Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

technically that guy is wrong and 1913 was part of the progressive era. the gilded age ended in the 1890s

it's all fin de siecle to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

this is why i stick to pessimism

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dreylad posted:

or people who can attract pro-life voters without being pro-life themselves.

I've noticed a trend generally in politics during the election and after where people confuse ideological purity with electoral strategy. only one wins you elections and gives you access to power.

do these voters exist

pro-lifers tend to be rather strident

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

hey, maybe since we're in a new gilded age, we're about to enter a new progressive era??

Yes

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

oh this gets funnier

he supported bernie in the primaries

https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/805924924120584192

I'm honestly not sure I even believe him. He constantly talks about how much he idolizes Hillary. Hillary is supposedly his hero and reason for entering politics. He wouldn't just make all that up, would he???

Serf
May 5, 2011

you're good people, gradenko_2000. don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

do these voters exist

pro-lifers tend to be rather strident

bernard sanders claims to get pro-life people to vote for him, albeit in a fairly liberal state.

katie halper has some good tweets about working with people who seem to be against you, also touching on issues of race a lot of liberals like to tiptoe around because they don't want to acknowledge the fact that non-white people can be deeply conservative on social issues

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm honestly not sure I even believe him. He constantly talks about how much he idolizes Hillary. Hillary is supposedly his hero and reason for entering politics. He wouldn't just make all that up, would he???

hes decided to jump on the hillary train AFTER she lost because the dnc is still packed with hil and obama sycophants would be my guess

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I have seen people (on the Internet) respond to me calling them out for yelling about Bernie's beach house and Jane's FBI investigation by saying "excuse me but I voted for Bernie in the primary, bro, anyway as I was saying THAT'S TWO MORE HOUSES THAN I HAVE"

The 2016 primary broke a lot of people's brains, some before they voted themselves and some afterward

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

you're good people, gradenko_2000. don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise

:hfive:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WW3 in comparison to WW2: china becomes soviet russia, germany becomes churchill's britain, france becomes imperial japan, uk becomes split-china, us becomes mussolini italy, russia becomes nazi germany

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Vox Nihili posted:

its bizarre because he did post a lot of stuff about how hillary has a v good chance of losing the primary in the same tone that he posted all the poo poo where trump is absolutely going to lose the general and trump is absolutely going to be impeached any day now

https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/634139873679699968
https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/654189468094738432

but he didnt ever really post any substantial pro-bernie thing, just a bunch of "go bernie" or "bernie looks better than hillary" vacuous ~opinions~ and then pivoted right into

https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/757718937580756997

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
The Perfectly Bad Democrat

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Serf posted:

this is why i stick to pessimism

thats pretty boring~

u shouldnt stick to anything but go with the flow, it will give u better posting options namaste

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i mean, you dont wanna be stuck in your ways like the democrats right

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the left is obsessed with being defeated and pessimism, so much so that people kinda fell apart when corbyn started to succeed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dreylad posted:

the left is obsessed with being defeated and pessimism, so much so that people kinda fell apart when corbyn started to succeed.

what?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this yacknovic fellah... i don't like him.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dreylad posted:

nobody can handle the dinner egg friend

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren: IRONSTACHE :siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dreylad posted:

i dunno im a leftist and that brought some measure of happiness to my cold dead heart

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/Vande_Mataram/status/516670381839900672

woman hates her some muslims boy howdy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dreylad posted:

whats damning is really the conscious choice, like you CHOOSE to go after poster for purity and opinion posting that nobody really cares about instead of just mocking people like Ossoff and whats his wormy face Ken or David or whatever relentlessly

speaking of which

IRONSTACHE*

*click*

*until the dirt comes out on him that despite being a vet and a cancer survivor, hes a sexual predator or whatever and all hope is dashed again

oh wait, thats pessimistic, woops

no, wait its deliberate cynicism for ironic purposes, please dont misconstrue thanks in advance :hai:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

We must defeat this man in the most important arena, Twitter

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
twitter made trump president since news outlets don't have any money to send reporters out into the field and journalists just browse twitter all day and take hot about it

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Dreylad posted:

the leftist in me was elated by the UK election

the american leftist in me remains disaffected

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

and some ice tea on the side imo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Serf posted:

i dunno im a leftist and that brought some measure of happiness to my cold dead heart

I shoulda said "some" people. I know that a lot of people feel energized by it and that's great. That's what's needed.

