Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bamhand posted:

There is a Borzoi available for adoption in my area. It took a lot of work convincing myself I did not need a second dog.

That has to be pretty rare, I've never seen a Borzoi outside of a dog show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, they want an experience owner and I think I work too much to be able to care for it properly.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/31915160

In case anyone is interested in a goofy deer dog. It's in the DC area.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

We are in the DC area but we have our own goofy deer already :) pretty dog though, like lassie and a greyhound had a kid!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Fun terrifying adventures in greyhound ownership #237:

We recently blocked off part of the yard to expand our garden and put a fence up so the dogs wouldn't trample the plants. Sadly this cuts off access to the fence where they bark at the neighbor dog (not deliberately at all! :ssh:) but we made sure they saw where the fence was, walked them around it, that sort of thing.

After we came back from Mother's Day at night I let them out and completely forgot the fence - and apparently so did Spartacus because he did his usual charging leap off the porch into the darkness and right into the new fence :(

I had just long enough to think "oh no" before I heard a godawful clanging. It was over in seconds, but my thought process went something like:

"Oh god he just broke his neck

Oh god he broke a leg

Oh god he put out an eye

Nothing? Nothing wrong?

Oh thank god"

I heard whining in the darkness at first, then what felt like forever later he limped into the light, then I saw a cut on his face. After feeling his legs and seeing him put weight on it I was confident he was just really, really scared. His heart was going pitter-patter so fast and pounding through his chest, I felt so awful for him. :cry:

Lots of comfort and treats and he was fine five minutes later (Dinner helped) but I was keyed up the rest of the night.

Anyway, we held onto his collar the next time we let him out, and he was very very careful going out after that. Actually, he had to hold it unusually long the other day, and it was funny because he really had to pee, but he really wanted to pee on his favorite bush behind the fence and we'd let the gate open. So he started going, noticed the open gate, and very carefully waddle-peed through the gate until he got to his bush and let loose.

Anyway, moral of the story is be careful if you change anything in your yard or else your dogs will give you a heart attack.

He ded

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a good car harness for greyhounds? I've had one for five years but it's never fit tightly enough due to those weird greyhound dimensions

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Is there a good car harness for greyhounds? I've had one for five years but it's never fit tightly enough due to those weird greyhound dimensions

I've got one like this, which works quite well. (Although it's not exactly the same one, mine is the same type)
What sort do you have? The above kind works well enough, assuming you get one that allows the lower straps to be tightened enough to accommodate for their more narrow lower-chest, so that it's not too loose.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

I've got one like this, which works quite well. (Although it's not exactly the same one, mine is the same type)
What sort do you have? The above kind works well enough, assuming you get one that allows the lower straps to be tightened enough to accommodate for their more narrow lower-chest, so that it's not too loose.

It's similar, but somehow in the last week she's somehow slipped out of it, which I've never seen before. It was still buckled and everything.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Happy Fifth B-Day to The Roo :toot:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

It's similar, but somehow in the last week she's somehow slipped out of it, which I've never seen before. It was still buckled and everything.

Wow, that's bizarre! Is it more loose-fitting around that padded chest part, or? I'm trying to imagine how they'd do it, but I'm stumped. My harness is fairly snug around him, so I'm clueless about how yours managed to get out, unless the straps couldn't be tightened quite enough, or something. Hmm.

pastor of muppets posted:

Aww :3: I hope the birthday doggo appreciated that hamburger - looks like a deluxe one, that's for sure! :D

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My long dogs were replaced by llamas!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pastor of muppets posted:

Happy belated Roo day! :toot:

wyoming posted:

My long dogs were replaced by llamas!

They look so warm! Soon you can shave them for their wool :D

Spartacus looks weird without a collar.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Love all the hound pics never stop posting! For content, we are at the beach for the long weekend and Reese is having fun too. He will let us know when he wants his bed dragged out.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Love all the hound pics never stop posting! For content, we are at the beach for the long weekend and Reese is having fun too. He will let us know when he wants his bed dragged out.

Ok

A viscous dogge v. fierce

His lip got stick on his teeth like that, his tongue was hanging out on the bottom too but he moved before I could take a pic :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of my parents' whippets escaped during lunch, ran through their neighbors' front door, and took a poo poo on the floor. :shepface:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

One of my parents' whippets escaped during lunch, ran through their neighbors' front door, and took a poo poo on the floor. :shepface:

hahaha that's amazing! :D My old family whippet never quite did THAT, although now that you mention it he DID always run a few houses down and take a dump on the path smack-dab in front of their door! Almost every time he needed to go, too.
(That happened for quite a few years until he eventually died, too...I don't think they ever thought very highly of us, due to his...'tendencies'!)

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Today is Casey's 8th birthday!

Tess got some too:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Happy bir-gerday, Casey! :toot:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdQnEHuFdkw

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Happy Birthday!

