Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

by the way while it's good that paul/lee/cruz are all out there saying they'll vote no, they're also being real open about that there's deals that could get them to yes. people don't seem to believe it about paul but do believe it about cruz, mostly because there's some thinking that cruz has gone as far as he can in the ~truconservative~ thing and needs to deliver on some ability to get things done and tamp down republican hate for him in texas so he doesn't lose his primary

it would also be good to have some firm "hell no" statements out of "moderates" but those don't seem to be coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Millenials will never catch a break. We graduated highschool to get sent to Iraq. We get back in time to go through the Great Recession. Survive that by creating the gig economy and never having a career. Now we get to look forward to climate catastrophe and constant medical anxiety. I hope when the seas rise, the Boomers' coffins are washed away.

Well the greatest generation grew up during the great depression then went on to be drafted to world war 2 what's your loving excuse?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hastings posted:

I've had family members nag at me to buy a house and that we could have another kid as long as "we just started saving money". I would save money if we had any extra, and weren't living pay check to paycheck. There is a huge cognitive abyss where Boomers think they really had it tough so millennials need to "learn the benefits of hard work too".

best is when an old guy who just walked into a couch factory uninvited and got a job for 60 years tells you that getting a decent job is easy

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/markfollman/status/877947677454893056

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Well the greatest generation grew up during the great depression then went on to be drafted to world war 2 what's your loving excuse?

lmao how in the blue gently caress did they convince young people to line up to catch a bullet after growing up in crippling poverty

Promising 3 squares a day must go a hell of a way

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TARDISman posted:

Good on them, but goddammit this might give them the justification of shutting down briefings entirely.

Better they stop briefings in defiance than ween the media into irrelevance.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Greatest Generation were the ones who earned us the good things that the Boomers are now ruining.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Aves Maria! posted:

boomers had it real tough, with their good jobs directly out of high school that paid fair wages with benefits. poo poo was torture

And their beautiful dreams of retirement.

Baby Boomers are an outlier though...our grandparent's generation and prior ones are more populist focused and built on hard work and generosity. The Baby Boomer focus on just putting your head down, fitting in and assimilating with power and searching for pleasure no matter what are poison to a functioning society.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Not a Children posted:

lmao how in the blue gently caress did they convince young people to line up to catch a bullet after growing up in crippling poverty

A better class of enemy, a population that was more trusting of government and less suspicious of the media, you can pick your reason.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Not a Children posted:

Because we were literaly fighting against Hitler?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

THEY PROMISED HOUSING AND A FUTURE, THATS WHAT THEY ALWAYS PROMISE.

Crows Turn Off posted:

How do we get people to see them? How often to these kids of tweets get play on the news?

Share it on your fb publicly and tag your wife if she has conservative parents

i am harry fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 22, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hastings posted:

And their beautiful dreams of retirement.

Baby Boomers are an outlier though...our grandparent's generation and prior ones are more populist focused and built on hard work and generosity. The Baby Boomer focus on just putting your head down, fitting in and assimilating with power and searching for pleasure no matter what are poison to a functioning society.

If we blow up Europe and Asia again we could probably ride pretty high in the US again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Not a Children posted:

Shooting literal Nazis is its own reward.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Greatest Generation were the ones who earned us the good things that the Boomers are now ruining.

sad thing is, people who passed those good things (social security, medicaid, medicare, etc) are still alive (john dingell) and have to watch all of their good work undone by their fuckup kids

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

hm yes, i'll just wait for Donald "FDR" Trump to create a robust social safety net. My union will help me keep my job that supports my whole family, while my GI bill keeps a roof over my family's head. oh wai

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Tim Ryan wrote a pretty scathing critique of the Democratic Party following the losses in both special elections: Special Elections: I Don't Believe in Moral Victories

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Because we were literaly fighting against Hitler?

Remember, if you were anti-Hitler too soon (before 1941) we blacklisted you from work and tried our damnedest to ruin your life.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

young republican voters are monsters but are also a small minority of young people and are lazy about voting, while sickly grandpa probably voted straight-ticket republican in every election since 1992

Young Republicans are the people you see in zombie movies.
Its serious time, its time to survive and work together or its instant death
But they always bickering with each other over stupid stupid poo poo and gently caress themselves over just to spite the others.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Millenials will never catch a break. We graduated highschool to get sent to Iraq. We get back in time to go through the Great Recession. Survive that by creating the gig economy and never having a career. Now we get to look forward to climate catastrophe and constant medical anxiety. I hope when the seas rise, the Boomers' coffins are washed away.

