Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

so in a part of that huge dump I got the other day and who even knows or cares if its real but

hello

• "That's our NPE (new player experience), that's it. You come in, you play [what was called SQ42], you're in our universe already, it's an easy transition. Credits roll and you're at your ship and suddenly with all these other players and it opens up and you say, 'Wow.'"
Oh backers will be wowed alright.

TheAgent posted:

quote:

The new [Item 2.0] is a disaster [for the art and design teams]. We are rebuilding entire cockpits for ships that haven't been touched in years. Then someone new, it's always someone new, says, "Hey, this ship looks a bit dated, you think?" and we all immediately shut the gently caress up because the next thing you know the entire ship is being redesigned, again. Or maybe for the fourth time. Meanwhile we still have to design all the new elements directly into the cockpit. How can you do that when the entire ship comes back and everything is in a different place?
LOOOOOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.
It's so bad.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I still don't get why no one has taken them to court over this yet

Hello Mr Roberts I purchased this item from your company for 15 thousand us dollars over 3 years ago, where is the item I paid for

Err umm eeee you see , Ben help me out here

Case closed , pay this idiot his money back plus damages for being an idiot

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
CIG hire me I'll slide into meetings and stuff and say "That looks a bit dated now doesn't it?" about whatever you want on Chris' behalf so he doesn't even need to turn up to the office.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Sappo569 posted:

I still don't get why no one has taken them to court over this yet

Hello Mr Roberts I purchased this item from your company for 15 thousand us dollars over 3 years ago, where is the item I paid for

Err umm eeee you see , Ben help me out here

Case closed , pay this idiot his money back plus damages for being an idiot

They give refunds if the idiot makes too much noise. It's smart. Only smart thing Croberts & Co. does.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So in today's AtV where they were flogging the latest concept ship/bike, they also had a segment (FF to 26:46) about SolEd. Their solar system editor.

It's hilarious that they are showing a tool - outside of the CryEditor that's basically barebones for entity placement. So they've moved away from the procedural worlds now and shown that they have to build the entire game world - by hand. In an editor. Q.E.D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwVI6_xWqc

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

D_Smart posted:

So in today's AtV where they were flogging the latest concept ship/bike, they also had a segment (FF to 26:46) about SolEd. Their solar system editor.

It's hilarious that they are showing a tool - outside of the CryEditor that's basically barebones for entity placement. So they've moved away from the procedural worlds now and shown that they have to build the entire game world - by hand. In an editor. Q.E.D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwVI6_xWqc

Croberts is still creating basic tools for the game. They are TELLING BACKERS in hyped videos that they are still creating basic tools to create the game. 5 Years Later. Backers don't care. I cannot wait until these idiots realize that they've lost their money....

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

MinorInconvenience posted:

Croberts is still creating basic tools for the game. They are TELLING BACKERS in hyped videos that they are still creating basic tools to create the game. 5 Years Later. Backers don't care. I cannot wait until these idiots realize that they've lost their money....

Yeah but once they finish refactoring their pipelines, it'll be easy to churn out dozens of planets a day.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

The Titanic posted:

Your roof texture is very non-fidelitous. Better refactor now before they begin.

Be sure to install the ceiling lights first thing though so everybody can see what they're building. After that I suggest you begin landscaping immediately, followed up with windows. Probably do your roof next after the refactor and think about the color you want the foundation to be.

By then though you'll know that your lights aren't the right color of white, so you'll need to get better lights. Have them install the kitchen sink so you can verify that it is deep enough for your future dishes.

:perfect:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MinorInconvenience posted:

They give refunds if the idiot makes too much noise. It's smart. Only smart thing Croberts & Co. does.

Sure , but like I said to other filthy leavers here

Don't give them any heads up , just bam see you in court Robertssssss's

Taking a refund is admitting defeat , The goons I know wouldn't admit defeat

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

phosdex posted:

Yeah but once they finish refactoring their pipelines, it'll be easy to churn out dozens of planets a day.

