Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sadly Matthew Perry and Chris Kristofferson don't bring their A-game, but then Perry got into the game because he was a fan of Fallout 3, and Kristofferson isn't really a voice actor at all. William Sadler on the other hand I didn't recognize at all until someone pointed it out, he is really good for the small bit he plays. And Rene Auberjonois is just fantastic as House.

Yeah Perry was on chatshows talking about how he was obsessed with playing Fallout 3.

I think San Andreas has a great cast, but a lot of the time celebrities in video games is like celebrities in animated movies. It's just a way to sell the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Saints Row also had Burt Reynolds and Keith David as characters played by themselves, both of whom could become Homies.

They also had Hulk Hogan voicing a luchadore

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Man, this just felt like 20 mins of "Souls was good UNTIL THE loving CASUALS RUINED IT". Demon's Souls was good, but goddamn a lot of the mechanics were awkward and ill-explained, even for Souls.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Seriously matt, "oh let's make failure even WORSE for the player alongside calender based tendencies."

Annointed fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 22, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's my hot take, the Souls series is only impressive because most people play games on Normal difficulty, which is baby-easy for 99% of games, so then they're blown away with how "hard" something like Dark Souls is.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

Man, this just felt like 20 mins of "Souls was good UNTIL THE loving CASUALS RUINED IT". Demon's Souls was good, but goddamn a lot of the mechanics were awkward and ill-explained, even for Souls.

Yeah, this definitely had "well, back in my day..." old man rubbish. Only point I found myself agreeing with was the boss battle stuff - Demons' Souls definitely had some pretty unique battles in them. Especially in 4-3 when you get the Stormruler and decide to take out your frustration against all the Storm King and all its lackies for sniping you throughout the entire area. But enemies relying on holding the attack animation for a half second before going through was something I noticed a lot in Dark Souls 3 and wasn't that much of a fan.

Bloodborne reigns supreme, however. I don't care what anyone says. The pacing of its combat was pitch perfect.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I disagree with his assertion that the Souls games, even including Bloodborne, have average-at-best combat, but I do agree with his general opinion that Demon's Souls is better thanks to all that weird poo poo. World tendency was terribly designed but it's a cool idea and more novel than most of the mechanics in DS3, for example. He seems to attribute that to a "design by committee/the game got popular" sort of thing which I agree is dumb, but I do think FromSoft started to get a little too comfortable with the formula and not trying enough novel stuff.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
DS3 definitely feels the safest of the Souls games, seemingly out of a bad reaction fans had to the experimental stuff in DS2. Still a good game when compared to others, but a weak game compared to the other Souls titles.

Bloodborne still the best by virtue of them shaking up the Souls formula so vigorously. I don't get the bitterness Matthew seems to exhibit for it in that video, he seems really dismissive of the more aggressive playstyle and smaller, but more tightly designed weapon sets.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

There's some interesting stuff here like the perceived doom of Demon's Souls creating the freedom to make such a creative foundation for the series, but it just feels like he is doubling down on how great the old games were. If he didn't specifically say he wasn't going to bother watching HBomb's videos it would look like this was a response to those.

One thing that particularly got me was a part where he was talking about the arenas, like that's the only way to play PvP in the Souls games, or even like that's the most popular method of PvP. The only game where the arenas weren't released with DLC was Dark Souls 2, where it was behind a completely optional area, and people mostly seem to use regular invasions and neat things like the Moundmakers, Chameleon, and Seed of the Tree of Giants plenty. Each game also has some neat gimmick covenants like the protector covenants in DS1 and 3 and the Ratbros in DS2.

Also lol at his controversial Bloodborne take being "man Micolash, the most well done concept boss in the series, sure is loving great!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think I'm on such a different wavelength than a lot of Souls fans because I think DS3 is the best game in the series by a wide margin.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bloodborne gets a 0/10 for not having unique backstab and parry animations for each weapon. Please prove me wrong, I want to grind someone down with the Logarius Wheel and pretend I'm Ivy Valentine with the Sword Cane.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 23, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

There's some interesting stuff here like the perceived doom of Demon's Souls creating the freedom to make such a creative foundation for the series, but it just feels like he is doubling down on how great the old games were. If he didn't specifically say he wasn't going to bother watching HBomb's videos it would look like this was a response to those.

