Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Omnikin posted:

I was in the exact same boat- if you decide to stick with RS3 use the Revolution style of combat (auto-triggered abilities with some user input) and just use this handy-dandy link to set up your ability bar.

Thanks my man! Trying it right now, I have since finished all the F2P quests.

Thinking of biting the bullet for a membership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I like clicking on stuff while I listen to podcasts, do you think this or Guild Wars 2 would be the better option to just zone out for about 45 minutes after work each night?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
how do Broken Home huge lamps work? Does completing the challenges permanently upgrade the weekly lamps to huge or are they a one time thing? Are the challenges and the huge lamps themselves repeatable? If I fail the challenge, can I abort and retry or am I stuck with that playthrough for the week? Any tips for doing the third challenge in general other than memorizing the 1500 word "quick" guide beforehand?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

how do Broken Home huge lamps work? Does completing the challenges permanently upgrade the weekly lamps to huge or are they a one time thing? Are the challenges and the huge lamps themselves repeatable? If I fail the challenge, can I abort and retry or am I stuck with that playthrough for the week? Any tips for doing the third challenge in general other than memorizing the 1500 word "quick" guide beforehand?

After you complete all three challenges you permanently upgrade the reward lamp to a huge lamp. If you fail a challenge you can always retry, there's no time limit. You can also complete more than one challenge in a single run. Completing in under 37 minutes is easier if you have some notes handy, like an old school RPG or such.

If you see white smoke beneath a door, peek through the keyhole and exit, this will instantly dismiss the ghost from that room. You should only worry about damage and deaths when the windows explode and turn the hallways purple. Fortunately it will only hurt you for ~4000 damage during the entire run, if you have an idea about where you need to go and don't linger in the purple rooms.
The demon near the end is an instant kill, but it takes a couple of seconds for him to spawn and he always spawns in the part of the room you enter, so just run to the opposite door and exit/enter if he's in the way.
Spam click on the skeleton in the piano room, because it will sometimes interrupt the search and you won't get the item it's holding.

I made this on the day of release to keep track of gems and key locations, because the RS wiki guide was so loving bloated that I had a 37:30 run where I spent most of the time reading the guide.

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 20, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
i'm the security tool

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
4602 of 18k flax seems like a good spot to give up. il use this gold to do something hopefully more profitable.

Aside from that smithing table, Is there anything I can do with my current skills to gain decent money? Spinning Flax and Cannonballs can't be the only things I can do.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 21, 2017

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I assume Slayer is going to be the money maker in OSRS, same as RS3

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Robo Reagan posted:

I assume Slayer is going to be the money maker in OSRS, same as RS3
The real moneymaker is realizing that your time has value and playing something else instead.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If any of us valued our time none of us would be reading the RS thread on the dead gay something awful forums

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

The real moneymaker is realizing that your time has value and playing something else instead.

You can only play New Vegas so many times before you start missing the little trees you can click on

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

the best thing about runescape is that it's very similar to real life, all the good methods of making money through hard work are all immediately taken by lifeless husks controlled by one living entity

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
wow world 2 sure is cringy

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 23, 2017

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Turmoilx posted:

wow world 2 sure is cringy

No kidding. Trading the tiger shark legs for a head?? :chloe:

a fragile ego
Oct 19, 2014

This has probably been asked before but is there an active friends chat on OSRS for SA or just rs3? I hate playing the game without anyone to talk to and all of the online friends chats I find are 50% anime and 50% people saying cuck.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Father posted:

50% anime and 50% people saying cuck.

Welcome to the Something Awful Internet Comedy Forums.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Father posted:

This has probably been asked before but is there an active friends chat on OSRS for SA or just rs3? I hate playing the game without anyone to talk to and all of the online friends chats I find are 50% anime and 50% people saying cuck.
Not really, AFAIK. OSRS is miserable compared to RS3. I'm sure there's a few people who play Classic, though.

Edit This is also the point where I yell at y'all about the bystander effect, cause I still haven't gotten invited.

a fragile ego
Oct 19, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Not really, AFAIK. OSRS is miserable compared to RS3. I'm sure there's a few people who play Classic, though.

Edit This is also the point where I yell at y'all about the bystander effect, cause I still haven't gotten invited.

I just wanted a clean slate w/ skill levels and whatever without having to pay for a new account on rs3. Also there's the nostalgia factor, you know. I just hate most of the people who play the game.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I just wish OSRS wasn't so... OS.