They have been saying this every year since like 2013 which makes it all the better. Every year Lucy puts down the football and every year the backers run up to kick it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile, over there...I am honestly done with giving a poo poo.

quote:

We all know it. Some of us don't want to admit it.
Star Citizen will be amazing.
But the amount of delays, and the amount of constant "PR" and "sales" happening is making me lose my appetite for Star Citizen.
I am getting tired of having jay-pegs of various things shoved in my face, with an implicit statement of "Buy this shiny thing with all the shiny exclusive things that come with it, and support our project!"
I am getting tired of the frequent, tone-deaf flubs by the PR team.
I am getting tired of waiting for the Banu Merchantman and the Carrack.
I am getting tired of waiting for something tangible to come of Squadron 42's development.
I am tired of Chris Roberts giving us estimated time frames and then missing them like how a fascist misses the broad side of a barn with his Luger.
I am tired of Star Citizen.
I would take a break, but I am a victim of the "sunken cost" fallacy, and therefore am far too invested in seeing this game become a success.
Honestly, I would be happy if CIG would just dial back their PR instead of maintaining their constant "hype" in a clearly monetized approach to maintain a revenue stream.
I'm just gonna say this:
CIG seems to be forgetting that their main means of "marketing" is their original and veteran backers, as well as their intermediate-term backers. With the moves they've done to start adding "forum badges" to pre-sale purchases, in addition to other exclusives (skins for the Eclipse, anyone?), and their failure to consider possibly retroactively updating prior original concept sale ships to have these kinds of perks tells me that they aren't thinking all that much.
Regardless. I'm just tired of all this hype and waiting. If I were in CR's shoes, I'd refocus the "PR" on Squadron 42. Start putting out trailers, show us the gameplay.
I'm tired of hearing about 3.0.
This has been your monthly rant from your neighborly tired as hell guy.
Edit: And no, deliberately making us wait for the better part of a year for decent content drops is not a sound strategy, what with Gamescom coming in August. We've had that routine for four years. Enough.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Sappo569 posted:

Sure , but like I said to other filthy leavers here

Don't give them any heads up , just bam see you in court Robertssssss's

Taking a refund is admitting defeat , The goons I know wouldn't admit defeat

Yeah, but it costs too much money for rear end in a top hat lawyers and such (all lawyers are greedy assholes). No lawyer would take such a case on contingency.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

BeigeJacket posted:

Croberto has no vision. There's nothing in his wretched game that isn't a shabby knock-off of one or two sci-fi franchises from 40 years ago.

Edit: Also does the thread have any recommendation for a decent sci fi novel? My flag has always firmly been planted in the cyberpunk camp, so I'm used to near future corporate hellholes with bionic implants and underdog hacker scum popping speed and contemplating their ennui. Never really got into this deep space opera stuff.

I like Alastair Reynolds for hard sci fi space opera (and has several novels set in dystopian futures), and David Weber's Honorverse series (first novel: On Basilisk Station, available from the publisher as a free download in a variety of formats) because I found that I like Horatio Hornblower in Space.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Thread good again.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

no_recall posted:

Thread good again.

yeah, it's always good when CIG release something because it's always worth laughing at

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Cat needs a tiny fedora and leather jacket with fidelity. Needs to fist fight nazis too.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hot balls man no homo posted:

They would have to go to court and say "Your honor, we were too incompetent to know that what we promised was impossible. Yes we took in over 150 million but we did so without understanding the Sisyphean task we had set before us. We spent it all (including paying ourselves millions) under the assumption that we could eventually throw enough money at a computer to make the BDSSE. We were dumb. We're sorry."

we're not talking about incompetence

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

obey the fist is literally the most pathetic piece of poo poo involved in all this. He is as dumb as a rock. The only saving grace is how much we get him to scurry around doing pointless busy work while he thinks he's doing something valid :lol:

Want to just empty quote this because it's true, but I just can't. But it's still true.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

trucutru posted:

we're not talking about incompetence

Sure we are. I doubt there are emails at CIG with them laughing at the idiot backers. Just remember, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
gas giants still aren't, or going to be, in star citizen as they don't have the tech for it

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwVI6_xWqc&t=2130s

100 star systems definitely coming
we promise
stop getting refunds, thanks

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8IguhQqhAg

BGE2 making GBS threads all over Star Citizen lol.

I have no idea how the hell Beyond Good and Evil 2 is somehow competing against loving Star Citizen out of nowhere, but uh... this looks and moves really really good. I'm looking forward to seeing it release before I die and I'll probably play it on PS4.

I never thought I'd see Star Citizen getting schooled by a game with cussing monkeys and pig men, but wow.

Wow, CIG. Guess the only thing you nailed was the fact you had to come out years ago to avoid being stale.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

my fav tho is that they are selling these in packs of 5

like forget about how you are even going to transport these or how you can even get five loving people together to do anything, naw, just buy 5 of them

I hope the pack is called "The Server Crash" or "More Bikes Than Players".

