Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jetbikes are a fast attack now in the index. Luckily the Out rider Detachment lets you do an all jetbikes army!

Swooping Hawks here I come! :coolspot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

Not yet. Was just going to bscribe for the build until the real codex came out. Worked fine for Tau. Just the eldar that are not matching up to webstore vs bscribe.

Yeah you are going to be pretty blind without the codex...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's $25 clams. That's freakin amazingly cheap compared the old style of cash grab.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

TKIY posted:

Yeah you are going to be pretty blind without the codex...

Welp most of my question was in regards to the actual kit on the webstore. I did not make that clear. It looks to me like they are the same? Talking Guardians vs Black Guardians.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well one is painted black and has certain rules and the others just have different rules.

Painting them black is optional.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Black Guardians are back to not having their own rules. They're just normal Guardians with their armor painted black again.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The only troop options for Eldar are Guardians (Storm or Defender), Rangers or Dire Avengers.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Guardians are way too common in Eldar armies. If they had to mobilize the craftworld militia, things done got bad.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Sykic posted:

I think I'm finally back into the painting groove.

It's unbelievably liberating to just paint whatever model I want, whatever loadout I want, instead of what I need for my lists, I should have done this years ago instead of looking at kits and thinking "well, it looks awesome but it's dogshit on the table, no sale."

This is loving boss

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kilazar posted:

So windriders are not troops? Cause he would love an all jetbike army. Was hoping bscribe got it wrong

What is the difference between Guardians and Black Guardians? Bscribe does not have either of those. It has guardian defenders, and storm guardians

Windriders have been troop since 3rd edition. Then GW made them godlike in 7th and couldn't undo that mistake and so instead crowded an already crowded FA slot.

Black Guardians were a 4th edition Ulthwe Strike Force unit which had a stat bonus. Then the Guardians got a universal stat bump in 6th. Not sure why GW lists them now, but they're essentially the Storm Guardian conversion box.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

General Olloth posted:

The psyker spam has been destroying my necrons. I have no idea what to do about it, playing against death guard and he has a bunch of characters I can't target just unloading and deleting units every turn. I can't kill the stuff in front of them off enough with the disgustingly resilient.

At some point players are going to figure out how to put the most mortal wounds on the table and you're not going to want to play those people at all. Hopefully GW is really the new GW and doesn't put out tons of formations or new models Etc that just destroy with mortal wounds

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Sykic posted:

Nothing quite like painting in a room as hot as a sauna, desk fan ineffectually blasting warm air towards you, as you race against time to finish what you're doing before the paint dries on the brush. Screw you, weather, I'm finishing this dreadnought :mad:

I've got several pots of old (former paint range) washes that haven't taken the last 2 years particularly well, to the point where they've completely split apart and formed a layer of sediment with the consistency of jelly. No amount of shaking and stirring is mixing it back together again, just producing a milky shade of whatever colour it's supposed to be. Are they hosed or can I still save these?

I had this problem with some old paints, too. I got a straw and started poking holes in it until they began mixing together again.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Have a game planned for tonight:

My list: 904 points
Librarian Dreadnought (Storm Bolter)
Death Company Dreadnought (Furioso Fists w/Melta Gun and Storm Bolter)
2x Furioso Dreadnought (Furioso Fists w/Melta Gun and Storm Bolter)
Regular Dreadnought (Assault Cannon and DCCW w/Storm Bolter)

VS.
Tau list: 909 points
9x Crisis suits
2x Marker Drones

My friend and I wanted to try a game with our favorite units from our favorite armies! I'll post some pictures/details later. I'm expecting a lot of kiting and frustration, but if I can get into melee, my Dreads should be able to rip them to shreds with their big meaty claws.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Guardians are way too common in Eldar armies. If they had to mobilize the craftworld militia, things done got bad.

There's a new god of death in town, buddy. Getting a bunch of untrained militia killed is actually a good thing for the Eldar's future.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pendent posted:

There's a new god of death in town, buddy. Getting a bunch of untrained militia killed is actually a good thing for the Eldar's future.

They might not be totally untrained. Sometimes you just gotta make that career change from Dark Reaper to pastry chef to keep from being locked into an eternity of death dealing.

Eldar :swoon:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A decent Vice article about 8th: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/warhammer-40000-is-a-triumphant-expression-of-the-new-games-workshop

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

muggins posted:

At some point players are going to figure out how to put the most mortal wounds on the table and you're not going to want to play those people at all. Hopefully GW is really the new GW and doesn't put out tons of formations or new models Etc that just destroy with mortal wounds

Yeah I mean my reaction was to just bring c'tans for mortal wounds back so... It's not looking good for the meta. We'll see I guess.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

chutche2 posted:

Good news, the web army list builder now has imperial guard.

