Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I haven't played 5 or 6 but I don't understand what you guys mean by "spins" in this context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Basticle posted:

I haven't played 5 or 6 but I don't understand what you guys mean by "spins" in this context

6 had these giveaways (like a game show spin) either at the end of race series or when you leveled up, can't remember which, but they were frequent enough and they basically dumpstered you with cash and cars.

I like it personally, in a racing/car game one shouldn't look at x car and go "okay I'll never be able to afford that unless I grind out RPG-levels of playtime".

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Forza 4 gave you a choice of 1 out of a handful of similar cars every time you leveled.

I thought that was pretty rad.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
yeah overall i think its good that the game basically gives you any car you want from the start.

i think more players are interested in collecting cars like pokemon than focusing on tuning a single model to compete in every class

i'm not even really interested in exotic cars but they lose what little bit that makes them neat when you can get one as easily as a lexus. and more often than not you cant even modify them very much.

Thief fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 22, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
See I don't care at all for car collecting mechanics. Give me access to all the cars and tracks. I can make my own fun.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
It would be a decent compromise if the game let you drive any car on any track both in single player and online as much as you wanted, but you'd have to buy the car to paint it non-manufacturer colors or upgrade/tune it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I very much prefer driving an upgraded S Class 180sx or FD RX-7 than a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I do like the Porsches though. I don't like driving the hypercars at all. Sometimes the race cars are cool, especially when goon-racing with a spec, but stock, near-stock, or comedy-modded street cars are my favorite. I also like driving cars as close to the ones I've owned in real life, like with similar mods and stuff. I used to drive a 4 speed automatic RX-8 before I learned to drive stick (it was fun anyway, haters) and built one with the specific gear ratio from my car in Forza and brought it to a "bring your real life car" goon race in Forza 4 and it was pretty fun. I did the same when I owned a (manual) NC Miata, the one in the game has a 6 speed so I messed with the gear ratios and made them match my 5 speed, put stickier tires on and did the same suspension mods. It's nerdy and pointless but it's much more fun than blasting around Prague in a McLaren P1.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 22, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should just have an option that unlocks all the cars and makes upgrades free. I don't care about money, I just want to build cars and have fun. It's not like money even matters in online.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I played about 5% of the career mode in 4 but i don't remember ever not being able to afford a car* or upgrades just from making money in online races so

*The 16 million dollar Ferrari not withstanding.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

for the full experience they should replace the auction house with a virtual craigslist where players can lie about their mileage on their inexplicable engine swaps

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's especially dumb when you buy DLC. You buy the cars but then you have to grind in game to buy them in game.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My all time favorite car is the Toyota 2000GT which I first learned about in Forza. Got to see one at the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA last weekend. It's much smaller in person than I thought it would be. My father in law was like "look at this Maserati, or this amazing Ferrari" while I'm losing my poo poo over a 150HP Toyota.

Cojawfee posted:

It's especially dumb when you buy DLC. You buy the cars but then you have to grind in game to buy them in game.

Forza 5 and 6 (along with Horizon 2 and 3) got rid of this and any DLC car can be added to your garage free. You have to go to the auto show and "buy" them but the price for them is "free"

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 22, 2017

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

GutBomb posted:

My all time favorite car is the Toyota 2000GT which I first learned about in Forza. Got to see one at the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA last weekend. It's much smaller in person than I thought it would be. My father in law was like "look at this Maserati, or this amazing Ferrari while I'm losing my poo poo over a 150HP Toyota.

iirc either the first or second Gran Turismo game had this semi-hidden in the used cars list early on in the game and was considerably expensive so you had to actually try and get it before it was too late.

i guess it was a sort of easter egg or whatever but stuff like that is awesome even if grinding out cyber currency is dumb

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

2000gt was definitely in gt2 and it showed up relatively often. i drove it lots.