One thing that particularly got me was a part where he was talking about the arenas, like that's the only way to play PvP in the Souls games, or even like that's the most popular method of PvP. The only game where the arenas weren't released with DLC was Dark Souls 2, where it was behind a completely optional area, and people mostly seem to use regular invasions and neat things like the Moundmakers, Chameleon, and Seed of the Tree of Giants plenty. Each game also has some neat gimmick covenants like the protector covenants in DS1 and 3 and the Ratbros in DS2.

Also lol at his controversial Bloodborne take being "man Micolash, the most well done concept boss in the series, sure is loving great!"

C'mon, you're calling Micolash a good concept boss when Sister Friede exists?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, you're calling Micolash a good concept boss when Sister Friede exists?

Sister Friede is a pretty standard "a really good character" boss, just with 3 stages that has an interesting middle. It's also kinda messed up by being 3 separate health bars, which you have to go through every time you do the fight, making it a bit of a slog.

I'm not too keen on Friede but I was also massively underleveled when I did the DLC because I really wanted her scythe for my playthrough.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I don't see other souls games with awesome hats, or transforming saw-spears and whip-canes. Bloodborne wins automatically.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WampaLord posted:

Here's my hot take, the Souls series is only impressive because most people play games on Normal difficulty, which is baby-easy for 99% of games, so then they're blown away with how "hard" something like Dark Souls is.

I think Souls is great because the combat has a lot of depth, the level design is fantastic, the games have a powerful atmosphere, and the game is challenging in a way that respects the player's intelligence and doesn't go overboard into being unfair (most of the time)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

WampaLord posted:

Dark Souls isn't as hard as people make it out to be. I didn't really care about Dark Souls back when it was relatively new (I remember Yahtzee doing a review on either it or Demon Souls, but at the time, I thought it was some minor release, and I remember some of the furor over DS2 at launch), but I steered clear of it when I heard that it supposed to be super-hard.

I ended buying DS1 on Steam a year or so back, and played it for a bit before losing interest. I reinstalled it again because I had been thinking about buying a PS4 and getting Nioh (which despite having ignored it for a while, I still really like and I think does some things way better than Dark Souls), because I wanted to see if I'd be any good at the Souls-style games. I ended up finishing the game, which is something I wouldn't have dreamed of a few years ago. At the same time, I look at the game and go, "Wow, they were right when they said this game isn't that hard." The game is certainly more challenging and not as forgiving compared to, I dunno, Legend of Zelda or something in that general vein, but the way people make it out, it sounds like something on the level of Ghosts 'n Goblins or IWBTG.

Here's a hot take: It seems like there's very few critics who acknowledge or praise some of more unique or well-executed aspects of Dark Souls (or at least DS1)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

DS3 definitely feels the safest of the Souls games, seemingly out of a bad reaction fans had to the experimental stuff in DS2. Still a good game when compared to others, but a weak game compared to the other Souls titles.

Bloodborne still the best by virtue of them shaking up the Souls formula so vigorously. I don't get the bitterness Matthew seems to exhibit for it in that video, he seems really dismissive of the more aggressive playstyle and smaller, but more tightly designed weapon sets.

Matthew has really weird and specific priorities when it comes to games and honestly isn't that great of a critic.

There are some cool things that the series has kinda lost over time, namely being able to level up at bonfires and the interconnectivity of the world design, but Matthew has a religious devotion to things being done the way they were done in Demons Souls. He laser-focuses on "immersion" to a bizarre degree. And a lot of his comparisons between games don't hold up because there are actually plenty of examples of what he's talking about, good and bad, across the whole series and he's just ignoring the ones that don't fit his point.

And for fucks sake 5 games into the series and he still doesn't understand how to use the camera without locking on

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 23, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Allison just put up a ton of Batwatching if you're up for that. I have to take them slowly or I get overwhelmed by the unexpected madness crammed into the show's mundane format.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I know you meant Baywatching but I would totally be down for a watch-through of the 60's Batman show. Is that a thing? It would be really cool if that was a thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If only. It would make anyone's head explode. I am actually watching the 60s show and can only do two at a time for the same reason I take my time with Baywatching, only it's much, much crazier.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think those Baywatching episodes are old ones that she hadn't uploaded to YouTube yet.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think I'm on such a different wavelength than a lot of Souls fans because I think DS3 is the best game in the series by a wide margin.

