Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I cannot help, sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think SkullKnight.net has a Berserk podcast but those guys are sperglords of the highest order. So I wouldn't want to listen to them.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Raxivace posted:

So I'm finally getting around to reading Berserk since its been on my bucket list of stuff to get to for like forever now.

Are there any decent podcasts or anything like that to listen to on the side?

This is the only thing you should be listening while reading berserk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV26zIE0130

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Behelit, Forces or bust

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cavelcade posted:

Can't believe you didn't mention March Comes In Like a Lion a bunch of months ago tut tut.

I love this choice of a theme song for Guts so much. It would've been so easy to go with some generic metal angry song but instead he captures the searching quality that Guts takes with him in his struggle so goddamn well.

Hey so, an interesting thought I came across while reading the thread was that while there was a lot of sexual violence against men in Berserk, we always approach it from their point of view - whereas when it's against women, it tends to be the outside view, and that this leads to it still feeling exploitative. Depending on how this next chapter goes in...eight? days, we could finally get to have that point of view!

Oh...oh no. :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNqo3MWXJf8

my choice. though the lack of Enka is problematic for my taste.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New Berserk - http://readms.net/r/berserk/351/4370/1

Mara and his buddies are here!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Man there sure were a lot of dicks this chapter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DeadBonesBrook posted:

New Berserk - http://readms.net/r/berserk/351/4370/1

Mara and his buddies are here!

Good to see he found work after Persona 4

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

GodFish posted:

Man there sure were a lot of dicks this chapter.

The dicks with dick legs were my favourite.

Am I reading that right? We got this far and the break is starting this issue? Or is the break starting after the next issue.

I'm saltier than I imagined.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cavelcade posted:

Am I reading that right? We got this far and the break is starting this issue? Or is the break starting after the next issue.

I'm saltier than I imagined.

Yeah I think 1 more issue and then a break. At least that's how I read it. If the break was starting now then the next issue would be after the break, when it says the break is starting.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
The real ball buster in this chapter was Miura.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The break starts with the next issue of Young Animal, which Berserk wouldn't have appeared in anyway. If there is no explicit date, it is always a hiatus.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > I (_)_): : : : : D Berserk: it is always a hiatus

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Sorry.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hiatus is terrible, but giant face of mozgus screaming about heavenly vengeance and then bloodily chewing up a bunch of dick monsters was kind of worth it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, I guess people wondering about where Farnese's sadistic tendencies went just got their answer. :stare:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Winter? drat it Miura! drat it all to hell! :negative:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Somewhere, the entire anime team realizes they will never be able to get this one past any sort of censors

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Page 1 Volume 1 and he's riding the box off a demon

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So I'm drowned in Mr. Garrison's idea of a forest, and now I'm blue-balled until winter? :smithicide:

Well... technically it's winter on the southern hemisphere now... right, guys? Guys?

E:
Miura took Zardoz a little too close too heart for this chapter

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

How the gently caress does miura make a living with all the breaks does he just live off the merchandising and anime deals god drat

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Good soup! posted:

How the gently caress does miura make a living with all the breaks does he just live off the merchandising and anime deals god drat

I gotta imagine that at this point the money he gets from the manga isn't a huge deal to him. I mean he obviously gets paid good money for it, but he's probably rich as hell so it's a bit of a moot point. He's probably doing the manga as an artistic production as opposed to the thing that he makes a living with, if that makes sense.

Although that all goes out the window if he isn't getting a decent cut of that sweet sweet pachinko machine licensing money. Does anyone know what sort of rights mangaka hold onto in Japan when they work out a deal with a publisher?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Swift is Heaven 's Vengeance!

I can't believe we're on loving hiatus now of all times.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pnumoman posted:

I gotta imagine that at this point the money he gets from the manga isn't a huge deal to him. I mean he obviously gets paid good money for it, but he's probably rich as hell so it's a bit of a moot point. He's probably doing the manga as an artistic production as opposed to the thing that he makes a living with, if that makes sense.

Although that all goes out the window if he isn't getting a decent cut of that sweet sweet pachinko machine licensing money. Does anyone know what sort of rights mangaka hold onto in Japan when they work out a deal with a publisher?

Miura probably has a better deal than your average shonen artist working in the Shueisha salt mines. He made the whole first volume of Berserk and had it published before it was serialized.

I doubt he's, like, fabulously wealthy like Oda, but Miura is probably comfortably well-off.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Well then.

That certainly is ... a way to handle mind-breaking rape and torture.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I decided to read the first chapter with my morning coffee before I started my day's coding and accidentally read the first volume and ordered volumes 3-4 too. When does Griffith appear? I want to see if he's as big a poo poo as I recollect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Volume 4, I think.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Me after reading this chapter:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Man, what an amazing chapter. Farnese's secret weapon was perfect, I wonder if she can learn to do that on the physical world.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Those were some really buff and veiny dudes!

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, I guess people wondering about where Farnese's sadistic tendencies went just got their answer. :stare:

Was Farnese ever really a sadist though? The impression I had was that she was basically extremely lonely and acting like that made her the center of attention and gave her the feeling of being needed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
She masturbated while thinking about burning people alive. I think she had moved a bit beyond attention seeking behavior

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Piriwi posted:

Was Farnese ever really a sadist though? The impression I had was that she was basically extremely lonely and acting like that made her the center of attention and gave her the feeling of being needed.

You can argue the psychological basis for it as well as you could with any real person, but the bottom line is she got off on the idea of torturing people and being tortured.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Piriwi posted:

That's part of it, but by the time we meet her she's definitely a sadist. Remember when she got off on whipping Guts? It's easy to forget her early characterization because she's changed so much.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

skasion posted:

She masturbated while thinking about burning people alive. I think she had moved a bit beyond attention seeking behavior

Hmm I should reread. I remember it as being more about her trying to feel something at all, rather than deriving pleasure from pain of others. And her finding friends and a purpose essentially filling that inner emotional emptiness. I suppose it's a fine line though... it's not like it matters to the people getting burned/tortured.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, though, if you do need to vent your urges, performing therapy on one of your friends by squeezing demonic dicks to death with a torture device shaped like your former boss is certainly a way to do it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

aghhhhhhh I can't stop reading, Griffith just got made a viscount!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Begemot posted:

That's part of it, but by the time we meet her she's definitely a sadist. Remember when she got off on whipping Guts? It's easy to forget her early characterization because she's changed so much.

She had a bit of a hardon for Saint Mozguz' Torture Funhouse as well IIRC.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

*in the most David Attenborough voice posssible*

"Today on Wild Midland, we explore the renowned Thicket of Hooting Penises. If you look closely at that pile of bloody entrails on the left you'll spot a nest of Lesser Phimotic Warblers, and over there the proudly erect form of the Two-Glanned Smegmagant."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Vengarr posted:

She had a bit of a hardon for Saint Mozguz' Torture Funhouse as well IIRC.

I interpreted that as a kind of "oh poo poo how do you even react to that" but I dunno it could be either.