Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Mattis is competent compared to the rest of these assholes, but if he were anywhere near the kind of man that everyone seems to wish that he was he'd have quit this circus months ago.

He's the only reason the military has had a functioning leader. They've essentially been acting under him completely independent of Trump because Trump doesn't have the wherewithal to function as a commander in chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Would that panel be tasked with the conception of solutions of sorts?

We're...we're not doing that joke. We're doing a different joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_panel

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Looks like Rand Paul has three other senators in his pocket, threatening no vote on the bill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BigDave posted:

Looks like Rand Paul has three other senators in his pocket, threatening no vote on the bill.

It's probably all posturing. I have no doubts that these all turn into yes at vote time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's probably all posturing. I have no doubts that these all turn into yes at vote time.

And if they don't they will just keep the vote open until they do.

Which they have literally done before.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Couldn't the Dems just amend this thing to death?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

tastefully arranged labia posted:

We're...we're not doing that joke. We're doing a different joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_panel

Oh, I know, but Euthanasia was kinda an integral part of the Holocaust

Speaking of the Holocaust, you'll never guess who's joining the "gassed a lot of people to death with hydrogen cyanide"-club.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/877632095740284930

:stare:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bengy81 posted:

Couldn't the Dems just amend this thing to death?

Amendments still need a majority vote and there's s limited number they'll vote on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
After the refusals to confirm or deny that there were "tapes" of Comey and Trump talking, president suddenly denying that he made any tapes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yo dog we put cyanide in yo flaming tower so you can choke to death on fumes while you choke to death on fumes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Look I know you can't breathe but you're on fire anyway maaaaaan.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

They built a residential rocket stove, and when it came to renovating it, someone was like "let's encase it in Zyklon B foam".

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's the only reason the military has had a functioning leader. They've essentially been acting under him completely independent of Trump because Trump doesn't have the wherewithal to function as a commander in chief.

Yeah, I'd rather have him there than in retirement. I guess he's like Haig was in the late Nixon administration.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Duzzy Funlop posted:

They built a residential rocket stove, and when it came to renovating it, someone was like "let's encase it in Zyklon B foam".

An ingenious way to get rid of the poors but not very re-usable.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's scary in its own way.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Looks like Trump kept his word about saying "lol" to civilian casualties:

https://twitter.com/airwars/status/877942609548857346

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Looks like Trump kept his word about saying "lol" to civilian casualties:

https://twitter.com/airwars/status/877942609548857346

It became necessary to destroy the town to save it

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wonder how the US would react if some foreign country/people killed a bunch of civilians on our land...

Hmm....

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

An ingenious way to get rid of the poors but not very re-usable.

So you'd say it has a certain... finality to it?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Remember how the Senate passed a bill for harsher sanctions against Russia?

[quote="
White House Tries to Get G.O.P. to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill"]
WASHINGTON — The White House is quietly lobbying House Republicans to weaken a bill overwhelmingly passed by the Senate last week that would slap tough new sanctions on Russia for its meddling in the 2016 election and allow Congress to block any future move by President Trump to lift any penalties against Moscow.

The effort is designed to head off an awkward and politically damaging veto fight between the Trump administration and the Republican-controlled Congress on Russia at a time when Mr. Trump is laboring under the shadow of multiple investigations about his campaign’s potential collusion with Moscow.

House Republicans, normally hawkish on Russia, face a choice between demonstrating a hard line against Moscow in the face of its misconduct and sparing their own president a potentially embarrassing confrontation.

[...]

Last week, Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson warned lawmakers during an unrelated hearing against imposing new sanctions at all, arguing that it would undermine the administration’s efforts to forge new diplomatic channels with Russia.
[/quote]

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I am wondering what the endgame even is with the healthcare bill. It doesn't make much sense to kill your own voters because then who's going to vote for you...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Woof Blitzer posted:

I am wondering what the endgame even is with the healthcare bill. It doesn't make much sense to kill your own voters because then who's going to vote for you...

they have no choice. their base wants this because its going to make life worse for others.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Woof Blitzer posted:

There is no endgame. The entire point of the bill is that they spent 7 years campaigning against the healthcare law, and they have to 'repeal and replace' it, even if the replacement is objectively worse.

