Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

I think people may not have noticed that the guy I was referencing is actually extremely credible and my view points have largely been influenced by him, J David Markham.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._David_Markham

He ummm appears to be a high school teacher? This may not be the level of academic credibility you are shooting for, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

A more serious question: what is the viability of beaching an obsolete battleship you can't afford to man and maintain up next to a coastal fortified position, to basically drop a coastal battery next to someone? Or would it be too vulnerable to attack and capture?

It's not the exact same scenario but I'm reminded of the fate of the Konigsberg, a German Light Cruiser that hid itself in a river in East Africa for repairs during WW1. The Brits found it November 1914, but because it was basically a fortified position in the middle of nowhere they weren't able to sink the ship until July 1915, and the sailors actually managed to salvage the guns and hook up with their land forces.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

feedmegin posted:

He ummm appears to be a high school teacher? This may not be the level of academic credibility you are shooting for, you know.

Maybe read Cyrano4747 post on the guy. He might not be a proper academic scholar but he is a great deal more than a high school teacher, you know. Did you read his wiki page, did you look at the books he has authored?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

Maybe read Cyrano4747 post on the guy. He might not be a proper academic scholar but he is a great deal more than a high school teacher, you know. Did you read his wiki page, did you look at the books he has authored?

Anyone can write books in these self-publishing days, even high school teachers. Doesn't mean they're good. I note that precisely one book in his wikipedia entry lists a publisher, incidentally.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hogge Wild posted:

And that weekend invasion joke is still being told, at least in Finland. I heard it the first time in Yes Minister.

According to graphic documentary "Asterix in Britain" (1965), that was how Caesar won the Britons.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That guy could not have bailed out any later, holy poo poo

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Always knew there were napoleon apologists/revisionists but never realized there were so many secret societies and cabals.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

The places that he is getting a lot of press from are all unabashedly pro napoleon. That's fascinating in and of itself. I wasn't aware that there was a napoleonic equivalent to die hard monarchists.
oh there are plenty of bonapartisans out there

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

oh there are plenty of bonapartisans out there

When did they stop being an important political group?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
some pics:

Japanese depiction of Napoleon Bonaparte and his exile at St. Helena, from a Japanese book circa 1815-1820.

Guet-Apens (Ambush), L'Eclipse, March 17, 1872: This map comments how the Paris Commune rose and was violently subdued, after the capture of Napoleon III in the Franco Prussian war and the defeat of the subsequent Third Republic.

What's the pear symbolising?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Hogge Wild posted:

Guet-Apens (Ambush), L'Eclipse, March 17, 1872: This map comments how the Paris Commune rose and was violently subdued, after the capture of Napoleon III in the Franco Prussian war and the defeat of the subsequent Third Republic.

What's the pear symbolising?[/timg]
French King Louis-Philippe was famously depicted as a pear:

So here the pear symbolizes the Orleanist faction among the monarchists.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mantis42 posted:

Wasn't that the plan for the Yamato, in the end? It got sunk at sea before it could make it to any beach but I remember reading that somewhere.

Anyways I don't think a beach battleship would be anywhere near as effective as actual land based fortifications actually built with that purpose in mind but I'm no expert.

Worked in Leningrad :shrug:

Edit: For the uninitiated - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_battleship_Petropavlovsk_(1911)

quote:

When the Germans invaded on 22 June 1941 she was in Kronstadt and provided gunfire support to Soviet troops in September as the Germans approached Leningrad. Later that month she had her bow blown off and sank in shallow water after two hits by 1,000-kilogram (2,200 lb) bombs that detonated her forward magazine. She was refloated several months later and became a stationary battery, providing gunfire support during the Siege of Leningrad.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 22, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bourricot posted:

French King Louis-Philippe was famously depicted as a pear:

So here the pear symbolizes the Orleanist faction among the monarchists.

ah, thanks

i've seen that pic before, but can't remember where

Would you mind posting about that and the other monarchist factions?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Squalid posted:

I'm not much interested in moralistic hot-takes on any conflict, much less ones in which popular narratives are as politicized as Vietnam In many colonies the colonial administration substantially predated any sense of national spirit which one could betray. I do however always love hearing new historical narratives and from new perspectives. I'm interested in war as a social phenomena, a phenomena which often pulls back the heavy veil that otherwise often masks the true nature of power, identity, and society.

I admit with my questions I was mostly just trying to bait you into sharing any interesting anecdotes or points you could remember from your research. Why was it that Vietnam developed a much larger Christian population than, say Cambodia or Laos?

I imagine that if the war had ended earlier through any means, even victory by Ho Chi Minh following the French withdrawal, Vietnam would be more prosperous today. War takes a hell of a lot out of an economy.

I mean I was only an undergrad. There are many people on this forum who are much more qualified to give the answers you seek. I can only give anecdotes on some of my fiance's family history or give you facts that you already know, such as the OSS providing material and covert support to the Vietminh during WWII or the massive amount of assistance the US/UK gave to the French to fund their colonial war.

