Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean the whole point is that you have to attempt it multiple times. Despite what the game says, there's no stress penalty for abandoning the quest. When you attempt it again your team will start wherever you retreated from too.

Best way to do it is probably to just leave once your inventory is full of loot rather than try to force your way through it.

Oh wow what?! I didn't know we come back to where we left off! That makes it more bearable and explains the 6 invites in my estate.

Ithle01 posted:

Also, bring flagellants. They're literally designed for the place. Too bad my current people with the curse are a vestal, antiquarian, and a leper. Got the last two in a cove run when those drat bugs showed up and hosed things right up. I get the feeling at a certain point I'm going to have to start firing these dicks so they don't drink all my blood stash.

Yeah I had a flagellant but a ghoul yelled at me multiple times there and I could not keep up with the stress management. I almost feel like a Jester is necessary there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I did the cannon boss and a shambler and my party is still in such good shape, let's do another one

dead in 2 rounds :prepop:

houndmaster/bounty hunter/arbalest is... good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way to check how much blood and invitations you have?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Is there a boss for the Courtyard? Besides from Crocco. And the fanatic.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So I see the devs said that Darkest Dungeon is "Extremely Likely" to make it to iPad at their AMA.

I am pretty hyped for that. Or would be if I didn't know it will take a long time to port over (because stuff just happens far too slowly for me).

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
"Significantly" increased blood drop rates with the latest hotfix

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've just had 2 encounters/curios that dropped 2 Blood, so yeah. But it still needs tweaking; I think the progress of the Crimson Curse could be slower. Taking cursed heroes on a long quest is a bad idea.

On the bright side, apparently the Crimson Curse makes you immune to all other diseases. Had an Antiquarian with The Yips get infected, and now it's gone.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any way to check how much blood and invitations you have?

Above the Crimson Court location in the estate map is a paper with a number next to it. This is your number of invitations.

As for blood, the only indication I know of is in the provisions screen. It'll also warn you if you take too much on a mission that wasting heroes might die from a lack of it that week.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Samovar posted:

Is there a boss for the Courtyard? Besides from Crocco. And the fanatic.

Yeah the Baron, Viacount, and Countess respectively. Killing each gives you a special boss trophy trinket (like killing champion bosses) as well as a set item.

The dungeon for each of those bosses is very long and meant to be done in multiple attempts. Once you defeat the boss your entire roster gets cured of the curse. The infestation level then just goes up gradually as normally until you gather invitations again when it is high and you can enter the next difficulty of the Crimson Court.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 22, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
any CC cures after them bosses dead?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I've heard a rumor that you can do repeatable missions after you beat all the bosses, and I'm guessing there's some way to clear it off that way. The thing is, if the curse permanently goes away, then all those trinkets that only work when cursed become useless, and I'm fairly certain all the boss trophies you get only benefit a hero with the curse (Baron's Lash, for example, gives like 75% debuff resist and a few other things but only works on a cursed hero). So there's gotta be some mechanic to juggling back and forth with being cursed after the boss fights.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Forgetting torches is about how half of my runs go. I've done so many deliberately no light missions that now I am conditioned to ignore them when buying inventory :(

Forgetting food though, that's like an instant failstate most of the time. It's like having to run from a Shambler 4-5 times. That's a high tax to pay. At least the game warns you now!

@ Flagellant talk - I still haven't gotten a chance to play. How would you guys rate him? How many could you see yourself including in your roster? 1, 2, 3, even 4+?

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Forgetting torches is about how half of my runs go. I've done so many deliberately no light missions that now I am conditioned to ignore them when buying inventory :(

Forgetting food though, that's like an instant failstate most of the time. It's like having to run from a Shambler 4-5 times. That's a high tax to pay. At least the game warns you now!

@ Flagellant talk - I still haven't gotten a chance to play. How would you guys rate him? How many could you see yourself including in your roster? 1, 2, 3, even 4+?

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Funso Banjo posted:

So I see the devs said that Darkest Dungeon is "Extremely Likely" to make it to iPad at their AMA.

I've been waiting for that forever, they mentioned a long time ago it was something they were going to do. After how well FTL on iOS turned out Darkest Dungeon seems like it would be in a similar situation as well.

The DLC seem like it's worth picking up so far? I haven't played in a while but seeing the recent added attention is making me want to play it again.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
You can only take 1 max, he's that badass :black101:

Flagellant is amazing. He has good bleed abilities, some situational heals, can siphon stress of allies in exchange for stressing himself a bit, and has a passive damage buff and party buff when under a third health/on Death's Door respectively. Martyr's Seal is actually really useful on him (it also got buffed to give +15% HP, so it will still help when off Death's Door).

He's pretty much designed around running the Crimson Court.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Makaris posted:

Crazy overpowered. He's a respectable damage-dealer with the best self-heal in the game that he can use while simultaneously dishing out situationally top tier damage. He makes the Abomination look like a chump, without any of the Abomination's drawbacks. He's one of my highest priorities to get multiples of; I don't know if I'd run 4+ since his bleed-based damage suffers in cove and (especially) ruins, but I definitely want 2 at all times and 3 seems like a reasonable target.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I haven't played this game in a year, but I played like 120 hours of it and the game was my bitch. Rolled into the Courtyard with some level zeros. Met the crocodile. Goddamn I missed this game.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Straight White Shark posted:

Crazy overpowered. He's a respectable damage-dealer with the best self-heal in the game that he can use while simultaneously dishing out situationally top tier damage. He makes the Abomination look like a chump, without any of the Abomination's drawbacks. He's one of my highest priorities to get multiples of; I don't know if I'd run 4+ since his bleed-based damage suffers in cove and (especially) ruins, but I definitely want 2 at all times and 3 seems like a reasonable target.

