Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B B
Dec 1, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who is this loser?

quote:

President, The Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity (@FREOPP). Editor, @ForbesOpinion. Author: Transcending Obamacare; How Medicaid Fails the Poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who is this loser?

What counts for a conservative health care wonk.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

boner confessor posted:

he got like fifty less votes despite a 100k drop in total votes cast. that is a big improvement

he underperformed a fictional person then

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It turns out that when people are about to lose their health coverage due to legislative malfeasance, they tend not to give a poo poo about Pelosi or endlessly relitigating special elections. Shocking, I know.

Literal, actual brokebrains are on Capitol Hill today getting arrested and beaten and pulled out of their wheelchairs

And the only thing people here can talk about is stupid infighting bullshit

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

WampaLord posted:

Amazing how absolutely determined the centrists are to learn nothing from that. Hell, in the other thread JC blatantly lied about what happened just so he wouldn't have to learn a lesson.

"but he they didn't win gotta focus on winning"

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Boon posted:

You could always, you know, focus on why Wisconsin never expanded Medicaid.

Isn't his name Scott Walker assisted in his role but an utterly inept state Democratic party?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who is this loser?

He's supposed to be the "thoughtful, responsible conservative health care expert." lol He also thinks that poor people do better if they have no health insurance than medicaid. He's scum.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So I am going to guess Kansas for the state which puts Medicaid eligibility at 0% of the Federal Poverty level. They seem to consistently make bad decisions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Most candidates underperform "generic party politician" in polls.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Literal, actual brokebrains are on Capitol Hill today getting arrested and beaten and pulled out of their wheelchairs

And the only thing people here can talk about is stupid infighting bullshit

People did talk about that.

Then we saw Dem leadership be all "tone it down" and that irritates people.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I don't think Ossof should have run on a platform of full communism now now but I think "oh god protect health care" and "take marginally better care of wage slaves" would have been uncontroversial, nominally left stances that might have given him some traction. Instead every ad was "we gotta cut spending, and hold Trump accountable." With "invest in renewable tech" as an afterthought.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cabbit posted:

I'm confused; democrats generally have a lovely turnout on elections that don't include a presidential ballot, don't they? Shouldn't the fact that the numbers stayed roughly consistent be seen as an improvement?

handels votes dropped by over 60k vs when price kept the seat during the presidential election

ossoff came within 100 votes of the same total from the presidential election

also something like 70% of the campaign funding came from small donations, many of which were out of state donors

all great signs but you just can't stop the leftist circular firing squad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

he got a huge amount of votes and he made a bunch of pig ignorant leftist purists madder than hell so mission accomplished imo

you have no better plan than slacktivist "they should do something different no matter how unrealistic it is" so pardon me for not taking your vacant whining too seriously

Look at this post. Boner confessor is so dedicated to the status quo he attacks the entire concept of trying something different.

Have fun losing elections forever. But you'll have made those leftists real mad.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he didn't actually underperform, unless you have some odd metric by which 48% is a lower number than 38%

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

People did talk about that.

Then we saw Dem leadership be all "tone it down" and that irritates people.

No, Dem leadership said members weren't going to stage their own sit-ins because they worried the media would cover the Democrats and not the bill. They didn't say anything like "tone it down" unless you're looking for an excuse for inaction.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

I don't think Ossof should have run on a platform of full communism now now but I think "oh god protect health care" and "take marginally better care of wage slaves" would have been uncontroversial, nominally left stances that might have given him some traction. Instead every ad was "we gotta cut spending, and hold Trump accountable." With "invest in renewable tech" as an afterthought.

it's almost like he was running in a super red district or something

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

boner confessor posted:

he didn't actually underperform, unless you have some odd metric by which 48% is a lower number than 38%

Raw vote totals, sorry should have been clear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boner confessor posted:

it's almost like he was running in a super red district or something
i dont think ads of a kid in a super expensive house in a nice suit tweeting were going to sway conservatives either

addendum to this post: bernie sucks and i have no interest in jacking off about how the dems need to enact full communism now. i am just saying that his ads and messaging sucked.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boner confessor posted:

he got a huge amount of votes and he made a bunch of pig ignorant leftist purists madder than hell so mission accomplished imo

you have no better plan than slacktivist "they should do something different no matter how unrealistic it is" so pardon me for not taking your vacant whining too seriously

That's a whole lot better than "they should keep doing the same thing even though it has repeatedly failed to the point where they suffered huge losses several elections in a row".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he got less votes than the previous democrat to run, who may be an entirely fictional person

But.. like, 24 less votes, out of ~125,000, while vote share went up from 38% to 48%. And again, hasn't the eternal problem been that democrats just don't turn out for non-presidental elections like the GOP does? Wouldn't democrats turning out in 2018 in numbers similar to 2016 be a considerable boon?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

If there's one thing americans hate, it's popular and catchy sloguns like "medicare for all".