You bring up one interesting question. Why did Vietnam have a much larger Catholic population compared to the other areas of Indochina, such as Laos or Cambodia. If I had to take an educated guess, I would say that by being a coastal region, Vietnamese people have been exposed to westerners for far longer. The Portuguese were trading with various Vietnamese dynasties as early as the 16th century. It would also probably explain why the Vietnamese writing system was romanized (previously they used Chinese characters) while the Laotian and Cambodian systems were not.

Again though, someone in this thread can probably give a much more detailed answer and I would be happy to hear!

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 22, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phobophilia posted:

A more serious question: what is the viability of beaching an obsolete battleship you can't afford to man and maintain up next to a coastal fortified position, to basically drop a coastal battery next to someone? Or would it be too vulnerable to attack and capture?

That's exactly what was done with the Tirpitz. After suffering some heavy bomb damage it was decided to repair her just to the extent that she could be used as a floating battery and moored off of Norway. Then the Brits blew her upside down with Tallboys.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I was thinking that you'd physically lodge it on the beach, so it's not possible to actually sink or capsize it. The Tirpitz seemed to only be partially beached, semi buoyant, so it was still capsizable. But obviously that doesn't do anything about a heavy bomber from dropping a few dozen tons of tnt on a stationary target and blowing the magazine.

But looking at the wikipedia page, jfc, they had 1.6k crewmen on board, doing nothing that could even act like a fleet-in-being. Was that really the minimum for a skeleton crew to turn the guns around?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phobophilia posted:

But looking at the wikipedia page, jfc, they had 1.6k crewmen on board, doing nothing that could even act like a fleet-in-being. Was that really the minimum for a skeleton crew to turn the guns around?

The main guns? No. The secondary batteries and all the AAA? Yes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also the engines have to be working to provide power to the whole ship (even if the propellers aren't turning).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
After the St Nazaire Raid, it probably seemed a very bad idea to leave any major coastal asset without a sizeable complement, even if it could be operated with fewer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What I'm getting here is that the movie Battleship was seriously underestimating the number of WW2 vets it would have taken to get the Missouri going again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BattleMoose posted:

Is he a high school teacher? I didn't spot that last night. That would explain his training - he's got the education of one. I would still be wary of taking what he's writing as some kind of searingly insightful historical analysis. He seems to be running counter to what most academic historians are writing and none of them really seem to be engaging with him. I'll reach out to a friend of mine who does 18th century France and see if he's ever heard of the guy.

feedmegin posted:

Anyone can write books in these self-publishing days, even high school teachers. Doesn't mean they're good. I note that precisely one book in his wikipedia entry lists a publisher, incidentally.

I hadn't thought of the publisher angle. Looking at them it looks like most of his books are published by Pen & Sword or Brassey's, which are two publishers that go deep on military history enthusiast books. That isn't all bad - Brasseys' is the one currently publishing Sajer's Forgotten Soldier for example, which despite controversy is a good memoir if you want to get a feel for the eastern front - but it's not great either. Publishers like those tend to concentrate more on how well you tell as story and whether milhist geeks will buy the book than any kind of academic argument. Not having an academic publisher isn't the end of the world, but it's another thing that raises eyebrows when assessing the guy's scholarly credentials. Rather, not having any published by a scholarly publisher is the real concern, as even authors who publish lots of page turners for the Borders crowd tend to have a footprint in more niche academic circles where they make a more nuanced argument for a different audience.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

What I'm getting here is that the movie Battleship was seriously underestimating the number of WW2 vets it would have taken to get the Missouri going again.

The crew of the Missouri in the 90s was something like 60% of the WWII complement, specifically because the AAA guns were gone (and a bunch of the 5", I think).

The really impressive bit was firing two rounds from the 16" guns in like 30 seconds with only about 5 guys to operate the turret in Under Siege.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hmm, assuming that the ship is somehow in full running order, what *is* the minimum number of crew to sail a battleship for an hour or so and shoot at something? Like, if you disregard things like maintenance completely.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
While I cannot answer that question, I can answer the number of goons asking OPSEC questions requiered for Lowtax to receive another angry letter form the Government: 1.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The formation and handling of NATO as a purely Anglo-American, Euro-centrist militant organization - was a bad thing in retrospect, right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Famous Anglo-American organization, NATO.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

The formation and handling of NATO as a purely Anglo-American, Euro-centrist militant organization - was a bad thing in retrospect, right?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Why? Its purpose was to defend Europe from a Soviet attack, at the time it was formed what else could it have been?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Polyakov posted:

Why? Its purpose was to defend Europe from a Soviet attack, at the time it was formed what else could it have been?

G.I. Joe and Action Man vs the World?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Hogge Wild posted:

ah, thanks

i've seen that pic before, but can't remember where

Would you mind posting about that and the other monarchist factions?