I came back when dungeoneering came out and played for a bit before putting it down and I kinda miss that one. It was very fun and interesting

Dizz fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 26, 2017

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Some of the guides in the op are really outdated and were pretty overdue for a new thread so over the next...probably month or so? I'm going to be re-writting a majority of the guides, making some new ones and things along those lines. So with out further ado...

What Is Invention?

quote:

(From the wiki) Invention is a skill which allows players to disassemble items and obtain new materials. These can be used to manufacture newly discovered devices and augment a variety of high-level weapons, armour, and tools, enhancing them with perks.

Okay, that sounds kind of interesting, how do I start?
Invention is runescapes first attempt at an "elite skill", it is unlocked after you reach level 80 in Crafting, Smithing, and Divination. It is also worth noting because this is an "elite" skill that it goes up to level 120 instead of 99. While these requirements are annoying to reach if your just starting out invention as a whole is very easy to train and provides a wide variety of benefits ranging from improving your general day to day runescape actives to buffing your damage or experience gains. There are also several niche perks that do things like spawn cabbages into your inventory randomly or make you hallucinate but we will touch more on perks later in this post.

Alright I have all those skills how do I start invention?
To start invention you need to visit the invention guild. Just go to the Falador Lodestone, go north east and enter the door just before the dwarven mines. I've drawn a map for all of you visual learners.

Once you get there, talk to the only NPC inside, named [b[Doc[/b]. Now normally I'd recommend listening and reading to everything he says as he covers all the basics of invention but honestly this guide is going to cover the basics a lot better than the guide will so do whatever you feel like. When Doc has you assemble a blueprint, keep playing around with it until its perfect, inspiration is very important at lower levels. It may also help to read about blueprints down below.

What are the basics of Invention?
Invention is not an inherently easy skill to understand, there are a lot of things to cover so I'm going to do my best to explain them all.

Disassembly
Clicking on your spellbook under the skilling tab there are 2 icons in the upper left, an eyeball and a lightbulb. The eye lets you see what you would get if you disassembled an item. The lightbulb destroys the item, giving you components back. Components are good your going to want lots of them. Some rare or unique items give you special components that let you build very strong perks, more on that later.

Blueprints -Blueprints are used to unlock components and items you can create in invention. Components or Invention items are "discovered" at a certain level and you use inspiration you gain from levels to unlock the ability to create them or use them. Some of them are lasting effects that do things like reduce the drain rate on items you are wearing or reduce the junk chance when disassembling an item. There are a large variety of things to discover but be sure not to use too much of your inspiration especially at lower levels. There is a bit of a minigame where you have to put random parts in the middle so just put everything on there until they all stick there is no penalty for failure here. The second screen involves moving the parts from the previous screen around until you get them all in the right order and it says perfect. You can hand in before perfect however that is seriously not recommended. The first thing you are going to want to do after completing the tutorial is research the ability to level items to 5.

Inspiration -Inspiration is given randomly by doing any activity in runescape that generates experience. It's the currency you use to unlock things for invention and a lot of the things you want are going to cost a lot of inspiration so be careful with it. When researching at the workbench never complete the minigame without "perfect" being the score, you need to save all the inspiration you can. Inspiration is also capped per level.

The Workbench - This is where all the magic of invention happens. There are several located around runescape in places such as the invention guild, Keldigrim, varrock, Ardounge, and Seer's vilalge. Half of the bench is for discovering new inventions and the other half is for building already discovered ones.

Divine Charges - These things are effectively batteries that power all of your invention devices. You can make them with simple parts and divination energy and you are going to need a lot of them however they are tradable.

Gizmos- Gizmos come in 3 types; Weapon, Armor, and Tool. Some perks can only be attached to certain gizmos. You can feed components from disassembly into them to create perks that you can use to improve and give effects to your weapons and armor as well as tools.

Augmentors- Only augmented tools, weapons, and armor can accept gizmo's and also only augmented gear can gain invention experience. Augmenting also makes your piece of gear untradable. Can remove augment from gear using an augment dissolver but that also destroys the gizmos attached.

Fishomatic - An augmentable fishing rod you can unlock and build at 22 invention. It opens the floodgates to afk skilling invention training.

Perks
Perks are the main reason you want to bother with invention, and there are a lot of them, 74 to be exact but not all of them are good. I'm going to do a lot of the legwork for you and break down which perks you want, what they do, and the best way to get them. The higher level your invention, the easier it is to get some perks so if you find yourself failing give it a few levels and try again. Some perks are also fairly pricey per attempt so be warned. I'll break perks down into a few categories. Be sure to check out Equilibrium and Precise specifically as together they can boost your damage by 9.875% which is absolutely huge.

