Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Is 105F too hot to go sailing? I think I might be able to survive rigging and launching, but I don't have a Bimini so I'm afraid I'll cook, even if I avoid running DDW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sunscreen, beer, and jump in the water to cool off.

Of course, I have use of a boat with a slip and a furler, so there's none of this raise the big stick attach the little stick business each time we want to go out. I may also be somewhat frustrated and wanting to sail, as I've spent all week being race committee rather than racing myself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Saw two ships collide today during the first of two races. Boats are running down the starting line waiting for the start signal to turn onto the first leg. One boat on a port tack is stalled out for some reason despite plenty of head wind. The rest of the boats are on a starboard tack with right of way and are beginning to turn onto the first leg. Apparently the boat right in front of us (starboard tack) didn't see the stalled out boat and tacked to head into the leg but as soon as they did he saw the other boat and hit her amidships with a loud thud. The boat with right of way filed a protest with the race committee and they both headed back to harbor, appeared to be no injuries but it was a scary sight. Start of races is always the most intense part and both ships were experienced sailors, it was obviously the port tack boats fault as they didn't have right of way but seeing it happen in front of us it was odd that the ship that hit her didn't see her and turned directly into her.

Be careful out there everyone!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I've started reaching out to people about their sailboats for sale in the Caribbean.

It's finally happening...

Sometime this year, and perhaps this summer, I will purchase a 32-38' sailboat to live aboard and cruise single-handed in the Caribbean for a few years. :)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Kenshin posted:

I've started reaching out to people about their sailboats for sale in the Caribbean.

Sometime this year, and perhaps this summer, I will purchase a 32-38' sailboat to live aboard and cruise single-handed in the Caribbean for a few years. :)

You're awesome. I hate you! :)

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Putting the boat in tomorrow. please God nothing break. I have no knuckles left to skin.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

bird cooch posted:

Putting the boat in tomorrow. please God nothing break. I have no knuckles left to skin.

Amen.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm seeing a lot of small 12-18' Hobies and clone around pretty cheap. Anyone recommendations on getting one?

I just want to name something Boatse.cx

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Kenshin posted:

Isnt a boat that size hard to sail by yourself? I guess you could use the engines but where is the fun in that.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Applesnots posted:

Isnt a boat that size hard to sail by yourself? I guess you could use the engines but where is the fun in that.
No, not if you set it up correctly.

Lazy-jacks, decent autopilot, lines leading to the cockpit, etc. There are a number of things you can do to set a boat up for single-handing.

The German guy who runs the SY ZERO youtube channel has single-handed his 50' ketch from Hawaii to Alaska to Seattle.

(edit: I have skippered up to 50' monohulls and catamarans and easily dual-handed those large boats with a buddy of mine)

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Kenshin posted:

No, not if you set it up correctly.

Lazy-jacks, decent autopilot, lines leading to the cockpit, etc. There are a number of things you can do to set a boat up for single-handing.

The German guy who runs the SY ZERO youtube channel has single-handed his 50' ketch from Hawaii to Alaska to Seattle.

(edit: I have skippered up to 50' monohulls and catamarans and easily dual-handed those large boats with a buddy of mine)

I've always wondered, how do you sleep? Can you like, just stop sailing for 8 hours and go to bed? Do you have to pull out of a shipping (sailing?) lane and just float for a bit? Do you have to make sure your ports are one days sail apart?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

I've always wondered, how do you sleep? Can you like, just stop sailing for 8 hours and go to bed? Do you have to pull out of a shipping (sailing?) lane and just float for a bit? Do you have to make sure your ports are one days sail apart?

There are a lot of methods and it depends largely on your surroundings.

One thing to remember is that 95% of cruising life is on anchor, especially in a place like the Eastern Caribbean, Puget Sound/San Juan Islands, Phuket area, or the Aegean Sea where there are generally good anchorages nearby within a partial-day sail anywhere you are.

So part of it is planning correctly and making sure you leave with optimal weather.