Do you have a link to this please? I like your idea of the Pl Comd close combat team, and in fact the rules generally make it easier for IG to do a bit of close combat with upgraded Sgts and officers. Really considering doing some of the rough-riders-on-fantasy dark elf-cold-ones that other people have done before.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Boon posted:

Windriders have been troop since 3rd edition. Then GW made them godlike in 7th and couldn't undo that mistake and so instead crowded an already crowded FA slot.

Black Guardians were a 4th edition Ulthwe Strike Force unit which had a stat bonus. Then the Guardians got a universal stat bump in 6th. Not sure why GW lists them now, but they're essentially the Storm Guardian conversion box.

Thanks, probably going to just get him a bunch of windriders and fill out an outrider.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Solid article. Honestly it still feels like 40K to me, just a faster, more modern, far more brutal 40K. And that's a good thing.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
UK Goons! Goonpocalypse V thread is up. September 2nd. I haven't booked tables yet but will be straight on it as soon as possible. For numbers could everyone who is interested check in on the thread so I can sort numbers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824610

I have got a new job so my time for nerdstuff is going to drop in the next couple of months so don't worry I will still be terrible at the new edition.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Boon posted:

Black Guardians got new rules in whichever Gathering Storm book had Ynneari stuff. I think there were identical to their non-Ulthwe counterparts other than an ability to enter the battle through deep strike? Or something?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Black Guardians got new rules in whichever Gathering Storm book had Ynneari stuff. I think there were identical to their non-Ulthwe counterparts other than an ability to enter the battle through deep strike? Or something?

They got Deep-Strike along as did the Black Windriders and had to be taken instead of their normal counterparts in an Ulthwe army, if you used their rules (no one did).

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Do you have a link to this please? I like your idea of the Pl Comd close combat team, and in fact the rules generally make it easier for IG to do a bit of close combat with upgraded Sgts and officers. Really considering doing some of the rough-riders-on-fantasy dark elf-cold-ones that other people have done before.

https://webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#!/rosterCreator

We should probably put this in the OP

then I can be smarmy and be all "read the OP"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

And they couldn't get Warlock leaders. And they couldn't be taken in normal lists, only in their special detachment, the Ynnari detachment, and a few formations.

e:f,b

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
This thing is well fun. I have been thinking a bit about the minimum detachment requirements for a 'Brigade'. It may be foolish to chase command point bonuses as I don't think they will really make up for sub par units or pointless choices. But it is an idea that seems to have occurred to a lot of imperial guard players. I can make a brigade for 859 points, using functional units which I'd take anyway.

Edit: I'm having a much harder time building any list I like for my elder, who are sort of corsair themed and are exclusively fast type units. Does anyone care to comment on this list? My main concern is it's completely tiny model count.

Outrider Detachment

Autarch Skyrunner (1) - 130pts
1 Autarch Skyrunner: Laser lance,Fusion gun,Shuriken pistol,Mandiblasters,Twin shuriken catapult

Shining Spears (9) - 387pts
1 Shining Spear Exarch: Laser lance,Twin shuriken catapult
8 Shining Spear: Laser lance,Twin shuriken catapult

Vyper Squadron (2) - 176pts
2 Vyper: 2 Shuriken cannons

Windriders (5) - 160pts
5 Windrider: Shuriken cannon

Outrider Detachment

Farseer Skyrunner (1) - 171pts
1 Farseer Skyrunner: Witchblade,Shuriken pistol,Twin shuriken catapult

Windriders (5) - 150pts
5 Windrider: Twin shuriken catapult

Windriders (5) - 150pts
5 Windrider: Twin shuriken catapult

Vyper Squadron (2) - 176pts
2 Vyper: 2 Shuriken cannons

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 22, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
God the changes to Stealthsuits made them so good it's not even funny. Between them, Shadowsun and Ghostkeels, a all/majority Stealth T'au army might be a very viable thing to run.

Struggling to decide on what Support Systems are worth taking at the moment. Target Locks and Multitrackers seem like the no-brainers thanks to removing the hit penalties on weapons/rerolling 1's, thus softening the dependence on Markerlights, but Advanced Targeters are hilarious for melting down Marines and Counterfire seems more important now T'au can't just JSJ away from the danger zone. It's got me pondering for certain.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Genghis Cohen posted:

This thing is well fun. I have been thinking a bit about the minimum detachment requirements for a 'Brigade'. It may be foolish to chase command point bonuses as I don't think they will really make up for sub par units or pointless choices. But it is an idea that seems to have occurred to a lot of imperial guard players. I can make a brigade for 859 points, using functional units which I'd take anyway.