General pvm/slayer
Aftershock

quote:

After dealing 50,000 damage, create an explosion centered on your current target, dealing up to 40% per rank weapon damage to nearby enemies.
Although it is a bit pricey given that it can only be made with components from gwd2 Zaros items it generally does quite a bit of damage on slayer tasks and bosses and it just all around a great perk.

Crackling

quote:

Periodically zaps your combat target for 50% per rank of your weapon's damage (or 10% per rank in PvP). (1 minute cooldown)
Crackling is a very very good perk more so because it can be combined with a ton of other perks, and it comes from Hand cannon namely which are pretty easy to get yourself in large numbers.

Demon Slayer

quote:

Deal 7% additional damage to demons
This one is pretty self-explanatory. It's good if you find yourself doing demon tasks or going to zammy boss as well as a few other miscellaneous places. It's not terribly expensive either so long as you stick to clear or dexterous components.

Dragon Slayer

quote:

Deal +7% damage to dragons.
Same as demon slayer pretty much with the difference being a 7% damage boost at Queen Black Dragon instead of zammy boss. Also cheaper and easier to get as you only need to disassemble Dragonfire sheilds and the perk chance is 100% with dragonfire components. If you feel like mixing things up you can try and get something with it if you use the combinations below.

Undead Slayer

quote:

Deal 7% additional damage to undead.
Same as the above 2 albeit not as useful. Try living or undead components if you really need it. It also stacks with Salve amulet.

Efficient

quote:

Charge drain rate for this item is reduced by 6% per rank.
If you find yourself spending too much for divine charges or your using higher tier items augmented there is an argument to use Efficient. Enhanced efficent isn't worth it as it takes up 2 perk slots but 1 slot for effeicnt 3 on your armor is a reasonable choice. If you are on a budget Healthy components extracted from disassembling food are your best option, if you are higher level and don't mind dropping some money or time your options are shifting components (from chaotic wepaonry) or ascension components(From ascension weaponry and gear).

Equilibrium

quote:

Increases minimum hit by 3% per rank, and decreases maximum hit by 1% per rank.
Now let me tell you. You want Equilibrium. I know reading the description it doesn't seem like much but trust me, it stacks with the next perk which will significantly increase your damage. Until 99 invention you cant get rank 3 but rank 2 is still a pretty hefty damage increase stacked with the next perk. Rank 3 comes from rumbling components which come from barrows armor. So assuming because you are reading this you aren't 99 you are going to want to get rank 2 with precise components which really wont set you back a lot.

Precise

quote:

Increases your minimum damage by 1.5% per rank of your maximum damage.
Now precise on it's own is a great perk, but don't forget that it also stacks with equilibrium pretty significantly reducing your damage. You can get ranks 1 to 4 pretty easily with precise components but to get rank 5 your going to have to disassemble some Armadyl armor, or arma warpiest which is cheaper but arguably harder to get.

Genocidal

quote:

Deal up to 7% extra damage depending on how far you are through your Slayer task.
If you plan on doing any slayer genocidal is a really great perk, the damage boost stacks with slayer helm and makes the task go by a bit faster. I would reccomend getting a few bandos components and trying to get biting 1-2 with it.

Scavanging

quote:

1% chance per rank to get an uncommon Invention component as a drop from combat (with a 1% chance it will be a rare component instead).
5 precious components, 3 is VERY rare so try and get 2.

VenomBlood

quote:

Regular poison damage is negated.
(Arnor)Self Explanatory, try healthy or evasive components.

Trophy Takers

quote:

3% chance per rank a slain creature will add zero kills to its Slayer assignment; 2% chance per rank it will add 2 kills.
This one is up to personal preference. On averages out to about a 1% increase to slayer task per rank, I use it but I can understand why others do not. Try using either powerful or variable components.

Mobile

quote:

Reduces cooldown of Surge, Escape, Bladed Dive and Barge by 50%, but these abilities no longer generate adrenaline.
Gets you around faster, gotta go fast. Use dexterous components.

Great for bossing/amazing at higher end bosses
Biting

quote:

+2% chance per rank to critically hit opponents.
Biting is really really good at high end bosses and in combination with Precise. The major downside to Biting is the cost as you can only get it by breaking down t90 noxious weapons.

