Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

YOU DIED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I brought my Wii U to my parent's house while my brother was staying over and now my dad is hooked on Yoshi's Wooly World and Captain Toad. Are there other good dadgames for the system? He's not good at video games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bayonetta 1&2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

Are there other good dadgames for the system? He's not good at video games.

If he likes Yoshi's Wooly World then take a look at Kirby's Epic Yarn.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in my experience dads like blast corps minecraft and pubg

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sakurazuka posted:

Bayonetta 1&2

Dark Souls

wait, poo poo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

have you considered a song of ice and fire by george rr martin

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

in my experience dads like blast corps minecraft and pubg

Wow the dads in your life have pretty good taste

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Found out about Sega Forever from another thread and despite emulation on Android being really easy I'm unreasonably excited about it

Hey, maybe I'll finally finish that piece of poo poo Kid Chameleon, and end what I started when I rented a genesis from Blockbuster once 25 years ago.
I kinda hope they'll add Shining in the Darkness to this list eventually too, since I didn't finish that either, but I'll probably just have to set up an emulator or get it on Steam.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wow the dads in your life have pretty good taste

yeah was really into maniac mansion too i think but i would have been too young to really remember. i'm pretty sure he played a lot of sierra and lucasarts stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only game my dad ever played was PipeMania, aka the Bioshock hacking mini game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is my great shame to admit that my dad is a noob casual who has barely played any video games in his lifetime.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Considering the WiiU has access to like all of the Nintendo games ever made, maybe look at classic Mario, Yoshi's Island?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It only has the GBA port of Yoshi's Island, which is like okay but not the same

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

No wife, no horse, no mustache.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It only has the GBA port of Yoshi's Island, which is like okay but not the same

I've only played Mario 3, Mario 64 and Pikmin 1/2 from the Nintendo Store but I sort of just assumed all of the first party games were on there. That's weird.

I remember being really mad I couldn't buy Banjo Kazooie on it but I guess that's on Xbox for some reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yoshi's Island used some proprietary chip tech that they would have to pay to renew their license on if they wanted to rerelease it or something. Which is why all the digital versions have been the inferior GBA port

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah there's no VC games that use the Super FX chip because they have to pay the guy who designed it more money.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's also why OG Star Fox has never popped up on anything.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

as if today's consoles could replicate Mode 7

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

suuma posted:

I remember being really mad I couldn't buy Banjo Kazooie on it but I guess that's on Xbox for some reason

you've been in a coma for 15 years

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And Stunt Racer FX because everyone remembers that, it's not just me haha

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Surely the patents on that should be expiring soon?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

In Training posted:

the inferior GBA port

I always see people say this but I really don't see what's so bad about the GBA port. Like the only major thing I notice is that the Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy effect is done differently. It still plays fantastically otherwise. I've seen people say it doesn't look or sound as good but it looks and sounds good to me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The voices they give Yoshi (and Link in LttP) are intolerable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

Surely the patents on that should be expiring soon?

Argonaut designed the chip and licensed it to Nintendo so I don't think patent stuff applies if they own it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Any downgrade to the music of Yoshi's Island is an abomination.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

remember when yoshi had some cool beatbox drum machine voice. and also toad's mario party/mario kart voice

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

raditts posted:

Hey, maybe I'll finally finish that piece of poo poo Kid Chameleon, and end what I started when I rented a genesis from Blockbuster once 25 years ago.
I kinda hope they'll add Shining in the Darkness to this list eventually too, since I didn't finish that either, but I'll probably just have to set up an emulator or get it on Steam.

Shining worked real smoothly when I got it on Steam.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nate RFB posted:

The voices they give Yoshi (and Link in LttP) are intolerable.

I always liked the Yoshi voice instead of the beejshoo

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

oddium posted:

remember when yoshi had some cool beatbox drum machine voice. and also toad's mario party/mario kart voice

Drum sample Yoshi is the real Yoshi. The one who says his own name is a foul imposter, and is possibly one of the bad Pokémon.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Okay the Yoshi who says his own name is the real Yoshi but it creeps me out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is Yoshi a Pokémon?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

In Training posted:

Is Yoshi a Pokémon?

I don't know. He could be. Mario isn't a human. The world is a hosed up place.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i almost made this joke but then i checked and it was real

https://youtu.be/CVxSsxGgXwg

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

SEGA forever was done in Unity and runs the emulation badly, averaging 45fps with wild swings, also notifications mess up performance even more.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

normal brain: is yoshi a pokemon

glowing brain: is sonic a pokemon

universe brain: is deoxys a pokemon

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe pokemon is pokemon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

SEGA forever was done in Unity and runs the emulation badly, averaging 45fps with wild swings, also notifications mess up performance even more.

I can't imagine playing them on your phone/tablet workable anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

oddium posted:

you've been in a coma for 15 years

I mean yeah I actually owned BK on my 360 but why can't I also get it on the Nintendo store :smith:

• Locked thread