Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

My dream is that youtube will eventually just reject uploading your video if like 2/3 of your title is ALL CAPS and the rest is !?!?!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

My dream is that youtube will eventually just reject uploading your video if like 2/3 of your title is ALL CAPS and the rest is !?!?!?!?!?

Also if it's shot vertically.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I felt this episode of the Whole Plate may have been a bit weaker even if just for the fact that by nature of talking about broad genres we didn't get much transformers analysis, just a kind of 101 of genre theory through transformer- oh...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Terrible Opinions posted:

If I recall correctly it was less that they were supposed to be given moral depth and more that it was supposed to be shown why normalish people would tolerate them further east. We are lacking the banal evil part of Caesar's Legion and only got the active evil part of it.
Yeah unfortunately a lot of that got cut do to time and money restraints, also the reason there was no post game (do imagining how all those endings would change the world would probably cause that game to completely collapse even more than usual) another lame thing was that there was no connections or dialogue between the DLC and the base game.

Still what I really appreciate of New Vegas was its ability to get so many quality b-movie/TV Show actors/actresses compared to Fallout 3 just putting the whole VA budget in Liam Neeson.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Fallout 3 didn't even get a whole lot out of Neeson, either. Like, maybe 25 lines of dialogue and then his character dies off.

Meanwhile, New Vegas gets a bunch of dialogue out of Felicia Day, Wayne Newton, Danny Trejo, Dave Foley, Mike Foley, Matthew Perry, etc. A lot of it great, too.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Has getting an A-List actor in to do voice work ever actually worked in the game's favor? In anything I can think of off the top of my head, they have too little presence for their talent to have any impact on the game (Oblivion, Fallout 3), or actively harm the game by clearly just phoning in the lines without any care or enthusiasm.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

New Butt Order posted:

Has getting an A-List actor in to do voice work ever actually worked in the game's favor? In anything I can think of off the top of my head, they have too little presence for their talent to have any impact on the game (Oblivion, Fallout 3), or actively harm the game by clearly just phoning in the lines without any care or enthusiasm.

Brutal Legend seemed to get some pretty decent work out of Jack Black.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

MGSV had the opposite effect as well, where Kiefer Sutherland was presumably so loving expensive to have on that it's almost a shock when Big Boss says more than a single word in a scene.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

MGSV had the opposite effect as well, where Kiefer Sutherland was presumably so loving expensive to have on that it's almost a shock when Big Boss says more than a single word in a scene.

Did we ever figure out whether firing David Hayter was purely Kojima's decision, or was it another insane Konami directive that he just had to silently bow his head to because he and his team were functionally Konami's slaves at that point?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

nine-gear crow posted:

Did we ever figure out whether firing David Hayter was purely Kojima's decision, or was it another insane Konami directive that he just had to silently bow his head to because he and his team were functionally Konami's slaves at that point?

Kojima's a big fan of Keifer, so it was probably his idea. He's said the direction of the game's more serious tone affected his decision. While he didn't state it directly, MGSV moved away from tone that goes with the campiness of Hayter's Snake voice (at least where it eventually ended up a la Peacewalker).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I still maintain they should've just gotten John Cygan, Solidus was cool and having his voice come out of later-life Big Boss would've been cool as well.

WampaLord posted:

The Game of Thrones telltale game is better for having actors from the show in it.

"Better" is a real low bar to get over for that game though honestly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

New Butt Order posted:

The Game of Thrones telltale game is better for having actors from the show in it.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

New Butt Order posted:

Tim Curry in any videogame he has ever been in is probably the best part of said game.

...SPACE!

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Like in Toonstruck!

Which has a great cast all around really.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

I still maintain they should've just gotten John Cygan, Solidus was cool and having his voice come out of later-life Big Boss would've been cool as well.

Sadly, Cygan passed away about a month ago due to cancer.

They could have also brought Richard Doyle back (seeing as how he voices Big Boss at the end of MGS4).

Paladin posted:

Tim Curry in any videogame he has ever been in is probably the best part of said game.

...SPACE!

"What can you tell me about voodoo?"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

New Butt Order posted:

Kingdom Hearts has had the likes of Christopher Lee, Mark Hamill, Billy Zane Leonard Nimoy, fuckin James Woods and Gilbert Gottfried, etc. Being a Disney game sure helps matters.