And now from the annals of laziness...

I'm feeling sleepy

Very Sleepy...

I am feel..zzzzzz

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Greyhounds losing the ever present battle with sleep will never not make me grin.

EDIT: Dumbdumbs went to the dog park! Apparently, they ran all around collecting pets from everyone and were a big hit.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 7, 2017

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I have not said much about Josie here but it is mostly because my ipad and phone hate imgur and won't upload pictures to it, and when I'm at work I forget.

Anyway it is Josie's birthday in about a week (she will be 3) and we were grilling burgs last night, so happy early burgday Josie-bella!

She took it to the grass and ate it in the following order:
- top bun
- bottom bun
- lettuce
- cheese
- meat

She even gave the meat a good licking and sniff before peeling off the cheese to gobble up.

I also enjoy giving Josie various fruits and vegetables because she seems to like most of them. She enjoys carrots, apples, melon, mango, cooked asparagus, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, and some others I forget right now. She does not like mushrooms.

Her far-and-away favorite is strawberries, to the point where she prefers them over her raw chicken drums. I have some strawberry plants in my backyard which I need to somehow prevent her from getting to because she will eat them off the plant the moment they are ripe. I am now calling her "strawbgoblin" and "strawburglar"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

I have not said much about Josie here but it is mostly because my ipad and phone hate imgur and won't upload pictures to it, and when I'm at work I forget.

Anyway it is Josie's birthday in about a week (she will be 3) and we were grilling burgs last night, so happy early burgday Josie-bella!

She took it to the grass and ate it in the following order:
- top bun
- bottom bun
- lettuce
- cheese
- meat

She even gave the meat a good licking and sniff before peeling off the cheese to gobble up.

I also enjoy giving Josie various fruits and vegetables because she seems to like most of them. She enjoys carrots, apples, melon, mango, cooked asparagus, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, and some others I forget right now. She does not like mushrooms.

Her far-and-away favorite is strawberries, to the point where she prefers them over her raw chicken drums. I have some strawberry plants in my backyard which I need to somehow prevent her from getting to because she will eat them off the plant the moment they are ripe. I am now calling her "strawbgoblin" and "strawburglar"

:swoon: Josie, such a sweet girl

All the other hounds are adorable, too, even if I can't remember their names. Keep posting pictures! Hoorayhounds!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is nine! Well 9.5 now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Abby is nine! Well 9.5 now.

Happy Abby day!

Sparty got a new collar because his old one apparently didn't handle going through the wash very well.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Wow Sparty's new collar is beautiful!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So Idunn had to get some stitches, and I'm having a hard time keeping a cone of shame on her.
Do any of you have advice or alternatives?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

So Idunn had to get some stitches, and I'm having a hard time keeping a cone of shame on her.
Do any of you have advice or alternatives?

I know somebody used a travel pillow taped on to a lab, but with greys' long snoots that might not be enough depending on where the stitches are. I also saw someone use a round plastic laundry or garbage basket with the bottom cut out - the cutouts meant sound wasn't as focused and it didn't freak them out as much.

Alternatively, when I put Nu-skin on Sparty he hates the taste and smell so much he doesn't mess with it.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Willow's had a real dilemma this week. She loves to make a nest in my bed and sleep under the covers or under her blanket, but it has been TOOO HOOTTT for that and she's been really upset about it. She keeps waking up, going under the covers for a few minutes, then coming out again and roaching like this to cool back down again. Poor thing. She's very much enjoyed eating ice cubes though. Also after 5 years of this dog I've officially given up on making my bed, she rearranges it nearly instantly to whippet specification.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I know with Reese they gave us a soft sided one with a drawstring to keep it closed, otherwise it would have come off and we tightened it below his collar. He looked like one of the small dinosaurs from the original Jurassic Park movie

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fuzz Feets posted:

I know with Reese they gave us a soft sided one with a drawstring to keep it closed, otherwise it would have come off and we tightened it below his collar. He looked like one of the small dinosaurs from the original Jurassic Park movie

Speaking of movies, between his face and that chair arm I'm getting some serious Get Out vibes

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Fuzz Feets posted:

He looked like one of the small dinosaurs from the original Jurassic Park movie

Haha aw. :kimchi:

I ended up going with this towel wrap I found on a greyhound website.
http://www.ngap.org/towel-collar-y540.html

Works well, and doesn't lead to such miserable looks:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hope the wrap worked well and that Idunn is well on her way to recovery. Meanwhile, this is the face my dog makes when I rub his tummy...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fuzz Feets posted:

Wow Sparty's new collar is beautiful!

