Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
In case you've never heard of it, the Goiânia accident was a great study in what morons will do with nuclear materials if they ever get a hold of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nocheez posted:

In case you've never heard of it, the Goiânia accident was a great study in what morons will do with nuclear materials if they ever get a hold of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

The only morons were the people who left it there.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

I do not disagree, however I think some blame resides with the thieves.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

Four months before the theft, on May 4, 1987, Saura Taniguti, then director of Ipasgo, the institute of insurance for civil servants, used police force to prevent one of the owners of IGR, Carlos Figueiredo Bezerril, from removing the objects that were left behind.[6] Figueiredo then warned the president of Ipasgo, Lício Teixeira Borges, that he should take responsibility "for what would happen with the caesium bomb".[6]

In light of the deaths caused, the three doctors who had owned and run IGR were charged with criminal negligence. Because the accidents occurred before the promulgation of the Federal Constitution of 1988 and because the substance was acquired by the clinic and not by the individual owners, the court could not declare the owners of IGR liable. One of the medical doctors owning IGR and the clinic's physicist were ordered to pay R$100,000 for the derelict condition of the building. The two thieves were not included as defendants in the public civil suit.

This annoyed me: they said 'please let us remove this hazard' - got stopped by a court order and then got fined for not removing it.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Lifestyle blogger Rebecca Burger killed by exploding whipped cream dispenser

The Independent posted:

A lifestyle blogger has been killed by an exploding whipped cream dispenser.

Rebecca Burger, 33, reportedly suffered a cardiac arrest after the gadget exploded and struck her chest.

They work by injecting gas into a metal canister to pressurise the contents, but one French consumer group has warned for years that they are a risk.

Ms Burger’s family announced her death on Facebook and Instagram, where she has a following of around 200,000.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVkpNCiDIn4/

Apparently these things are no joke:

BBC: Exploding cream dispenser kills French fitness blogger

BBC posted:

A whipped cream dispenser works by injecting gas into a metal container, keeping the entire dispenser under high pressure.
One French consumer group has warned readers for years about faulty connectors on the gas capsules, causing them to break and expel at high speed.

The injuries caused range from broken teeth and tinnitus to multiple fractures and, in one case, the loss of an eye, consumer magazine 60 Millions said. But the magazine says new dispensers made since 2015 appear to be safe.
In 2013, one victim of an exploding cream dispenser told RTL radio: "I had six broken ribs, and my sternum was broken.
"At the hospital, I was told that if the shock and blast had been facing the heart, I would be dead now."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jerry Cotton posted:

actually the moron was the security guard who ditched his job to go watch Herbie Goes Bananas

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Holy poo poo. I use one of these all the time at work. How many N2O chargers are these people putting into them that they're exploding?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think this is one that specifically was recalled

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I like that they mention it's recalled but don't say who made it so people at home can check if they have a potential bomb waiting to go off.
I use them all the time at work too, but I always make sure that it is put together properly and I don't try to cram as many cartridges into it as I can.
Some times it takes two charges to get a good consistency coming out of it and even that makes me nervous.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

So Math posted:

I guess the actual set-up was deemed too unrealistic for the movie.

Bonus OSHA points: The same core had already gone critical before when a different scientist dropped a tungsten brick on it.

I just noticed how close dude's crotch is to that assembly :stonklol:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thumposaurus posted:

I like that they mention it's recalled but don't say who made it so people at home can check if they have a potential bomb waiting to go off.
I use them all the time at work too, but I always make sure that it is put together properly and I don't try to cram as many cartridges into it as I can.
Some times it takes two charges to get a good consistency coming out of it and even that makes me nervous.

I have never put more than 1 charge in at a time, I am sure you can take a guess why.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cause you're a coward

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spog posted:

This annoyed me: they said 'please let us remove this hazard' - got stopped by a court order and then got fined for not removing it.

See also: Love Canal.