For longer single-handed passages (which I'm not really planning to make many of, especially in my first year), there are a few methods. If you're a relatively busy area, you "sleep" in the cockpit with short 15-20 minute shut-eye and an alarm waking you up to check your surroundings. It can also be a great idea to have radar and AIS with proximity alarms. For longer passages when it's less likely that you'll be near any freighters, oil platforms, or fishing (nets or long-lines, these are especially an issue in SE Asia but also in parts of the Caribbean and Africa) you can take 1-2 hour naps around the clock with 2-5 mile radar and AIS alarms set.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Kenshin posted:

There are a lot of methods and it depends largely on your surroundings.

One thing to remember is that 95% of cruising life is on anchor, especially in a place like the Eastern Caribbean, Puget Sound/San Juan Islands, Phuket area, or the Aegean Sea where there are generally good anchorages nearby within a partial-day sail anywhere you are.

So part of it is planning correctly and making sure you leave with optimal weather.

For longer single-handed passages (which I'm not really planning to make many of, especially in my first year), there are a few methods. If you're a relatively busy area, you "sleep" in the cockpit with short 15-20 minute shut-eye and an alarm waking you up to check your surroundings. It can also be a great idea to have radar and AIS with proximity alarms. For longer passages when it's less likely that you'll be near any freighters, oil platforms, or fishing (nets or long-lines, these are especially an issue in SE Asia but also in parts of the Caribbean and Africa) you can take 1-2 hour naps around the clock with 2-5 mile radar and AIS alarms set.

Neat, thanks! So no "ehhh there's nobody around here" and go down below and go to sleep for 6 - 8 hours then. I mean, it makes sense, but I can also see why you wouldn't want to do a lot of solo long passages.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Set your radar and AIS to warn you of close approaches and close your eyes for a bit.

Singlehanded sailing and especially offshore racing is crazy. They just sail, non-stop. Cruisers on a passage too.
Going two weeks or more, never sleeping more than 45 minutes consecutively while under high physical and cognitive demands sound like either a sure ticket to achieving Nirvana or complete breakdown.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Neat, thanks! So no "ehhh there's nobody around here" and go down below and go to sleep for 6 - 8 hours then. I mean, it makes sense, but I can also see why you wouldn't want to do a lot of solo long passages.

Yeah. Especially on a sailboat where the wind can change. You need to be VERY aware of the barometric pressure overnight, if it ever starts dropping, put a reef in the sails.

Reef early, reef often applies double to single-handing.

monsterzero posted:

Set your radar and AIS to warn you of close approaches and close your eyes for a bit.

Singlehanded sailing and especially offshore racing is crazy. They just sail, non-stop. Cruisers on a passage too.
Going two weeks or more, never sleeping more than 45 minutes consecutively while under high physical and cognitive demands sound like either a sure ticket to achieving Nirvana or complete breakdown.

Yep. To clarify, I really, really, REALLY want to do ocean crossings at some point, but not solo, and not in a boat shorter than about 45'.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

monsterzero posted:

TIL something else that having a newborn prepared me for!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

Yep. To clarify, I really, really, REALLY want to do ocean crossings at some point, but not solo, and not in a boat shorter than about 45'.

Yes. But my brain is broken and I like the idea of sailing s 32' to Hawaii by myself.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

monsterzero posted:

Yeah, I remember reading the Bumfuzzle blog way back and thinking how difficult the longer passages they did would be. With two people they were basically alternating 1 or 2 hour watches through the night for days on end when doing the full ocean crossings. Even that would drive me insane after a night or two, I can't imagine trying to do it solo. I'm sure there's parents that scoff at such luxurious sleep schedules but still.

edit:

TIL something else that having a newborn prepared me for!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

monsterzero posted:

Yes. But my brain is broken and I like the idea of sailing s 32' to Hawaii by myself.

I mean there's that partially-disabled vet who did that (and then went much, much further) solo in a 26' boat who writes for Cruising World but that requires a very special level of crazy and introverted.

