Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Protip posted:

Spawns definitely confuse me. I recently started a new job on a college campus and enjoy taking walks during the day to get out of the office for a bit. There are multiple stops on campus and after this update we went from 3 gyms to 4. However there are 0 spawns when I walk around. Pokémon just don't seem to spawn anywhere on campus and even the "nearby" tracker never shows Pokémon at any of the stops on campus. I have no idea why this is. At least I can spin stops but it'd be nice to see some spawns as well.

I recall some campuses asking for no spawns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Nantic needs to do something about these spawns when there are no events, they're consistently absolute poo poo.

It sucks going from Cyndaquil/Growlithe/Houndour back to birds/rats/bugs, but having said that if the spawns were really good all the time we wouldn't get excited for events any more.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Protip posted:

Spawns definitely confuse me. I recently started a new job on a college campus and enjoy taking walks during the day to get out of the office for a bit. There are multiple stops on campus and after this update we went from 3 gyms to 4. However there are 0 spawns when I walk around. Pokémon just don't seem to spawn anywhere on campus and even the "nearby" tracker never shows Pokémon at any of the stops on campus. I have no idea why this is. At least I can spin stops but it'd be nice to see some spawns as well.

Some schools (usually elementary schools) are flagged as dead zones so strangers don't walk through playing pokemon. I think I remember some colleges being flagged similarly.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Julio Cruz posted:

It sucks going from Cyndaquil/Growlithe/Houndour back to birds/rats/bugs, but having said that if the spawns were really good all the time we wouldn't get excited for events any more.
There should be balance. In general, trash shouldn't be literally 95% of spawns. Events are nice to spread the wealth among varying biomes; also, every biome's commons shouldn't be the whole radar 24/7. Events make the status quo look not just "less good" but actively awful. If it wasn't for the gym changes I doubt I would have any desire to play until gen 3.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Gyms are online.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
There's no cash out shield on the store. No more free coins?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Woodchip posted:

There's no cash out shield on the store. No more free coins?

Same here. Maybe it's hidden somewhere?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I thought you now get coins when your pokemon comes home from the gym or was that speculation?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Ditch posted:

Something like being able to remove certain 'mons from appearing on your radar would be enormous and get people in urban areas to go out more/further. My sister works from home and will go days without seeing anything interesting (and her definition of 'interesting' isn't a very high bar to clear). So much trash.

Yeah exactly, especially because in a stop- dense area it seems that the radar is pretty arbitrary in what is actually out there vs what it will show you. I saw a Dragonite at a stop yesterday and as I moved towards it, it disappeared from my radar. Once I got to the stop it spawned (and ran away after one raspberry+ultra). I've seen that pattern happen before with other rare mons that just get drowned out in trash static. A radar filter would really improve walkabout gameplay dramatically. Don't show me another Natu ever again, Niantic.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

voodoorootbeer posted:

A radar filter would really improve walkabout gameplay dramatically. Don't show me another Natu ever again, Niantic.

Natu is one of the things that I'm actually trying to catch now, because I've got hardly any Psychic types and I bet my first raid will end up being a Machamp or a Primeape.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Steve Jorbs posted:

I thought you now get coins when your pokemon comes home from the gym or was that speculation?

No, this was confirmed as how it is now. You get coins when your mon is kicked out of the gym and you get stardust by feeding them berries in the gym.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Fish Of Doom posted:

No, this was confirmed as how it is now. You get coins when your mon is kicked out of the gym and you get stardust by feeding them berries in the gym.

Where's my coins then? lol

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Do u have to hold the gym for an hour or what?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

voodoorootbeer posted:

Yeah exactly, especially because in a stop- dense area it seems that the radar is pretty arbitrary in what is actually out there vs what it will show you. I saw a Dragonite at a stop yesterday and as I moved towards it, it disappeared from my radar. Once I got to the stop it spawned (and ran away after one raspberry+ultra). I've seen that pattern happen before with other rare mons that just get drowned out in trash static. A radar filter would really improve walkabout gameplay dramatically. Don't show me another Natu ever again, Niantic.

They should weight what shows up in the radar such that rare and/or evolved Pokemon have priority

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Just walked to a gym with a co-worker. We took down a 2900 Dragonite and I put in a Blissey but my co-worker couldn't put a Pokemon in the gym and we couldn't train it up So, questions:

-How do you train up a gym, if at all, to get your team to put other Pokemon in?
-How do you get gym badges? Spun the disc, battled and nothing came in.
-How do you get the rare items from gyms?

So many unknowns..

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Perhaps gyms are currently only half-implemented to stave off boredom.

Louisgod posted:

So many unknowns..

WHERE

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I see a gym with 2 pokes in it. :shrug:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I see a gym with 2 pokes in it. :shrug:

yeah I dunno, now there are five Pokemon in the gym near me (I'm the Blissey):

No clue how to train them up to get them in. Battling is weird too.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Louisgod posted:

yeah I dunno, now there are five Pokemon in the gym near me:

No clue how to train them up to get them in. Battling is weird too.