The Gen X boat is small but we will make room for all of you! We've gone through this poo poo at least twice now. :patriot:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

A better class of enemy, a population that was more trusting of government and less suspicious of the media, you can pick your reason.

Also the "they" of the great depression was voted out in favor of the "they" of WWII.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

by the way while it's good that paul/lee/cruz are all out there saying they'll vote no, they're also being real open about that there's deals that could get them to yes. people don't seem to believe it about paul but do believe it about cruz, mostly because there's some thinking that cruz has gone as far as he can in the ~truconservative~ thing and needs to deliver on some ability to get things done and tamp down republican hate for him in texas so he doesn't lose his primary

it would also be good to have some firm "hell no" statements out of "moderates" but those don't seem to be coming

With Trump, Paul, Lee, and Johnson being the ones out, I am less convinced of my theory that there is a plan to get to 50 votes.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

SO we have to have another world war in which every country gets hosed except the US?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why didn't you just get your parents to pay for college get an MBA / engineering degree / be a white male? It's easy!

why don't we destroy all attempts at class solidarity by constantly playing the white privilege card?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

evilweasel posted:

This is the tell. Everything else is for show. It'll pass and it'll be poo poo but in the near future Trump will do a tweet and we'll hear all about how maybe this means he might not actually sign it. Hope is a disease etc..

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Not a Children posted:

Actually gently caress it this page is now a dedication to this great man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFhY6IaUJ40

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

If we blow up Europe and Asia again we could probably ride pretty high in the US again.

Well, since Trump is working his way towards that, I guess he inadvertantly is making America great again.:smugdon:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ozmunkeh posted:

This is the tell. Everything else is for show. It'll pass and it'll be poo poo but in the near future Chimp will do a poo poo and we'll hear all about how maybe this means he might not actually sign it. Hope is a disease etc..

And the real damage will come in 2021, just in time for a Democratic president (and, optimistically, congress) to suffer the consequences while Republicans rage about poor people not having health care.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/877958809477681154
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/877959315201466368

This is at least the fourth time talking points have leaked from the GOP.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So great he violated the rights and ruined the lives of many US citizens because of their heritage and refused jewish refugees entry into the US (while aware that the holocaust was happening). What a leader.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

TARDISman posted:

Good on them, but goddammit this might give them the justification of shutting down briefings entirely.

Why should we be sad about that? At this point, they're basically worthless anyway.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Rand Paul is probably the safest No at this point because this bill is bad for him both ideologically and pragmatically. For opposite reasons, but that's all the more reason to make a lot of noise about opposing it.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Trabisnikof posted:

So great he violated the rights and ruined the lives of many US citizens because of their heritage and refused jewish refugees entry into the US (while aware that the holocaust was happening). What a leader.

great men teach us that there's no such thing as a great man

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

B B posted:

Why should we be sad about that? At this point, they're basically worthless anyway.

Because I like seeing Spicey get dunked on. I dunno, it was honestly just a bad gut reaction.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

hey guys gandhi was racist so i guess that means everything he did is forfeit

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
GOP talking points: Our bill offers unprecedented flexibility (to die due to lack of access to care)!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ozmunkeh posted:

This is the tell. Everything else is for show. It'll pass and it'll be poo poo but in the near future Trump will do a tweet and we'll hear all about how maybe this means he might not actually sign it. Hope is a disease etc..

this isn't a show

this is a bargaining position, the conservative block is trying to get something they couldn't get in negotiations, but most (maybe paul) have things that could get them on board. what matters is what those things are. johnson appears to just want credit for getting something, ignore him. paul seems to want a full repeal of obamacare and is apparently written off as a hard no. lee and cruz, it matters what their specific ask is.

the moderates have things that were pre-planned for them to look to get. collins and heller have already indicated, in so many words, that's the plan. not clear on murkowski, who is probably the most likely to be a hard no from the "moderates". i haven't seen anything from capuito, portman, or the others but the safe thing to say is that if collins and heller are already looking likely to vote for it i wouldn't expect much.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mahoning posted:

Tim Ryan wrote a pretty scathing critique of the Democratic Party following the losses in both special elections: Special Elections: I Don't Believe in Moral Victories

Tim Ryan tried to unseat Pelosi after the election, so yes, of course he did.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

gently caress you he was a God.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFhY6IaUJ40

A good political cartoon would be FDR being dragged from his wheelchair outside McConnell's office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress you he was a God.

God hosed his cousin so that makes it ok

Explains a lot

• Locked thread