Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

serious gaylord posted:

If I wanted to start playing Skylines with the aim of being a super detail nutcase like all the youtubers, is there a list of 'must have' mods?

Probably you'll want the auto-bulldoze mod that gets rid of abandoned and ruined buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

dogstile posted:

I want to do that but have it extend underground. I'm wondering how feasible it'd be.

It works pretty well, make it like a layer cake with on ramps. Tunnel is for bypass northbound, surface for local, flyover for bypass southbound. Another flyover if you need to separate local north and south bound.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

serious gaylord posted:

If I wanted to start playing Skylines with the aim of being a super detail nutcase like all the youtubers, is there a list of 'must have' mods?

There's quite a few but start with BloodyPenguin's stuff on the Steam Workshop. Note that SOME of that stuff is outdated (like the Metro Overhaul Mod) and won't work with the Mass Transit DLC (maybe not even with the latest patch, not sure if it's the DLC specifically that breaks it) but for the most part it all still works and there's tons of good stuff in there for detail work - things like Prop Anarchy.

Boformer also has some great stuff, like the Network Skins mod (change the trees/lights/whatever on the roads). Take a look through their stuff as well. I have a small road with trees on it near my beach, and it has some nice palm trees instead of the default oak ones.

You'll need Precision Engineering and MoveIt.

Not sure what the latest and best traffic/roads mod is but if you want extra roads you'll need one of those - I use Network Extensions 2.

e: DLC/patch just happened so just make sure to check the comments before trying stuff to make sure it isn't broken or anything.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 22, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thanks for that!

DLC wise which are the ones most worth having? I've seen some of them don't really add much so I'd rather avoid spending money on them unless they're really worth it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks for that!

DLC wise which are the ones most worth having? I've seen some of them don't really add much so I'd rather avoid spending money on them unless they're really worth it.

Snowfall is mostly a gimmick, but it's interesting for a couple of cities and if you like trams it's worth it.

After Dark alone is kind of useless, but it's nice when paired with the Rush Hour mod. If you're into bikes and taxis then it's probably up your alley regardless.

Mass Transit is good and adds a lot of neat stuff.

Natural Disasters is probably pretty ignorable. Most of the disasters will permanently destroy and deform the terrain in your city, but all of the disasters themselves are well done. Maybe some day someone will make a scenario like From Dust and it'd be neat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks for that!

-The Night life one adds bike lanes, it's the only useful actual city-building thing it adds, the rest is pure fluff, some ugly hotels and tourist shops. If you're wanting a city with bikes, get it, otherwise avoid.
-The Snowfall one was hilarious, people kept asking for weather/seasons and CO in their classic pattern interpreted this request in the worst way possible. Instead of having dynamic seasons they made special maps that are permanently winter, it's all winter and snowy all the time. They added snow plow trucks and steam based heating, the former is just yet another service vehicle you need crawling around your city, the later is just more pipe-laying busywork. What snowfall did add of worth was TRAMS, if you want trams, get snowfall.
-Disasters added absolutely nothing related to city building, so unless you want disaster you can totally avoid it.
-The latest DLC added a bunch of oddly balanced new transit types, blimps, ferries, cable cars, and the monorail. The blimps are silly, the ferries look terrible with 5 story drops from the dock to the boat, the monorails aren't as good as the MOM mod, and the cable cars are ok. Once again, unless a specific item in that list jumps out at you, easy to avoid and mods add way more for transit anyways.

For me bikes and trams were must-have, I bought the latest DLC but have yet to use a single one of the new transit options :(

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Trams are the best, I loved the game from the start but the lack of trams was really obnoxious to me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't forget that monorails are apparently so loud they make people living nearby sick and die if you ever try and use them near residential areas. While I can definitely relate to noise being awful I'm not sure living in a flat on the far side of a building on the far side of a block across the road from a monorail station would be loud enough to make me fall down dead.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats kind of annoying that they seperated trams and bikes. I might wait till its in the summer sale and just grab it all at once then.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Poil posted:

Don't forget that monorails are apparently so loud they make people living nearby sick and die if you ever try and use them near residential areas. While I can definitely relate to noise being awful I'm not sure living in a flat on the far side of a building on the far side of a block across the road from a monorail station would be loud enough to make me fall down dead.

I can see certain kinds of sound pollution being nasty in the long term. Long ago I was at a graduation party for an old friend. His family lived some 10 minutes away from Bromma Flygplats (airport), and I remember some planes still got so close during approach that his father had to pause his speech several times. I myself lives only a further 10 minutes away from them, and while I often hear the planes, they're never close to being disruptive.

But monorails being superloud sounds a bit wacky to me. Haven't used them in game tbh because lol.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Poil posted:

That combined with people being a-ok tucked right up against industrial tracks was a headscratcher. Industrial trains have ruined some really nice waterfront neighborhoods in my city, my brother gets woken up every single night from shunting.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I made a map

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=952708008

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

-Disasters added absolutely nothing related to city building, so unless you want disaster you can totally avoid it.

For me bikes and trams were must-have, I bought the latest DLC but have yet to use a single one of the new transit options :(

The Disasters DLC also adds emergency services helicopters which are actually really well implemented and are basically the trams of the DLC.

serious gaylord posted:

Thats kind of annoying that they seperated trams and bikes. I might wait till its in the summer sale and just grab it all at once then.

It is in the summer sale.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

turn off the TV posted:

The Disasters DLC also adds emergency services helicopters which are actually really well implemented and are basically the trams of the DLC.

It is in the summer sale.

ON MY WAY.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it difficult to disable disasters if you buy that dlc? I wouldn't put it past Colossal Odiots to make it a mandatory annoyance.