I mean, the plot is still complete nonsense but that's entirely unrelated to the casting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

Canderous Ordo was in Metal Gear? He probably thought Metal Gear Rex was a basilisk war droid.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I don't know if this is 100% true but I heard that Venom actually had a lot more lines (recorded by Kiefer even!) that Kojima decided to cut with the purpose of making him more passive, or something like that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Augus posted:

Kingdom Hearts has had the likes of Christopher Lee

Had :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

Kingdom Hearts has had the likes of Christopher Lee, Mark Hamill, Billy Zane Leonard Nimoy, fuckin James Woods and Gilbert Gottfried, etc. Being a Disney game sure helps matters.

I mean, the plot is still complete nonsense but that's entirely unrelated to the casting.

Billy Zane as Ansem was the best part of the first Kingdom Hearts and the second was weaker for his absence. Richard Epcar and Paul St. Peter were just kind of phoning it in as Ansem/Xemnas/Xehanort/whatever in II, which sucks because they're both great VAs themselves.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The PS2' GTA games were chock full of star names, especially Vice City and San Andreas - and largely their performances were great too. Definitely worked fine, although Rockstar dropped all-star casts from IV onwards (still lots of big names on the radio as DJ's though)

Color Gray
Oct 10, 2005
BARF!
I was wondering when RLM was finally going to talk about Hollywood Cop.

Every day ends with a Tums festival!

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

Like in Toonstruck!

Which has a great cast all around really.

I feel like Toonstruck is an argument for the opposite, since most of the cast are best known as voice actors. It's a big part of what makes the game so fondly remembered.

Using character actors tends to work better than going "our lead is Ellen Page", too.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

The PS2' GTA games were chock full of star names, especially Vice City and San Andreas - and largely their performances were great too. Definitely worked fine, although Rockstar dropped all-star casts from IV onwards (still lots of big names on the radio as DJ's though)

I always wondered why they stopped doing that after San Andreas. I can only guess they realized that it was better to balance their budget more towards the game itself.

Actually, here's a fun bit of trivia: one of the characters in Vice City is voiced by Dennis Hopper, and while that may not seem remarkable considering the other big-name talent they got to star in the game, it's not actually the first game that Hopper was in. He had brief appearances two other games: Black Dahlia and Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller. All three of those games were published by Take2. The story goes that Dennis Hopper was golfing buddies with the president of Take2, and he asked Hopper if he'd be willing to be in a video game. Thing is, his appearances in all three games are extremely brief, and with the exception of Vice City, I think his appearance was only meant to be a selling point.

I don't know if we're including FMV games as part of discussion (it seems like we're focusing on voice acting), but there are a lot of cases where they were able to rope in celebrities to star or appear in the game. Ripper is good example (also published by Take2), but I can think of a lot more.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher 3 had Charles Dance in a quite understated role.
Mass Effect had Keith David and Lance Henrickson. And Seth Green of course. And Martin Sheen. Not exactly current top billed Hollywood a-listers at the moment but they all do a good job.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I doubt very much we're ever gonna get a cast as star studded as we got with Wing Commander. (I want to say 4 but I can't remember)

Though San Andreas came drat close.

Max Wilco posted:

I always wondered why they stopped doing that after San Andreas. I can only guess they realized that it was better to balance their budget more towards the game itself.

Which is a shame because half the reason Tenpenny was such a great antagonist was because Samuel Jackson was doing his voice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mass Effect had Keith David and Lance Henrickson. And Seth Green of course. And Martin Sheen. Not exactly current top billed Hollywood a-listers at the moment but they all do a good job.

I remember CD Projekt Red hyping the poo poo out of how they got Charles Dance for Witcher 3. That promo was like "look guys! We got Charles Dance in our game! And he's basically playing Tywin Lannister again!" meanwhile Chuck's all like "well, I guess I'm doing video games now..."

Also I'd add Tricia Helfer to that list for Mass Effect too. She's become fairly recognizable since her Battlestar Galactica days and BioWare hyped ME2 on "holy poo poo guys we got Tricia Helfer to voice our sexy robot this time!" as much as did on Sheen as the Illusive Man. Hell, there's been a few games hyped on "Tricia Helfer is in this one"; ME2, StarCraft II and Halo 3: ODST immediately come to mind.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Actually, here's a fun bit of trivia: one of the characters in Vice City is voiced by Dennis Hopper, and while that may not seem remarkable considering the other big-name talent they got to star in the game, it's not actually the first game that Hopper was in. He had brief appearances two other games: Black Dahlia and Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller. All three of those games were published by Take2. The story goes that Dennis Hopper was golfing buddies with the president of Take2, and he asked Hopper if he'd be willing to be in a video game. Thing is, his appearances in all three games are extremely brief, and with the exception of Vice City, I think his appearance was only meant to be a selling point.

