Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

ijyt posted:

Gloss > Matte > Gloss is fine yeah. Be careful when spraying the matte on the grass as that likes to frost up.

the gloossy section didn't go matt enough, so I just added more flock ontop and it did the job - I was worried it would shine through, but no such issue so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

The metals on this guy is blowing my mind.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Those 15mm have an amazing style, I'm not sure what they're for, but I'd love to have a fantasy army painted like that.

So I finally came up with an idea for my oversized and armoured coal hopper, but I want to know if there's any glaring issues with the concept sketch or something I missed. The army theme is ecclesiarchy sisters of battle, and the only thing I can think of is to turn the coal hopper into a giant (it's 8-1/4"x3.5" by 4" tall) vertical grav tank/transport for an inquisitor and retinue. I'd figure the inquisition would have the resources and know-how to cruise around in something so bizarre and obviously old. This is going to be stupidly tall, but I think it'll be really kinda intimidating/cool looking. Maybe?

Sketch for my ideas of additions:

It'll need some sort of "repulsor drive" or ports on the underside, but I was mostly trying to get an interesting shape I can work around. (I've flipped this thing around for every possible orientation)

The actual thing as it currently is:

I was going to post pictures of the "finished" exorcists but I keep coming up with stupid little additions after taking photos. The last was a full set of field kit tools after taking "finished" photos.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Love it all. When you do you zenithal priming, are you doing black > gray > white?

That is right.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Painted up a KD Flower knight, boy do I love the model. As always it looks even better in person. As I write that I remember I need to think even better of photos I see online of other people's work.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

dr_ether posted:

That is right.

Are you using an airbrush? If so, do you airbrush your primary colors over the zenithal highlights? Every time I've tried it, I ended up destroying my highlights =(

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Are you using an airbrush? If so, do you airbrush your primary colors over the zenithal highlights? Every time I've tried it, I ended up destroying my highlights =(

Go lighter on the airbrushing.

I base coat over a zenithal and it feels like cheating with fleshy-type surfaces.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I've got a set of these arriving in the mail this weekend:

Just sayin', but Mr. Skeltal in the middle with the scythe reminds me of the old skelemans from HeroQuest:

Not that that's a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, given the scale, it might even be able to fit on the board, base and all, with little hassle.

Now you got me thinking about that...

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

dmnz posted:

The metals on this guy is blowing my mind.

I could try and make a tutorial or something. It took me forever to find a way to make a copper I like

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I could try and make a tutorial or something. It took me forever to find a way to make a copper I like

That would be cool, that dudes metals are really great color theory stuff

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dr_ether posted:

That is right.

Thanks - I know some folks just do white/gray over black, skipping that middle transition. Figured I'd ask, since your stuff looked so good.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I'm gonna second this one. The metal looks really awesome. I'm painting Necrons and not quite happy with the metallic paint.

Skails fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 23, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got my Frostgrave warbands assembled and I'm very happy with how they're turning out.

The top crew are obviously very inspired by GW Chaos using the Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Sorcerer from Warhammer Quest as Illusionist Wizard and Apprentice, the warband is a mixture of barbarians, cultists and halfbreed gnolls. Pointy-hat crew are Chronomancers, I used an Empire Wizard kit to get a pair - one with an astronomy globe staff and the other with a converted hour-glass. The Wizard's pointy hat has carried over to his warband:

I'm looking for interesting colour combinations! I think the Illusionist needs to be Tzeentch-style bright turqoise and pink. For the Chronomancers I'm thinking of muted greys, whites and terracotta. Thoughts?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

X-Posting from the Infinity thread...

Couldn't help dicking around with UV reactive paint on my Speculo, since her weapon is clearly a loving lightsaber... (poo poo phone photos because I had to set up a micro-studio on the display shelf under my blacklight)

Unlit

Blacklight + House light

Just Blacklight :rock:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Xaerael posted:

X-Posting from the Infinity thread...

Couldn't help dicking around with UV reactive paint on my Speculo, since her weapon is clearly a loving lightsaber... (poo poo phone photos because I had to set up a micro-studio on the display shelf under my blacklight)

Unlit

Blacklight + House light

Just Blacklight :rock:

That's cool as hell!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That's really cool. I'm looking into getting a big blacklight for my table since my new tyranids are all kinds of fluorescent. Should be really wild under a black light.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That's awesome. How bright is it if you turn on a blacklight in addition to normal light?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Arcturas posted:

That's awesome. How bright is it if you turn on a blacklight in addition to normal light?

It Illuminates enough to be noticeable, but the blacklight source needs to be pretty close. In the photos, the light is about 6" away. Also, the paint I used isn't my usual UV reactive since I had no fresh blue, and it's definitely less reactive.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Has anyone figured out a good way to knock out a lot of 28mm World War II British Infantry to a decent tabletop level speed painting style? When I say "speed painting", I mean something like what I did with these Poxwalkers:

They're basically primed grey, basecoated in a mixture of Dead Flesh / Pale Flesh, washed with greens and browns, had their other colours picked out and washed, then based. I think the whole unit took me 4-6 hours.

I've been experimenting with basecoating my Brits with Vallejo's British Uniform, picking out details and flesh, washing with Agrellan Flesh and then basing but it doesn't look good at all. Something needs to be done differently and I can't figure out what.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Der Shovel posted:

Has anyone figured out a good way to knock out a lot of 28mm World War II British Infantry to a decent tabletop level speed painting style?
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://iagsmgm.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/late-war-british-infantry-painting-guide.html

The methods described there could be done very quickly.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gonna throw up my WIP against the thread regulars cause there's some loving beautiful models here. But I'm slowly plodding along with my first test model for my Combined Army scheme:

Gonna do a very dark grey-black for the armour and I'm leaning towards a bright blue/turquoise for the plasma venting and eyes as a contrasting colour.