It is. Takes all the best elements of the previous games and ditches everything that didn't work. So yeah it's the least experimental and the most friendly to new players, but it's also the best, most polished and complete game in the series.

Hopefully they keep their word and make it the last game in the series, because I don't really see a Dark Souls 4 working out that well. Like, where else do you go with the series? Do more games like Bloodborne, similar style of gameplay but a completely new setting and mechanics. It's a pity Nioh beat them to ninja-souls, but they can still do interesting things with the spinoffs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Takes all the best elements of the previous games and ditches everything that didn't work.

Power stance was much better than the lame weapon art thing though. Dual claws or bone fist+caestus or power stanced greatswords was amazing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Power stance was much better than the lame weapon art thing though. Dual claws or bone fist+caestus or power stanced greatswords was amazing.

Weapon arts would have been better if they did interesting things with it but like 90% of them are really boring and barely worth using.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Andrast posted:

Weapon arts would have been better if they did interesting things with it but like 90% of them are really boring and barely worth using.

That was mostly my problem yeah, most of them were "Stance" where you'd get the same sword uppercut kind of move or whatever that they mostly had or it was just a buff.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

his point about the pvp idiots who only care about numbers and "fair fights" is absolutely spot on.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

I would have even been okay with the loss of powerstancing if there were more dual-weapons available. There aren't very many and almost all of them are in the DLCs or latter half of the game.

I'm actually currently playing co-op through DaS2 with a friend who's new to the series and while there's a lot about that game I didn't miss (starting with only 1 estus chug is agony, and gently caress soul memory), being able to swing two swords right out of tutorial just felt great.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dongicus posted:

his point about the pvp idiots who only care about numbers and "fair fights" is absolutely spot on.

In a game where you're not punished for immediately striking a person mid pose, mid buff and doesn't make you autolose for drinking an estus flask mid battle, trying to institute some form of "e-honor" seems utterly ridiculous. If they want fair they should go play a fighting game or ask FromSoft to include a pvp Arena mode.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 23, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Annointed posted:

In a game where you're not punished for immediately striking a person mid pose, mid buff and doesn't make you autolose for drinking an estus flask mid battle trying to institute some form of "e-honor" seems utterly ridiculous. If they want fair they should go play a fighting game. If they want fair they should go play a fighting game or ask FromSoft to include a pvp Arena mode.

Unfortunately since Dark souls 2 you can roll out of emotes so you can't go and backstab people who bow to you anymore.

All three souls games also do have an arena.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Andrast posted:

Unfortunately since Dark souls 2 you can roll out of emotes so you can't go and backstab people who bow to you anymore.

EDIT nvm i dum

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 23, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Annointed posted:

ask FromSoft to include a pvp Arena mode.

They've had this since 2 1's DLC.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

One of the Dans released a new video on Overwatch's First Person Animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xeTMCPG2gg

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_nHpNcokwU

Wrestling with Wregret looks at the gigantic waste of time and space known as the Diva Search. The 2004 Tough Enough was worse if only because it was somehow even more boring than the Diva Search.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Annointed posted:

One of the Dans released a new video on Overwatch's First Person Animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xeTMCPG2gg

Thanks for this, it was super interesting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Doomslayer is one of the best video game protagonists ever and you pretty much only ever see him as a silent pair of hands and feet.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Noclip documentary on the death and rebirth of FFXIV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Augus posted:

The Doomslayer is one of the best video game protagonists ever and you pretty much only ever see him as a silent pair of hands and feet.

Doomslayer has mastered the art of showing contempt purely through body language.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Andrast posted:

All three souls games also do have an arena.

E: I did not know that there were actual areas that enforce game rules like estus limits. I never bothered to do that stuff in the arenas. Let chaos reign :unsmigghh:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Walking Simulators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1MsnaTw1bU

• Locked thread