Yeah, that's a pretty swish collar! Also, do the arrows allow him to turn left faster? :D (Sorry couldn't resist, haha) Looks very fancy

In other news, li'l Tazo punched another hole in his ear (his other ear this time, though) the other day after diving into a bush to try and catch a bird! Unfortunately it must've been right by a vein too, as it was just non-stop bleeding. :( He's OK now though, however it was a very miserable time for him - especially as he hated having blood running down his ear (naturally) and also hated having the injury covered up! (Not to worry though, he had a solution for the former issue - just wait until I approach, then shake his body like crazy, causing the entire room or outside area to be covered with flecks of blood! Myself included, heh)

At least he's back to his happy, lazy self now though. Also, after we got back from a post-breakfast walk earlier, I noticed that a bird decided to have a dip in the doggo's water bucket! Taz munching on the last of his breakfast startled it quite a bit though, so it fell over itself in the water (if that's possible) and was soaked, before swimming to the other side of the bucket. Taz didn't seem to mind though; he took a look at it, then just went back to eating his breakfast. :D I suppose there's no thrill to killing a helpless wet bird, compared to 'hunting' one that's perched precariously on a spikey bush.

(I got the bird out and held it to keep it warm for a little while though of course, since it's not exactly warm here at this time of year.
So it didn't die of cold, in case anyone was concerned about that. It DID poo on me just before it took off, though...)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty swish collar! Also, do the arrows allow him to turn left faster? :D (Sorry couldn't resist, haha) Looks very fancy
You tell me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgV1eF1FE

Thanks so much for the compliments guys, sorry I missed them earlier.

Hope Taz feels better! :ohdear: Greyhounds are so dreadfully talented at injuring themselves

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The scampering away at the end with the nails on hardwood is the most greyhound thing I've ever seen.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

You tell me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgV1eF1FE

Thanks so much for the compliments guys, sorry I missed them earlier.

Hope Taz feels better! :ohdear: Greyhounds are so dreadfully talented at injuring themselves

hahaha so good; it looks like he's got those left-hand turns pretty down-pat! :D

And as bamhand said, that scampering/sliding on smooth wooden flooring is so :greyhound: !
Taz did the same thing around a corner, and as a result he slid into a wall. He actually learnt his lesson after that one incident, which I was impressed about. :D However he didn't seem to get the hint, after getting his ear pierced the first time! Hopefully he knows better, now...

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy has started to play at the dog park at work recently (instead of doing his business and staring at the gate until I take him back). Most of the time though, he's just too fast for the other dogs. Other dogs will be playing and he'll join in, but then the other dogs aren't able to even get around him, and if they try to run to the side he'll be right on top of them every single step, until they give up and lie down by their owner. Occasionally there's another greyhound that will show up and they'll have a great time, but most of the time he can't even get started because the other dogs (lots of small dogs/poodle mixes) are just too slow.

Also he likes to dig whenever I bring him to parent's house - and then uses the loose dirt as a bed....

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
greyhounds playing chase with normal dogs is always hilarious. (when they can be bothered) My girls have given a few dogs what looks like a nervous breakdown when they put any effort into the chase.

My two had a full, pretty successful, racing career and a strong prey drive so I do worry sometimes when they play with other dogs. If the other dog panics, their velociraptor mode flips on and I get nervous.

They're such sweet dumb dumbs 90% of the time but when they see something furry running away in fear...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Xguard86 posted:

greyhounds playing chase with normal dogs is always hilarious. (when they can be bothered) My girls have given a few dogs what looks like a nervous breakdown when they put any effort into the chase.

My two had a full, pretty successful, racing career and a strong prey drive so I do worry sometimes when they play with other dogs. If the other dog panics, their velociraptor mode flips on and I get nervous.

They're such sweet dumb dumbs 90% of the time but when they see something furry running away in fear...

Sparty is funny because he has very little prey drive; the only time I've seen him go at anything was with a swift or some other bird that skims low over grass for insects. He chased that thing for a good 15 minutes, to the point I was worried he would over exert himself.

I'm pretty sure the bird was loving with him, because he would keep gaining on it and then juuuuust as he was about to catch it, it would suddenly pull up or do a sharp turn, and then he'd chase again :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Sparty is funny because he has very little prey drive; the only time I've seen him go at anything was with a swift or some other bird that skims low over grass for insects. He chased that thing for a good 15 minutes, to the point I was worried he would over exert himself.

I'm pretty sure the bird was loving with him, because he would keep gaining on it and then juuuuust as he was about to catch it, it would suddenly pull up or do a sharp turn, and then he'd chase again :roflolmao:

one of my girls leapt 4 or 5 ft up, plucked a squirrel off a tree and broke its neck. In 30 seconds. On a leash. The other, her sister, we had to wait an extra 2 weeks to adopt because she strained her neck trying to catch squirrels in the foster's yard.

They've gotten better though, I've worked with them and they've def become less interested in murder. Although one is absolutely insane for chasing motorcycles. Like, loses her F-ing mind and chokes herself on the leash with desire to run after them.