Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

at last, now I'll have a REASON to scream Galick Gun at the top of my lungs.

I want optional mic integration that makes shouting move names increase their power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I watched maxamillion dudes thoughts on fighter z and he was noting that the fighters felt very samey. I really hope there is some individuality between them, as that is what ruined extreme butoden on the 3DS for me :(

That's not what he said (and that's not his name). He said that every character has the same basic inputs, but how they actually play is different, which honestly is the best way to go in my opinion. It stops the game from being unneccesarily complex (especially for a fandom whose most complex title was Super Dragon Ball Z, which didn't have nearly as many players as the more simplistic Budokai, Tenkaichi and Xenoverse series) while keeping every character unique and, hopefully, fun.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Needlessly complicated inputs and combo string memorization is what kept me away from fighting games for the longest time so the further they deviate from that the better imo.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's not what he said (and that's not his name). He said that every character has the same basic inputs, but how they actually play is different, which honestly is the best way to go in my opinion. It stops the game from being unneccesarily complex (especially for a fandom whose most complex title was Super Dragon Ball Z, which didn't have nearly as many players as the more simplistic Budokai, Tenkaichi and Xenoverse series) while keeping every character unique and, hopefully, fun.

First off, he spells his name like a 2 year old, and I'm not partaking in perpetuating that.

Otherwise though, I listened to the video at work while doing other stuff so I'm not surprised I missed a nuance.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

First off, he spells his name like a 2 year old, and I'm not partaking in perpetuating that.

Otherwise though, I listened to the video at work while doing other stuff so I'm not surprised I missed a nuance.

Maximilian is his actual first name what are you even talking about, it's not like a weirdly spelled play on "maximum million" or something

But yeah it breaks down as: same combo inputs, similar outcome(launcher, follow-up, etc), but different moves throughout. I'm sure different characters will have different strings be more or less useful, but this is a smart way to make the game more accessible without​ actually dumbing things down at all

As someone who's biggest stumbling block to playing fighting games is just remembering how to execute combos it sounds really great

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Maximilian is his actual first name what are you even talking about, it's not like a weirdly spelled play on "maximum million" or something

But yeah it breaks down as: same combo inputs, similar outcome(launcher, follow-up, etc), but different moves throughout. I'm sure different characters will have different strings be more or less useful, but this is a smart way to make the game more accessible without​ actually dumbing things down at all

As someone who's biggest stumbling block to playing fighting games is just remembering how to execute combos it sounds really great

Ah, his name is a typo, my bad, I was referring to his spelling of dood. Regardless, I still am concerned that having he same strings for erroneous will water the game down to pick who looks neat, and that is the depth.

In Extreme Butoden for example, you literally had upwards of 4 or 5 combos that everyone shared, some which would chain into a super. Not some would chain for some characters, just the super chain worked on everyone. I was supremely disappointed with it.

I am by no means good at fighting games, but I enjoy playing games that have unique characters like Guilty Gear. Are they harder to get into than games that dumb it down to one sequence to learn for everyone? Sure. But they will keep my attention much longer than a play session.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Extreme Butoden is a Game Boy game, I don't think it was ever supposed to be taken seriously.

It's $15 right now if people are really curious, but so is Fusions and that's a genuinely fun game so get that instead.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

mabels big day posted:

i hope each ultimate makes you do the same pose/action as the actual attack and not just a standard beam motion

Mechanically it makes more sense for there to only be a handful of motions to get the system to reliably interpret. (and for a person to memorize)

Arms crossed then thrown to the sides for transformations makes sense. Both hands back to both hands forward for Kamahameha attacks. One hand straight up to down at 90 degrees would work for Special Beam Cannon, Destructo Disk, Supernova etc. Both arms raised for spirit bomb.

I seem to recall from the Wii days that while up and down, and side to side registered reliably, back and forth really didn't. Now, that was two full hardware iterations back, so maybe it's better now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CzarChasm posted:

Mechanically it makes more sense for there to only be a handful of motions to get the system to reliably interpret. (and for a person to memorize)

Arms crossed then thrown to the sides for transformations makes sense. Both hands back to both hands forward for Kamahameha attacks. One hand straight up to down at 90 degrees would work for Special Beam Cannon, Destructo Disk, Supernova etc. Both arms raised for spirit bomb.

I seem to recall from the Wii days that while up and down, and side to side registered reliably, back and forth really didn't. Now, that was two full hardware iterations back, so maybe it's better now.

