Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harvey Smith confirmed that they'll likely continue working on Dishonored games, even if Death of the Outsider closes the 3-game chapter on the current narrative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2XV-Gv7PU0

Expected them to move on but I can't say I'm disappointed. Here's to a fruitful game in the future without the goddamn Void engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the best possible news because Dishonored is great but the story possibilities of Corvo, Emily, Daud and Billie seem pretty squeezed out. Pretty ballsy to end it with killing off the Outsider - on the one hand it feels like we're losing a defining element of the Dishonored premise, on the other it says very clearly that if they make another one they're gonna think of something fresh.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Next Dishonored game is a Echo the Dolphin type game but you play as a void whale.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That assumes they'll suceed, don't have Daud become the new outsider, or similiar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whatever happens, there's always a new outsider-like figure eventually after one dies. This isn't the first and won't be the last.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

She's just gonna kill the new outsider so the one with the better voice can come back

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Going by the previous novels, it turns out sending Delilah to her fantasy world was ultimately the best thing that happened to her and lead to a dramatic increase in her power, allowing her to come back and ruin the kingdom. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If i never get to see Delilah again it'll still be too soon

Never bring back Delilah

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The non-lethal ending for Delilah was far too kind. Less evil people get shipped off to a life of slavery in a mine, handed over to their rapey admirer, or electroshocked into mental retardation. Delilah gets to live in her fantasy world forever. The best reaction you get out of her is by depowering her witch friend and then gloating about it. It's too bad Arkane didn't come out with seperate dialogue for depowering and then killing her.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Void is what powers abilities, not the Outsider -- it's a vessel, if anything. Billie and Daud were decent assassins, but I'm not sure they can kill the astral plane.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bogart posted:

The Void is what powers abilities, not the Outsider -- it's a vessel, if anything. Billie and Daud were decent assassins, but I'm not sure they can kill the astral plane.

Yeah. That seems more a Felix Walken kind of job, to be honest.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I would hate to see how you people treat your family members. Poor Auntie Delilah.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Avalerion posted:

That assumes they'll suceed, don't have Daud become the new outsider, or similiar.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plot is the Outsider setting up Daud to be his successor.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Corvo was the outsider all along

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Corvo was the outsider all along

I guess the real outsider... was friendship.

Or a classic Ramones single. One or the other.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The real Outsider was the bodies we stashed along the way :unsmith:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Hopefully we kill the outsider only to discover he was protecting us from space squid all along, leaving Billie to take up the space whale mantle.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Outsider sacrifices himself to stop the world from being sucked into the black hole at the center of the Void.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

The real Outsider was the bodies we stashed along the way :unsmith:

The real Outsider was the countless cases of brain damage I caused in my non-lethal play.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I've finally gotten around to this... is it just me or is this just not as fun as the first one? I can't quite put my finger on it, I'm in the clockwork manor and between the machine soldiers and the constant piped in bad guy every five seconds it's kinda killed my interest in it all.
I loved the first one a lot, should I push on through? or is this a pretty good representation of the rest of the game?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Neither of the things you mentioned appear in the rest of the game (except the occasional clockwork soldier, but they're really easy to deal with - just snipe the head and then sneak past or jump assassinate them), so I guess not?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

carrionman posted:

I've finally gotten around to this... is it just me or is this just not as fun as the first one? I can't quite put my finger on it, I'm in the clockwork manor and between the machine soldiers and the constant piped in bad guy every five seconds it's kinda killed my interest in it all.
I loved the first one a lot, should I push on through? or is this a pretty good representation of the rest of the game?

The next level is a much more traditional "large city area with a manor thing you have to infiltrate" level, if that helps.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

And of course you could move behind the walls instead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also the clockwork mansion and another level further in the game that plays with level design are easily the best and you have bad taste.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

How can you not like the clockwork mansion :psyduck:

Also the gameplay is exactly the same as D1, if you liked that you should like D2, it's basically just more levels of the same thing

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Funny, because they hyped up the clockwork soldiers something fierce but they only appear in what...two, maybe three levels?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they are a focal and interesting threat every time they are presented

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The clockwork mansion is one of the best levels in either of the games. It's also possible to complete it without Jindosh ever knowing you are there.

The clockwork soldiers also become basically a non-threat or even helpful once you figure out one of the many ways to neutralize them.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the dlc for the first game good enough to justify spending seven and a half bux on?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

the dlc for the first game good enough to justify spending seven and a half bux on?

Which one? The trials are very missable, although there is one which is basically a Thief level which is pretty rad. Knife and Witches are great and you should definitely buy them

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

NecroMonster posted:

Knife of Dunwall and the Brigmore Witches are two parts of the story-based DLC, and frankly they're pretty much mandatory; the low-chaos canon version of their stories cap Dishonored 1 and tie directly into 2. Dunwall City Trials is fun for about twenty minutes and then you sorta feel like you're wasting your time.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 23, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cnidaria posted:

The clockwork mansion is one of the best levels in either of the games. It's also possible to complete it without Jindosh ever knowing you are there.

I uh, "accidentally" did that on my first playthrough, becuase the dude was going all Bioshock Atlas on me to push the button to continue, so i thought "gently caress that, i'm going through the roof, sucker." I also did a stealth/non-lethal playthrough so it felt appropriate.

I guess i've never experienced how it's meant to be experienced so far, since i only took backroads and only saw the scene changes from the outside when i pushed some levers myself. I don't actually know how the level's supposed to flow, it was mostly some confusing hopping through elevators for me.

Coolguye posted:

they are a focal and interesting threat every time they are presented
The interesting threat of "i hope i still have a cluster mine left, i should stock up again in case there's more coming in the future"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

3Romeo posted:

Knife of Dunwall and the Brigmore Witches are two parts of the story based DLC, and frankly they're pretty much mandatory; the low-chaos canon version of their stories cap Dishonored 1 and tie directly into 2. Dunwall City Trials is fun for about twenty minutes, and then you sorta feel like you're wasting your time.

good answer. Thanks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's mentioned in the end level that the overseers were Overwhelmed because Witches + Clockwork Soldiers balance each other really well and they weren't ready for the soldiers, so I'd have liked to see them patrolling paired together; I think it would've made an interesting hazard, especially if they had special behaviors with their partners.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
With music boxes and hand grenades, they shouldn't have had a problem, really.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Hannibal Rex posted:

Why didn't we see the music box dudes in DH2 again? Has Arkane said why?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hannibal Rex posted:

They weren't being stealthy. In open combat, a witch could windblast grenades and if you get close enough to music box the witch, the Soldier will slaughter you.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Should have brought back the stilt walkers. Witches and soldiers would have been helpless against something above eye level.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why didn't we see the music box dudes in DH2 again? Has Arkane said why?

I swear there was a document early on in the game that mentions how the Overseers weren't using it lately but I can't recall where you find it. They definitely mentioned it in-game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think it's idle dialogue that mentions they're a giant pain in the arse to create, and are extremely limited as a result. Not sure out of the meta reason.

• Locked thread