"Sell us this property."
"No, we've buried a lot of stuff there, in full accord with existing laws."
"Sell us this property so we can build homes and schools on it."
"What? No way. There's a lot of toxic poo poo buried there. Here, we'll show you where."
"Sell us this property or we'll condemn it and seize it via eminent domain."
"Sigh. Okay. We'll sell it to you for a buck. But if you build homes and schools on it, that's not our fault."
"Great, thanks."

(Some time passes.)

"Okay, we took the property you sold us and built homes and schools on it and broke through the clay burial vault so we could run pipes through it and we used the clay as fill. We're suing you for the cleanup."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

They didn't use it for a bomb. It was supposed to be used in the Operation Crossroads tests but it ended up not being used due to it's radioactivity levels following the criticality accident. It was eventually melted down and used to make other cores.

You're right. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else. I could have sworn a core of some sort involved in an accident was used in a bomb and the explosion was slightly larger than predicted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There were a lot of tests that were larger than expected for whatever reason, most notably Castle Bravo.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Phanatic posted:

See also: Love Canal.

"Sell us this property."
"No, we've buried a lot of stuff there, in full accord with existing laws."
"Sell us this property so we can build homes and schools on it."
"What? No way. There's a lot of toxic poo poo buried there. Here, we'll show you where."
"Sell us this property or we'll condemn it and seize it via eminent domain."
"Sigh. Okay. We'll sell it to you for a buck. But if you build homes and schools on it, that's not our fault."
"Great, thanks."

(Some time passes.)

"Okay, we took the property you sold us and built homes and schools on it and broke through the clay burial vault so we could run pipes through it and we used the clay as fill. We're suing you for the cleanup."

I hate that so much, because it's almost always presented as "This company dumped toxic poo poo in a school area" rather than "they built a school in a toxic waste dump."

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Thumposaurus posted:

Rule of thumb: don't load a dispenser with more than one charger per 0.25 liters of capacity.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

Brazil is a terrifyingly corrupt shithole so you know someone was getting kickbacks somewhere along the line.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Platystemon posted:

There were a lot of tests that were larger than expected for whatever reason, most notably Castle Bravo.

There is a really cool book about DARPA called The Pentagons Brain (by Annie Jacobson, who also wrote a pretty cool book about Area 51) and near the beginning it talks about the absolute terror the scientists faced when they realized the bomb they were testing was much more powerful than it was projected to be. One of the neat OSHA-y parts is that a senior scientist forgot his special Atom-Proof goggles downstairs and there wasn't enough time for him to go get them (ya know, before the thermonuclear bomb went off) so he took a set off a younger scientist, and the younger scientist turned his back to watch what he could of the show from that angle.

"The presence of x-rays made the unseen visible. In the flash of Teller light, Freedman - who was watching the scientists for their reactions - could see their facial bones. In front of me... they were skeletons. Their faces no longer appeared to be human faces, just jawbones and eye sockets. Rows of teeth. Skulls.

Inside the bunker, the firing party was silent. They could not feel or see the fireball. All they had to go on was the violent electronic chatter on the equipment racks. O'Keefe, another scientist, had calculated that it would take 45 seconds for the shock wave to travel the nineteen miles from ground zero across the lagoon and hit the bunker. And so when the bunker began to shudder and sway, O'Keefe instantly knew that something unexpected had happened. He recalled: the whole building was moving. Not shaking or or shuddering as it would from the shock wave that had not arrived yet, but a slow, perceptible motion. Like a ships roll. He felt nauseated, completely unable to get it through his head that the building was moving. Objects on the surfaces and walls began to rattle, slide and crash. It was impossible for the shock wave to have reached the island, but the bunker was moving, the motion was unmistakable as it built up.

Lights flickered, and the wall began to bulge. Then there was a loud and frightening crash, like a thunderclap, as the giant steel door beat like a drumhead. Then the worst possible element was thrown into the mix: WATER. THERE IS WATER COMING IN. His legs went rubbery - it was too early for a tidal wave, and he began to think that perhaps the entire ocean had erupted around them. Their bunker would now be at the bottom of the lagoon, a watery tomb. Dr. John Clark sent a technician to investigate. The technician found that the bunker was not underwater at all, the water had come from burst pipes. The group then decided to take a look outside, Geiger counters in hand.