Well the above applies to biting 3 specifically at least...You see you can still get<and should> biting 1 or 2 in combination of other perks, and significantly cheaper, use any of these armor material combinations. The best one is the bottom that comes with genocidal, this is seriously one of the best perk combinations you can get, you want this.

Devoted

quote:

3% chance per rank on being hit that protection prayers will work at 100% (or 75% in PvP) for 3 seconds.
(armor)Devoted is a really big perk for high and mid level bossing where soulsplit isn't a viable option, it saves you a considerable amount of food and devoted 3 toggles a lot more often than it seems it would. A must have for Telos and raids and several other high and mid end options. Enhanced Devotion is not worth the 2 slots it takes up however. Devoted comes from either warpiest gwd armor or gwd1 armour disassembling components so depending on how you go about it it may not cost a lot.

Lucky

quote:

0.5% chance per rank when hit that the damage dealt will be reduced to 1. Does not stack with the equivalent Warpriest effect.
(armor)Lucky is effectively a .5% damage reduction per rank and is a great armor perk for that very reason, it will save you a ton of food at bosses and occasionally save you from large hits. Made from fortionate components which before the luck ring update were under 1k each but not are 1m each, probably better to do clues and disassemble for your own components.

Absorptive

quote:

20% chance to reduce an attack by 5% per rank.
(armor)Effective 1% damage reduction per rank, all around very useful. Fungle components are the best way to get this!

Skilling
BreakDown

quote:

Has a 20% chance per rank of automatically disassembling items produced.
BreakDown makes smithing/fletching/other skilling for breakdown materials viable, this has a lot of very good uses and isnt too expensive to make.

Furnace

quote:

Has a 5% chance per rank of consuming a gathered resource for an extra 100% XP
Not much to say here other than furnace works out to a straight 5%/10%/15% exp boost at whatever you are skilling at. Getting rank 1 or 2 isn't too bad but 3 will just requite some rng and or dragonfire components. Probably stick to imbued though.

Honed

quote:

Has a 2% per rank higher chance of successfully gathering items.
Honed is really great for any skilling, honed 5 is actually better than a few of the aura's and always active. Honed 5 is sadly pretty hard to get but with sharp components you can generally get 3 or 4 without spending a considerable amount.

Imp Souled

quote:

Has a 3% chance per rank on successful gathering to send the gathered resources to the bank at a cost of 30 prayer points.
Basic usefulness and somewhat situational but worth mentioning. Swift components seem to be your best bet without breaking the bank but zamorak/zaros components are also an option for rank 5.

Polishing

quote:

Has a 3% chance per rank of transmuting a gathered resource to a higher tier.
Fortionate components are your best bet.

Prosper

quote:

Allows you to find clue scrolls whilst skilling.
Stave or Evasive components.

Pyromaniac

quote:

Has a 0.1% chance per rank of burning all logs of the same type in the inventory.
Explosive or light components

Rapid

quote:

Has a 5% chance per rank to carry out work at a faster pace.
enhancing shifting or light components

Refined

quote:

Has a 5% chance per rank of preventing a resource depleting when gathering.
5 enhancing or 5 resilient components

Wise

quote:

While equipped, +1% per rank additional experience, up to 50,000 XP per day.
Pretty self explanatory, stick with either seren components or pious components.

Tinker

quote:

Has a 5% chance per rank to carry out higher quality work, awarding an extra 25% XP
1.25% effective exp increase per rank. Fungal or clockwork components.

Situationally useful
Brassican

quote:

Always sometimes cabbages.
Free cabbages straight to your inventory what more could you possibly ask for??? Come from fortionate components (TT items) and Brassican components (cabbages).

Caroming

quote:

Chain and Ricochet hit 1 extra target per rank.
This is pretty self explanatory, if your in a situation where you need to use chain or ricochet or you just like using them then this perk has some use for you! The slight downside is the cost.

Crystal Shield

quote:

Has a 10% chance to activate on taking damage, lasting 10 seconds. 5% of damage taken per rank is totaled for this period, becoming temporary lifepoints afterwards. These last either 30 seconds or until depleted through further damage. (1 minute cooldown)
This perk isnt bad, but in most situations it isn't particularly amazing either. don't get me wrong it certainly has it's uses but in the majority of situations it's just sort of meh. On the bright side it's not overly expensive.

Enlightened

quote:

+3% item XP per rank (for the item it's installed on).
Enlightened is generally an okay perk if your willing to give up a slot for some faster invention exp. Getting rank 1 or 2 wont set you back massively, but rank 3 requires seren components which means disassembling crystal equipment.