I'll do my best based on what I can remember from high school :eng101:

In the picture you posted, you see the republic (with its Phrygian Cap) threatened by Germany and the three monarchist factions :
- The Bonapartists, who don't need any further presentation (their name is their program)
- The Legitimists (with the fleur-de-lis), who wanted a king from the House of Bourbon
- The Orleanists, who wanted a king from the House of Orleans

The difference between Legitimists and Orleanists came to be after the Revolution of 1830 when Louis-Phillipe (of the House of Orleans) took power. The July Monarchy was a much more liberal regime (i.e. on the British model) than its predecessors, and marked the end of the absolute monarchy. Now Legitimists consider the Revolution of 1830 to be a coup and therefore Louis-Philippe to be illegitimate.

They finally managed a compromise after the demise of the Second Empire, but things didn't go as planned:

Wikipedia posted:

The French legislative election of 1871, held in the aftermath of the collapse of the regime of Napoleon III, resulted in a monarchist majority in the French National Assembly that was favourable to making a peace agreement with Prussia. The "Legitimists" in the National Assembly supported the candidacy of a descendant of King Charles X, the last monarch from the senior line of the Bourbon Dynasty, to assume the French throne: his grandson Henri, Comte de Chambord, alias "Henry V." The Orléanists supported a descendant of King Louis Philippe I, the cousin of Charles X who replaced him as the French monarch in 1830: his grandson Louis-Philippe, Comte de Paris. The Bonapartists were marginalized due to the defeat of Napoléon III and were unable to advance the candidacy of any member of his family, the Bonaparte family. Legitimists and Orléanists came to a compromise, eventually, whereby the childless Comte de Chambord would be recognised as king, with the Comte de Paris recognised as his heir. Consequently, in 1871 the throne was offered to the Comte de Chambord.[2]

Chambord believed the restored monarchy had to eliminate all traces of the Revolution (including most famously the Tricolor flag) in order to restore the unity between the monarchy and the nation, which the revolution had sundered apart. Compromise on this was impossible if the nation were to be made whole again. The general population, however, was unwilling to abandon the Tricolor flag. Monarchists therefore resigned themselves to wait for the death of the aging, childless Chambord, when the throne could be offered to his more liberal heir, the Comte de Paris. A "temporary" republican government was therefore established. Chambord lived on until 1883, but by that time, enthusiasm for a monarchy had faded, and as a result the Comte de Paris was never offered the French throne.[3]
France pretty much became a lasting Republic by default :france:

Bourricot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 23, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

BattleMoose posted:

Not to step on Cyrano's toes here 'cause he knows a hell of a lot more about this stuff than me, but I think you should also question a bit how you seem to be willing to die on this hill for the dude. Even for super qualified historians, you wanna be a bit wary about considering everything they say as gospel. For a thread like this it's normally not that big a deal to lean on one source like that (in my opinion, anyway), and I don't doubt that you know a lot more about Napoleon than the vast majority of people. But know your limitations, and when you get confronted with a different point of view... maybe don't be so condescending about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Polyakov posted:

Turkey was a member of NATO three years before West Germany was. So was Greece. Founding members included Italy, Norway, Denmark, and Portugal. The only way anyone could get "purely Anglo-American" out of that is by huffing glue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zocio posted:

While I cannot answer that question, I can answer the number of goons asking OPSEC questions requiered for Lowtax to receive another angry letter form the Government: 1.

Something tells me that the crewing requirements for a battleship are not among the US military's current concerns.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PittTheElder posted:

Something tells me that the crewing requirements for a battleship are not among the US military's current concerns.

The US Government released "Battleship" as a test to see how many people could believably run a battleship.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Turkey was a member of NATO three years before West Germany was. So was Greece. Founding members included Italy, Norway, Denmark, and Portugal. The only way anyone could get "purely Anglo-American" out of that is by huffing glue.

I was more addressing the european centric part of the question. But yes, NATO is not and never really was purely Anglo American and never really could be given on whose territory they would be fighting their advesary on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Well, seeing as the Russians were the next big threat, it kinda makes sense for it to be euro-centric...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Relatedly, how serious was the Soviet Union's attempt to join NATO? Like, was it just a PR stunt or was it the kind of thing where they actually wanted it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sajer's Forgotten Soldier for example, which despite controversy is a good memoir if you want to get a feel for the eastern front

What's the controversy? I googled "forgotten soldier controversy" but got results from stormfront and something called axishistory.com and chose not to dig further at work

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ainsley McTree posted:

What's the controversy? I googled "forgotten soldier controversy" but got results from stormfront and something called axishistory.com and chose not to dig further at work

Some people who were in the Grossdeutschland Division(s) don't ever recall Guy Sajer being in their group, despite the author's insistence. This has led people within the veteran community to shun him and his work, and others to discredit his writings. I think "recently" the Grossdeutschland veterans have accepted that maybe Sajer was a soldier with them but they just didn't notice him or that some details (such as a commander's name) may have been wrong simply due to human nature, but that it doesn't discredit his experiences that he wrote about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ah. Well, worst case scenario is that it's at least extremely realistic historical fiction, which sounds like it's still worth a read.