Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Remember how strict xml was going to be the future of the internet/web/everything, people would buy like four books on document type definitions

then web "developers" ruined the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrTBlV-FGbc

in this skit eric idle will be played by prescription drug abuse

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mod saas posted:

has there ever been a successful deirdre. all the ones i've known have been similar terrible

never underestimate an early mind worms rush

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mod saas posted:

has there ever been a successful deirdre. all the ones i've known have been similar terrible

My first and second grade teacher was named Deirdre and she was very good but then she got some kind of horrible disease and had to quit teaching. :(

So I guess that probably doesn't count as successful

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

never underestimate an early mind worms rush

self-fulfilling prophecy

Deirdre (Irish pronunciation: [ˈdʲɛɾˠdʲɾʲə]; Old Irish: Derdriu /ˈderʲðrʲĭŭ/) is the foremost tragic heroine in Irish legend and probably its best-known figure in modern times. She is known by the epithet "Deirdre of the Sorrows" (Irish: Deirdre an Bhróin).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pryor on Fire posted:

Remember how strict xml was going to be the future of the internet/web/everything, people would buy like four books on document type definitions

for a long time I didn't understand what was happening. it's just a data serialization format, why is everyone talking about it like it does something? i was young and naive and didn't realize these people were just huffing each other's farts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they should have sat you down and explained it to you instead. then maybe the web wouldn't be so lovely

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

yeah they should have sat you down and explained it to you instead. then maybe the web wouldn't be so lovely

shags has a point

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sure, json is slowly and poorly reinventing xml, and people only use it because javascript, like ugh guys xml is complicated i don't want to think that hard.

then again, xml slowly and poorly reinvented asn.1 in text form, and people only use it because the web, like ugh you mean i HAVE to write a schema???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if i really want to get close to the metal should i stick with node.js or get really into the depths of xml?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

JewKiller 3000 posted:

sure, json is slowly and poorly reinventing xml,
https://jsonfeed.org/

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

all that is old is new again

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
gently caress xml viva json

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Triglav posted:

gently caress xml viva json

why?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
really?

mods?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
web "developers" cant articulate why they like json other than thats what their other web "developer" friends like.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

web "developers" cant articulate why they like json other than thats what their other web "developer" friends like.
it's because there's more parsers for json in npm than there are for xml, so how would anyone even know how to start using xml

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
.eval should be good enough for everyone. :mrgw:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

syscall girl posted:

She is known by the epithet "Deirdre of the Sorrows" (Irish: Deirdre an Bitcoin).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
on a side note: you ever meet a bitcoin fanboy irl?

or see that someone has printed out stickers and put them up to evangelize

the one bitcoin guy i met was trying to get a thing going where he had a desalinization scheme*

i jokingly told him maybe try stark industries and then got kind of forklempft and suggested maybe the bill and melinda gates foundation likes that sort of thing

*may or may not have involved perpetual motion but the IDEA of using the sun to make seawater into potable is a good one

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

I'm not a web developer but xml is just a mess of <>s and impossible to read at a glance and also has the closure issue where oops you missed one / somewhere, good luck bitch

good luck trying to read server.xml to find that typo that's preventing your tomcat instance from working right, might as well go hang yourself if there's no local syntax highlighting installed

json otoh is cool and good and easily read

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
web developers just want to pass structs and arrays of strings, numbers, dates and they control the client and the server
xml is overkill for that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

most poo poo in the xml sphere was underthought and overengineered, making for a lot of fantastically clunky stuff with the primary purpose of making sure software threw errors on bad input rather than risking doing something unintentionally correct

the web got a bit messy by development being again by relative amateurs after a decade of neglect, but the primary cause of the neglect was that the w3c spent that decade trying to convince people that browsers should not incrementally render since they'd risk interpreting a document that turned out to not be ~~strictly correct~~

and the above is just complaining about the surface stuff which could with a bit of effort be argued to possibly serve some purpose, we then have to painfully recall the loving semantic web and owl and all of that hugely misdirected effort

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

btw json is poo poo too, should have gone with a relational format for interchange, as nasty as sql is defining a subset for the web would have been sweet. did some rather hacked up services for a b2b scenario by replicating our databases, setting up a view of the info the service should expose, and using database permission system to lock the service user onto those views, and just had them jdbc in across the internet without bothering to ever write a messy xml/soap/web layer where we would have constrained how the data could be queried for no reason

not exactly scalable, but the sql solution we used was an ancient battle-tested thing, and i have little doubt that us wrapping it in something would have been far more likely to gently caress up security/scalability than just letting it do its thing directly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I'm not a web developer but xml is just a mess of <>s and impossible to read at a glance and also has the closure issue where oops you missed one / somewhere, good luck bitch

good luck trying to read server.xml to find that typo that's preventing your tomcat instance from working right, might as well go hang yourself if there's no local syntax highlighting installed

json otoh is cool and good and easily read

Linux not having working text editors isn't a failing of xml. also you'd get just as much symbol soup in a server.json but without the benefit of schema.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Reasons that I like JSON: It is fine.

Reasons that I like XML: It is fine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tk posted:

Reasons that I like JSON: It is fine.

Reasons that I like XML: It is fine.

quick hint

colon tif colon

:tif:

saves the keystrokes

ufarn
May 30, 2009
lol if you dont use yaml

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
lol if you use a markup language whose name is "yet another markup language"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

Linux not having working text editors isn't a failing of xml. also you'd get just as much symbol soup in a server.json but without the benefit of schema.
luv 2 construct xpaths rather than clean array[number]s, also luv to be forced to use use byte-compiled poo poo like nokogiri cuz native parsers are too slow in this apparently cool and good format used for transporting and translating data

e: yaml is good, mostly. The convention for :item: being a ruby symbol is a :wtc: hack tho

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2017

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ufarn posted:

lol if you dont use yaml

this but literally the opposite

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xpath is great for when you want to find specific nodes and when you are iterating nodes xml works the same as json.

also lol that you're using ruby. double lol @ yaml.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

xpath is great for when you want to find specific nodes and when you are iterating nodes xml works the same as json.

also lol that you're using ruby. double lol @ yaml.

the problem with xpath is it was designed for well formed xml and nobody writes well formed xml.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all my xml is well formed.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every time i have to deal with some json api theres a moment where the realization hits me that im gonna have to build the client and models myself and it makes me sad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
misery is other peoples code

or code you forgot you wrote

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

misery is other peoples code

or code you forgot you wrote

*nods sagely*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bhodi posted:

luv 2 construct xpaths rather than clean array[number]s

you're free to dump xml to a stupid hash

xpath is just much easier to work with than trying to pick through an eleventy-billion depth tree

Bhodi posted:

also luv to be forced to use use byte-compiled poo poo like nokogiri cuz native parsers are too slow in this apparently cool and good format used for transporting and translating data

neither xml nor json was designed to be fast to parse

xml, however, is feature-complete and handles all of the annoying corner cases in a language-independent document format. so it is much more practical to use an off-the-shelf c++ library than try to implement your own 100% complete, correct xml library for every god drat scripting language

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

this but literally the opposite

yaml is unbelievably bad and awful

mod saas posted:

*nods sagely*

stop it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i legit think next time i have this problem and the opportunity to do so i will send a sqlite database over the wire, it is entirely trivial to do, and the format is portable

• Locked thread