Hoarding

quote:

Protect Item protects two items instead of one. (Does not work in PvP areas.)
If you find yourself dying a lot hoarding is useful. Also you can get it from spiritual components which are common and a bunch of other cheap components. Not game breaking but an all around nice thing to have if you have a slot to fill.

Woah that was a lot of information, I'm not sure what to make of all of this but what should I do now?
You are going to want to get your invention as high as possible before you attempt any of the great perks so let's talk about training invention. Everything that is augmented can gain invention experience when you use it. In order to get that invention experience out you need to either siphon it out with a divine siphon <purchasable out of the ge> or disassemble it. The drawback to the siphon is that it gives you 2 levels of experience under what it would if you disassembled it.

Okay, if the tutorial didn't get you level 4 disassemble some random junk in your bank like unstrung bows or whatever junk you have laying around until you hit 4. Once you are level 4 immediately go to the nearest workbench and research the ability to level augmented item up to level 5. If you used the augmenter the tutorial made you make quickly make a new one. Next go to the ge and pick up either a staff of light or a black salamander+harr tar ammo and slap the augmenter on it.

Optionally you can use a weapon gizmo perk or 2 and throw some perks on it but that is completely up to you. If you don't have the level for either the Staff of light or salamander, find a t70 or t75 weapon your fine destroying.

Now that you have your augmented weapon equip it and right click "check" on it in your worn it should look something like this:

The maximum level of any item is currently 20 though at the moment there is no reason to go past 12. As you level invention you'll unlock the ability to level weapons more and more.

Current exp is the amount of exp the weapon, tool, or armor has gained, think of it as stored invention experience.

Charge drain is how many of my divine charges are being used per second of using the item. Simply having the item equipped wont drain charges.

The bottom 2 slots are for gizmo's. Tool gizmo's in this case. Different item's have a different number of gizmo slots open to them. Tool's all have 2 as well as all 2 handed weapons and armor top and bottoms, however 1h weapons and shields only have 1 gizmo slot each allotted to them.

The final section in the top right is different if you have more than 1 augmented item equipped. By default it shows the total drain rate for all you items created, charges stored and how long before you need to buy more divine charges. The toggle at the top lets you switch between everything you are wearing and the specific item you clicked check on.

Okay thanks for the information what now?
Go level whatever weapon you augmented to level 5, killing mid to high level slayer monsters or whatever you feel like killing. Getting an item to level 5 wont take you long. After you do, disassemble it for a free experience drop that should get you to level 22. From level 22 you can make your first real choice, you can build up another salamander or staff of light to 5 and disassemble it or you can
researcha nd build one of the skilling things you just unlocked and train that skill until you hit item level 5.

Either way you should hit 27 after the next disassembly and instantly rush to a workbench so you can unlock the ability to level items to 10.

From here the route you take is really up to you. Pick the perks I recommended whenever you feel ready for them or as they interest you and continue to either skill or combat your way to 120 invention buying or making divine charges all along the way. I don't intend this guide to go into in depth high level invention training so best of luck you all and happy scaping!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
A small note on the blueprint minigame, since it helped me a great deal: the rating you get for each permutation indicates how close you are to perfect. When you see "excellent" appear, it means you're one swap out from perfect. Keep trying swaps and if you don't get perfect, undo the change until find the right permutation!

Some guides out there suggest systematically trying each possibility until you get it right, but there's 125 possible ways to set them so that will be extremely time consuming.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I logged on yesterday and made a f2p Hardcore Ironman just to run around on for the first time since they closed Darkscape. God drat that game was beautiful.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

jiggerypokery posted:

I logged on yesterday and made a f2p Hardcore Ironman just to run around on for the first time since they closed Darkscape. God drat that game was beautiful.

It really was such a great game version even with it's flaws.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I never got to play it, myself. It sounds amazing.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I think the reason the flaws frustrated people so much was because it was such unbelievable fun that the niggles just stood out that much more. It really was amazing.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Broken home challenge run status: Killed by loading screen lag spike on the monster's very first appearance. I love living in a town with exactly one ISP that also happens to suck.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

okay this has been happening a couple of times and it's always inconvenient so I'm gonna state the best way to set gathering goals on citadel for those able to set them (silver keys and silver crosses [and hinze])

Any resource that is required to make upkeep needs to have its goal set to whatever the upkeep is and no more. These skills should also be set to lock on target, so that people know to move on to other plots when that one is done. Someone is setting the upkeep goals to strange amounts, usually much more than upkeep requires.