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

nawledgelambo posted:

gas giants still aren't, or going to be, in star citizen as they don't have the tech for it

lmao

we promise

We've NOT GOT THE TECH FOR IT YET! HAAAAAAAAAAAA! Get refunds now, idiots!!!!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

my fav tho is that they are selling these in packs of 5

like forget about how you are even going to transport these or how you can even get five loving people together to do anything, naw, just buy 5 of them

*Spawns second Nox*

*First Nox disappears*

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

Actually, do

This game has style. Sort of like zany Jamaica meets space blade runner.

I bet they didn't even have to refactor any leather jackets.

I really hope somebody showed this to Chris Roberts, and it played out with him throwing himself into a firey rage. 5 years to focus on just graphics, and your stuff looks like cookie cutter background noise art that's not supposed to take center stage.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

nawledgelambo posted:

lmao

we promise

Isn't the like, only planet they've got a gas giant?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

just imaging CIG's lovely physics system trying to hold a bunch of shoeboxes stacked in one of their ships provides me with large amounts of joy.

Thats actually a pretty funny thing to imagine. As soon as the commandos begin to move their ships, the boxes would start flaking out. One of the port rings would attach to a box as the other destroy the ship and kill random commandos in the area. In the distance you would see a giant space ring and a tiny cargo box slowly flying toward..... im gonna stop here.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Titanic posted:

This game has style. Sort of like zany Jamaica meets space blade runner.

I bet they didn't even have to refactor any leather jackets.

I really hope somebody showed this to Chris Roberts, and it played out with him throwing himself into a firey rage. 5 years to focus on just graphics, and your stuff looks like cookie cutter background noise art that's not supposed to take center stage.

that's the thing that sets this apart from SC so starkly. It's not that they are actually doing what CRoberts said he would do, but it looks like it's being created with real passion, not just what you can scrape up from some Thai models-for-rent company and 400 interns.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I just hope they can show BGE2 has plenty of thing in it that make it fun to play. The tech is definitely shaping up but that will mean gently caress all if there's no game.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Thats actually a pretty funny thing to imagine. As soon as the commandos begin to move their ships, the boxes would start flaking out. One of the port rings would attach to a box as the other destroy the ship and kill random commandos in the area. In the distance you would see a giant space ring and a tiny cargo box slowly flying toward..... im gonna stop here.

I'm sure CIG are up to the challenge of programming an MMO that not only has millions of ships at all times, but each ship has dozens if not hundreds or even thousands of independent items rattling around inside each one.

gently caress the tax

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 23, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

This is the pupil-to-planet middle finger time stamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8IguhQqhAg&feature=youtu.be&t=285

:lol:

And it looked like the guy actually knew how to operate his game. I unfortunately could not understand a word he said but this is fabulous and I bet this will come out and be playable before Star Citizen has non-canned animated loading screens to transition from space to CryEngine planet level.

I think these guys literally showed CIGs last 5 years of development up as amateur in less than 20 minutes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Titanic posted:

I unfortunately could not understand a word he said

glorious land of freedom citizen spotted

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

starkebn posted:

I just hope they can show BGE2 has plenty of thing in it that make it fun to play. The tech is definitely shaping up but that will mean gently caress all if there's no game.

But what about th fidelity? The FIDELITY!?!?!!! We can make our own game from the scraps if there is enough fidelity!

Goddamn I cannot wait for tomorrow's update to the schedule. I suspect it will be glorious!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

I think these guys literally showed CIGs last 5 years of development up as amateur in less than 20 minutes.

They did. Consider how many years off CIG is from delivering anything remotely playable. Then consider how many games that have already come out, and how many currently in development, look tons better than SC looks right now.

SC is already dated. How much more dated will it be when we get the MVP?

This is the worst type of death march.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Sarsapariller posted:

Isn't the like, only planet they've got a gas giant?

which is why that statement is 10 times funnier

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

I am in my purple hotpants preparing myself

Cute! :)

I've got the same for working out and yoga.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

And it looked like the guy actually knew how to operate his game. I unfortunately could not understand a word he said but this is fabulous and I bet this will come out and be playable before Star Citizen has non-canned animated loading screens to transition from space to CryEngine planet level.

Its amazing that Ubisoft forgot to hold a UbiCon for this reveal, instead to show it off from a youtube video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lazrin posted:

no, fool. it validates everything cig is doing that you said couldn't be done.

I should ignore you but you're sort of a dumb gently caress.

This stuff has been around since Elite: Frontier and probably in other stuff like it. It's hard but it's not impossible.

Plus they are making a single player story driven game, not a The Matrix in space with everything in life plus 1,000,000 players fighting twitch space battles in massive fleets.

The only thing this helps to prove is that CIG is a terrible development studio.