The situation was worse than anybody could have anticipated. Palm trees were on fire. Dead birds littered the land. There was no visible life, and they sensed that there might not be life anywhere. The sun was blotted out behind the nuclear mushroom cloud. The air was filled with a whitish chaff, O'Keefe recalled. He stuck out his hand, which was soon covered with a substance like talcum powder. When O'Keefe turned on his Geiger counter to check for radiation, the needle spiked. Someone else shouted out a dangerous radiation level. If a human were exposed to this level of radiation for 25 minutes, they would be dead. The men all ran back into the bunker, but inside, behind three-foot concrete walls, there were also life-threatening radiation levels. The group retreaded to a region far back in the bunker, behind a second concrete wall block where the urinals were. They called for an emergency evacuation but were told it was too dangerous to send a helicopter just yet. The bunker was designed with a ten-thousand factor of radiation blocking. Whatever was going inside the bunker, outside it was ten thousand times worse. They were just going to have to wait it out."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus that had the rising dread of a lovecraft story, but it's real life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This seems fine to me. :ussr:

Platystemon posted:

IIRC Castle Bravo was much bigger than anticipated because of an unforeseen nuclear reaction that converts lithium-7, which was expected to be inert, into tritium. Essentially, at the moment of detonation, the bomb transmuted a large chunk of its core "filler" into additional fusion fuel.

Whoops.

(Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Castle Bravo primary was made from the Demon Core, though?)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 22, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

actually the moron was the security guard who ditched his job to go watch Herbie Goes Bananas

No way it's a classic.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

I didn't realise anyone actually used these to dispense whipped cream.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Lone Badger posted:

I didn't realise anyone actually used these to dispense whipped cream.

dingdingding someone else finally joined in the fun, that's precisely why I never put more than one cartridge in!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
They've got all kinds of uses, like making instant green dragon.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

So Math posted:

I guess the actual set-up was deemed too unrealistic for the movie.

Bonus OSHA points: The same core had already gone critical before when a different scientist dropped a tungsten brick on it.

I didn't realize how long people have had to wear those drat picture ID badges. And you can spoof them the same way now as back then.

That's a hell of a thing. "Oh no! I'm going to burn to death!" Then BAM! You spasm to death. Very ugly. Bastards.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ceiling fan posted:

I didn't realize how long people have had to wear those drat picture ID badges. And you can spoof them the same way now as back then.

well tbf that photo is from what was at the time the most secretive and secure military research installation in the country. I don't think your average factory worker or data processor started having to wear those until much more recently

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

drat, RIP dat rear end

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ceiling fan posted:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oops wrong link

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3juHtXISlcM

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Just curious about the whipped cream dispensers you all are referring to. I'm assuming it's not the ReddiWhip type that you buy in the supermarket? What type of dispenser is it, exactly? Because I've never seen one where you load in the nitrous.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Where's all that rock and rubble even coming from :psyduck:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Where's all that rock and rubble even coming from :psyduck:

Probably used to be a chimney or smokestack there. Probably came all the way up to where the floating scaffold is. You can see the tarp for when they were sliding rubble off the roof, or maybe the tarp is to cover the hole where the chimney was.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Zipperelli. posted:

Just curious about the whipped cream dispensers you all are referring to. I'm assuming it's not the ReddiWhip type that you buy in the supermarket? What type of dispenser is it, exactly? Because I've never seen one where you load in the nitrous.

Supposedly one of these:

The failure mode is apparently that the little CO2 cylinder attachment point fails and it shoots off like a bullet.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Anta posted:

Supposedly one of these:

The failure mode is apparently that the little CO2 cylinder attachment point fails and it shoots off like a bullet.

Does that white plastic piece thread onto the metal nipple to puncture the end of the CO2 canister. If so that is dumb as hell design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

this kills the blog