Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Plant isn't closing, the money was used to automate more things so people lost their jobs. They're still building American though!

i worked through one of the p+w plants closing, next what'll happen is move a business using to another location while trying to convince as many union people as possible to finally loving retire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Built in America, by an American terminator Robot.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

carrier is owned by utc, along with electric boat, pratt and whitney, and others

Electric Boat is owned by General Dynamics

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

M_Gargantua posted:

Electric Boat is owned by General Dynamics

i meant otis. i knew a guy who worked at both.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Plant isn't closing, the money was used to automate more things so people lost their jobs. They're still building American though!

The Invisible Hand of the Free Market™ at work!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Had a dude from the FBI come talk to my network security class about counter intelligence, and he had a case where they caught a guy trying to gain access to the... NSA I think who had been on the chinese payroll for 25,000 who failed because he failed the interview process. Called the dude a cheap date.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"Mama please stop saying cusses and screaming cause I don't want you to get shooted"

Hang that goddamn retard jury.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-video-from-aftermath-of-castile-shooting-shows-girls-bravery/

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

"Mama please stop saying cusses and screaming cause I don't want you to get shooted"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-video-from-aftermath-of-castile-shooting-shows-girls-bravery/

Ok America had a good run but it's about time to call it quits. Burn the whole thing down and start over, there's just no remodeling something this rotten.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Ok America had a good run but it's about time to call it quits. Burn the whole thing down and start over, there's just no remodeling something this rotten.

Good news, we're hosed.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

B-b-b-but the cop smelled the reefer marijuanas and feared for his life

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Who the gently caress besides boomers in TYOOL 2017 thinks Marijuana causes anything but hunger for junk food, obnoxious music, and sleepiness?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Cops who shoot black guys.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bird cooch posted:

Cops who shoot black guys.

ALLEGEDLY

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bird cooch posted:

Cops who need an excuse to shoot black guys.

mild fix

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can the family take that cop to civil court? Kind of like an OJ situation?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/878198126347141120

Does anyone have any good info on why this is happening? I know they say Qatar is funding terrorism, but so is KSA and the rest of the GCC do too so ???

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

The civil suit was filed pretty much immediately.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

They'd be stupid not to, the city already said they are firing the cop, and I doubt, especially with the new videos, that he'd stand a chance in civil court.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Does anyone have any good info on why this is happening? I know they say Qatar is funding terrorism, but so is KSA and the rest of the GCC do too so ???

I think there was an increasing amount of heat on KSA wrt to human rights abuses and wahabbiasm. This is a chance to say hey it's not us it's them! while also trying to isolate what could become/is a significant regional who is also allies with iran

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Well Iran has done a lot more to fight ISIS than KSA has...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

They'd be stupid not to, the city already said they are firing the cop, and I doubt, especially with the new videos, that he'd stand a chance in civil court.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The civil suit was filed pretty much immediately.

Good. I hope they take him for everything he's worth and then some. I'm not usually a person to root for someone to kill themselves but I wouldn't mind him having a conversation with Michelle Carter. Watching that video with his little girl saying to calm down so they don't shoot? And for some reason her saying "shooted" just adds to her innocence and makes it just that much more heartbreaking. This is her reality for the rest of her life and that video makes me physically angry.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 23, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/878184781594415104

Don't worry guys, the dems got your back on this healthcare thing:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/877965285340438528

I've heard some talk about that the dems want this poo poo bill to pass so they have better chances of getting elected in mid terms

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 23, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The tweet says "US base closed" but the article says "Turkish base" FYI.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Someone briefly describe what the Qatar crisis is? Or point me to an article that does so. I understand it's about supporting terrorism but why is Qatar suddenly more egregious than other countries that do the same thing?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I thought this might be topical. I stopped off at a small Tesco yesterday to grab some Whisky for a lunchtime meeting and the store was on fire. People were casually walking past the flames and using the self serve tills while inhaling all that smoke.

I guess Londoners don't give a gently caress.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

TBeats posted:

Someone briefly describe what the Qatar crisis is? Or point me to an article that does so. I understand it's about supporting terrorism but why is Qatar suddenly more egregious than other countries that do the same thing?
That list makes pretty clear that the whole kerfuffle is Saudi Arabia ending a message all its little neighbors that their only option is to relinquish their sovereignty and be good little satellites of Saudi will.

Basically, the July Crisis without even the assassination of a Saudi prince to justify the list of demands made. The list appears to be intentionally unacceptable to Qatar, which is a sign of Bad Things To Come.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

The tweet says "US base closed" but the article says "Turkish base" FYI.

Yeah if they actually wanted to shut down Al Udeid, the whole thing is probably a non-starter with the US.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

MORNINGWOOD:

the few

the proud

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
[Turkey now ahead of the US, UK in the race to see who can crater their nation the fastest:

quote:

Turkish schools to stop teaching evolution, official says

Board of education chairman says subject is debatable, controversial and too complicated for students

Evolution will no longer be taught in Turkish schools, a senior education official has said, in a move likely to raise the ire of the country’s secular opposition.

Alpaslan Durmuş, who chairs the board of education, said evolution was debatable, controversial and too complicated for students.

“We believe that these subjects are beyond their [students] comprehension,” said Durmuş in a video published on the education ministry’s website.

Durmuş said a chapter on evolution was being removed from ninth grade biology course books, and the subject postponed to the undergraduate period. Another change to the curriculum may reduce the amount of time that students spend studying the legacy of secularism.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

TBeats posted:

The way I've heard it explained is that tensions have been ramping up between them ever since Qatar started getting wealthy (with things like feeling like Al Jazeera was complicit in the Arab Spring/etc), that the 'funding terrorism' thing angle got a big rhetorical boost after Qatar paid potentially around a billion dollars to free a kidnapped member of the royal family, and that Trump co-touching the orb with King Salman lessened the fear of US resistance.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

OtspIII posted:

The way I've heard it explained is that tensions have been ramping up between them ever since Qatar started getting wealthy (with things like feeling like Al Jazeera was complicit in the Arab Spring/etc), that the 'funding terrorism' thing angle got a big rhetorical boost after Qatar paid potentially around a billion dollars to free a kidnapped member of the royal family, and that Trump co-touching the orb with King Salman lessened the fear of US resistance.

Can someone paste that article? I am seeing a paywall.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/878184781594415104

Don't worry guys, the dems got your back on this healthcare thing:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/877965285340438528

I've heard some talk about that the dems want this poo poo bill to pass so they have better chances of getting elected in mid terms

Of course they do, dude. Meanwhile Chancellor Pelosi is trying to make sure none of the upcoming candidates campaign on UHC. That way, they can repeal the ACA repeal and pretend like its progress and not merely the R's and D's returning to the previous half-assed compromise that half-way appeases both bases once the Freedom Caucus CHUDs most likely get primary challenged and lose

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
giving a militant group a billion bucks after they snatched up one of your large sons after they got lost isn't some clever way of laundering money to terrorists, you can do that under the table

its a humiliation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

giving a militant group a billion bucks after they snatched up one of your large sons after they got lost isn't some clever way of laundering money to terrorists, you can do that under the table

its a humiliation

Paying an enormous amount of money to get your stupid kid that was captured while falconing back from militants is some CK2 poo poo.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Zeris posted:

Can someone paste that article? I am seeing a paywall.
It's not the article in question, but this one from the FT a few weeks ago covers the same topic and included a fair bit of original material. https://www.ft.com/content/dd033082-49e9-11e7-a3f4-c742b9791d43

quote:

The $1bn hostage deal that enraged Qatar’s Gulf rivals

Doha reportedly paid al-Qaeda affiliate and Iran to win release of royal hunting party

Saudi Arabia moves to tame upstart Qatar
4 HOURS AGO

by: Erika Solomon in Beirut
Qatar paid up to $1bn to release members of the Gulf state’s royal family who were kidnapped in Iraq while on a hunting trip, according to people involved in the hostage deal — one of the triggers behind Gulf states’ dramatic decision to cut ties with Doha.

Commanders of militant groups and government officials in the region told the Financial Times that Doha spent the money in a transaction that secured the release of 26 members of a Qatari falconry party in southern Iraq and about 50 militants captured by jihadis in Syria. By their telling, Qatar paid off two of the most frequently blacklisted forces of the Middle East in one fell swoop: an al-Qaeda affiliate fighting in Syria and Iranian security officials.

The deal, which was concluded in April, heightened concerns among Qatar’s neighbours about the small gas-rich state’s role in a region plagued by conflict and bitter rivalries. And on Monday, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain took the extraordinary step of cutting off diplomatic ties and transport links to Qatar, alleging the country fuels extremism and terrorism.

“The ransom payments are the straw that broke the camel’s back,” said one Gulf observer.

Doha denies it backs terrorist groups and dismissed the blockade by its neighbours as “founded on allegations that have no basis in fact”. It said it could not immediately respond to a request for comment on the hostage deal. But a person close to the Qatari government acknowledged that “payments” were made. The person was unaware of the amounts or where the money went.

Qatar, a US ally that hosts an American military base, has long drawn the ire of its neighbours, who consider Doha an irritating regional maverick. The world’s top exporter of liquefied natural gas, it has used its immense wealth to court relations from London to Washington and Tokyo.

But critics accuse it of seeking to punch above its weight diplomatically, meddling in regional affairs and using the Arabic channel of Al Jazeera, the satellite television network it set up, as a propaganda tool.

Doha has a history of reaching out to all kinds of controversial groups, from rebels in Sudan’s Darfur region to the Taliban in Afghanistan and Hamas in Gaza. Qatar touts itself as a neutral player that can act as an intermediary in regional conflicts. But its critics, notably Saudi Arabia and the UAE, allege it also uses such interventions to play both sides and fund radical Islamist groups, most recently in Libya and Syria. And to Doha’s critics, the hostage deal was further evidence of that role.

“If you want to know how Qatar funds jihadis, look no further than the hostage deal,” said a Syrian opposition figure who has worked with an al-Qaeda mediator on hostage swaps in Syria. “And this isn’t the first — it is one of a series since the beginning of the war.”

The Financial Times spoke to people involved on both sides of the hostage swap deal, including two government officials in the region, three Iraqi Shia militia leaders and two Syrian opposition figures.

Around $700m was paid both to Iranian figures and the regional Shia militias they support, according to regional government officials. They added that $200m to $300m went to Islamist groups in Syria, most of that to Tahrir al-Sham, a group with links to al-Qaeda.

Those who spoke to the FT said the deal highlighted how Qatar has allegedly used hostage payments to bankroll jihadis in Syria. But to its Gulf neighbours, the biggest issue is likely to be the fact that Doha could have paid off their main regional rival, Iran, which they accuse of fuelling conflicts in the Arab world.

This particular saga began when an Iranian-backed Iraqi Shia militia, known as Kata’eb Hizbollah, kidnapped the Qataris in December 2015. Three Iraqi militia leaders say the hostages were held in Iran.

Kata’eb Hizbollah is an Iraqi group but it is seen as having links with Iran’s main regional proxy, Hizbollah, the Lebanese militant group. The latter is helping Iran back Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president, in his country’s six-year conflict.

Two regional diplomats said they believed one of the Iraqi group’s motives for the kidnapping was to give Hizbollah and Iran leverage to negotiate the release of Shia fighters kidnapped by the radical Sunni group Tahrir al-Sham in Syria.

Tahrir al-Sham, in previous iterations, was an al-Qaeda branch. It claims it has broken the connection, but the international community still views it as an affiliate.

The hostage transaction was also linked to a separate agreement to facilitate the evacuation of four towns in Syria, two surrounded by jihadi forces and two besieged by Shia militias, say Syrian rebels and diplomats.

One western diplomat said the arrangement provided Qatar the “cover” to finance the hostage deal. “Iran and Qatar had long been looking for a cover to do this [hostage] deal, and they finally found it,” he said.

According to two opposition figures with close contact with the groups paid, Qatar used the evacuation arrangement to pay $120m-$140m to Tahrir al-Sham. Another $80m, they said, went to the Islamist group Ahrar al-Sham.

“The Qataris pay anyone and everyone, to what end? They have only brought about our ruin,” said a Syrian rebel commander, who gave details of the payments but asked not to be identified.

A regional Arab official said the total paid to jihadi groups was closer to $300m.

“So, if you add that up to the other $700m they paid to Iran and its proxies, that means Qatar actually spent about a billion dollars on this crazy deal,” he said.

The Iraqi Shia militia commanders in Iraq, all from hardline Iranian-backed groups, said that, to their knowledge, Iran had obtained around $400m after giving them a payment they would not disclose. They agreed to share some details because they were unhappy about their share of the payment.

“They [the Iranians] took the lion’s share,” said a member of one of the Iranian-backed Shia militias in Iraq. “That’s caused some of us to be frustrated, because that was not the deal.”

“The hostage deal was perhaps a miscalculation,” said Gerd Nonneman, professor of international relations at Georgetown University in Qatar. “This would have been done in good faith in order to return hostages — there would have been no intention to funnel money to Iran.”

Another confusing chapter of the deal is that Haidar al-Abadi, the Iraqi prime minister, said in April his government had seized hundreds of millions of dollars, which Iraqi officials said arrived on Qatari planes “illegally”. It is not clear if this is money is part of the sums mentioned above or an additional amount.

“The money all came in suitcases. Can you imagine this?” said one senior official.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Next quatri I see I'm stuffing into my trunk.
Holy poo poo what a pay day.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Fair.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
That's quite a way to fund terrorism...

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Any bets on if the Qatari's did follow through with all the demands and the US did shut the base how long it would take before the Qatari's where invaded by one of the demanding parties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

KildarX posted:

Any bets on if the Qatari's did follow through with all the demands and the US did shut the base how long it would take before the Qatari's where invaded by one of the demanding parties?

Depends on if Haliburton got the reconstruction gig.

• Locked thread