Your friend didn't happen to try and put a same poke in did they?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
No more training up a gym. There are 6 slots - you can only have 1 of your own in each gym like before, and max of 1 type of pokemon per gym (no more gym full of dragonites).

This is the most defenders I'll ever have set I think. Where I live, by the time I put a 'mon in a gym I had to grab my bonus quickly before it was out. Think the most I ever pulled off was 3.

So far I've noticed gym badges aren't working yet. You also have to feed a berry to your 'mon right when you put it in the gym to get it to full stamina - looks like it starts at 85-90%.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Your friend didn't happen to try and put a same poke in did they?

Ohh she very well could have, makes sense.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Gyms are up and badges worked (for me). I had to spin the pokedisk after my pokemon was knocked out. Which brings me to my second point:

Niantic changed the system so that, instead of having huge piles of Valor botters occupying every gym so I can only get 20 coins a day, now there are slightly smaller piles of valor botters STILL occupying every gym and I get nothing. I expected maybe a coin for having held a gym for a few minutes, but I got exactly nothing. So unless you're on the same team as your area's botters, I don't see the point.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
h e h while typing somebody dropped a sixth Pokemon in the gym near me. Welcome to what gyms will look like for the next 10 years:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Emasculator posted:

Gyms are up and badges worked (for me). I had to spin the pokedisk after my pokemon was knocked out.

Ah, I'll try spinning one I don't have an animedog in. I only tried spinning disks on stops I put one in, wonder if that had something to do with it.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Took a walk at lunch break and filled in an empty gym and took down a Mystic gym with a few pokemon in it. I like that you can chose to back out between each round instead of wasting revives because your timing wasn't right to escape.

So is there a delay or limit on how often you can feed berries to your mon? If not are we going to see spoofers berry locking gyms down?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Louisgod posted:

h e h while typing somebody dropped a sixth Pokemon in the gym near me. Welcome to what gyms will look like for the next 10 years:

weird, I saw the exact same lineup in the gym closest to me!

Its going to be hilarious if getting coins is even harder for minority teams

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Steve Jorbs posted:

Took a walk at lunch break and filled in an empty gym and took down a Mystic gym with a few pokemon in it. I like that you can chose to back out between each round instead of wasting revives because your timing wasn't right to escape.

So is there a delay or limit on how often you can feed berries to your mon? If not are we going to see spoofers berry locking gyms down?

The longer a mon stays in a gym the faster the natural decay rate, which is supposed to help against staying rooted in a gym forever.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
So can you only feed the defender berries if you're in range of the gym? That's gonna be a real bitch

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GPTribefan posted:

So can you only feed the defender berries if you're in range of the gym? That's gonna be a real bitch

That or get someone on your team to do it for you.

This game needs in-game chat/messaging more than ever now

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Reports on reddit are saying it seems like high cp pokemon are losing 1 motivation every 2 minutes.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Geoff Zahn posted:

Reports on reddit are saying it seems like high cp pokemon are losing 1 motivation every 2 minutes.

Is 1 motivation = 1 CP, or something else?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Geoff Zahn posted:

What is high cp though? 3000? 2800? 2500?

Also there is allegedly a gym limit now: 20 gyms

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Louisgod posted:

Is 1 motivation = 1 CP, or something else?

Yes.

Away all Goats posted:

What is high cp though? 3000? 2800? 2500?

They were saying 2000+. Just sat on the screen on the gyms near work and my 2950 Gyrados lost 1 CP after 2 minutes, same for my 2213 Steelix. Not sure what the rate is for under 2000 yet.

Edit: Also there are reports of people sometimes earning candies for feeding berries to their pokemon.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So a Pokemon loses 720 CP after 24 hours. Seems pretty easy to level back up via berries.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Another Reddit post says you have a chance to get a Pokémon candy, besides the 20 Stardust, when you feed a gym mon berries. Cool if true.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Trip Report: gym battles are buggy AF. Do you dodge? Stop doing that. Hope you like arbitrary damage amounts delivered at random intervals.

The look overall is much improved and the new battles won counter will be cool when it starts working. I killed a Dragonite and Exeggutor half a dozen times with the same Jynx and the counter never incremented.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The update has brought a level 30 out of retirement in my town. I'm not the only player on red anymore lol

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

The longer a mon stays in a gym the faster the natural decay rate, which is supposed to help against staying rooted in a gym forever.

Also according to redditors you can only give a mon 10 berries so this would prevent a bot from just sitting there giving berries endlessly.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Okay I figured some stuff out:

-Save berries as you can feed each Pokemon any berry but there's a limit.
-Feeding berries levels up your gym badge for that gym. Fill the gym badge meter to get to bronze, silver and then gold.
-My bronze gym badge has a shadow Pikachu on it that I can't click into, it just spins.
-gently caress team red, they're pieces of poo poo. A couple huge fat fucks from our IT side sat and took down the six blue Pokemon.

My Blissey's about to be kicked out and has been in there for an hour and a half, curious if I get anything for it.

e: nothing for an hour and a half of squatting. Gyms are dumb.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Louisgod posted:

e: nothing for an hour and a half of squatting. Gyms are dumb.

Check your overall coin count; apparently it's now 1 coin per hour.

• Locked thread