cary Joji Fukunaga)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched Black Sunday (1960, dp Mario Bava). Or the more accurate title, THE MASK OF SATAN :spooky:

What are some other good movies where the director also was DP? Only movies coming to mind are Killer's Kiss (1955, dp Stanley Kubrick) and Death Proof (2007, dp Quentin Tarantino).

Most Robert Rodriguez movies. You decide which ones are the good ones.

Water Sheep
Jan 6, 2013
Now that SMG is unbanned, I hope they don't just ban him again, which is why people are still arguing over the dumbness of this smug-argument.

Uncle Wemus posted:

hes unbanned :woop:

smg i've been waiting a month for your wonder woman reading please come back

If he doesn't say Ares exists entirely in Diana's head, I'll eat my hat.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

If we banned everyone who sucked this forum would be a wasteland with Jenny, Hundu and Lil Mama kicking a can to each other.

I just wanna chime in here to say that actually I am the best poster

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Egbert Souse posted:

Hundu and Boogey were talkin' Soderbergh before, and he also does the editing and cinematography on a lot of his movies. My personal favorite of his is The Good German.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LesterGroans posted:

If we banned everyone who sucked this forum would be a wasteland with Jenny, Hundu and Lil Mama kicking a can to each other.

If I had to draft a starting team for CineD and was allowed to be arrogant enough to pick myself, I'd definitely pick the three that you mentioned but also Hat Thoughts and SMG as our center. I dunno why but I imagine SMG as being really tall, like in an awkward stooped way. I dunno who's guards and who's forwards out of the other four

If I'm dropping myself from the squad then I'm probably putting Ken in, I used to be ambivalent on that dude because he hates almost every movie I like but he 100% owns on twitter and I love his podcast so he's moved way up on the ol tier list

Realistically though I like pretty much everyone here except for like Judakel. We even have some top-tier oafs in the form of Tenzarin and Bibs... we're blessed to have such oafs. My life is enriched by the posts of these oafs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's probably a correlation between doing enthusiastic directors commentaries and eagerly taking on the role of editor and DP of your own films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You're unironically one of my favorites. I like your bluntness.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
edit: on the cined team i'm the fat guy in the stands heckling people and eating hot dogs

Egbert Souse posted:

Idioterne, I think.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 22, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Every once in a while Bibs will make a bizarrely woke post and it makes me do a double take.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

You're unironically one of my favorites. I like your bluntness.

I only like LtKen because he has a GREAT podcast.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Definitely the water boy (or cocktail variation) of this team. Also, probably make the team meals.

Speaking of which, custard yay or nay?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

glam rock hamhock posted:

Warning: a very funny and endearing look at people at their most vulnerable. Also extremely, mildly :nws:. Like so much to that it's probably not

This rules, especially the kid.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Death By The Blues posted:

Definitely the water boy (or cocktail variation) of this team. Also, probably make the team meals.

Speaking of which, custard yay or nay?

Custard is loving amazing

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

edit: on the cined team i'm the fat guy in the stands heckling people and eating hot dogs

Same, except not on the CineD team.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I am loving furious at video games right now. I wish someone would have told me that XBONE achievements no longer unlock when you get back online if you earn them offline. Not that I have any other options (last time I left my Xbox online I racked up a massive data charge because i live in the boonies), but it should not be that hard to trigger achievements for someone playing offline. My 360 did it for christ sake.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Egbert Souse posted:

The Relic and Sudden Death by Peter Hyams, Blue Ruin and Murder Party by Jeremy Saulnier.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

porfiria posted:

Ahahahaha. Check out TVIV sometime brother.

lol I would take the TVIV Star Trek thread over any thread this living death of a forum has generated in the last year

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Actually making a list of best posters would have been dorky as hell, but you're up there.

Really, this is how I feel:

Jenny Angel posted:

Realistically though I like pretty much everyone here except for like Judakel. We even have some top-tier oafs in the form of Tenzarin and Bibs... we're blessed to have such oafs. My life is enriched by the posts of these oafs

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Y'know what I don't get: why do some filmmakers never put their shorts online?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Timby posted:

It's very oddly underappreciated in Soderbergh's filmography. I love it.

The Informant is so loving good. It might be my favorite Soderbergh, and that's saying something. It's just so weird in a way I've never seen another movie try. It also uses voiceover unlike any other movie.

I did a typo. I meant The Informer

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Kevin Smith is half the people i went to high school with

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Wemus posted:

Kevin Smith is half the people i went to high school with

Who was the other person?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching Tomb of the Dragon Deception with my wife because Indiana Jones is too slow for her. Help this marriage is doomed

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress.

Indiana Jones movie all open with an action sequence specifically to avoid feeling slow.

And they have excellent pacing overall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Am I anybody's favorite poster? :ohdear:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't pick favorites, but if I made a top 5 list you'd be on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I don't pick favorites, but if I made a top 5 list you'd be on it.

:O

Thank you.

E: It'd be really tough for me to pick even a top 5, but Jenny is so cool that my friend who only briefly talked to her in the 2015 Scream Stream chat still remembers her and thinks she's cool, so she's pretty much guaranteed a spot.

Also Skwirl and I are secretly best friends but he doesn't know it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 22, 2017

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

I'm watching Tomb of the Dragon Deception with my wife because Indiana Jones is too slow for her. Help this marriage is doomed

Sorry about your marriage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Most Robert Rodriguez movies. You decide which ones are the good ones.

In addition to it being the first time I realized Johnny Depp sometimes acts too much, Robert Rodriguez saying he "wrote, shot and chopped" the film felt like the hight of arrogance.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Eating Raoul is remarkably tasteful for a comedy with four attempted rapes in this first fifty minutes. Mary Woronov is a soldier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Having seen Tim Burton's Batman this evening at an outdoor venue, I am in the mood for all things batman. TAS is on amazon prime, but I'm also regretting not buying Return to Arkham duringnthe psn sale last week.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dickeye is the Iverson of the CD team

I'm the second unit director for the 30 For 30 about the CD team

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

Having seen Tim Burton's Batman this evening at an outdoor venue, I am in the mood for all things batman. TAS is on amazon prime, but I'm also regretting not buying Return to Arkham duringnthe psn sale last week.

If Brave and the Bold is anywhere you should be watching that. It was such a good show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I wish Batman Beyond was still free.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Preacher's motel fight scene is the best thing I've seen in years. Holy gently caress.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
Best of tviv, a Good Forum:

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.

shame abou thte loving Trolls tho!!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Preacher's motel fight scene is the best thing I've seen in years. Holy gently caress.
It's the highlight of S1 for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think I've invented a cure for hiccups, but I have invented a sure fire way to tell if you're done with hiccups. Recite the Litany Against Fear" from Dune, but replace the word "fear" with "hiccups." If you can finish the whole thing without hiccuping, you're done with hiccuping.

• Locked thread