gt2 was the game that turned me from a racing fan to a car fan. it also introduced me to my dream car, the autozam az-1, which i will own in real life someday. shame that series is poo poo pooped out of a butt nowadays.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I wouldn't know if GT is poo poo. Forgot what the handling and everything is like since its been so loving long since I've played one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the handling isn't the problem. or wasn't until gt6 when they hosed the handling on mid-engined cars. the problem is just the whole game part of the game. it flows like poo poo and feels just so goddamn clumsy and outdated compared with forza.

gt5 was grindier than a fuckin mmo, it was absurd.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Talking about GT? Sorry, can't hear you over the constant tire squeal in every turn ever

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

metallicaeg posted:

Talking about GT? Sorry, can't hear you over the constant tire squeal in every turn ever

You can hear tire sqeal over the vacuum cleaner they recorded for all of the engine noise? Or the one "thud.wav" sound effect they use for body contact.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

financially racist posted:

2000gt was definitely in gt2 and it showed up relatively often. i drove it lots.

gt2 was the game that turned me from a racing fan to a car fan. it also introduced me to my dream car, the autozam az-1, which i will own in real life someday. shame that series is poo poo pooped out of a butt nowadays.

I might be thinking of a specific color then idk

but used cars own. Forza should log every player that owned the car since you instead of just the original owner and maybe how many miles they put on it or something like that? For novelty sake. And some guy's youtube views.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Oh ho ho, what's up youtube. Make sure you SLAM that like and subscribe button. Also make sure to punch that bell icon so will always receive notifications about Jimmy Dickbutt Car Videos! *30 second loud metal song intro* Today I've got a special treat just for you guys. What I have here is a Ferrari 488 with 25 owners who each put 100,000 miles on the car. Is this a record? you're about to find out. First let's jump into 10 crazy things you didn't know about the Ferrari 488 in Forza Motorsport 7!"

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My favorite GT fact is that the original pressings of GT2 had a glitch where if you used the car wash a certain # of times (I think it was 100?) It would wipe your memory card

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

the handling isn't the problem. or wasn't until gt6 when they hosed the handling on mid-engined cars. the problem is just the whole game part of the game. it flows like poo poo and feels just so goddamn clumsy and outdated compared with forza.

gt5 was grindier than a fuckin mmo, it was absurd.

This is spot on. Oh, and one more thing. The god awful load times. Even going from the main menu to one of the submenus took something like a full minute. It was insane. Actually starting a race took at least twice that. Every single time. Gran Turismo 5 officially turned me off of buying any Gran Turismo game ever again as long as it's remotely similar.

Also never forget GT5's Paint Chip system for being one of the lamest ideas ever put into any racing game.

I actually did kind of like GT's oil change system, but like cosmetic damage, it should be entirely optional. It could even work really well in Forza as an optional thing that would to give you more experience if enabled and you didn't have to travel through five loading screens to get to it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 22, 2017

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Basticle posted:

My favorite GT fact is that the original pressings of GT2 had a glitch where if you used the car wash a certain # of times (I think it was 100?) It would wipe your memory card

There were a ton of glitches in the early pressings (three revisions total, last ones were black and white disc labels). I accidentally wiped my memory card, twice, because I was rotating out 2-3 memory cards with the same file but different cars in each garage since one file only held 100? cars. So I'd keep copying the files between two and then trading cars between the other one to extend my capacity. Still loved that game so much that after clearing the data twice I started up a third blank garage.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
For some reason the US/EU versions of GT1 were very janky, I had a pirate copy of the japanese version months before it came out in english. Plus in those days the pal version always ran slightly slower and looked squashed. I remember just going back to the japanese version after I actually bought the game.

GT6 had completely broken camber out of the box, like adding negative camber flatout reduced grip in corners and also changing wheels on cars with staggered wheels messed up handling because they never thought about adding different width aftermarket wheels for some reason. But hey! You could race on the moon lol!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Gran Turismo has been bad for long enough that discussing it in the Forza thread is a waste of time.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It's just a shame because it was the one thing that got me interested in cars in the first place when I was a gay teen. Apart from the very dated graphics the first few games are still fun to play imo. Also GT has better made up tracks, I'd swap maple valley for, grand valley or trial mountain any day.