I've also learned I'm a really messy painter. :v:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thread, meat Ruhnald - the Barbarian Man at Arms

As you can see, he has taken the Elk as his totem. It is his mission in life to emulate the Elk in strength, speed and agility and so, has taken the spear and shield as his preferred weapons. He's what you'd call a more 'traditional' member in the warband. Seeking to be an example to others as just what one can achieve through dedication to one's craft and one's Tribe.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And here's the current state of the warband so far!

I've been taking pictures of them lined up like that the whole way, from bare plastic to now :)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Your warband is pretty amazing. I really dig the frozen city bases.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Has anyone figured out a good way to knock out a lot of 28mm World War II British Infantry to a decent tabletop level speed painting style? When I say "speed painting", I mean something like what I did with these Poxwalkers:

They're basically primed grey, basecoated in a mixture of Dead Flesh / Pale Flesh, washed with greens and browns, had their other colours picked out and washed, then based. I think the whole unit took me 4-6 hours.

I've been experimenting with basecoating my Brits with Vallejo's British Uniform, picking out details and flesh, washing with Agrellan Flesh and then basing but it doesn't look good at all. Something needs to be done differently and I can't figure out what.

I know it's looked down upon a lot in the painting community, but a modified dip method is a great way to get rank and file done quickly. Sorastro has a good guide for Zombicide models - he compares it to other wash methods and shows why it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOTmOchKyQ

FYI Minwax Polyshades are a much cheaper alternative to the Army Painter stains.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

What's consideres the "best" airbrush colours these days? I have a few of Vallejo air, but since I'm starting a new army and need new colours I wouldn't mind changing.
I hear Styleinzieriz is the best primer, are the rest of the Minitaire colours also good? They have some spot on colours for Fists I think, so that would be nice.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 26, 2017

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

HardCoil posted:

What's consideres the "best" airbrush colours these days? I have a few of Vallejo air, but since I'm starting a new army and need new colours I wouldn't mind changing.
I hear Styleinzieriz is the best primer, are the rest of the Minitaire colours also good? They have some spot on colours for Fists I think, so that would be nice.

Vallejo air are what I use and they're a pretty top tier option. Real jealous of the scale 75 stuffing see popping up on here all the time though

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I like Vallejo Game Air and Model Air a lot.

Reaper paints are awesome because they're versatile enough for brush painting but still very thin and work great in an airbrush (I've been doing a lot of airbrush basecoating w/ Reaper HD and have 0 issues).

I really want to like the scale75 paints but I find them a lot harder to work with. They're great for brush but they have a tendency to get gummy in my airbrush which makes after-paint cleaning a real pain in the rear end. Some of the colors are really great though.

I use the Vallejo primers too and have no complaints.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I have the Badger Minitaire paints, and they differ wildly in quality imo. The base airbrush layers in yellow might be fine, but I wouldn't try to use them with a brush. The greys are pretty solid though.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

HardCoil posted:

I just began airbrushing this week but already fell in love with the Badger primer.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Cool, thanks, I have lots of Reaper paints, didn't realize that they could go straight in the airbrush

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Speaking of airbrushing, where and how do you guys mix your paints?

I have a top-fed airbrush and both mixing in the brush's hopper and mixing in a container and then pouring have their downsides. If I mix in the hopper, there will inevitably be some thicker gunk at the bottom, and if I mix in a container (especially if I'm mixing a smaller amount) it seems like most of it will just stay in the container when I pour.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Speaking of airbrushing, where and how do you guys mix your paints?

I have a top-fed airbrush and both mixing in the brush's hopper and mixing in a container and then pouring have their downsides. If I mix in the hopper, there will inevitably be some thicker gunk at the bottom, and if I mix in a container (especially if I'm mixing a smaller amount) it seems like most of it will just stay in the container when I pour.

Mix in the hopper but put the thinner in BEFORE the paint, and pour the paint down the side instead of into the center. Boom, fixed.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

General Olloth posted:

Mix in the hopper but put the thinner in BEFORE the paint, and pour the paint down the side instead of into the center. Boom, fixed.

This.

I also backflush to ensure mixing.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

This.

I also backflush to ensure mixing.

Yeah, I stir with a popsickle stick and then do a backflush, follow up with a quick test spray on the paper inside my spray box and then go to town.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've trying my first Pox Boy. Here's my wip.

Any tips or things you think I should think about tweaking?

I don't have a green shade so I went with my green glaze on the buboes, but mixing that and the purple on the open sores I feel like I'm starting to get a little more Slaanesh than Nurgle with the clashing vibrant colors.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

I don't have a green shade so I went with my green glaze on the buboes, but mixing that and the purple on the open sores I feel like I'm starting to get a little more Slaanesh than Nurgle with the clashing vibrant colors.

Maybe dirty up the skin around the boils and in the recesses. I'd say use Agrax or Athonian Camoshade for the diseased touch.

Looks pretty sweet though!

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mango sentinel posted:

Aside from cleaning up that one green splotch under his right armpit, he looks pretty good to me!
If you want, you could try using a red or pink wash around the boils, to give it the look of an angry infection, maybe?

Also, are torn trousers the GW equivalent of a fig leaf now? :P

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For Airbrushing:

Best Primer: Badger Stynelrez

Best Paints: Literally anything. Just buy Vallejo Flow Improver. Ta-da, any minature acrylic paint you want now goes through your airbrush.

I've got, and use Citadel, P3, Vallejo model and Game colour, Minitare, Reaper, and now (my favourite line) Scale 75.

They're all fine, and have their own uses. But seriously. Buy Vallejo flow improver. It's Airbrushing made easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My flow improver arrived. I've not had a chance to test it yet. I hope its as good as you say.