I have the right level of crazy for my plans, but not nearly enough crazy or introversion to cross the Pacific solo in a small boat.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've been singlehanding a 36' (that i live on) around the pnw for the last 3 years and heading off next year to attempt a solo circumnavigation of the globe . Singlehanding is all about having everything setup correctly and thinking everything through before you do it

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Alctel posted:

I've been singlehanding a 36' (that i live on) around the pnw for the last 3 years and heading off next year to attempt a solo circumnavigation of the globe . Singlehanding is all about having everything setup correctly and thinking everything through before you do it

I've been following your blog ⛵️😁

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

meltie posted:

I've been following your blog ⛵️😁

Ohhh. Alctel, mind linking your blog?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Kenshin posted:

Ohhh. Alctel, mind linking your blog?

Would also like a link!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sure, it's https://www.gudgeonblog.ca

I wasn't self promoting though, just saying that a boat in the 30s is definitely single-handable if set up right.

Guy on my dock singlehands a 48' - that'd be too much for me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Smallest boat I ever crossed the Atlantic in was 700' long. Wouldn't do it in anything smaller myself but I see the appeal.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

bird cooch posted:

Waah-waaah. Had to limp back on one engine.

Rocker arm backed out I think, or a little water got in and leaked into the valve guides or ????. It was finger loose when I removed it. I whacked the valve with a hammer and it stuck down and slooowly came back up. I hand turned the engine with the valve down and didn't hit the piston, but if it did, I'm just going to smooth it out and roll with it.
It honestly might be from over rev or a million things. I'm just going to replace everything.
I'm picking up a remaned complete Ford 460 head for 75$ and a HG kit for 65$. Toss that in.

Still had a great day out.

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006

Alctel posted:

Sure, it's https://www.gudgeonblog.ca

I wasn't self promoting though, just saying that a boat in the 30s is definitely single-handable if set up right.

Guy on my dock singlehands a 48' - that'd be too much for me.

really wanting to read your blog, but...

edit: herp derp on me, http works just fine.

Blinky Blinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 4, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I went sailing unsupervised for the first time yesterday. There is a wildfire threatening the launch I use on the main part of the lake (Bidwell Canyon, Lake Oroville) so I had to launch way up a fork.

We were in pretty steep canyons, and had the wind at our backs outbound so I brought out the whisker pole and sailed wing-and-wing. The wind wasn't steady so after an unexpected gybe I rigged up a preventer and pretended I knew what I was doing.

I looked less polished when trying to anchor up for swimming. Think I need to carry a spike or something that I can drive into the shore and tie the bow up to, also I need to get gud at setting a stern anchor. Wakes from passing motorboats were moving us around pretty good.

Also, I need to double check I've removed the bow ladder before I get back underway. That's gotta be worse than fenders out. :doh:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Finally found a marine surveyor in St Thomas who is going to be able to do a pre-survey inspection for me for the 35' sailboat that is at the top of my interest list.

Not sure I'll want him to do the full survey if I decide to move forward though since he's a Survey Associate, not an Accredited Marine Surveyor.

Anyone have any experience with how much of a difference that makes to insurance companies?

EDIT: lol I'm just going to call the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors tomorrow and ask them directly.

EDIT-2: The pre-survey inspection is scheduled for Friday morning. I'm really excited. :)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 12, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

Finally found a marine surveyor in St Thomas who is going to be able to do a pre-survey inspection for me for the 35' sailboat that is at the top of my interest list.

Not sure I'll want him to do the full survey if I decide to move forward though since he's a Survey Associate, not an Accredited Marine Surveyor.

Anyone have any experience with how much of a difference that makes to insurance companies?

EDIT: lol I'm just going to call the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors tomorrow and ask them directly.

EDIT-2: The pre-survey inspection is scheduled for Friday morning. I'm really excited. :)

Survey? If my extensive watching of "quit my job to sail around" youtube channels had taught me anything it's that's skipping the survey and blindly buying the first/superficially prettiest boat you see is the secret to entertaining content. So, please think of the thread while you buy your boat.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

monsterzero posted:

Survey? If my extensive watching of "quit my job to sail around" youtube channels had taught me anything it's that's skipping the survey and blindly buying the first/superficially prettiest boat you see is the secret to entertaining content. So, please think of the thread while you buy your boat.
ha ha ha ha

I watch a lot of those too (and am gonna make one myself), and I do not make mistakes like that. I'm a fairly careful planner, though not adverse to jumping on good opportunities when they come up.