You can shave points off by using heavy bolter tarantulas btw. They come in at 27 points per FA slot.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

chutche2 posted:

You can shave points off by using heavy bolter tarantulas btw. They come in at 27 points per FA slot.

That is a good idea, but I would have to convert some models, i have the sentinels already, I like them as an idea, and the scout move can essentially project a screen to prevent any deep strike moves in front of my army on turn 1.

I have 3 conversions I made from sydonian dragoons as well. Sort of scout machines. They're slightly more expensive than sentinels and I'm not sure they're tactically sound (I built 2 as snipers and 1 with a lance) but they'd enable me to field 2 brigades in 2000 pts.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I'm taking a look at company veterans and thinking I'll use them instead of sternguard. I've got a lot of veterans with combi weapons, but sternguard lose their special ammo if they use those now. Company veterans are the same base 16 points as sternguard and vanguard.

So instead, I can run 5-man combi squads of company veterans that can also make Look Out Sir rolls for nearby characters. Put 5 of them and a captain in a razorback and they should do well for themselves, though it'd be 155 points for 5 of them with combi plasmas which is a lot. Or 4 of them, a captain, and an apothecary.

And I'm thinking that if I just want vanilla sternguard without any upgrades, I'd be better off buying intercessors.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 22, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

So I'm taking a look at company veterans and thinking I'll use them instead of sternguard. I've got a lot of veterans with combi weapons, but sternguard lose their special ammo if they use those now. Company veterans are the same base 16 points as sternguard and vanguard.

So instead, I can run 5-man combi squads of company veterans that can also make Look Out Sir rolls for nearby characters. Put 5 of them and a captain in a razorback and they should do well for themselves, though it'd be 155 points for 5 of them with combi plasmas which is a lot. Or 4 of them, a captain, and an apothecary.

And I'm thinking that if I just want vanilla sternguard without any upgrades, I'd be better off buying intercessors.

Correct- it makes literally no sense to run plain Sternguard instead of Intercessors.

The Blood Angels subforum on B&C have been talking up Verans with jump packs a lot which I guess you don't get. Even without that mobility they seem pretty decent. Jump packs, Plasma guns and Storm Shields probably make them a bit better than decent though.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Pendent posted:

Correct- it makes literally no sense to run plain Sternguard instead of Intercessors.

Except that special-issue bolters are better than bolt rifles. And they can ride in transports. And they can take more than 5 models (and combat squad). And they have better leadership. And the sergeant can take upgrades. This is ignoring all the weapon options they have, since you specified "plain".

I think Company Veterans vs Sternguard are a lot closer now, but there are a lot of legit reasons to take Sternguard over Inercessors.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Are there any special rules for deathguard armies in the 8E box set that go beyond the chaos index (which as far as I can tell is only that plague marines count as troops)?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have the FW Xenos book. Just unlocked.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

Please share some Tyranid goodness!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Except that special-issue bolters are better than bolt rifles. And they can ride in transports. And they can take more than 5 models (and combat squad). And they have better leadership. And the sergeant can take upgrades. This is ignoring all the weapon options they have, since you specified "plain".

I think Company Veterans vs Sternguard are a lot closer now, but there are a lot of legit reasons to take Sternguard over Inercessors.

Better leadership is meaningless for 5-man squads

Combat squadding isn't really an advantage when you could just bring 2 squads of intercessors

The rifles are 1 AP better but I don't think that makes up for having half the wounds, they don't have staying power. And biglys are getting their own transports.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Soulfucker posted:

Please share some Tyranid goodness!

Seconding this. Dying to see what my overpriced shelf ornaments can do now

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

xtothez posted:

Seconding this. Dying to see what my overpriced shelf ornaments can do now

Yeah my friend really wants to know about the heirophant

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

TKIY posted:

Could I please ask the rules for corsairs (infantry and bikes), nightwing interceptors, and whether there are any rules for eldar corsair army lists? Thanks very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
There were some leaked stats going around for the Repulsor a while ago and it looked pretty solid to me and we all know they're coming very soon. Bigmarines will have transports before we know it and they'll be at least as good as what Sternguard can take.

While it is true that the Intercessors lose out on weapon upgrades, special weapons can bloat the cost of a Sternguard squad very quickly for a unit who already has issues with staying power. If choose to focus on the special weapons a five man squad of Sternguard with combi-plasma runs 155 points, a mere 35 points less than a squad of Hellblasters who have better guns and double the wounds. Intercessors also have the benefit of taking a troop slot making it much easier to fit them in a list that provides a reasonable number of command points.

I hate to say it but I just don't see a role for Sternguard that biglies won't be able to fill more effectively once they get their own transports. Maybe bigmarines won't get drop pods and Sternguard will get to keep their niche of suicide deepstrikers.