They've been playing political chicken for eight years and now it's too late to turn away.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

The same people that vote for them now: suburbanites with health care provided by their jobs

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, I know, but Euthanasia was kinda an integral part of the Holocaust

Speaking of the Holocaust, you'll never guess who's joining the "gassed a lot of people to death with hydrogen cyanide"-club.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/877632095740284930

:stare:

This is a thing with any house fire actually

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

This is a thing with any house fire actually

High rises are supposed to be built to higher standards than detached homes for this reason.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We don't have a monopoly on destroying things to save them, looks like:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-mosul-idUSKBN19D18O

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Avik/status/877939688904028162

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Would kill more Americans than the authorizations for military force in Afghanistan and Iraq combined, so it's a true statement.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Woof Blitzer posted:

Healthcare cuts is just a convenient means to allowing them to permanently cut taxes on the super rich and corporations. Healthcare and the military are basically the only things left in the federal budget, so health care for the poor has got to go. They push the date out for most of the pain from the health care bill but they'll cut taxes now (apparently retroactively, and the debt will grow even more until those cuts come in to place). If Democrats do take back the government in some manner, they are stuck with a very large deficit, and a very large bleeding wound in health care, and thus will take the brunt of the public pain for once again having to sort the mess out. And that's assuming the economy actually continues on the path Republicans dynamically scored the bill with, which is basically no chance in hell of actually happening. Then they'll bitch about why things aren't improving and why things are expensive.

This is basically a replay of the bullshit with Medicare Part D (and the Medicare Modernization Act itself), which is what caused presciption drugs/etc to skyrocket in prices as they forbid drug reimportation, combined with the Bush tax cuts, although in that case old people got drug coverage (but the rest of us had to pay in taxes and pay more for drugs for ourselves). Then with the economy in the dump, Democrats had to deal with really lovely choices, which couldn't do what was needed to to get past the 60 vote threshold in the Senate because of Joe loving Lieberman.

The thing is, they are pushing and at some point the pendulum is going to go back the other way, but way more hard than they expect. The left (especially us younger folks) are getting radicalized and aren't going to have any qualms about court packing or bipartisanship or anything, because there's no point.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
In a great example of stunning life choices, man sells Top Secret documents to Chinese Intelligence for $16,500, blatantly lies to the FBI and is now facing life in prison possibly even the death penalty

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/virginia-man-charged-giving-secret-documents-china-48216300

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Orlando Furioso posted:

In a great example of stunning life choices, man sells Top Secret documents to Chinese Intelligence for $16,500, blatantly lies to the FBI and is now facing life in prison possibly even the death penalty

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/virginia-man-charged-giving-secret-documents-china-48216300

I hope he they hang him

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Reverand maynard posted:

I hope he they hang him

quote:

But FBI agents searched the device and found other documents and messages that Mallory thought had been deleted, according to the affidavit. In one message, Mallory wrote to the suspected Chinese agent, "your object is to gain information, and my object is to be paid."

loooooooolllllll

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

FAUXTON posted:

loooooooolllllll

I have the feeling he's not gonna get out of this one.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mycrimes.txt

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FAUXTON posted:

loooooooolllllll

Should have taken a leaf out of Hillary's book imo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

Republican Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Mike Lee of Utah and Rand Paul of Kentucky released a joint statement saying they're not ready to vote for the health care bill.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
:downs: Hello foreign agent. I would like to exchange secret info for money. This is against the law so don't tell anyone. Here's a scan of my ID so you know what I look like. I know you guys hacked OPM so here's my social security number so you know I got that TS access. I'm a man who thinks carefully and only acts with premeditation so you can trust that I'm down to conduct these crimes for pay.

:downs: I wonder who these well dressed men in suits at my front door are. And I wonder why their car has government plates.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I somehow missed that OMP got hacked. That gives me a warm fuzzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

:downs: Hello foreign agent. I would like to exchange secret info for money. This is against the law so don't tell anyone. Here's a scan of my ID so you know what I look like. I know you guys hacked OPM so here's my social security number so you know I got that TS access. I'm a man who thinks carefully and only acts with premeditation so you can trust that I'm down to conduct these crimes for pay.

:downs: I wonder who these well dressed men in suits at my front door are. And I wonder why their car has government plates.

Even better he was caught by customs getting off a plane from China.

• Locked thread