You can only take 1 in a party. But the - bleed resist debuff he gets on his skills make even cove enemies vulnerable.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

But the - bleed resist debuff he gets on his skills make even cove enemies vulnerable.

You keep saying this but spending a turn using a lovely attack in order to set up for a normal attack is not really a great strategy. He's still usable because his healing is that insane, but he's distinctly less effective.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
It's not wasting a turn, it frees you up to take other heroes in there that benefit from the decreased bleed resist. I haven't found the bleed resist of fish men to be all that of a problem; it's not insanely high like undead enemies. He's pretty fast so debuffing the bleed resist on a tough enemy like a crab makes heroes that lack blight but have bleed attacks more useful.

The bleed resist debuff also comes into play against bosses, where repeatedly using punish on a multi action enemy is making all the bleed abilities that much more reliable and can inflict a lot of damage.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

any decent streamers for this since the dlc is out? i used to watch matt oblivium cause he was really good at it but hes doing some weird elder scrolls hearthstone game cause its too hip right now to stream darkest dungeon and he wouldnt get new viewers i guess lmao streamers are weird

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EndgameBlues

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Straight White Shark posted:

You keep saying this but spending a turn using a lovely attack in order to set up for a normal attack is not really a great strategy. He's still usable because his healing is that insane, but he's distinctly less effective.

That's right marking is dumb

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
marking is only worthwhile on big enemies you expect to survive for many rounds, this is known. nobody marks a ruins cultist because you just murder her instead. debuffing is even more situational honestly, especially resist debuffing. damage or speed debuffs are arguably something else.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That's right marking is dumb

:agreed: thx for being so sensible

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Arbalest gets +100% damage and +10% crit vs marked targets; that means in average she'll do more cumulative damage by alternating between marking and shooting. Not to mention marked targets tend to have their dodge or prot reduced, making them even easier to hit.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I mark crabs because gently caress them

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I mean yeah the the whole point is that you use mwrks vs tough enemies. But there are a few other perks to mark teams:

-The anti marked skills are perfectly serviceable attacking non marked targets, so it's not like a net loss to dagger throw a non marked target.

-applying a mark has it stick 100% of the time, it doesn't roll against debuff resistance so even the cannon can get marked.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Marking is very good in Champion, and less necessary/more situational in lower difficulties. But I'd still argue it's good on bosses, regardless of difficulty. It's a boss killer, without a doubt.

I agree with Panfilo about the Arbalest, removing a ton of dodge from the target takes frustration out of fights, and you get more consistency. If you mark a target with Arbalest, she'll often one-shot it with Sniper Shot, or she'll land a huge crit, removing a gigantic chunk of their health.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Did they nerf the abomination's damage at some point? They did, didn't they? I'm struggling to get good use out of this guy

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
these guys who don't mark will never know the delight of a 61 damage crit

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Relin posted:

these guys who don't mark will never know the delight of a 61 damage crit

Neo-Jester with +183% damage on Finale can hit that easy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
The one thing that could make marks better is to have their duration tied to rounds, not actions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Arbalest gets +100% damage and +10% crit vs marked targets; that means in average she'll do more cumulative damage by alternating between marking and shooting. Not to mention marked targets tend to have their dodge or prot reduced, making them even easier to hit.

Damage modifiers are additive, so this is only true if your arbalest has +20% or less damage from trinkets/traits/buffs. If you're specced for damage at all you're going to do more damage doing Sniper's Shot -> Sniper's Shot than Mark -> Sniper's Shot. You get twice as many crit rolls that way, meaning that even with the crit bonus from marking you get more crit recovery from just spamming Sniper's Shot. Plus, against squishy targets fully upgraded Sniper's Shot is going to have at least a 1 in 6 chance to crit and kill outright in a single action while marking is always going to require at least 2 actions.

Marking is always going to have its place but for most purposes it's still inferior to just spamming attacks.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I really only like the prot marks. But I haven't played a lot of champion yet. Couldn't dodgy people avoid the mark?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I really only like the prot marks. But I haven't played a lot of champion yet. Couldn't dodgy people avoid the mark?

They can resist the debuff but not the mark.

The exception might be vulnerability hex, which is a ranged attack that marks and debuffs. They might dodge the initial attack, canceling everything else.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I mean, IronicDongz just posted a series of screenshots where a marking party was able to take down a Shambler in two rounds. It's kinda hard to argue with that.

And when it comes to Champion mode, you're doing yourself a disservice by not taking advantage of the marking game mechanic. You don't need to mark every single enemy, but just look at an enemy like the Swine Skiver from the Warrens. It has +15% PROT, 32 dodge, and 51 health. I'd argue that you're very much intended to mark him in order to reduce his defenses.

If you just spam regular attacks at him and hope for the best, the Swine Skiver could last a few extra rounds, and might punish the hell out of your party with Cripple Them, bringing multiple heroes to Death's Door. He's supposed to be eliminated quickly. And a similar argument could be made for marking Swinetaur Champions, or other heavy hitters.

There are situations where marking just makes sense, it makes a fight way more manageable.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 22, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
For some novelty, one of the Bounty Hunters Crimson Court sets gives him like +15% damage vs marked, stunned, and bleeding targets. The set bonus tacks on +3% crit to these targets as well. This sounds useful, especially since your Houndmaster's set bonus gives significant bonuses vs bleeding targets as well.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait mark is on an action timer? I never realized this in my short experience of the Darkest exploration. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Panfilo posted:

They can resist the debuff but not the mark.

The exception might be vulnerability hex, which is a ranged attack that marks and debuffs. They might dodge the initial attack, canceling everything else.

But isn't there a dodge check before resists take place? I think I'd try my luck rolling more attacks