We better stick with "affordable care act but with certain substantial improvements along vectors likely to decrease overall costs while maintaining a consistent standard of care"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

i dont think ads of a kid in a super expensive house in a nice suit tweeting were going to sway conservatives either

addendum to this post: bernie sucks and i have no interest in jacking off about how the dems need to enact full communism now. i am just saying that his ads and messaging sucked.

sure but that's a problem of execution where most of the whiners itt are moaning about content, which is an argument with no substance meant only as super repetitive masturbation about who can be angriest at the fact that fatcats exist

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Technically those were brokebodies

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cabbit posted:

Wouldn't democrats turning out in 2018 in numbers similar to 2016 be a considerable boon?

but he lost. he is a loser #sad #MAGA

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

Technically those were brokebodies

*Cerebral* palsy

So both

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

That's a whole lot better than "they should keep doing the same thing even though it has repeatedly failed to the point where they suffered huge losses several elections in a row".

*candidate narrowly defeated in closest election in recent memory* "ugh this isn't working, HUGE electoral losses!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

boner confessor posted:

*candidate narrowly defeated in closest election in recent memory* "ugh this isn't working, HUGE electoral losses!"

Yeah, There are huge electoral losses.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cabbit posted:

But.. like, 24 less votes, out of ~125,000, while vote share went up from 38% to 48%. And again, hasn't the eternal problem been that democrats just don't turn out for non-presidental elections like the GOP does? Wouldn't democrats turning out in 2018 in numbers similar to 2016 be a considerable boon?

his percentage only increased because GOP turnout cratered. ga-06 is probably not a winnable district until a way is found to double the amount of people willing to turn out and vote democrat in non-special elections

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

So who's paying the salary that keeps you from understanding this concept?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

his percentage only increased because GOP turnout cratered. ga-06 is probably not a winnable district until a way is found to double the amount of people willing to turn out and vote democrat in non-special elections

i mean also dem turnout increased but we need to ignore that part so we can feel pessimistic and mad about the future

WampaLord posted:

So who's paying the salary that keeps you from understanding this concept?

your father, who is my lover

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boner confessor posted:

sure but that's a problem of execution where most of the whiners itt are moaning about content, which is an argument with no substance meant only as super repetitive masturbation about who can be angriest at the fact that fatcats exist
i think there are also problems of content, or at least getting that content across to voters. democrats just blatantly don't have the sway over their base and especially undecideds that republicans do, for a variety of reasons. ossof made some gains but not as much as he was projected to, even in scenarios where handel won, and at the end of the day he still lost in a district that clearly wasn't an inevitable loss, considering that the election was still fairly close. i don't think discussing how similar races in 2018 could be turned into wins is a circular firing squad, especially when most of his 'gains' were really republican losses.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Did Stooksbury run the same kind of campaign as Ossoff?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

But democratic turnout didn't crater, which by all past indicators it should have. Does that not say anything positive to you?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

i think there are also problems of content, or at least getting that content across to voters. democrats just blatantly don't have the sway over their base and especially undecideds that republicans do, for a variety of reasons. ossof made some gains but not as much as he was projected to, even in scenarios where handel won, and at the end of the day he still lost in a district that clearly wasn't an inevitable loss, considering that the election was still fairly close. i don't think discussing how similar races in 2018 could be turned into wins is a circular firing squad.

sure, but hammering the "he's not leftist enough!" button over and over like a pigeon in a psychological study is not exactly what i would call discussion

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I am prepared to take over leadership of the Democratic party but by golly there's going to be some changes and I don't think all of you will approve of them.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/timkrepp/status/877999901384355840

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

sure, but hammering the "he's not leftist enough!" button over and over like a pigeon in a psychological study is not exactly what i would call discussion

Well, more centrist candidates losing seems like it's becoming the elephant in the room, so maybe we should start talking about it more.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cabbit posted:

But democratic turnout didn't crater, which by all past indicators it should have. Does that not say anything positive to you?

well the Georgia democrats have about a year to try again then

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Endorph posted:

i think there are also problems of content, or at least getting that content across to voters. democrats just blatantly don't have the sway over their base and especially undecideds that republicans do, for a variety of reasons. ossof made some gains but not as much as he was projected to, even in scenarios where handel won, and at the end of the day he still lost in a district that clearly wasn't an inevitable loss, considering that the election was still fairly close. i don't think discussing how similar races in 2018 could be turned into wins is a circular firing squad, especially when most of his 'gains' were really republican losses.

It's really very simply. Republicans fall in line. Democrats dont. This is because we have a monopoly on critical thinking skills. Unfortunately, it also means that we've convinced a whole wing of the party not to vote for 'wall street' candidates, conveniently forgetting that that's literally all candidates because it turns out wall street, whether they should be or not, actually is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mango sentinel posted:

i don't disagree but I imagine this also had a lot to do with research on voter motivation for the district.

going to go out on a limb and say that ga06 has a larger portion of people on employee healthcare than most of the country.

• Locked thread