Office Pig posted:

the leftist in me was elated by the UK election

the american leftist in me remains disaffected

That I can understand. American leftists are in a tough place and I sympathize.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dreylad posted:

it gave me hope

for anywhere that's not the united states

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lastgirl posted:

whats damning is really the conscious choice, like you CHOOSE to go after poster for purity and opinion posting that nobody really cares about instead of just mocking people like Ossoff and whats his wormy face Ken or David or whatever relentlessly

speaking of which

IRONSTACHE*

*click*

*until the dirt comes out on him that despite being a vet and a cancer survivor, hes a sexual predator or whatever and all hope is dashed again

oh wait, thats pessimistic, woops

no, wait its deliberate cynicism for ironic purposes, please dont misconstrue thanks in advance :hai:

I'm new here and don't understand what any of this means but cheers

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dreylad posted:

I'm new here and don't understand what any of this means but cheers

just roll with it, nothing means anything

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I said I would do Drakengard/Nier weapon stories for Bad Dems, but got distracted by MMOs. Thankfully, work is dumb and I have nothing else to do, so put on your Emil heads

Vox Nihili posted:

heres the dude running against Randy "Ironstache" Bryce

In his youth, this Ohioan went to see the King along with other noble families.
While there, the Slay Kween spied the boy's unquestioning face.
"That one" she said, "He has no personality-exactly what our country needs!"
So enamored by the attention, the youth pledge his loyalty to the Slay Kween.

Years past, and kingdom was invaded by demonic orangutans.
The Slay Kween remembered the unimpressive youth, and summoned him to her palace
"Go to the Cheese Lands," she commanded, "and slay the sweating beast that resides there!"
Now a full grown pillow-face, the noble promised to bring a much needed victory."

When he entered the Cheese Lands, he was approached by a blacksmith.
"Hold friend," he said. "You mean well, but you do not know this land.
"Come with me, I am gathering together countrymen to bring down the beast you seek
"I have crafted an iron mostache, and it will be the means to overcome him."

The noble scoffed. "Begone, peasent, this fight is beyond your crude means!
"The blessed Slay Kween has gifted me with the arms and strategems to bring the monster down."
Brimming with confidence, the noble rode into the heart of the sweating beast's lair,
Where he was swiftly beaten to death with a wet rolled-up towel.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

just roll with it, nothing means anything

I've come to accept I'll never get a handle on ironic distanceposting that is CSPAM and just continue to post earnestly as best I can.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

:stoked:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren: :siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren: :siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren:

IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wasn't about to proclaim that the absolute boy finally grabbed his dinner egg and subsequently firing the first shot of the workers' revolution, but i was quite pleased to see corbyn and labour both perform better than the odds that everyone gave him.

that's the thing about setting expectations artificially low -- you'll either get them right or be quite pleasantly surprised.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Oh that's ironstache, cool. I get why people would be cynical about his potential fall as soon as someone finds some kind of moral failing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
also Angela Nagle's book is good, and reading a few twitter takes about it are incredibly demoralizing an -oh no. no. noooooo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

:siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren: :siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren: :siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren:

IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE

Booty Jayg/Ironstache A.T. 2

because the republicans destroyed the use of the gregorian calendar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Dreylad posted:

also Angela Nagle's book is good, and reading a few twitter takes about it are incredibly demoralizing an -oh no. no. noooooo

i'm lost please explain

• Locked thread