That said, this is the first boat I've started moving forward on, but it's a somewhat unique situation and if the boat is in good shape (like it seems it is) then it's something I'd be dumb not to jump on.

Just... not without a full haul-out survey. So, based on the results of this Friday's inspection, I'll probably end up ordering a full survey and fly out to St. Thomas for the survey + sea trial. And, if nothing particularly bad comes out of the survey, to buy it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Kenshin posted:

ha ha ha ha

I watch a lot of those too (and am gonna make one myself), and I do not make mistakes like that. I'm a fairly careful planner, though not adverse to jumping on good opportunities when they come up.

That said, this is the first boat I've started moving forward on, but it's a somewhat unique situation and if the boat is in good shape (like it seems it is) then it's something I'd be dumb not to jump on.

Just... not without a full haul-out survey. So, based on the results of this Friday's inspection, I'll probably end up ordering a full survey and fly out to St. Thomas for the survey + sea trial. And, if nothing particularly bad comes out of the survey, to buy it.

That sounds awful. I feel for you.

While you're suffering in St. Thomas, go eat at Oceana. One of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Well, the inspection looked good, the seller's valuation survey that he sent me looks good, and my list of "stuff that has to get done" based off of those two reports and my emails with the owner/seller is surprisingly short (and I'll paste it below).

So I'm going to set up a full survey and fly down to St Thomas for it. Probably in about a week and a half.

:D

quote:

Mechanical
Engine needs an oil change and probably other maintenance.
Likely needs a rebuild at some point, it has unknown hours and the paint is “rough”
Raw water strainer hoses for engine must be replaced immediately

Electrical
Navigational lights wiring corroded, needs to be replaced. (might as well replace nav lights with LEDs while at it)
Speedlog doesn’t work. Don’t replace, remove. GPS speed better.
Radar needs to be hooked back up and tested

Exterior
Steering wheel needs attention, possible eventual replacement
Binnacle guard has cracking, eventual replacement
Needs deck + cabin structure painted (exterior)
Wind instruments need attention/replacement
Standing rigging needs to be replaced as it is 8+ years old, though in good condition. Chainplates are new as of 2015. Seals on the deck at the chainplates could use a refresh.
Sail bag needs to be replaced
Minor (early stages) corrosion on the base of the aluminum mast. Needs attention but shouldn’t need any major repairs.
Minor corrosion/rust on bow plate/anchor roller

Interior
Bilges need cleaning
Galley sink seacock needs TLC, sticky.

To Buy
Distress Flares must be replaced
Fire Extinguishers must be replaced
Doesn’t have AIS
EPIRB needs to be renewed in November

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Excited for you, man. Hope it all works out. I'd never have had the balls to do such a thing even in my single days. Kudos.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Update: made the offer, it was accepted, and on Monday we'll start making arrangements with the marina+boat yard for a haul-out in two weeks. And I gotta buy a round-trip flight to St Thomas. :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Good luck, sounds like quite a life changing time!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Setting up a wire transfer is scary (I've never done it before!), but it's done.

I technically don't "own" the boat until I get down to St Thomas and we sign the bill of sale and register it with the licensing office, but I now own a 1984 Allmand 35 Tri-Cabin sloop/cutter.

Pictures will follow once I get down to St Thomas on Thursday and start taking pictures. :)

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Kenshin posted:

...Tri-Cabin ...

Ah, so plenty of room for random internet people to visit. Congrats man!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

monsterzero posted:

Ah, so plenty of room for random internet people to visit. Congrats man!

Yeah, space for about 5-6 to sleep comfortable. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So rent in my area is around $1,200-1,500/mth and the cheapest condos are like $150,000 (plus homeowners association fees) so I was thinking of getting a ~30-35ft boat for liveaboarding for around 50k. Is this a terrible idea?

I've never sailed before, so before go all in I'd go rent a boat for a weekend to sleep in and live to see how much I could stand that sort of thing, but small spaces aren't really an issue for me (I currently live in about a ~350 sqrft)

I'm in the DC area so winters will get reasonably cold, though it's the midatlantic so not terrible.