Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aves Maria! posted:

No, the reason there have been three of them is because DCCC chairs typically don't last longer than two or three years. In fact, ever.

Unless there is major staff turnover every time a new chair is elected, it's likely this problem extends beyond Nancy Pelosi.

Yes. It's the entire leadership team that needs to go. Not just Pelosi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

And his name is Gianforte! Dun dun dun duuuun.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mcmagic posted:

Keep celebrating moral victories under unified Trumpist government. That's a great look.

What do you think happens to an R + 4 district?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mcmagic posted:

Sounds like a great idea, I'm sure that will magically improve House Democrats fortunes and not completely gently caress the party.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mcmagic posted:

Keep celebrating moral victories under unified Trumpist government. That's a great look.

The midterms are in 16.5 months. Your this-matters-o-meter is completely broken, as usual.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
no ram no ram we ram!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aves Maria! posted:

Sounds like a great idea, I'm sure that will magically improve House Democrats fortunes and not completely gently caress the party.

The party literally can't be hosed more than they are hosed at the moment under this set of leaders.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What do you think happens to an R + 4 district?

Ossoff got <1k votes more than the guy who spent $37 on his campaign against Price in 2016. That is something to celebrate?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Can we add mcmagic to the list of people no one should respond to?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dietrich posted:

why haven't you already

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wow so it looks like uninsured would actually go above 24 million. Christ.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dietrich posted:

mcmagic needs people in his life who are willing to tell him directly how stupid he is.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dietrich posted:

Quick, mention Manchin!

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Dietrich posted:

He's an amazing resource on electoral strategy so long as you always do the exact opposite.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mcmagic posted:

The party literally can't be hosed more than they are hosed at the moment under this set of leaders.

Uh yes, in fact, it can. At the moment House Dems are unified. That's not a guarantee if you start making sacrificial lambs of every single person in a leadership role.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
If we're going to oust the leadership for not delivering campaign victories, why don't we focus on the consultants?

Yes, I do listen to the Majority Report, thank you very much.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Ossoff got <1k votes more than the guy who spent $37 on his campaign against Price in 2016. That is something to celebrate?

You can't compare a special election to a presidential election. It would be more accurate to look at 2014, and he got well over 50k more votes than the Democrat there.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Hollismason posted:

Looks like it's working as intended, then.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

1337JiveTurkey posted:

He's an amazing resource on electoral strategy so long as you always do the exact opposite.

This also applies to football chat.

So don't engage him in football chat, either. :v:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

Dems should be leaderless, I agree.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Because following your strategy prescriptions has really been a massive success for congressional dems... right?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hollismason posted:

So there's talk of an amendment process that's also completely hidden. Is there a possibility that this is a bill designed to look god-loving-awful so that when they amend it and it isn't worse than the House bill they will look like magnanimous people who are capable of compromise? Or is it even worse?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

The current bill is already exceedingly evil, how much more bad can any amendment possibly be?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

May I have more hot takes on the Senate's AHCA please

I'm on Medicaid, I want to know how much I lose how quickly.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Boon posted:

when I said full communism now, I meant it. Starting with our parties.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TheScott2K posted:

The people who want Pelosi out are the same people who become managers who tune out when being told what's actually happening and then pound the desk and say "I want results!" at the end of the meeting.

We simply cannot allow J. Jonah Jameson to gain control of the Democrat Party!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Because following your strategy prescriptions has really been a massive success for congressional dems... right?

You're the guy in 2004 saying Karl Rove has The Numbers

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Joe Manchin is a great senator, he's strong, he's liberal, and he's my friend

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mcmagic posted:

2016 was a presidential election. This is more comparable to a midterm.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

May I have more hot takes on the Senate's AHCA please

I'm on Medicaid, I want to know how much I lose how quickly.

It's so bad that you're actually dead right now

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Boon posted:

it would be a substantial improvement over them being voterless, imo

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Joe Manchin is a great senator, he's strong, he's liberal, and he's my friend

I disagree, Joe Manchin is a real buttface.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I'm not claiming to be an expert while mixing up presidential and special election turnout.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

You're the guy in 2004 saying Karl Rove has The Numbers

You are literally adding nothing to this discussion other than "Dems are doing great and should keep doing what they are doing" while the Trumpists destroy the country and Democrats get beaten by the trumpists like it's their job. Do you realize what an utterly terrible candidate Karen Handel was?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Alright then, let's put it this way. Who should be House Minority Leader if not Pelosi, and why are they better in that role than her? What qualifications do they have and why should other House Democrats listen to this new person?

In short, put up or shut up.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Javes posted:

The current bill is already exceedingly evil, how much more bad can any amendment possibly be?

Fuckface McTurtleson will find a way. He always does.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

mcmagic posted:

Please by all means tell me about how a soccer mom enclave in suburban Atlanta would vote en masse if the Dems ran Tommy Douglas of Saskatchewan's Co-operative Commonwealth Federation.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ze Pollack posted:

it would be a substantial improvement over them being voterless, imo

3 million more voted for Clinton in 2016, a year in which the House minority also gained 6 seats despite Pelosi personally visiting every home in rural America and declaring all of their children to be trans.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Aves Maria! posted:

Uh yes, in fact, it can. At the moment House Dems are unified. That's not a guarantee if you start making sacrificial lambs of every single person in a leadership role.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Old James posted:

The only time it is used is in reference to a Judge, example "The Honorable Judge Joseph Wapner" to signify the earned trust the public has put in them to apply justice. Omarosa has done nothing to earn that title.

Nope.

"In the United States the Honorable is a courtesy title used with current and retired high-ranking federal and state officials and judges, and with some local officials. As a general rule, those appointed by the President of the United States (and approved by the United States Senate) and anyone elected to public office are entitled to be addressed as the Honorable for life.

The Honorable is always used before a full name. As a courtesy title the Honorable describes an individual: This person is honorable. As such it never precedes the just the name of an office."

edit: Here's a cool link. http://www.formsofaddress.info/Honorable.html

EndTimesProfit fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mcmagic posted:

The leadership team seems to be worse than Pelosi. Pelosi is good at what she should be doing, which is leading the Democrats in the House. She's poo poo at giving interviews and generally being likeable -- I cringe every time I see her speaking on TV, because she's just not good at it, constantly whiffing on easy-rear end questions and such, and I'm sympathetic to her views to begin with.

She's obviously very skilled at what she does, so we should let her get on with it and stop demanding that she be the charismatic figure that unites the country and ushers in a progressive utopia.

• Locked thread