Here, we see that only 3595 logs are required to meet upkeep. For some reason however, the resource target was set to 5595, 2000 more than required. This is unnecessary and only serves to waste time and resources meeting arbitrary goals that can be placed towards other plots.

Secondly, plots that contribute to the creation of bars (ores and charcoal) do not need to be locked on target, because they will be consumed while bars are actually being made. This means you would have to create unnecessary amounts of material in order to fulfill an unnecessary goal. Setting resource goals is okay if you want to keep track of how many of these resources are needed to make upkeep, but you shouldn't make these lock on target. More than once I've had to come in to cit and unlock everything manually because we hadn't met the goal on charcoal or something so nothing would unlock automatically.

Which brings me to my last point: when all resource targets set to lock are met, every plot should unlock automatically so people can then skill whatever they want. This is intended behavior, and when everything is set correctly should always happen after upkeep is met. Setting arbitrarily high goals and setting locks on charcoal and ore blocks that from happening and is frustrating to everyone.

If you have any questions on how and what to set resource goals to please let me know! I really don't want to keep coming in every week and resetting it manually when I don't have to.

Voyaging
Sep 5, 2014

loudog999 posted:

I like clicking on stuff while I listen to podcasts, do you think this or Guild Wars 2 would be the better option to just zone out for about 45 minutes after work each night?

Both Old School RuneScape and RuneScape 3 are excellent choices for this. There are all sorts of activities that are rewarding but have very low attention requirements.

I personally like playing OSRS for this just because it's a better game IMO, but RS3 has more AFK-viable activities and is still very fun.

Guild Wars 2 generally requires more attention, I would assume. That would be more if you want to focus on a game for that period rather than multitask. But it's an excellent game as well.

Voyaging fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 6, 2017

Swicky
Dec 29, 2013

DAY MAN
AHH AHH AHHHHHHH
FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT MAN
AHH AHH AHHHHHHH
He's a master of karate and friendship, for everyone
THE KING IS BACK

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83YJoWTPWIU

All 2017 expansions cancelled, returning to more frequent updates and finishing 5th age stuff and other unfinished things, like Invention.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Afraid of making content seem sparse. Let's stop new content. I know where they are going, but imo this in my experience tends to be an excuse to slow down on content in general.

Edit: Also we are worried about creating expectations of what fixes can come from our cutback on new development. So no time tables. :wtc:

Elmon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 8, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Hey we really need people to do citadel. We're like 50 hours away from the next tick and the only thing that's actually finished is cloth. And the visit count says we only had 6 visitors this week.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Dizz posted:

I just wish OSRS wasn't so... OS.

I came back when dungeoneering came out and played for a bit before putting it down and I kinda miss that one. It was very fun and interesting

Raids

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Not exactly accessible though given to get on a team that can even get to the end boss without rage quitting/dying and constantly needing to restock you need some high end gear and at least 100 raid kc before any real team would even consider taking you...

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm waiting for them to release more raids that aren't intended for top-tier skills and gear, there's no way I'll ever be able to take on liberation

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I'm somewhat interested in coming back to Runescape, at what point should I subscribe as a member? I've never been a member before but I know that it has most of the content and would probably make the game fun. (or more fun)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Outside of farming up 60m gold to buy bonds for a pack of alts, is there any way to do the quests that require me to play Pest Control first? I'm the only person there on both #2 and the two dedicated worlds.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Asehujiko posted:

Outside of farming up 60m gold to buy bonds for a pack of alts, is there any way to do the quests that require me to play Pest Control first? I'm the only person there on both #2 and the two dedicated worlds.

Wait until a PC weekend

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

lucifirius posted:

I'm somewhat interested in coming back to Runescape, at what point should I subscribe as a member? I've never been a member before but I know that it has most of the content and would probably make the game fun. (or more fun)

i just started an osrs account and i haven't subscribed yet but you get like 30 levels for doing the waterfall quest at level 1 and you can basically skip the horrible awful early game grind with one quest if you're a member so you should probably just do that first

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Back in the game.

It's hard to believe what you can forget after 11 years. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Over There posted:

Back in the game.

It's hard to believe what you can forget after 11 years. :toot:

Like 60% of the games has changed a bunch in the past 11 years, even if you did something silly and went on OSRS. So remembering what was there in 2006 isn't very helpful. :v: