Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've never played Planescape: Torment. Is it worth playing nowadays, or is it too unapproachable at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Does anyone know if that River City Ransom: Underground game ever got better with patches? People said it was pretty rough at launch.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Here is my list of wants. Any suggestions on ones I should pass?

The Jackbox Party Pack 2 Or The Jackbox party pack 3?

SOMA or Alien: Isolation

Rust Alpha

Overcooked

Bomb Squad Academy

Hollow Knight

My Summer Car

OneShot

Phoning Home

King Arthur's Gold

Gateways

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i cant imagine king arthurs gold still has much of a playerbase

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

Turd Herder posted:

Alien: Isolation

I can not shill harder for Alien: Isolation, easily one of my favorite games in recent memory. The story probably won't blow you out of the water but the cat and mouse stealth gameplay of Alien blew me away (even though it gets trivialized later on by the flamethrower). I haven't played SOMA, so I couldn't speak to a comparison but get Alien.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've never played Planescape: Torment. Is it worth playing nowadays, or is it too unapproachable at this point?

Get it, the gameplay is rocky but to this day it has some of the best writing in video games. Especially with the recent renaissance of the genre, now's a perfect time to see one of the most influential games in it.

E: also Alien: Isolation is incredible, legitimately scary and tense.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Awesome! posted:

i cant imagine king arthurs gold still has much of a playerbase

http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=king+arthurs+gold wow 52 today

Thanks for saving me on this one.

FunkMonkey posted:

Get it, the gameplay is rocky but to this day it has some of the best writing in video games. Especially with the recent renaissance of the genre, now's a perfect time to see one of the most influential games in it.

E: also Alien: Isolation is incredible, legitimately scary and tense.

Ok but is isolation scary . It's for my fiance who wants a scary game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Turd Herder posted:

I'd recommend 3. Quiplash is great and a must have and Tee KO is a big hit in my friend group. Not getting fibbage is unfortunate but honestly it's the weakest of those three imo.

Trivia Murder Party is also quite fun.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Turd Herder posted:

http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=king+arthurs+gold wow 52 today

Thanks for saving me on this one.

Ok but is isolation scary . It's for my fiance who wants a scary game.

Yes, it's legitimately frightening at times. Perfect in the dark with headphones game. Just don't play on easy.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Turd Herder posted:

Overcooked

JB3's TeeKO, Quiplash2 and Trivia Murder Party are better than JB2's games, in my opinion. Quiplash2 allows you to make your own prompts, which is neat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The real answer is to buy every Jackbox and then write a big check to Cookie Masterson for the entirety of your savings.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Quest For Glory II posted:

you could be talking about dark matter but I -think- you're talking about Valdis Story which initially only ended with a comic ABOUT the final boss instead of an actual final boss. that game is as overrated as you claim yeah
I was talking about Dark Matter (which is on sale for 2 bucks, so if you think 2 hours of gameplay is worth 2 bucks, heyooo.) I actually enjoyed Valdis Story (currently under 4 bucks and worth it if you ask me) though I was under the assumption they were actually going to finish it, since I played it back when it only had 2 of the 4 characters implemented. I got pretty far until other games took my interest away.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think Dark Matter was well liked, but yeah it does end so early that you'd think you were playing a demo. Probably a more egregious "uhh it's complete!" ejection than Spacebase's

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

According to the Steam forums, Valdis Story's final boss is now in the game along with a ton of other stuff they always meant to add... so I guess the game actually did get finished. *bumps that up the backlog a bit*

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Okay thread, I got a challenge for ya.

I'm looking for some fun or decent action and platformer games, bundles are allowed, and the total cost should be 8 bucks or less.

Hit me with your best shot!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm looking for some fun or decent action and platformer games, bundles are allowed, and the total cost should be 8 bucks or less.

Copy Kitty! It's like Megaman, but more creative!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

RIVE, two tribes' final game, is like an arcadey twin-stick master blaster, it's balls to the wall. $7.49

wuppo was one of my favorite games of 2016, a game in the style of the old freeware hit Untitled Story, it's an overflowingly-charming open world game where you are kicked out of your apartment and adventure around an extremely cute land. $6

If you don't own shovel knight yet, you could try Spectre of Torment standalone at $8. bear in mind that buying the shovel knight treasure trove gets you all of the additional campaigns though

also echoing copy kitty, which was my #1 indie game of 2016

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 23, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

If you don't own shovel knight yet, you could try Spectre of Torment standalone at $8. bare in mind that buying the shovel knight treasure trove gets you all of the additional campaigns though

I bought Hollow Knight previously so I thought Shovel Knight might be worth a look too, but the treasure trove price is TOO HIGH, it's a bummer there isn't a standard version anymore.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
What's the best way to impulse buy and be able to have buyer's remorse?

I've just added about 20 games to my cart, can I buy them and then return any number of them within two weeks if I regret my purchase? Does Steam get picky about it?

Cable fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 23, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

Circa Infinity could be considered an action/platformer. It's 3 dollars and I enjoyed it tremendously. It's a real brain workout.

It would in theory be a great game to speedrun since it's got some neat little tricks in it to go real fast in at least the first half of the game, but nobody has uploaded a complete speedrun to youtube or anywhere else that I can find! It's frustrating.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

Cable posted:

I've just added about 20 games to my cart, can I buy them and then return any number of them within two weeks if they're not my jam? Does Steam get picky about it?

It's not any number but they're pretty lenient.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Reading is never outdated. Buy it!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Has anyone played Pang Adventures? It kinda looks like a pale imitation of the originals, but hoping it's at least fun in co-op for $5.

Turd Herder posted:

I would say get both, but if you have to pick one, #2 is better.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yay, shadow of mordor runs on my pc and its fun, thanks thread!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

wuppo was one of my favorite games of 2016, a game in the style of the old freeware hit Untitled Story, it's an overflowingly-charming open world game where you are kicked out of your apartment and adventure around an extremely cute land. $6

This game looks great and up my alley from just the first steam trailer, thanks for the recommendation

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I bought Giga Wrecker since it had fairly positive reviews, and in the first proper dungeon after the tutorials I came to a puzzle where you need to knock down debris to make your way up to a platform with a mandatory terminal. But no matter where I whack it at, or how I approach it, it doesn't come close. If that's what it has at the beginning I don't think I want to bother seeing what's at the end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Justin_Brett posted:

I bought Giga Wrecker since it had fairly positive reviews, and in the first proper dungeon after the tutorials I came to a puzzle where you need to knock down debris to make your way up to a platform with a mandatory terminal. But no matter where I whack it at, or how I approach it, it doesn't come close. If that's what it has at the beginning I don't think I want to bother seeing what's at the end.

Oof, thanks for the heads up. Just zapped that off the wishlist.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Justin_Brett posted:

WOW that looks fun! And it's from GAME FREAK!? :what:

Okay I know what games to buy, but can't decide which ones to spend right now.

I'm trying to stick to my budget and I have to choose between Giga Wrecker, or Circa Infinity and RIVE. Which one should I go for?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cable posted:

I've just added about 20 games to my cart, can I buy them and then return any number of them within two weeks if I regret my purchase? Does Steam get picky about it?

If you buy them all at the same time, steam refunds them all at the same time. Buy individually, but don't be a huge dick about their refund policy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

WOW that looks fun! And it's from GAME FREAK!? :what:
game freak also did Tembo the Badass Elephant for Steam, which could've been an awesome DKC clone had it not established ridiculous collectathon gates that actively work against the "go fast" playstyle of the game

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
got quake 4, singularity, and quantum break. I'm on a somewhat better than mediocre shooters kick.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

It is pretty unapproachable. The writing is well regarded but the gameplay is bad enough that the thread for it recommends cheating to make it easier frequently. I've played most of the D&D games, but I've never been able to tolerate more than an hour or two of Planescape; just enough to get out of the tutorial area. Since the good part of the game is the writing anyways you might find the lp a better value.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oof, thanks for the heads up. Just zapped that off the wishlist.

It's also incorrectly labelled as a Metroidvania I think, which is why I was interested in it. You can warp around but it's really just a puzzle platformer.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any chance that Stardew Valley gets a steeper discount this year? Are the devs adding more stuff to it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

It's also incorrectly labelled as a Metroidvania I think, which is why I was interested in it. You can warp around but it's really just a puzzle platformer.
a lot of games are labelled as Metroidvanias that aren't, it's a pet peeve of mine

I think people just see an open world and say METROIDVANIA because of dark souls

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any chance that Stardew Valley gets a steeper discount this year? Are the devs adding more stuff to it?

Multiplayer is coming sometime this year(or maybe next).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The next big expected update is the addition of multiplayer which is scheduled sometime this year.

I don't know if it will discount deeper, but steam says I've played 250 hours of it so I think I got my money's worth.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How are Dex and Shadowrun: Hong Kong for Cyberpunk Fun?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Lakbay posted:

How are Dex and Shadowrun: Hong Kong for Cyberpunk Fun?

Both are great. Dex was a ton of fun. I couldn't stop playing it, binged it over a few days with all my free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Is Quantum Break actually fun?

• Locked thread