It was also using a sensor bar which I don't think is the case for the Switch

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

For characters in dbz fighters do not expect anymore than 18 playable at the absolute optimistic max, and more than likely 12-16. Arc system works has never done a lot of playable characters in the first revision of a game, especially considering how much work each character takes.

For example:
Blazblue launched with 12 characters
Persona 4 arena launched with 13
GG xrd launched with 16 characters

That said expect a lot of DLC.

Also for non fighting game heads, keep in mind less characters like isn't the worst thing as each character you can expect them to play 100% uniquely, unlike many dbz games where everyone plays mostly the same minus a few special moves.

*ed*

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I watched maxamillion dudes thoughts on fighter z and he was noting that the fighters felt very samey. I really hope there is some individuality between them, as that is what ruined extreme butoden on the 3DS for me :(

Please note max is really bad and barely understands fighting games.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 17, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
24 seems like a safer bet than 18 - yes it's an ASW game but it's also one being funded by Namco and it's a 3v3 game so I like to think they'd step it up.

My guess is it'll be all Z-era people and maybe Beerus and all the new characters (including god forms and whatever else) will be DLC, pre-order unlocks, etc.

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

The 3v3 dragon ball game is going to have 2 more characters than Xrd at launch okay

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

xrd is the most amount of characters ASW has ever put in a new franchise(counting it as new since everything from previous engine scrapped). Like I said 18 characters being very optimistic as that will be their new highest amount of characters ever for a new game. 24 or 30 or whatever just isn't gonna happen and only setting yourself up for disappointment, doesn't matter if its 3v3 or not.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://imgur.com/a/ola3h

Bunch of the moves lined up with their manga panels.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If they're using everything from Xrd mostly I don't know how it would take them longer, if anything the familiarity would make things easier. Everything about the art and design is done for them. Hell the movesets are done for them. The hard part is just animating it all. and they have 6-9 months or so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
speaking of Max, he has another video about his talks with Bandai during E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGAJMNi6ryg

the main bulletpoints:

- This is a game designed for both fighting game fans and DB fans rather than how Xenoverse et all are designed for DB fans first.

- There will be robust singleplayer stuff, multiplayer is a big part obviously but they explicitly want modes for more casual fans to enjoy as a major feature too.

-Transformations seem to be varied up vs a universal 'do this combo to transformation' mechanic. Goku goes SS3 in a super cutscene only but Freiza can go golden as a buff that drains meter. No solid detail further than that but that's because it felt like characters are very unfinished right now.

-Roster poo poo! There won't be five Gokus thanks to the way transformations are, which means it won't be as bloated/samey as other DB games. They also are choosing characters from all generations 'to satisfy the broad dragon ball fan audience' rather than focusing on one. We have no more details so we don't know if that means Dragon Ball and GT and poo poo or if it just means all eras of Z/Super are up.

-'not actively looking into developing cross platform play at the moment, BUT willing to look into it if there's a huge demand from the audience'. Same answer for Switch, not on the menu right now but if there's a big demand they haven't written 'NO SWITCH EVER' in stone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So youre saying turtle is confirmed??

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
No, Turtle is not confirmed.

The fish from the first episode however? That's in.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.destructoid.com/dragon-ball-fighterz-adds-future-trunks-444270.phtml

Future Trunks confirmed.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 22, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pyroi posted:

No, Turtle is not confirmed.

The fish from the first episode however? That's in.

gently caress that I want the dinosaur

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Farmer with a shotgun?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

speaking of Max, he has another video about his talks with Bandai during E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGAJMNi6ryg

the main bulletpoints:

- This is a game designed for both fighting game fans and DB fans rather than how Xenoverse et all are designed for DB fans first.

- There will be robust singleplayer stuff, multiplayer is a big part obviously but they explicitly want modes for more casual fans to enjoy as a major feature too.

-Transformations seem to be varied up vs a universal 'do this combo to transformation' mechanic. Goku goes SS3 in a super cutscene only but Freiza can go golden as a buff that drains meter. No solid detail further than that but that's because it felt like characters are very unfinished right now.

-Roster poo poo! There won't be five Gokus thanks to the way transformations are, which means it won't be as bloated/samey as other DB games. They also are choosing characters from all generations 'to satisfy the broad dragon ball fan audience' rather than focusing on one. We have no more details so we don't know if that means Dragon Ball and GT and poo poo or if it just means all eras of Z/Super are up.

-'not actively looking into developing cross platform play at the moment, BUT willing to look into it if there's a huge demand from the audience'. Same answer for Switch, not on the menu right now but if there's a big demand they haven't written 'NO SWITCH EVER' in stone.

every single thing they're talking about sounds fantastic. robust modes, no "5 Gokus" poo poo, a broad selection of characters, variance of transformations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm a Nintendo babby, so a Switch version would be amazing.

