Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What is carol even doing, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

My money's on making Misaki jealous by dating Jun.

Jun would go along with it because he wants to try fighting a pissed off Misaki.

Anyone want to bet against?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Carol's plan is to prove she belongs in this comic by being extremely dumb.

Alternately she thinks Misaki likes Tomo a lot, and in jealousy is using Jun to hurt Tomo in revenge, which she thinks will make her only two friends be her only two former friends.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 21, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

My money's on making Misaki jealous by dating Jun.

Jun would go along with it because he wants to try fighting a pissed off Misaki.

Anyone want to bet against?

It's probably that but Jun doesn't realise any of it's happening since he's dense.

She thinks this will get Tomo to hate her since she's flirting with Jun and that it'll make Misuzu hate her because Misuzu plans on getting Jun and Tomo together since she's using that as an excuse to hang out with Tomo. Though there was a whole thing about how Misuzu's having second thoughts about that plan probably since it means Jun will end up closer to Tomo than her anyway. So I dunno, it's likely going to be pretty silly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just want to see pissed off Misaki again dagnabbit.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

I just want to see pissed off Carol again dagnabbit.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Carol is intensely powerful

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

she never stops smiling, the smiles just get sadder.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

this is shockingly accurate teenager behavior

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Carol because she's the only character in this manga who doesn't really fit any existing manga character stereotypes. Misuzu is cool, but she's also a relatively standard "acerbic ice queen" type character, while I can't really think of any clear comparisons for Carol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Griffith from Berserk

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She'll pile up the cobblestones, and reach the castle in the sky

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I like Carol because she's the only character in this manga who doesn't really fit any existing manga character stereotypes. Misuzu is cool, but she's also a relatively standard "acerbic ice queen" type character, while I can't really think of any clear comparisons for Carol.

Ditzy character who is actually really smart or perceptive is also an archetype

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
As is the token blonde and blue-eyed Westerner trope and being a rich girl.

That said, she's probably one of the few characters of that type that actually plays a huge role in a series and is written in an endearing and actually hilarious way. The comedy that comes from her isn't just the usual "I'm a Westerner look how weird I am/Wow Japan is so whacky I'm so out of place!" Carol's interactions with the rest of the cast is just great.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 22, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Carol what the hell.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

no drone has ever been more obviously carol's mom's drone

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Carol is the best.

Also that drone is hella adorable.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Can't wait for Carol to reveal that she's Batman.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Carol has a personal robot army, she is literally unstoppable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if only she would use her immense power to make the world a better place (by removing jun from it)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

From overseas, delivery by drone, very powerful.

Conclusion: Carol is Jeff Bezos.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if only she would use her immense power to make the world a better place (by removing jun from it)

Jun is actually increadibly cool and good and i dont get some people's hate for him.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
He can be a bro sometimes, but it feels like he reinforces Tomo's idiocy instead of actually being a buddy/love interest that helps her improve as a person, especially since he puts her on a pedestal.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

Jun is actually increadibly cool and good and i dont get some people's hate for him.

Jun's growing on me now that we're getting more insight into his issues.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Compendium posted:

He can be a bro sometimes, but it feels like he reinforces Tomo's idiocy instead of actually being a buddy/love interest that helps her improve as a person, especially since he puts her on a pedestal.

I'm starting to change my thinking on that. He's put Tomo on a pedestal, yeah, but I think it's more that he's got just really lovely self esteem. Jun is measuring himself against his inflated image of Tomo, a standard he'll never be able to meet. He's not being fair to Tomo because he's not seeing her as she is, but I think he's being less fair to himself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also he's really, really, really, really, really dense

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

VERY thick, in multiple ways

a thickboy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like anime denseness makes more sense when you mentally translate things to a real-life situation. Like, with anime faces it's really obvious when a character is romantically interested in another character, but in real life there generally aren't the same "this person is obviously attracted to this other person" expressions (at least not unless the person is specifically trying to show their interest).

There's also the fact that, as readers, we're aware from the beginning that there's going to be some romantic pairings between characters, but in real life someone could always just be attracted to an "NPC" instead (or no one at all).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Does this mean I should stop looking for glowing red cheeks when girls deign to talk to me?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Compendium posted:

That seems like the point

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm IRL denser than Jun so he's pretty believable

(or at least i was as a teenager)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

chumbler posted:

Jun's growing on me now that we're getting more insight into his issues.

I can agree on the fact that we're getting more insight at least

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cotton Candy prefers learning with Protractors and Resonance of Fate.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Isn't Carol a rich Brit? Shouldn't she know how to play badminton?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I think it's cute that Jun is actually going along with this for real now. :allears:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Jun and Carol hook up for real.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Overlord K posted:

I think it's cute that Jun is actually going along with this for real now. :allears:

If Jun leaves, Carol will be waiting in the park for him to return, and as she said, Jun would never leave someone just waiting for him.

Also I was half expecting Carol to be too weak to hit the birdie.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Something tells me carol knows exactly how to play badminton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wallrod posted:

Something tells me carol knows exactly how to play badminton

you can't play badminton by yourself