I don't know if we're including FMV games as part of discussion (it seems like we're focusing on voice acting), but there are a lot of cases where they were able to rope in celebrities to star or appear in the game. Ripper is good example (also published by Take2), but I can think of a lot more.

I think budget was one part of it, but also wanting to go in a different direction - I think that because GTA IV was such a more serious and grounded story, they didn't want recognisable names. Not sure they could have gone much further with it after SA either - the game is stacked. There's Samuel L., of course, but as far as recognisable names go there's also James Woods, Peter Fonda, Ice-T, Charlie Murphy, Frank Vincent, MC Eiht, The Game, Clifton Powell, Chris Penn, David Cross, Debi Mazar, Faizon Love...Axl Rose, Chuck D. and George Clinton on the radio too. It's certainly up there as one of the most celeb-packed games ever.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Saints Row also had Burt Reynolds and Keith David as characters played by themselves, both of whom could become Homies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How can you guys forgot Michael Biehn playing Rex "Power" Colt!?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheMaestroso posted:

Kojima's a big fan of Keifer, so it was probably his idea. He's said the direction of the game's more serious tone affected his decision. While he didn't state it directly, MGSV moved away from tone that goes with the campiness of Hayter's Snake voice (at least where it eventually ended up a la Peacewalker).

From what I recall, he wanted to change his voice for Snake Eater, but it didn't pan out. I heard Hayter was genuinely upset about not even being contacted for MGSV.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

How can you guys forgot Michael Biehn playing Rex "Power" Colt!?

Or the last couple C&C games? Tricia Helfer, Michael Ironsides, Billy Dee Williams, George Takei, JK Simmons, Jonathan Pryce

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 22, 2017

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Takoluka posted:

From what I recall, he wanted to change his voice for Snake Eater, but it didn't pan out. I heard Hayter was genuinely upset about not even being contacted for MGSV.

Yeah he wanted Kurt Russel originally.

It would have been better if Hayter was kept separate from Big Boss from the beginning. The way it ended up, he had 3 voice actors who played BB by MGSV and Kojima used none of them.

It also begs the question why he didn't use Cygan in MGS4.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Genocyber posted:

I don't know if this is 100% true but I heard that Venom actually had a lot more lines (recorded by Kiefer even!) that Kojima decided to cut with the purpose of making him more passive, or something like that.

Completely true. There's a lot of unused dialogue in the games files, ranges from atmosphere lines, lines that would have played when you used the interface/menus, lines that clearly refer to game mechanics that were either never implemented or removed, and there's an entire side-arc that had Sutherland's voice work taken out, turning what were conversations into Big Boss just silently listening to another person talk to him.

Worth keeping in mind is that Kojima openly talked about how his inspiration for MGSV Big Boss was Mad Max, initially the one from Mad Max 2 but then he saw and obsessed over Fury Road mid production and swung even harder in that direction.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheMaestroso posted:

I think part/all of it probably has to do with (story spoilers) Venom Snake being a brainwashed imposter.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think part/all of it probably has to do with (story spoilers) Venom Snake being a brainwashed imposter.

That would make sense but it gets messed up by

Ground Zeroes

Ishmael and the prologue redux

The tape left for Venom

The Doublethink tape

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Since I've played most of the games people are pointing out, the lesson I have learned from this discussion is that I didn't notice the good voice actors because I was too busy enjoying the game to take note of the casting.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I saw Hollywood Cop at a bad film night at a local cinema, so this episode is wonderful.

New Vegas has a great cast of name voice actors, because they pick B and C list names who actually act, rather than reading lines. Zoe Bell is a little out of place because she uses her real accent, but she's fine. I do like spotting the main voice actors in games and cartoons who you hear repeatedly, like Robert Akin Downes and Jennifer Hale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sadly Matthew Perry and Chris Kristofferson don't bring their A-game, but then Perry got into the game because he was a fan of Fallout 3, and Kristofferson isn't really a voice actor at all. William Sadler on the other hand I didn't recognize at all until someone pointed it out, he is really good for the small bit he plays. And Rene Auberjonois is just fantastic as House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Matthewmatosis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5PdpsfINA

• Locked thread