BigglesSWE posted:

I can see certain kinds of sound pollution being nasty in the long term. Long ago I was at a graduation party for an old friend. His family lived some 10 minutes away from Bromma Flygplats (airport), and I remember some planes still got so close during approach that his father had to pause his speech several times. I myself lives only a further 10 minutes away from them, and while I often hear the planes, they're never close to being disruptive.

But monorails being superloud sounds a bit wacky to me. Haven't used them in game tbh because lol.
Yikes, that sounds unpleasant. I live 30-40 minutes from an airport and when the wind makes the planes go overhead it can get pretty loud.

You can use monorails just fine around industrial areas and the commercial specialty districts since people in hotels apparently don't mind noise at all, no matter how loud. :downs:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got a mod that just turns off all noise pollution. I like the idea of noise and air quality and such being factors but co didn't implement them well at all.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The steam store keeps crashing for me so I'll guess i'll get it over the weekend.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

Is it difficult to disable disasters if you buy that dlc? I wouldn't put it past Colossal Odiots to make it a mandatory annoyance.

No you can turn them off, and change which disasters show up in the theme editor. I usually do thunderstorms and forest fires.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

You can disable disasters, but dunno if you can in-game or if you have to do it from the main menu.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

No you can turn them off, and change which disasters show up in the theme editor. I usually do thunderstorms and forest fires.
Cool, thanks. :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

benzine posted:

Not skyline but got the "build a city itch", and decided to start a new SC4 region.

Growth

Bonus shots:

Oh hey I saw your posts of this on reddit the other day, it's a Good Region and :hf: to SC4 bro!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I got a mod that just turns off all noise pollution. I like the idea of noise and air quality and such being factors but co didn't implement them well at all.

link please?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My approach to noise pollution was to have industrial traffic relegated to labyrinthine and multi-levelled underground tunnels not unlike the building in Westworld and to have necessary pollution buildings on special "garbage islands" because why not.

Other than a minor negative effect on happiness of residences, is noise pollution a big deal?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

jokes posted:

Other than a minor negative effect on happiness of residences, is noise pollution a big deal?

They will literally die next to monorail stations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kilonum posted:

link please?

I can't find it on google, so it's once again one of those mods that doesn't name itself something intuitive. I'll report when I get home. It's a great little mod, lets you turn a whole bunch of things on/off.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I downloaded a quieter version of all the monorail stations from the Workshop, just in case anyone was wondering if that exists.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I just disable noise pollution entirely because it is completely unrealistic and is there for arbitrary challenge in a game where there is very little challenge. There are countless people that live within feet of elevated train lines in NYC and they don't just drop dead or live in terrible health. And it's been that way for the better part of a century. And that is to say nothing of residential neighborhoods that popped up around industrialized buildings that are loud. People also live across the street from Yankee Stadium, a street that has an elevated train line and station.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah. Moderately reduced property values or slight unhappiness would be realistic. Literally dropping dead because you're across the street from a subway station is retarded.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Noise pollution is really meant to abstract away many 'badness' factors into a single value, but lumping health hazards and irritant hazards together leads to issues like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I live in non-Japan Asia, if noise pollution were such a deadly issue all these countries would be empty.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I live in NYC and living near a below-ground subway station is very desirable. I used to have one like 100 feet from my building's front door and never heard it - noise pollution from underground trains is simply a non-issue. The above ground ones are louder but as has been noted, plenty of people live literally a few feet from elevated tracks or stations and it's totally fine.

Being next to a train (not subway) track would suck but in the game those produce little if any noise. :downs: The game has it completely backwards.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Baronjutter posted:

I can't find it on google, so it's once again one of those mods that doesn't name itself something intuitive. I'll report when I get home. It's a great little mod, lets you turn a whole bunch of things on/off.

Just reminding you that we are waiting for that mod... Deathwave because of monorail is bullshit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I live literally next to an airport (I can look out of my window and see the runway) and only hear the planes if I have my windows open. Even then i've lived near planes all my life and don't even notice anymore. My family would be talking to eachother and people who have come round have said "sorry I didn't hear that, plane" and we'd be like "what plane".

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ToastyPotato posted:

I just disable noise pollution entirely because it is completely unrealistic and is there for arbitrary challenge in a game where there is very little challenge. There are countless people that live within feet of elevated train lines in NYC and they don't just drop dead or live in terrible health. And it's been that way for the better part of a century. And that is to say nothing of residential neighborhoods that popped up around industrialized buildings that are loud. People also live across the street from Yankee Stadium, a street that has an elevated train line and station.

Yeah I think I'm going to just do this because the more I think about it the more it annoys me that I have to put my stadium so far away from everything else and then figure out how to fill all that green space.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

dogstile posted:

I live literally next to an airport (I can look out of my window and see the runway) and only hear the planes if I have my windows open. Even then i've lived near planes all my life and don't even notice anymore. My family would be talking to eachother and people who have come round have said "sorry I didn't hear that, plane" and we'd be like "what plane".

I live next to a rail yard and a helipad and sleep through it all. I am far from dead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The really bad thing is empty dump trucks going over potholed roads. Those things are like mega-drums.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I think I found the mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=769744928

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

COMRADES posted:

Yeah I think I'm going to just do this because the more I think about it the more it annoys me that I have to put my stadium so far away from everything else and then figure out how to fill all that green space.

To be fair this is among the most realistic instances of noise pollution in the game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I wish that someone would make a mod that just causes people to randomly get sick. And a mod to lengthen prison sentences so that there would ever be a reason to build a prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Livin next to a stadium or even small baseball field or anywhere they hold events can be hell. There's one blocks away from me and it can get loud enough to be annoying. Living next to a subway station though? lol. Monorails are quiet too. Buses are way louder than both.