Also forza is lacking in the smooth Japanese jazz department.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 22, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Polyphony at least had the decency to put out the only good motorcycle game, Tourist Trophy, before losing the thread.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I am remember there was an article on jalopnik a year or 2 ago that showed how green forest or whatever it was called in gt1 seemed to be based on some disused track in the middle of the woods in bumfuck Iowa that you can barely see in Google maps.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Tried GT3 at first since I never owned a PS1, just didn't work out. Tried GT4 after getting into Forza 2 with similar gameplay and I still just couldn't get into it. But GT didn't (and AFAIK still doesn't to this day) have the revolutionary decal system Forza does so that pretty much solidified my flagship console car game of choice.

You know what pissed me off in FM6? Mods. Specifically how I've probably pissed away 15-20 million attempting to obtain one single dare mod for an achievement. I'd actually like to use all my credits on cars in the next game if they don't mind.

I'm bracing myself hard for 7, since it seems it will have a very heavy emphasis on collecting cars than it ever did before.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The mods system should just be reworked into a career mode pit crew

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Basticle posted:

I am remember there was an article on jalopnik a year or 2 ago that showed how green forest or whatever it was called in gt1 seemed to be based on some disused track in the middle of the woods in bumfuck Iowa that you can barely see in Google maps.

Old tracks fascinate me so here is the article.

https://jalopnik.com/was-a-gran-turismo-track-inspired-by-this-abandoned-cir-451012668

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

This is cool. Also it turns out the screen lock pattern on my phone is based on special stage rt 11

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

I said come in! posted:

I am trying to get the affinity level of all car manufacturers to level 25 before Forza 7. I don't think I am going to reach this goal but I have I think 30 manufacturers there so far.

I was working on this before I got FH3, and after I tired of it. I'm further then I thought I could get, but I'll never get them all. Especially the manufacturers with only one vehicle.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

I like it personally, in a racing/car game one shouldn't look at x car and go "okay I'll never be able to afford that unless I grind out RPG-levels of playtime".

This was a big issue in Forza 3 and 4. There were some cars that were just way too difficult to get.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

This was a big issue in Forza 3 and 4. There were some cars that were just way too difficult to get.

wtf i had so much money in forza 4 that i gave 20 million to a new player for kicks and still had 50 million left over

that was with a garage that was completely full including all the most expensive cars in the game

forza 3 it was tough to get the money for the pricier cars but forza 4 just handed you a loving bucketload at all times

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Eh, I dunno, still kinda tough getting the millions I need for the FM4 achievement cars. I don't have the DLC benchmark moneymaker track either, so getting all those together plus all that various specific cars I need to finish the event list is gonna be quite the grind.

Hell I wouldn't mind some donations and a club to join in FM4 if anyone still has access to it.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 23, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I just hope the tune limit goes away. Jesus christ what an annoyingly pointless thing to have in game. Or for it to be so low.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

geeves posted:

I just hope the tune limit goes away. Jesus christ what an annoyingly pointless thing to have in game. Or for it to be so low.

Apparently this has to do with a file size limit. Microsoft imposes a limit for save file sizes. Probably because all saves get backed up online. They budget a certain size for each game, probably.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

wtf i had so much money in forza 4 that i gave 20 million to a new player for kicks and still had 50 million left over

that was with a garage that was completely full including all the most expensive cars in the game

forza 3 it was tough to get the money for the pricier cars but forza 4 just handed you a loving bucketload at all times
A lot of people in this thread play the game A LOT. But, there are a lot of people who play it casually, and buying several cars that are 10 million credits or more just isn't feasible for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Usually there is some sort of money exploit that pops up. I spent a few hours one night in Forza 3 or 4 selling some camaro or something that netted me millions of credits so I could buy whatever I wanted. There was another exploit that popped up in Forza 6. I did that one too until people started posting that Turn 10 was retaliating against them, which is stupid. The money serves no purpose besides gating content in a racing game that has no story.

• Locked thread