I know GG isn't known for alternate costumes, but I hope Trunks is this game's exception 'cause I prefer his Super look.

If Adult Gohan is in, he needs a Great Saiyaman alt. too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think ArcSys has ever done alt costumes if only because merely animating this poo poo is a huge job. However, I insist we get Badman Vegeta.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm most into the transformation stuff. Stuff like Gold and SS and all should be just simple meter drain buffs maybe with cool gimmicks like changed moves and all. Beyond that are we really gonna pretend the difference between SS 1 and SS 3 matters for the game? Just stick that into a badass super move cutscene and it'll feel way more epic than just 'ok I gotta mash out my transform combo three times to get the most out of it before my meter drains'. The iconic stuff needs to be there but this gives options for stuff like Buu going Super Buu for his insta-kill and all and that's a way more fun thing to focus on.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

DLC Inc posted:

I don't think ArcSys has ever done alt costumes if only because merely animating this poo poo is a huge job. However, I insist we get Badman Vegeta.

I asked a friend who's a huge GG fan and apparently one and only one character in Revelator has an alternate costume. It's the big boobed bride character. No surprise there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Reinanigans posted:

I asked a friend who's a huge GG fan and apparently one and only one character in Revelator has an alternate costume. It's the big boobed bride character. No surprise there.

Big Boob Badman Vegeta confirmed

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

sexpig by night posted:

Big Boob Badman Vegeta confirmed

:yeah:

Related, saw these awesome people at Megacon Orlando last month:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

some of the designs in GGxrd like Dizzy and Elphelt were obnoxious but were nothing compared to Blazblue, which turns up the anime dial to the worst degree. Dragonball is kind of a sausagefest though aside from like, Android 18?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

some of the designs in GGxrd like Dizzy and Elphelt were obnoxious but were nothing compared to Blazblue, which turns up the anime dial to the worst degree. Dragonball is kind of a sausagefest though aside from like, Android 18?

I would not be surprised if we see Kale or Caulifa if just to give the game more lady fighter who are not Android 18. Otherwise, yeah, that's it unless they do Chi-Chi/Bulma in a mecha suit/Arale.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

The most powerful character in Dragon Ball is a lady, Bulma.

After that you got what, Chi-Chi, Videl, Pan, Bra, Marron, Launch, Mai, Arale, Kale, Caulifa, and uh, that one chick also named Marron that Krillin dated for a week and named his daughter after seriously what the gently caress krillin?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

I would not be surprised if we see Kale or Caulifa if just to give the game more lady fighter who are not Android 18. Otherwise, yeah, that's it unless they do Chi-Chi/Bulma in a mecha suit/Arale.

Considering the likely extremely limited roster, I wouldn't have my hopes up for new characters like Kale and Caulifla. 18 is pretty much the only female character with real chances to get in.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If I can play as Arale in a legit fighting game I'll be ecstatic. That's some good tiny servbot fighter stuff. But I don't think she'll get in with how small I'm sure the roster will be.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

If I can play as Arale in a legit fighting game I'll be ecstatic. That's some good tiny servbot fighter stuff. But I don't think she'll get in with how small I'm sure the roster will be.

gag comic characters are too OP, won't be in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
just give me a fighting game where I can play actual canon trained fighter Chi-Chi

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monaghan posted:

gag comic characters are too OP, won't be in.

Its Arc-Sys, I feel like I can safely say one unexpected character will be in, but it remains to be seen if that will mean Mr. Satan or like, Pikkon or some deep cuts from DB.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sexpig by night posted:

just give me a fighting game where I can play actual canon trained fighter Chi-Chi

Super Dragon Ball Z if you want her as an adult, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 if you want her as a child.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

Its Arc-Sys, I feel like I can safely say one unexpected character will be in, but it remains to be seen if that will mean Mr. Satan or like, Pikkon or some deep cuts from DB.

Ninja Murasaki for Dragon Ball FighterZ.

QCB+P to accidentally sodomize yourself

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Barudak posted:

Farmer with a Shotgun finally gets his day in the limelight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

honestly I'd say Mr Satan counts as expected by now, he's been in most fighting games and ArcSys loves their silly poo poo so it'd be much more shocking if mr 'special move is tricking opponent into taking a present of plastic explosives' Satan wasn't in than was.

I'm hoping for someone just dumb as poo poo like King Kai or Uub.

• Locked thread