Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Soon all will be reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

The volume of Sonic the Hedgehog fanart on the internet is totally baffling to me because it's presumably made by young adults and there hasn't been a good Sonic game in 15 years.

6 years

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

The volume of Sonic the Hedgehog fanart on the internet is totally baffling to me because it's presumably made by young adults and there hasn't been a good Sonic game in 15 years.

The good games haven't stopped existing :shrug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

There have been plenty of good Sonic games in the last 15 years

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, like two

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

[Your First Name] the Hedgehog

[leaning against wall with hands in hedgehog pockets] i'm kinslayer the hedgehog. God's will is unknowable and that's FINE with ME

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
2006 was 11 years ago, guys. Some of you seem to be getting some dates wrong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How could I forget Dark Brotherhood.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

[leaning against wall with hands in hedgehog pockets] i'm kinslayer the hedgehog. God's will is unknowable and that's FINE with ME

Lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've spoken to people at Sega about it:

The 3D games are actually pretty popular with kids. One of their stated goals with Sonic Generations was to try to make a game that bridged the gap between the old-school fans and their newer fans. For all that people complain about how terrible they are, a lot of the 3D Sonic games have a pretty dedicated young fanbase because a lot of them don't care about how accurate it is to the 2D games and take it on its own merits. It's actually a design problem they constantly struggle with because the two groups don't share a lot of taste overlap. (Mario has also had this problem with the 2D/3D Mario games and a stated goal of the 3D/Wii U 3D Mario games was to find a playstyle that appealed to both.)

It's also worth remembering there are a lot of people who are young enough that Sonic Adventure was the game they played growing up, not Sonic 1-3. Sonic Unleashed is almost a decade old at this point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first sonic game I ever played was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and I loved the poo poo out of it but now I hate that game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

10 year old me really Rogue the Bat's knockers but then my friend showed me how to use google to find nude women and I never played another sonic game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In the past 15 years I think we've had Sonic Advance 1 and 2, Sonic Rush (I liked Sonic Rush Adventure but most people seem not to), Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic All Star Racing, Sonic All Star Racing Transformed and I think Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Lost World, while not amazing, are at least good. Sure there's a ton of absolute crap too but I've never thought the state of Sonic games is quite as dire as people make it out to be.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sonic adventure 2 is the best sonic game by far and i've one hundo percented it multiple times :hehe:

s&k is probably my second favorite

Serf
May 5, 2011

In Training posted:

10 year old me really Rogue the Bat's knockers

i accidentally the whole sonic oc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Scott the hedgehog:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oddium posted:

sonic adventure 2 is the best sonic game by far

I didn't realize that sonic games were that bad

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Scott the hedgehog:

B-But how does he fly

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you're a sonic fan that sonic mania game they're working on seems like the distilled essence of what a good sonic game is so that's something to look forward to

i am not, so the only thing i have to look forward to is death

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Andrast posted:

I didn't realize that sonic games were that bad

they're not very good outside of sa2 really

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

why come they never had a baby wario in mario golf and whatnot

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CJacobs posted:

B-But how does he fly

He was exelently engineered to fly obv

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

oddium posted:

What if Wario was actually Mario as a baby?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

Wario was never a baby, he's an artificial homunculus created to kill Mario by evil wizards.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

Baby Wario is in Yoshi's Island DS with his friends Baby Mario/Peach/DK/Bowser

unfortunately it's not a very good game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Wario was never a baby, he's an artificial homunculus created to kill Mario by evil wizards.

NON CANONICAL

https://www.mariowiki.com/Baby_Wario

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Is Baby DK Cranky Kong or do Kongs grow at a different rate than plumbers?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

baby wario love him coin. respect

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

if you're a sonic fan that sonic mania game they're working on seems like the distilled essence of what a good sonic game is so that's something to look forward to

i am not, so the only thing i have to look forward to is death

also, this burrito i just got

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been fortunate in my own life that whenever the sweet embrace of death has seemed a little too appealing, some really cool-looking game appears on the horizon that I definitely don't want to die before playing (plus possible future GOTY edition).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I just realized Baby DK and Peach are apparently carrying their Yoshis with their toes

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

B-But how does he fly

Coach

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Boy, are his arms tired.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh no I ate too much and now am dying more worsely

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SA2 is shockingly loving bad especially since it asks you to basically play the game twice over, with one third being passable sonic levels, one third being awful scavenger hunts, and the last third being braindead mech segments. looking back on that game without nostalgia glasses, it's mindblowing how popular it was when it came out

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

oh no I ate too much and now am dying more worsely

What did you drink until 4am?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I replayed both of the SA games tendentious and was surprised with how much I still enjoyed SA1 and was even more surprised that I got annoyed enough with how poo poo SA2 was that I just gave up half way through.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Wario is an older Mario that has abandoned his principles in the pursuit of wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Sonic Adventure games are weird because they're jank as all hell but somehow I don't have a bad time playing them? Like there's method to their madness and some backwards appeal to the layers and layers of cheese

• Locked thread