Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HappyHippo posted:

Is Johnson a conservative? Obviously the other three are. Now all we need is a few moderate defections to yank it at the other end and there's a good chance it could fall apart.

In this scenario he is one of "the moderates" because Ohio needs more funding for opioids and expanded medicaid.

ignore this post: i confused johnson with portman. johnson i have no loving idea what hes doing.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Are we going to try to pin our hopes on it not being evil enough again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aves Maria! posted:

Wait, so Collins and Murkowski are actually for this shitshow or they haven't yet decided? Because if it turns out to be 6 against, I'm feeling pretty confident nothing will be passed.

They also "said" they wouldn't vote to defund Planned Parenthood.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

evilweasel posted:

In this scenario he is one of "the moderates" because Ohio needs more funding for opioids and expanded medicaid.

Ron Johnson is a tea partier, though?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Johnson is from Wisconsin.

same thing tho

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aves Maria! posted:

Ron Johnson is a tea partier, though?

yeah i just realized johnson is not portman, i don't know how those two got crossed in my brain

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

between being saved by rand paul and dying, im feeling very conflicted

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Murkowski actually didn't vote to defund PP iirc, she voted against the original obamacare repeal as a result.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mcmagic posted:

this is a hell of a non sequitur

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I assume Heller is fully onboard this poo poo show?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

cyphr555 posted:

Johnson is from Wisconsin.

same thing tho

He got his seat by a ~4% margin last year so provided people remember...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

*Hems and haws, votes yes*

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Are we sunk far enough to pin our hopes on Ted Cruz? God, I hope not.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Endorph posted:

between being saved by rand paul and dying, im feeling very conflicted

"saved". They'll just remove MORE poo poo and he'll vote for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aves Maria! posted:

this is a hell of a non sequitur

Not really. It's in the bill.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Those four could also be trying to exact concessions before the amendments are proposed. They may flip yes if nothing changes.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Looks like the moderates are feeling lucky, and they may only be saved by the combined evil of the four biggest shitheads in the Senate

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don't understand Ted's angle here. Why is he opposed?

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Revelations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not evil enough.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

doesn't repeal obamacare enough, same as paul and lee

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's not evil enough. He probably wants something closer to full repeal.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

moostaffa posted:

"saved". They'll just remove MORE poo poo and he'll vote for it.

At this point why are they leaving anything unstripped?

McConnell might as well just force the "moderate" hands and make it as draconian as he literally can under reconciliation rules.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably doesn't kill enough people fast enough.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mcmagic posted:

Not really. It's in the bill.

what you posted in no way answered my question and it was barely connected to it at all

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HappyHippo posted:

Paul Cruz Johnson and Lee are the four horsemen

Hey, at least now we will have actual Death Panels!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Heller is the same as Collins: he "has concerns" and will likely vote yes if his vote is needed in exchange for a fig leaf, will vote no if it's going down anyway.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's crazy tea party.

Bill does not give shivs to conservatives with which to execute the sick

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It falls short of his vaunted goal of the immediate execution of anyone above a certain blood pressure.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Lol they'll amend it to make it worse and none of the "moderates" will flip to no because there are literally no Republican moderates

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LaserShark posted:

Are we sunk far enough to pin our hopes on Ted Cruz? God, I hope not.

ted cruz will never do the right thing for the right reasons, but sometimes he'll do the right thing because it's stabbing other republicans in the back

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because he's a scorpion and he doesn't know how to not sting.

The only question is if this means the bill is about to get worse or if they just try to let the whole thing die finally.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He wants zero government dollars to go to pay for health care.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This just further reinforces my belief that a Ted Cruz Presidency would have been the true Worst Timeline.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's impressive that there isn't a single "moderate" that even wants to look like they aren't ready and willing to literally murder people.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This just further reinforces my belief that a Ted Cruz Presidency would have been the true Worst Timeline.

Nah, this is worse.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Murkowski actually didn't vote to defund PP iirc, she voted against the original obamacare repeal as a result.

I'm pretty confident that Murkowski wouldn't go for this, given her record and on grounds that she opposes eliminating the Medicaid expansion. Now if only Sullivan wasn't such a worthless rear end in a top hat...

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Lemming posted:

Lol they'll amend it to make it worse and none of the "moderates" will flip to no because there are literally no Republican moderates

the silver lining is that the original gambit seemed to be to make it just evil enough to get most of the conservatives, but not so evil that it means immediate and harsh electoral repercussions. If they make it more to the fuckhead caucus' tastes, its likely medicaid would phase out before 2020 in which case the gambit has even less chance of working and they're going to get hosed sideways.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

It's impressive that there isn't a single "moderate" that even wants to look like they aren't ready and willing to literally murder people.

no, that's exactly what they're doing. they express concerns. they're concerned about murdering people. real concerned.

oh look, they got an amendment that one lucky person will be granted thirty days of free health insurance every decade. see, they were so concerned, they got that man 30 days of healthcare. so they voted yes, but they were concerned.

they want to look like they're not ready and willing to literally murder people, they just still want to actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Stickman posted:

I'm pretty confident that Murkowski wouldn't go for this, given her record and on grounds that she opposes eliminating the Medicaid expansion. Now if only Sullivan wasn't such a worthless rear end in a top hat...

If I'm still in Colorado in 2020, I'm going to get so much satisfaction out of voting Corey Gardner's rear end into unemployment just for this.

• Locked thread